What's on your mind?

Apoc

Ad blocker is more specified...In their simplest form, scripts are basically instruction programs. Javascript is specifically a type of coding language that essentially controls a lot of the multimedia on a website. So when you use the search bar in Bandcamp or click on an embedded video, say here on this site...that's a program written with Javascript allowing that to happen.

Websites use scripts to basically tell your computer how the website is supposed to appear on your screen, where the hyperlinks should be placed, where the images go, etc. There's a lot more they can be used for, but that's like the bare bones, basic thing they do. Not all of them are necessary for the website to work though, and websites can put a lot of extra clutter on your computer which can slow it down or even lock it up while it's trying to load a site. A script blocker essentially allows you to choose which scripts to let through when your computer talks to a site, so you can cut all the extraneous shit out. There is a small learning curve to using them though, because unless you're computer literate, you have to go through and figure out which scripts need to be there and which scripts don't...basically by unblocking things until the site functions

My computer was definitely an extreme case, though. It was closing in on 10 years when I finally replaced it, so it was really getting to a point where it just couldn't process some of the things a website was trying to tell it to do. If it's only five years old, I doubt you're at that point yet. I'd stick with just clearing the cache every so often and see if maybe it doesn't just clear up on it's own after an update or something.

My 97 yr old aunt is current sitting in her retirement village with no power, record high flood waters all around, flood water from the Murray/Dowling system still yet to reach them and more rain due this week. Experts said yesterday the retirement home area was going to stay dry and with the town cut off there was little options but to stay anyway. We asked her if she was concerned and she said, "Nope, I've got plenty of food that can be eaten cold, I've got no appointments next week and Jack in the unit across has a boat. All I have to do is make sure I'm first across the road when the call comes!" Good on her!!

7 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I actually agree that having a small group of villagers or hobbits (who would most likely be from an isolated inbred population) comprised of every ethnic minority under the sun is visually distracting. They should have done it properly and made all the elves black, all the hobbits Chinese and all the dwarves jews. Or interchange into whatever stereotype is least offensive. That would make more sense because it would be a consistent stylistic choice. 

I totally agree.  I find some of the modern casting decisions weird where they go for diversity but don't look at cultural contexts or geographic realism.

Eg in excellent Sandman series, there's a scene set in the 18th century where Sandman argues with a white guy that owning shares in slavery related businesses is bad.  They then only show well dressed black people who are clearly not slaves in the same time period which completely undermines the historical aspect of it (ie "black people oppressed and enslaved, but we never show a black slave and instead show them in nice suits.").  Shows like  Bridgerton (which my wife watches) are even more absurd with a lot of British aristocracy being from Indian subcontinent or Africa.

It's actually a form of white washing and historical revisionism that removes some of the most ugly examples of our history and replaces them with diverse utopias.  It also irritates me due to relative historical inaccuracy and that's one of my biggest pet peeves (it's why I don't enjoy most war movies despite being an avid fan in the study of warfare).

As for travel, casual travel was largely impossible for most people in pre-modern societies.  It would take days to travel to the next town (eg in early 1800s 200km journey between Launceston and Hobart took 3-4 days). 

Prior to industrial revolution most people lived in horrific poverty and lived mainly on subsistence farming and thus couldn't really travel as it was a luxury.  Exceptions were where life threatening situations forced a migratory move or indeed slavery in a lot of parts of the world or where you had migratory groups looking for land eg Vikings or Goths or Turks.  This  tended to result in violence and very often cultural or even actual  obliteration of the target group.  Often it was more akin to military occupation than any kind of peaceful coexistence.  

Same applies all ways.  I wouldn't expect white people making an appearance in a movie set in 5th century India or in a movie based on African mythology.

Wedding day now just 5 days out following two cancelled dates thanks to the pandemic.  Final few days of picking up family from airports and train stations to get them to hotels and by Wednesday all should be in place giving me a couple of days to chill whilst future Mrs MacabreEternal stays at the hotel in the run up to Friday.

Mostly looking forwards to the honeymoon in a tower within its own grounds.  Can watch the country burn in comfort whilst people with no understanding of reality battle to take power and apply their version of unreality on us all hoping it sticks with a fortunate few.  If ever there was a time to create huge irony and colonise Britain it is now foreign countries!

7 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Wedding day now just 5 days out following two cancelled dates thanks to the pandemic.  Final few days of picking up family from airports and train stations to get them to hotels and by Wednesday all should be in place giving me a couple of days to chill whilst future Mrs MacabreEternal stays at the hotel in the run up to Friday.

Mostly looking forwards to the honeymoon in a tower within its own grounds.  Can watch the country burn in comfort whilst people with no understanding of reality battle to take power and apply their version of unreality on us all hoping it sticks with a fortunate few.  If ever there was a time to create huge irony and colonise Britain it is now foreign countries!

Congrats in advance dude. My wife and I are going on 26 years. It's not always easy, and there have been plenty of times I've wanted to bury her body in a swamp, but she really does make me a better, happier person. I'm a lucky guy. Good luck and good fortune to you both!

6 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Congrats in advance dude. My wife and I are going on 26 years. It's not always easy, and there have been plenty of times I've wanted to bury her body in a swamp, but she really does make me a better, happier person. I'm a lucky guy. Good luck and good fortune to you both!

Thanks man.  We are 15 years in now and have both been bundled in the car boot en route to the woods when the other has tired of our bullshit on more than one occasion.  Me the humble salesman and her the brutal procurement professional, this truly is a marriage made in hell.

Who da fuk moved Santa's House?

Seems like with all this changing climate, changing weather and changing seasons the North pole has moved too. Apparently what I thought was due south from my veranda is actually 168 degrees.

It does explain why my parents have been complaining about shitty TV reception though. Guess I need to pull the mast down and adjust the antenna this week.

I had best keep my thoughts about that to myself, wow look at that it’s only taken me six months to realise I shouldn’t just blurt Out any and every political thought that comes into my head.

out any and every political thought that comes into my head.

Instead I’m just going to complain about my shoulder, and the fact my arm literally feels like someone has Dalles it in petrol and set it ablaze.

On 10/23/2022 at 8:41 AM, navybsn said:

Ditto dat. 28 years just celebrated----hard to believe-Macabre, may you have a tremendous ride and whether the 1,000 joys and 1,000 sorrows of life. 

On 10/18/2022 at 6:10 PM, Dead1 said:

I totally agree.  I find some of the modern casting decisions weird where they go for diversity but don't look at cultural contexts or geographic realism.

Eg in excellent Sandman series, there's a scene set in the 18th century where Sandman argues with a white guy that owning shares in slavery related businesses is bad.  They then only show well dressed black people who are clearly not slaves in the same time period which completely undermines the historical aspect of it (ie "black people oppressed and enslaved, but we never show a black slave and instead show them in nice suits.").  Shows like  Bridgerton (which my wife watches) are even more absurd with a lot of British aristocracy being from Indian subcontinent or Africa.

It's actually a form of white washing and historical revisionism that removes some of the most ugly examples of our history and replaces them with diverse utopias.  It also irritates me due to relative historical inaccuracy and that's one of my biggest pet peeves (it's why I don't enjoy most war movies despite being an avid fan in the study of warfare).

As for travel, casual travel was largely impossible for most people in pre-modern societies.  It would take days to travel to the next town (eg in early 1800s 200km journey between Launceston and Hobart took 3-4 days). 

Prior to industrial revolution most people lived in horrific poverty and lived mainly on subsistence farming and thus couldn't really travel as it was a luxury.  Exceptions were where life threatening situations forced a migratory move or indeed slavery in a lot of parts of the world or where you had migratory groups looking for land eg Vikings or Goths or Turks.  This  tended to result in violence and very often cultural or even actual  obliteration of the target group.  Often it was more akin to military occupation than any kind of peaceful coexistence.  

Same applies all ways.  I wouldn't expect white people making an appearance in a movie set in 5th century India or in a movie based on African mythology.

In some ways I agree. I'm all in for inclusion and I get it-there are lots of peoples of color that are fantasy fans....its a fanbase demographic but I don't expect to be represented in new Black Panther flick. 

It's fine, but when I watch the new House of Dragon and Rings of Power, I chuckle and think, OK, sure this is all fiction, but exactly how many people of color were in Medieval Europe? OTH, if it's fiction, I guess it can be whatever you want it to be----so what the fuck-go for it. 

1 hour ago, markm said:

Ditto dat. 28 years just celebrated----hard to believe-Macabre, may you have a tremendous ride and whether the 1,000 joys and 1,000 sorrows of life. 

In some ways I agree. I'm all in for inclusion and I get it-there are lots of peoples of color that are fantasy fans....its a fanbase demographic but I don't expect to be represented in new Black Panther flick. 

It's fine, but when I watch the new House of Dragon and Rings of Power, I chuckle and think, OK, sure this is all fiction, but exactly how many people of color were in Medieval Europe? OTH, if it's fiction, I guess it can be whatever you want it to be----so what the fuck-go for it. 

I find it fucks up my level of immersion and suspension of disbelief simply because I have some minor knowledge on how this works.  I like things to be based on some sort of logic even in fantasy (and I say that as a Dungeons and Dragons DM).

By the way if everyone in a LOTR village were dark skinned, I'd be fine with that. 

6 hours ago, Dead1 said:

By the way if everyone in a LOTR village were dark skinned, I'd be fine with that. 

My favourite book as a kid was Magician. It may actually make it into a series (‘The Riftwar Cycle’ Fantasy Books In Works For Television – Deadline), but can't find any more up to date info. 

It should tick the diversity boxes because the "baddies" are an Empire of chinamen, but turn out to just be a different culture and no better or worse than the European-based-cliche Kingdom. And they have more awesome magic. 

There are black people wandering around from a southern continent called Kesh so there is a logical reason to be diverse. Even the main character is a bit ethnically ambiguous, merely described as short and dark haired.  

I have been re-reading it recently, and the writing is not quite as great as I remember, but it could translate well so long as high production values are maintained.

The joy of modern adaptions is that most suck, so expectations can be kept low.