What's on your mind?

Apoc

2 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I’ll just point out that communism and capitalism both breed corruption, as do theological autocracies. Ultimately all uni or bipartisan systems of government are problematic for various reasons.

It's the human condition, innit? We are embodied beings in thrall to our ignorance, greed and anger. Every human devised system will be problematic to some degree.

But moving right along I should point out that THE FESTIVAL OF THE BOOT kicks off tonight with the blameless Eels (and who doesn't love an eel) pitted against their Westie neighbours, the nasty chocolate soldiers, the Cheeters.

2 hours ago, Dead1 said:

True.  Except it's not necessarily been smooth sailing be it ACW or civil rights or whatever.  And I would argue the current system is in need of a massive overhaul from role of president to electoral college to gerrymandering to state/federal rights and responsibility to supreme court ie everything.

It worked in past but is now cumbersome, promotes inertia and doesn't fit with modern expectations of how a state should run.  I would also argue since 1970s it has stopped working for benefit of the American people and now increasingly serves a few rich people.

You are not wrong. The foundations of our system are being sorely tested. If we come through this I can only hope it will make us and our institutions stronger, but that cannot be assumed or even expected at this rate. 

I would point out though that America basically introduced the world to concepts like an individual's inherent right to liberty, peaceful transfer of power, human rights. While it's easy to point out our shortcomings in maintaining those lofty ideals, it is a little ironic because the world would not even be having these types of conversations had the USA not come to be.

2 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Same can be applied to every other country.    Most cultures have a bias towards authoritarianism simply because of factors such as emphasis on collectivism instead of individual.  Most cultures are set up to promote inequality simply because of religious, political and other factors.

This is fascinating. I think we think we know a lot more about why stable countries fall apart than about how they advance. I do appreciate that once a country starts to slide into corruption and authoritarianism and strife it becomes incredibly difficult to reverse that trend.

The problem is people only other get into politics because they are interested in getting power, and those who are interested in seeking to gain power are the type of people who should not have it. I question the motives of even politicians I like, like my man Bernie, or AOC, notice I’m using American examples because we don’t have Progressives in Australian politics… I have two questions though, if they actually had the power to pass the legislation they always advocate for what they actually do it what be content with the watered down directions off those ideas, student loan forgiveness being a good example. 

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

It's the human condition, innit? We are embodied beings in thrall to our ignorance, greed and anger. Every human devised system will be problematic to some degree.

But moving right along I should point out that THE FESTIVAL OF THE BOOT kicks off tonight with the blameless Eels (and who doesn't love an eel) pitted against their Westie neighbours, the nasty chocolate soldiers, the Cheeters.

Humans are simply not geared for "smooth sailing" and it's preposterous to think that could ever change.

In footy news...

The Parramatta Eels have been warned they need to play out of their skins if they want a look-in tonight, as a full-strength Panthers prepare for war.

Penrith gun Nathan Cleary returns to the mix tonight, alongside Jarome Luai who was rested last week, making it one of the strongest sides the minor premiers have fielded in weeks.

“I tell you something that’s going to scare you, Penrith for the first time this year are running out their full-strength team,” footy journalist Paul Kent said ahead of the game. 

“Parramatta need to play the best game they’ve ever played to win,” former NRL star Braith Anasta said on Fox Footy.

The game seems to be going on right now as I speak. Good luck Doc, I see your Eels held their own in the first half, but I'm not holding my breath that the outgunned underdog Eels are going to be able to pull a victory out of their bag of tricks.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

The game seems to be going on right now as I speak. Good luck Doc, I see your Eels held their own in the first half, but I'm not holding my breath that the outgunned underdog Eels are going to be able to pull a victory out of their bag of tricks.

We were over-run in the second half. Some crucial errors and poor Mitch Moses knocked himself silly and had to come off. Next week...

28 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Channel 9 even know no one gives a dam about rugby that’s why they tried, and failed, to buy back the AFL rights.

They don't have to love it. As long as I get to see it I'm happy.

Rugby League. The thinking man's AFL.🙃

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

We were over-run in the second half. Some crucial errors and poor Mitch Moses knocked himself silly and had to come off. Next week...

Essendon Bombers and Brisbane Broncos 4 Life!

I really miss the footy.

11 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Other way around mate, but hey at least it isn’t soccer.

35 minutes ago, navybsn said:

sex crimes, domestic abuse, or drugs

We've got all that, but the pay rates are lower.

Two thrillers tonight. The Canberra Faders beat the Melbourne Scum so the blameless Eels will have to beat the Faders next week.

Then 30 all at the end of 80 minutes, then scoreless extra time, then a field goal in golden point time and the North Qld Cowgirls beat the bloody Sharkies.

It will be blood and guts tomorrow when the Chooks meet the Bunnies.

46 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

We've got all that, but the pay rates are lower.

Two thrillers tonight. The Canberra Faders beat the Melbourne Scum so the blameless Eels will have to beat the Faders next week.

Then 30 all at the end of 80 minutes, then scoreless extra time, then a field goal in golden point time and the North Qld Cowgirls beat the bloody Sharkies.

It will be blood and guts tomorrow when the Chooks meet the Bunnies.

You guys just need to up the pay scale then and you're all set. Really bring you into the modern world.