What's on your mind?

Apoc

Well I just accidentally wrote a Darkthrone riff… no seriously I had to listen to blaze in the northern sky the whole way through because I thought I had accidentally taught myself to play one of the songs from it, while what I’ve come up with is fun as hell to play I don’t think there’s anything I can actually do with it.

I'm thinking of purchasing a 18 volt recip saw also known as a sawzall. Has anyone got tips using these.  apparently variable speed helps, adjustable shoe is good, correct blade for the material is obvious really, I've heard gloves can be good to get a good grip, I will be using it to cut up GRP fibreglass grating for work. I'm using a hacksaw at moment and it takes ages. Course I will get DeWalt because it's the best and Def not a fancy version of black and decker😉

Get their compact one, it's great. Will accept the blade in all 4 directions, can have the teeth facing up, down, sideways whatever. I've never had occasion to cut fiberglass with it but I'd definitely make sure to get the blade recommended for fiberglass.

DEWALT 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless Compact Reciprocating Saw  with 20-Volt MAX Premium Li-Ion (1) 5.0Ah Battery DCS367L1W205

Not sure what those grates look like but if that's all you need it for you could also look into getting a grinder. That might be better.

FRP Grating – Ideal for Sites as Platform, Stair and Walkway

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Course I will get DeWalt because it's the best and Def not a fancy version of black and decker😉

Oh I love these debates. I'll take "who makes Dewalt tools" for $100!

I've never had a use for a recip saw that couldn't be done with a chainsaw, actually most jobs can be done with a chainsaw

55 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Not sure what those grates look like but if that's all you need it for you could also look into getting a grinder. That might be better.

For that sort of grating just about any saw would work, but hey, buying new toys just for the sake of it is always good too.

I realise I do an insane thing with my doggos where I ascribe them an alternative persona and backstory that fills in the blanks as to what my doggos do when we are not around. 

My old husky's (RIP) back story was that she was a super assassin created by Vladimir Putin who she regarded as her real human dad.  Her objective was to enslave the world under an iron poochie paw.

My new border collie's backstory is even more demented.  She is a member of 2nd SASR Sabre Squadron (the ones who were doing warcrimes in Afghanistan) created by the Republic of Kill and sent out to destroy all life in every possible timeline except this one.  When we are not around she travels through time and space wiping out all life.  Kinda like Thanos out of Avengers except a million time more murderous and million times cuter.

The doggos also have a religion based on getting humans to rub their tummies.  Their tummies are their most holy relics and thus getting humans to rub them is the ultimate in veneration of the Dog God.

In their backstory both doggos let me live through some of sort of benevolence and because I pat their tummies and help fill the holy tummy up with kibble.

In both cases the dogs do these jobs not out of malice or evil but simply cause they're good doggos, they like their jobs and do what is expected of them by their creators and the Dog God..

When its just me and the dog we have "conversations" whereby she tells me all her nefarious plans and also talks about how she will let me live for the timebeing.

Doggos of course doesn't care much about the insane ramblings of their owners as long as a ball is being thrown or a tummy is being rubbed!

Well it looks like I’ve missed a lot today, all it took to finally get the site working again once for me to delete my cache, reset in router, uninstall then reinstall my Internet browser then turn off my phone. Strangely it took doing things in that pacific order to solve the problem… Fuck technology

Yep, same issue. A few times it went further and timed out completely but most times the only part of the screen that was affected was the post box and the send button. Errant cache files can be the cause of just about every loading issue on a website however tracing yesterdays slow to non-existent loads was quite easy because it only happened on one section of the page.

23 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Get their compact one, it's great. Will accept the blade in all 4 directions, can have the teeth facing up, down, sideways whatever. I've never had occasion to cut fiberglass with it but I'd definitely make sure to get the blade recommended for fiberglass.

DEWALT 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless Compact Reciprocating Saw  with 20-Volt MAX Premium Li-Ion (1) 5.0Ah Battery DCS367L1W205

The grate looks nothing like this because it's green. 😉But that's what I'm cutting.  We have to get a certificate to use the grinder but not for a recirc saw. So that's why I'm getting it.  Your right though. Grinder would be the most obvious tool to use. All videos I've seen on YouTube are people using grinder to cut it up. 

Good tip re the blades.👍 Correct blade for the material

Re that DeWalt. Looks handy with variable speed, and multi ways the blade can be put in. Are you saying adjustable shoe 👟 is not so important. Some DIY people swear by them

23 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Oh I love these debates. I'll take "who makes Dewalt tools" for $100!

I've never had a use for a recip saw that couldn't be done with a chainsaw, actually most jobs can be done with a chainsaw

For that sort of grating just about any saw would work, but hey, buying new toys just for the sake of it is always good too.

A fine tooth chainsaw would be easier no doubt. We have to go on a course to use those. A course they won't send us on.

If I asked my manager about buying a recirc saw he would say no. So I just don't ask and buy. It's work related. As long as I don't injure myself all will be fine. 

Yes the silly who's best conversation. One DIY person put it well re the well known brands. Buy the tool you like the colour the best. Black and yellow reminds me of batman. Yellow for utility belt and black is the outfit. So I buy DeWalt. Also my dad uses DeWalt tools and always rated them highly 

24 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

A fine tooth chainsaw would be easier no doubt. We have to go on a course to use those. A course they won't send us on.

If I asked my manager about buying a recirc saw he would say no. So I just don't ask and buy. It's work related. As long as I don't injure myself all will be fine. 

Yes the silly who's best conversation. One DIY person put it well re the well known brands. Buy the tool you like the colour the best. Black and yellow reminds me of batman. Yellow for utility belt and black is the outfit. So I buy DeWalt. Also my dad uses DeWalt tools and always rated them highly 

We have courses for chainsaws too and they teach people SFA. All they cover is shit like how to start, how to refill and how to poorly sharpen the chain. They don't show people how to cut, when it's best to under cut or over cut. One of the guys we had helping on the farm a few years ago was straight off one of those courses, he had hundreds of dollars in safety gear but zero clue on how to use the saw properly. The guy even moved the saw back and forth across the timber as he cut the shit. The sad thing is this moron had a ticket that said he could use a chainsaw and therefore could get get a job on the road crew wielding a 36inch bar, yet someone like me who has been using them injury and damage free for 40 years wouldn't get a look in because I didn't go to a training course.

My eldest just arrived. I thought, 'how nice of her to come and see her parents on a Sunday morning'.

She lobs in the door walks past the office where I'm sitting, says hello then says "where's Mum?"

I tell her I don't know but she's not far away, shitty day and all so she's inside somewhere. As the kid walks off I call out, "to what do we owe the pleasure?"

"Bust-A-Move marathon." I get told.

Interest tweaked a little bit I decided to go and see what the real reason for her visit is and when I get to the lounge I see my wife has set up the Play Station 2 and "Bust-A-Move marathon" wasn't just a silly throw away comment. They plan to sit and play Bust-A-Move all day. I didn't even know we still had a working PS2

Shit, don't tell my wife.

Apparently we've got a non working Gameboy, an N64, a PS1 and 2 x PS2's. I was never a huge console gamer so I really don't know what each one is or does other than they supersede each other.

I thought I was bad keeping an original Donkey Kong "game and watch" (which does still work), but my wife has kept all this gaming shit in boxes in the spare room. Apparently we bought it back from Perth on one of trips about 10 years ago. I don't remember doing it but I do remember multiple trips back form Perth where I took a 'don't ask just pack' attitude.

I'm afraid to ask what else my wife has here from when she was a kid. She was a big gamer in the 90's before I met her, and she did have some consoles when we got married but because I was on the road 6 days a week I didn't really know what consoles. We also have a Franklin Mint Monopoly set here, which never gets used, where everything is pure gold. The weird thing is she has told me heaps and heaps of time how much she hates Monopoly because all her family cheats.