What's on your mind?

Apoc

Currently delirious with fever, never have I felt so sick. That’s about all that’s on my mind right now that I should be sharing. If it’s not Covid it’s Gastro, and if it’s neither of those it’s the flu, it’s like a virus three-way going on.

If it’s not Covid it’s Gastro, and if it’s neither of those it’s the flu, it’s like a virus three-way going on.

Fever has finally broken Now I’m just left with the sore throat and general aches and pains

On 6/14/2022 at 6:43 AM, KillaKukumba said:

I farted for the first time in 2 days before. I realise that doesn't sound like a big achievement, but after the last 48 hours being too scared to fart, it's massive!

I've been there too when I had ibd. Bad for months before the problem area was fried by the dr.  🔫Now it's more of a case less is best for me as became bit unpopular. You only notice something when it's gone. Now you can let out as many rippers as you want. 😁

I'm thankful I don't get gastro that often. The last time we copped a dose was about 8 years ago, we were on a family holiday in Perth, 2 days before we were due to drive the 4000ks home we all copped it. It's terrible at any time but when you're faced with the prospect of still having it linger with you as you set out for a 4 day road trip you spend your day hoping like hell you'll get better before leaving. Even though no one can hear you scream in the outback it's not a place you want to be parked on the side of the road shitting through the eye of a needle.

My wife and kid told me their highlight of getting out of isolation wasn't that they didn't have to put up with me all day, but I'm not sure I believe them!

What's pissing me off today is that it's still nigh on impossible to make building plans because none of the hardware stores are willing to put stock levels on their timber range.

I've decided to build a bigger greenhouse but I need some framing timber, my preferred size is going to be 90mm x 35mm (about 3 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches) because I can cut each 2.7m length in three down the length and get 3 uprights out of every piece. But while I can get a price on the timber I want and I can work out a cost, until I actually go into the store I don't know if they have it. So that means I have to work out and draw plans for several different scenarios using both the timber I want and the timber they might actually have in stock just so I have a chance of leaving the store able to build what I want.

I would be happy with 42mm x 19mm (our equivalent of a 2x1 inch) but in this country that shit costs nearly the same as 90 x 35 but doesn't come in 2.7m lengths.

So did they have them in stock? And how much does a stud cost you down there now? (that's what we call those 8 foot 90mm x 35mm or "two by fours" although ours are just under 2.5 meters, and the 10 footers are just over 3 meters) They had been about 2 and a half bucks each for a long time but then they shot up to $11 or $12 ($17 AUD) for awhile last year. Then they drifted back down to just under $4 each, but that didn't last long they shot right back up to $8 or $9 ($12-13 AUD) where they remain today. Robbery if you ask me.

So you're going to rip each one of them into three 30x35mm x 2.7m's?

I haven't been in there yet.

Our  90x35x2.4 are $12.14 each. I'm sure they were cheaper about 6 months ago but my mind wont come up with an accurate price so I can't figure out how much they have changed.

They'll come down to about 27x35 (allowing for the saw cut). The idea is to re-purpose some old fibreglass/polycarbonate sheeting that is being replaced with the stronger, thicker stuff. It's really only an effort to save sending the polycarbonate to landfill, but I'm going to make the frame fit the fibreglass that is being replaced. So while the frame will be 27x35 I'm not sure of the frame dimensions yet.

Wish I was handy enough to build my own greenhouse, perhaps my garden would’ve had more success where at not so exposed to the elements. Mind you I’ve still got so many chilies I’m contemplating buying a dehydrator so I can start selling dried chilies, chilli flakes, chilli powder and the like… 

I'd build you one but postage to get it there might be a killer.

I'd love to grow chillies but as I'm the only one that eats them I'd probably end up with thousands and nothing else. I do plan on increasing the varieties of things I'm growing this year. If I'd have known that we weren't going to get the frosts we usually get I'd probably also have pushed winter crops.

I’ve run into a similar problem here, hence the need for a dehydrator to make use of the chilies I’m not consuming. I’ve also got more parsley than I know what to do with, and spring onions. Come the spring I’m going to get more ambitious with my garden, priority one will be getting some lemongrass in probably also garlic and onions I spent a fortune on those right now… Kind of figure the more things I can grow on my own the better. 

I stopped growing things like parsley and basil etc cause the stuff just takes over. I could probably use it faster than I was but in the middle of winter it's friggen annoying having to go outside to get fresh stuff when there is a jar in the pantry. I also stopped growing spring onions for the same reason. The advantage of spring onions though is that they grow from the root part of the bunch you buy from the supermarket and they'll grow at least three times from every root before they get too woody so it's a real low maintenance vegie to grow.

See the problem is I’m unbelievably stubborn, so unless I absolutely have to I won’t use anything that comes from a jar, I think it comes from being told countless times by the Royal Society for the blinds occupational therapists that blind people don’t cook anything from scratch, all you will ever be able to do is make things that come from jars and premixed bags of vegetables are what you should use for your stirfries etc don’t bother trying to cut things yourself. In fact I got so annoyed at the frequency with which I was told these things that before I caught Covid I was in the process of researching what equipment I would need to start A vlog on the subject, I like to think the tricks I’ve taught myself might be helpful for other vision impaired people plus I just love food so I seems like the perfect match to me.

I agree in part but I'm also lazy and tend to not plan too far ahead. Therefore at 6:30pm in the middle of winter going out in the cold and often wet grass to retrieve a teaspoon's worth of basil, parsley or even mint is just not going to happen. For the most part I could grow those sorts of things in pots on the patio, it would definitely contain them, but previously I just found I wasn't using the stuff quick enough and it was going to seed.

I do however grow a lot of vegies in the garden and I have been changing up the varieties the last few years just to try different things and see what grows best. I've currently got 4 garden beds that are each 3mx2m inside a huge cage to keep the possums out. I also occasionally use some herbs as companion plants or pest deterrents.

Possums, rats, roos, wombats, you name it the pricks want to eat my garden. Rats are hard to keep out but for the rest an 8 foot high cage around all the gardens works, it's also covered partly in shade mesh to protect the vegies from the sun.

I share my extra vegies with people but for some reason always forget the herbs, which is also a good reason why they take over and go to seed. I'm going to grow a few things in grow bags this year to keep them separated and to allow me to move them around so I might try herbs again I haven't thought that far ahead.

Where the planter boxes for my garden are placed they actually get a lot of shade protection from the house and our back fence at different times of the day, that being said it probably helped we didn’t have a particularly hot summer this year so I attribute most of my plant death to overcrowding more than the weather.