What's on your mind?

Apoc

On 6/20/2022 at 11:39 PM, Dead1 said:

Also so sad.

Only every buried one pet - my Siberian husky who died last year on 29 December.  Still think about her every say even though I have a new pooch!

New pooch benefits from the memories though as I spend as much time as I can with her because I felt like I didn't enough with the old dog.

Well done re getting another dog after your husky died. I know too many people who  after there dog dies they don't get another one. They miss not having a dog or a pet but they don't get one. 

Lucky new dog. I bet they appreciate the extra attention.

We had two rescue cats. As they never had a cat to raise them and train them. One of these called Sirius copied our dog. He used to growl. It was quite surprising. Very sad when he got hit by a car. He limped home but died. An artist friend did a plate picture which I like alot.  

3 minutes ago, markm said:

My wife brought home a rescue cat after our terrier passed much against my wishes, but she really wanted the companionship so I don't really begrudge her. I'm defo a dog guy. I just don't get cats. I think they're ultimately unknowable. She got a domestic but it looks a whole lot like a breed she Googled called a Russian Blue. It's scared of me. I actually think she's pretty fascinating. And, I've bent over backwards trying to gain Luna's trust. Maybe she knows I'm a dog person. She desperately wants to go outside like a vampire that needs to feed. Luna is very vocal and wants attention. Much more than I thought a cat ever would want. IDK...still trying to get this cat thing figured out. I read that cats are the most finely evolved predator in terms of their senses...feel kind of sorry for Luna. She's a predator trapped in a house. This is going to take some time. 

15 minutes ago, markm said:

My wife brought home a rescue cat after our terrier passed much against my wishes, but she really wanted the companionship so I don't really begrudge her. I'm defo a dog guy. I just don't get cats. I think they're ultimately unknowable. She got a domestic but it looks a whole lot like a breed she Googled called a Russian Blue. It's scared of me. I actually think she's pretty fascinating. And, I've bent over backwards trying to gain Luna's trust. Maybe she knows I'm a dog person. She desperately wants to go outside like a vampire that needs to feed. Luna is very vocal and wants attention. Much more than I thought a cat ever would want. IDK...still trying to get this cat thing figured out. I read that cats are the most finely evolved predator in terms of their senses...feel kind of sorry for Luna. She's a predator trapped in a house. This is going to take some time

We are still watching our old cat circle the drain here, which sucks a lot, and I'm totally not ready for a new furry friend yet, so I get where you're coming from. Cats are totally knowable and they have tons of personality once you get used to them. They can be just as loyal as dogs, in their own way - if you've ever had a cat choose you as "human dad", you'll understand. They even have similar mannerisms when it comes to begging, feeding time, etc. Some cats might warm up to you immediately, others might take a while... sometimes it takes years! Dogs rule too, BTW, I thought of myself as a dog person growing up. I know we don't have the time and space to give a dog what they need, but that'll change someday. I hope you and the kitty find room for each other in your hearts.

I'm a little torn on the outdoor cat thing, I guess it depends on where you live. I've lost too many pets to nearby roads to feel good about it. But some of them won't be happy stuck inside. How old is the rescue kitty?

I understand waiting on a dog. To do it right, they really need the time I don't have right now to devote. But it's so rewarding when you can spend the time and train, etc. Luna is estimated at 18 months and only 7 pounds. She's underweight. Taking her to her first wellness check soon. My wife says she's eating about 1/3 cup a day of food. 

After the dog did 

4 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Well done re getting another dog after your husky died. I know too many people who  after there dog dies they don't get another one. They miss not having a dog or a pet but they don't get one. 

Lucky new dog. I bet they appreciate the extra attention.

Totally regretted the dog last night when it shat on the floor behind me whilst I was playing Playstation!  😤

Yeah...I'm not a fan of putting my cats outdoors, especially living right on a main road like I do. It's just asking for trouble. If I lived in a quieter neighborhood I'd probably reconsider it. Honestly Mark, depending on the age, use your best judgement for that situation. If you live in a quiet area, which doesn't get a lot traffic you'd probably be okay...just keep in mind, a cat will roam quite a ways, so it's not just your immediate road you want to think about. There's also other neighbors and how pissy they'll get, and other neighborhood pets and how aggressive they might be.

As for the cat, give her time...They typically bond with one person more than others, but they usually enjoy being around all their people to some degree. Like FA said, some are slow to warm up. One of mine was really high strung when she was younger, scared of both my wife and myself. Wasn't until I took a nap on the couch one day that she finally started relaxing around us...just came up and plopped down next to me and went to sleep. She's been my buddy ever since. It's usually about them feeling confident in their new space. Once they realize its their territory you'll start seeing more personality come out. Hell, even the crazy one I had that basically lived in my bathroom got to a point where she would slip out and come sit with us when we were watching TV.

I've got a pet tiger...sorry I mean a stuffed tiger that my wife bought me 20+ years ago. Apparently "I've always wanted a pet tiger" wasn't taken the same way as I meant it when I was asked what I wanted for Christmas one year. But that's the only cat I'm likely to ever have. When I was a kid I liked cats but not so much these days. I don't want to drown them all but I equally don't want one around the house.

Most doctors I known are a cure for insomnia and if it's not their personality it's their bloody waiting rooms.

41 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Most doctors I known are a cure for insomnia and if it's not their personality it's their bloody waiting rooms.

I work with doctors and in particular psychiatrists and they are certainly not a cure for insomnia.  Their sense of entitlement, laziness, corruption and general lack of ethics is a cause for near murderous rage.  

I don't have pet doctors on call to pick and choose from so my experience is mainly with GP's and pretty much all of them that I've known have no sense of humour, and unless the conversation is in their own field have no real knowledge of anything else.

Current piss off for the day is again the retail timber industry. My youngest asked me to build her a book shelf to store all her Lego on. She's been collecting it for years and has quite a display that is taking up space and she just wants to display it. If I build it out of something decent, Tassie oak or something like that it will cost something north of $200, even more if I make it completely out of solid timber and don't short cut some areas with cheaper MDF or ply. If I make it out of MDF, which many stores are saying is in short supply, it's $140 if I can get it in the right thickness. Or I can go to a chain store and pay $60 for something made in China out of the same shitty MDF.

There is a lot to be said for hand made, for quality that doesn't come from cheap imported shit. But at the same time less than half the price for something that I can have put together in 2 hours or something that takes me a week or so to build, even longer if I have to special order the timber. It's no wonder people furnish their homes in cheap, shitty, imported, crap.

7 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

My youngest and her cousin have decided to act like mature adults and they are having a tit for tat competition over who can collect the most Lego.

All the more reason for me to never be a parent. I just couldn’t justify spending that amount of money on some silly coloured plastic bricks.

Silly plastic bricks are one of the least annoying things we've spent money on in the kids lives. But both kids earn their own money and buy their own Lego so it's not my money (or my brother's in the case of the niece) they are spending. As long as my youngest isn't coming to me telling me she can't afford the mortgage because she spent the repayments on Lego to get one up on her cousin I don't have an issue with it.

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

I don't have pet doctors on call to pick and choose from so my experience is mainly with GP's and pretty much all of them that I've known have no sense of humour, and unless the conversation is in their own field have no real knowledge of anything else.

Current piss off for the day is again the retail timber industry. My youngest asked me to build her a book shelf to store all her Lego on. She's been collecting it for years and has quite a display that is taking up space and she just wants to display it. If I build it out of something decent, Tassie oak or something like that it will cost something north of $200, even more if I make it completely out of solid timber and don't short cut some areas with cheaper MDF or ply. If I make it out of MDF, which many stores are saying is in short supply, it's $140 if I can get it in the right thickness. Or I can go to a chain store and pay $60 for something made in China out of the same shitty MDF.

There is a lot to be said for hand made, for quality that doesn't come from cheap imported shit. But at the same time less than half the price for something that I can have put together in 2 hours or something that takes me a week or so to build, even longer if I have to special order the timber. It's no wonder people furnish their homes in cheap, shitty, imported, crap.

Two questions Kuke.

First, what's wrong with plywood? A decent grade of nice thick 3/4" (19mm) sanded plywood, maybe a nice birch (I suppose your mob likely uses other nativey grown species down there) can be used to make very nice things. We just built an entire set of kitchen cabinets out of it and they're solid as fuck, much nicer and sturdier than factory made cabinets. We used pocket screws and glue as joinery. Ripped down a bunch of tongue & groove pine we found a big load of relatively cheap to make all the door frames and we used the groove side to cover the side panels that would be showing and the island. We used it for the ceiling as well instead of sheetrock.

Second, do you think it would be a completely crazy idea to make the shelves themselves out of spare Legos? I suppose I'm half kidding as always, but I don't know, would it even be feasible? More importantly could she spare any?

I don't have a problem with ply, I made a big tool cabinet with ply and pine last year, but it's not cheap and it's sizing at the moment is restrictive. For instance I can get non-structural ply in 3/4" but the largest size it comes in right now is 1200 x 800 (about 48" x 32" if my sums are working) but it's $92 a sheet! 1/2" comes down to $65 a sheet, but with those sizes I'd need a lot more sheets because of how much waste I'd have.

I can get 2400 x 1200 (95" x 48") in 12 mm (1/2") Eco-ply which is locally sourced but it's rougher and often has bits out of it where the knots were. It's a far better size and should reduce waste when cut right but even that is $50 a sheet. 12mm will be thick enough for the shelves, because it's only going to hold Lego, and structurally I can make it stronger to hold it's own weight but the Eco-ply is special order only at the moment which means they wont order it until they have enough orders for a complete pallet which I think is 30 sheets.

I'm actually considering using tongue and grove wall panels. They are less than $10 for a 140mm (5 1/2" wide) by 2400mm (95") length and they'll be as structural as this project needs.

I should make the competition winner the first one to make their own shelf :) I don't know if either have enough spare pieces to make it happen though.

My niece actually has a cabinet for hers, she's been collecting longer than my daughter and before she moved out of home her father (my brother) gave her one corner of the 'games' shed and built her several shelves and cabinets to fit into the space.

Bloody irony is a bitch. I finally got all my solar panels up for the house and the shed yesterday, got them all connected to batteries and running what I want and today Victoria puts on such a cold and shitty day that the photovoltaic output is currently as low as 16% while reaching a peak of just 26% at lunch time. Winter in southern Australia is never great for solar panels but Victoria is really putting on the shit for me today.

5 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

a stuffed tiger

We have a stuffed tiger too. My wife won it at a sideshow at the Canberra Show years and years ago.

We will be getting our own little live tiger later in the year - my son's elderly black cat that we will inherit when he goes to live in London. She spent a month with us late last year and I am looking forward to having a cat again.

3 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

As long as my youngest isn't coming to me telling me she can't afford the mortgage because she spent the repayments on Lego to get one up on her cousin I don't have an issue with it.

Lego probably cheaper than lettuce at the moment...

Is it? Here we don't pay by the kilo for ice berg, cos is sold 2 to a bag, cauliflower is sold by the whole or the half, cabbage, too. Asian vegetables like bok choy, pak choy etc are sold by the bunch, as is celery, leeks and spring onions. We have unit pricing on pretty much everything on the shelf but not things like lettuce.

If we were charged by the kilo for ice berg lettuce at the moment it would easily be $20 a kilo because they are so small they fit in the palm of your hand.