What's on your mind?

Apoc

32 degrees here today.  Fuck this.  I demand Autumn to appear right now.  This is not part of what I signed up to by living in the UK.  Spent the last four days endlessly tipping bags of slate chippings out into the far corner of the garden in an effort to make it look less like a weed jungle (there is literally an inch thick layer of weed control cloth under there now also).  Not the weather for that activity most certainly.  Another 25 bags should cover it though.

On the plus side though, I can sit outside my house or in the front room most days and watch the farm traffic go by as the local farmers harvest.  Occasional neighbour walks by (there's only 12 houses in the row and everyone pretty much keeps themselves to themselves.  If I am outside a simple "hello" is all that is needed, nobody wants prolonged conversations based on small talk and pleasantries only.  Just civil acknowledgement of our existence is all local folk need here.  Fella down the street now has chickens in his back garden, judging by some of the folks he has visiting him I still suspect he is a knob though but he's a knob with a great source of protein on his backdoor doorstep.  When the apocalypse comes he'll be on an all egg diet as the rest of us live on rat and fox.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:23 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

No possums to worry about here, but I did have to improvise a natural pest deterrent to stop bugs getting at my veggies. I I’ve got a few Italian friends so it’s never really been too much of a problem to get rid of my basil or parsley, or thyme for that matter.

Also suffering from these little beasts, but this summer it is going not so bad. I used to apply some traps and sprays like these to get rid of them. 

2 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Well mate if it’s that much of a problem I will gladly trade with that with you, yeah take the 10° and rain, no really please take it I fucking hate winter.

Hahaha silly Aussie thinks 50° is "winter," probably doesn't have a heating system in his house because there's no need. Yes if Macca doesn't want them then most of us where I live would galdly take that deal, you take our 90° days and in return we'll take your delightfully cool 50° days even when it's raining. Man I'd love it if we could have a nice steady 50° (10°C) all year round. That's like a nice early spring day in late March when we're coming out of the deep freeze and we're getting just enough meltage to where we're starting to be able to see little patches of green showing through from under the snow, and we will finally let ourselves think it's safe to believe spring really is coming.

I basically live outside, summer or winter. I'm lucky to live somewhere where that's possible. It may get in the 20's once a year, snows a quarter inch once a decade. Summer on the other hand is usually tolerable with temps around 95-105 and 75% humidity. Sounds rough but there's normally a seabreeze. I agree that Fall is the best season which I guess is in the 50's for you guys @GoatmasterGeneral. Here we see mid 70-80 and the occasional angry spinny storm. I could do 60's year round, 50 I don't mind, anything below that is not my idea of fun. I actually prefer the heat to the cold. Lived with it my whole life. Currently sitting on the deck with the wife drinking a cold beer before heading out for a well deserved round of golf. It's 95 with 75% humidity. Perfect.

So we are expanding our prayers at work meetings.  We have to say a prayer to indigenous people at start of meeting ("Welcome to Country").  The useless and inherently worthless nurse in charge of our service has decided we now also have say a little "prayer" to carers and patients. 

This individual is the same moron who said that other failing national accreditation our other main problem is indigenous cultural sensitivity.  No mention of $25 million budget deficit, massive vacancies, inability to recruit staff, inability to retain staff, massive service gaps and total collapse of morale.

Whole service is sinking like the Titanic, but the higher ups just keep adding "religious" mantras.

4 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Ah GG but you forget down here for a solid third of the year, give or take, it never really gets colder than 25C or 77F and in summer goes anywhere from 30 to 45C 86-113F of course we will have different ideas of what is actually cold.

Oh I don't forget. When I was in Sydney for the last week of December 2016 and the entire month of January 2017 it was hot as Satan's balls the whole time, with a couple of stretches over 40°C. I found it intolerable. We have some places here in the states that will get over 40° and a few that even routinely get over 45° but nothing like that anywhere near here in the northeast. It's rare that we get a day above 36°C here. We've had an unusually hot summer (for us) with daily high temps generally ranging between about 30° and 37° for many weeks now. But I know this heat won't last much longer and once we get to September temps will drop and we'll have many beautiful days around 20° - 25°. And I know all my friends in the western states like your friend BaN have had it much worse than we did here this year.

But I don't care where you live, if you can go outside without a jacket on, and you can't see your breath turn to steam and you can still feel your fingers after being outside for 20 minutes then it's really not cold. BUT, from my experience having no heat last year I've learned that inside temps and outside temps are very different animals. 8° or 10° outside and 8° or 10° inside your house are two entirely different things. Because when you have no heat in your house, especially when it's damp, you just can't warm up and it doesn't have to be below freezing or even below 4° for you not to be able to feel your fingers. I can remember sitting at my computer last winter with at least 5 warm layers of clothing on top, and 2 layers on the bottom, and a blanket over me not being able to feel my fingers even on nights when it was still above freezing. So I have much different ideas about cold than I used to.

It's just dawned to me there is absolutely not a single super hero who has supercharged queefs ("turbo-queefs") as a superpower.  Very disappointing that a major comic book publisher like Marvel or DC or even Image hasn't run with this concept in this modern enlightened age.  

9 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

It's just dawned to me there is absolutely not a single super hero who has supercharged queefs ("turbo-queefs") as a superpower.  Very disappointing that a major comic book publisher like Marvel or DC or even Image hasn't run with this concept in this modern enlightened age.  

My daughter has massive farts, does that count?