What's on your mind?

Apoc

2 hours ago, markm said:

I cannot really disagree with the caveat I'd actually grab the remaster if that's freaking good for the single disc...but 5 disks or whatever it is-with 6 versions of Rainbow in the Dark-I don't think I'd even listen to all the versions-just one remaster would be fine.....

But anyway, I think if one has to have deluxe sets....this one, also on Pitchfork would be more to your liking-

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/candlemass-epicus-doomicus-metallicus/

I'm definitely not a deluxe set kinda guy, I stopped collecting physical media 10 years ago. And I already have that album obviously, I've had it for 36 years. Not something I ever thought needed a remaster.

But yes Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is an iconic album that I would agree is easily worthy of that 8.4 and I'd probably even go a little higher than that, my score would be up into the 9's. Don't wanna use the word "perfect" but it's pretty damn close. I remember buying that album and the first listen and the massive impression it made on me at the time. Couldn't even venture a guess as to how many hundreds of times I've spun that one. One of my top 5 albums of the 80's for sure.

Which makes me wonder...what were my favorite albums from the 80's?

1980's

1. To Mega Therion

2. Reign in Blood

3. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

4 Don't Break the Oath

5. Ride the Lightning

6. Iron Fist

7. Violence & Force

8. Beneath the Remains

9. Taking Over

10. Bonded by Blood

11. Darkness Descends

12. Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing

13. First & Last & Always

14. Coroner - RIP

15. Power From Hell 

16. City Baby Attacked by Rats

17. Denim & Leather

18. 7 Churches

19. Under the Sign of the Black Mark

20. Scream Bloody Gore 

Back on bentolin for the first time in 20 years so that’s fun… Not. Yeah never mind me I was just being a smart arse because of the whole Oz v Brits thing.

Hmm favourite 80’s albums you say? I obviously don’t have the same level of nostalgia, you know since I wasn’t born yet, but if I had to do a top 20 it would probably look something like this:

1. Altars of Madness

2. to Mega Therion

3. Under the Sign of the Black Mark

4. Nightfall

5. Psalm 9

6. Leprosy

7. Melissa

8. Darkness Descends

9. Spectrum of Death

10. Deathcrush

11. Powerslave

12. Holy Diver

13. Court in the Act

14. Release From Agony

15. Pleasure to Kill

16. Defenders of the Faith

17. Black Metal

18. Awaken the Guardian

19. Transcendence

20. Mind Wars

The first 10 are pretty constant, the other 10 though would probably change very frequently

Unsurprisingly mine is a bit different to yours. I did mine a while ago and only did a top 10, chances are it could be different now, but it was current at some point in time.

1. Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction

2. Dark Angel – Darkness Descends

3. Slayer – Show No Mercy

4. Viking - Do or Die

5. Motorhead – Ace Of Spades

6. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast

7. Metallica - Ride the Lightning

8. Exodus - Bonded By Blood

9. Death - Scream Bloody Gore

10. Forbidden - Forbidden Evil

On 7/17/2022 at 3:20 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I cannot give Holy Diver a 9.0 even when I factor in nostalgia. I mean everyone loves little Ronnie and Rainbow in the Dark was cool and all for '83 but it's really not "one of the greatest metal songs ever written" as their write-up asserts.

Agree. Dio solo stuff has always lacked some x factor for me even if Holy Diver is a solid record. My most favouritist gig I ever went to was Heaven & Hell in 2007 and that little guy and Iommi's riffs just destroyed the building, but his solo band just didn't have the calibre that Ozzy, for example, managed despite Dio being a much better singer. Holy Diver is no Diary of a Madman as definitive works go. 

I'd never buy a remix box set, although I am a bit curious what remixing an 80s classic actually sounds like. There are quite a few albums that could benefit from throwing out the terrible 80s metal drum sound. 

No order, not definitive, not all metal:

Crimson Glory

Operation: Mindcrime 

AJFA 

Filth 

Retaliation 

Under The Sign Of The Black Mark 

Don't Break The Oath 

No More Color 

No Exit 

Nothingface 

Louder Than Love 

Refuge Denied 

Port Royal

INRI 

Into The Pandemonium 

Moving Pictures 

The Land Of Rape And Honey 

Discipline 

First, Last, And Always 

You Are What You Is

Nice list. Carnivore, Zappa, Swans, Sarcofago you're all over the place. As one track mind as my lists usually are I do derive pleasure from seeing others' more eclectic lists. You have two albums by bands with the word Crimson in their names, neither of which I've ever heard. (I mean I've heard KC just not that album)

One question though, a Google search of "No Exit" returns the 1999 Blondie album. Pages of it. Is there another "No Exit" album by an 80's band I'm unaware of?

8 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Unsurprisingly mine is a bit different to yours. I did mine a while ago and only did a top 10, chances are it could be different now, but it was current at some point in time.

1. Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction

2. Dark Angel – Darkness Descends

3. Slayer – Show No Mercy

4. Viking - Do or Die

5. Motorhead – Ace Of Spades

6. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast

7. Metallica - Ride the Lightning

8. Exodus - Bonded By Blood

9. Death - Scream Bloody Gore

10. Forbidden - Forbidden Evil

Not really all that different because I had 4 of your 10 and 2 more second choices (SNM & Ace) which might have made my list if I wasn't holding it to one album per band. Obviously I'm not gonna have Maiden on my list but I accept that most others would. No surprise the Aussie has an Aussie band as his #1 selection!

3 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Nice list. Carnivore, Zappa, Swans, Sarcofago you're all over the place. As one track mind as my lists usually are I do derive pleasure from seeing others' more eclectic lists. You have two albums by bands with the word Crimson in their names, neither of which I've ever heard. (I mean I've heard KC just not that album)

One question though, a Google search of "No Exit" returns the 1999 Blondie album. Pages of it. Is there another "No Exit" album by an 80's band I'm unaware of?

My brain is annoying. Ask me to come up with a focused list of anything and my thoughts scatter like the wind. But this one was fun.

This "No Exit" is a 1988 album from Fates Warning (tune is Anarchy Divine):

Haha I clicked, and I was good until the vox came in. Never bought any of their albums but I'm sure I must have checked FW out years ago and then just put them out of my mind. That song was so 80's it's almost too 80's. As far as high-pitched vox go I think the Sanctuary album is better. I should probably go check out that Crimson Glory too while I'm at it.

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Not really all that different because I had 4 of your 10 and 2 more second choices (SNM & Ace) which might have made my list if I wasn't holding it to one album per band. Obviously I'm not gonna have Maiden on my list but I accept that most others would. No surprise the Aussie has an Aussie band as his #1 selection!

That list was done about 8 years ago. I could imagine it being a bit different now if I sat down and listened to a bunch of 80's albums. Shit, it would probably be different again if I did it two weeks in a row.

When it comes to the 80's I could probably make an aussie top ten and ignore all the big overseas acts!

On 7/14/2022 at 11:37 AM, KillaKukumba said:

Last time we had a blockage in the pipes it took 8m of plumbers snake to find it and when I brought it out it was the weirdest, strangest smelling, gooiest, blob of something that I've ever seen. It was white and squishy, it had lumps in it made up of colours I'd never seen, there was hair stringing from it in clumps and the smell was the kind of smell that stings your nasal passage the second the two meet. It's truly remarkable what lives in pipes.

It's what I call a space sausage.  We have stupid drains with spring loaded plugs and wife and daughter's hair and wife's makeup get caught and form space sausages.

-----

Love those 1980s lists - I can't really do one as I wouldn't know where to start there's so many of them!

9 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I’d have a much harder time coming up with a list for 90s albums, not to say it was easy for the 80s I definitely feel like I’ve forgotten some albums I absolutely adore, but I definitely think I’d need to break 90s into albums from the various sub genres. 

Challenge accepted! Top 20 90's albums coming up shortly.

What a fucking decade. Couldn't keep it to just 20. I'm leaving out a ton of killer shit as it is. Only one album per band, no particular order after the top 5. 

1990's

1. Paradise Lost - Shades of God

2. Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence

3. Overkill - Horrorscope

4. Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon

5. The Chasm - Procession to the Infraworld

Sorcery - Bloodchilling Tales

Dawn - Slaughtersun Crown of the Triarchy

Hades - The Dawn of the Dying Sun

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky

Bolt Thrower - For Victory

Motörhead  - 1916

Desaster - Hellfire´s Dominion

Monster Magnet - Powertrip

Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black

Celtic Frost - Vanity/Nemesis

Type O Negative - World Coming Down

Social D - White Light, White Heat, White Trash

Supersuckers - The Evil Powers of Rock 'n' Roll

Alice in Chains - Facelift

Grave - You'll Never See

Asphyx- Last One On Earth

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes

Disincarnate - Dreams of the Carrion Kind

Death - Spiritual Healing

Iron Monkey - Our Problem

Portishead - Dummy

Circus of Power - Vices

Sacred Reich - Independent

Sisters of Mercy - Vision Thing

Soundgarden - Superunknown

The 90s... fuck. 

Morningrise 

Triarchy Of The Lost Lovers 

Individual Thought Patterns 

Pierced From Within 

A Blaze In The Northern Sky 

The Shadowthrone 

Bergtatt 

Tonight's Decision 

Dreaming Neon Black 

World Coming Down 

Turn Loose The Swans 

Nachthymnen 

The Gallery 

Embrace The Emptiness 

The Karelian Isthmus 

Nespithe 

Unquestionable Presence 

Eld 

Obscura

Written In Waters

Honorable mentions:

Slaughtersun 

Vittra 

Far Away From The Sun 

Crimson 

Once Upon The Cross 

Dusk... And Her Embrace 

Dark Metal 

Anticapital

Gothic 

The Great Annihilator

Bonus list of important formative stuff that I don't put on too much, and in a few cases can't stand anymore:

Dirt 

Superunknown 

Far Beyond Driven

Cause Of Death 

Arise 

Destroy Erase Improve 

Demanufacture 

Metallica 

Use Your Illusion I & II

Seasons In The Abyss 

Ten 

Empire 

Sehnsucht 

Angel Dust 

Slaughter Of The Soul 

When Forever Comes Crashing 

Revelry

Crippled Lucifer (comp) 

The Silent Enigma 

Tomb Of The Mutilated

...man, Grave should have been on here. Oh well. 

33 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence

Dawn - Slaughtersun Crown of the Triarchy

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky

Type O Negative - World Coming Down

Alice in Chains - Facelift

Grave - You'll Never See

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes

Death - Spiritual Healing

Iron Monkey - Our Problem

Portishead - Dummy

Sisters of Mercy - Vision Thing

Soundgarden - Superunknown

Very cool. All these were either on or close to being on mine. 

Yeah in the 90's metal really exploded into myriad directions. It went underground where it belongs and it flourished in the darkness even as the mainstream music media was trying to tell us all that metal was dead because Nirvana and grunge had killed it stone cold dead. Now and then you'll still hear some people claiming that bands like Metallica & Pantera were the only ones carrying the torch of metal through the dark days of the 90's. But we know that's a bunch of bullshit. In fact there was so much great 90's metal and other heavy music that I'm thinking there won't be a ton of overlap on everyone's lists like there was on the 80's lists.

80’s

Iron Maiden – Number of the Beast

King Diamond – Abigail

Mercyful Fate – Don’t Break the Oath

Bulldozer – The Day of Wrath

KAT – 666

Kreator – Pleasure to Kill

Celtic Frost – Morbid Tales

Obituary – Slowly We Rot

Sempiternal Deathreign – The Spooky Gloom

Bathory – Under the Sign of the Black Mark

Autopsy – Severed Survival

Sepultura – Beneath the Remains

Raven – Wiped Out

Acid - Maniac

Dio – Holy Diver

Satan – Court in the Act

Exciter – Heavy Metal Maniac

Helstar – Nosferatu

Manilla Road – Crystal logic

Sarcofago – INRI

Vulcano - Bloody Vengeance

Helloween – Keeper of the seven Keys Part I

90’s (This would honestly take forever if I tried to list everything...I could easily do a list of 100 on just death metal)

Dismember – Like an Everflowing Stream

Entombed – Left Hand Path

Dissection – Storm of the Light’s Bane

Dawn – Slaughtersun

Unanimated – Ancient God of Evil

Sacramentum – Far Away from the Sun

Uncanny - Splenium for Nyktophobia

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

Demigod – Slumber of Sullen Eyes

Immortal – Pure Holocaust

Bolt Thrower - The IVth Crusade

Cemetery – An Evil Shade of Grey

Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss

Adramelech – Psychostasia

Purtenance -   Member of Immortal Damnation

Authorize - The Source of Dominion

Mordicus – Dances From the left

Belial – Never Again

Gorgoroth – Under the Sign of Hell

Incantation – Onward to Golgatha

Demolition Hammer – Epidemic of Violence

Black Funeral - Vampyr - Throne of the Beast

Demoncy - Within the Sylvan Realms of Frost

Mystifier – Göetia

Gehenna - Seen Through the Veils of Darkness

Gorgon - The Lady Rides a Black Horse

Setherial - ...Nord

Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood

Necromantia - Crossing the Fiery Path

Somehow I've managed to leave off Obituary, Demo Hammer, Incantation, Unanimated and Purtenance from my lists. I thought of Demo Hammer yesterday when making my 80's list but then realized it was '92. Then it just slipped my mind earlier when making my 90's list because I always think it was from the late 80's. Thought of Incantation too but just never typed it down. Absolutely no idea how I could have possibly left Obituary off both lists. Inexcusable. Never heard of that Gorgon album, I'll have to check it out...yes I'll be needing this one.