What's on your mind?

Apoc

17 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Is there anyone who is fortunately dead? :)

I test everything that I don't have a intimate knowledge of. Even after 20 years of living in this house, a house I helped build, I still take nothing for granted with mains power. I'll install a new power point, lights, fans anything I can get away with that doesn't need to be certified, but I'll never start a job without first testing things.  Most of the work I've been doing lately though is 12 volts.

I'm running my own solar panels which power lights, phone chargers, game chargers, batteries, pretty much anything up to 12v, so the risk of zapping myself with anything dangerous isn't that high. However I am running nearly 1500 watts of panels here now so I do have a combined mass of about 80-100 Amp running through the system and that kind of amperage is enough to do serious damage, so I do still pay attention to what I'm doing.

But I still make mistakes, hence blowing up the meter because I had the wrong leads on it. I've got several sets of leads good for 30A but for some reason I grabbed the ones that would be flat out being good for 10A and didn't even think twice. Maybe it was a subconscious thought and my brain wanted me to buy a new meter because it's been fun looking at new meters and seeing how well some of the cheaper Fleabay ones stand up against the so called professional Fluke meters and the like.

Ok snap my dad installs fans, power points, lights too. Anything too complicated and the sparky gets called. 12 volts ive been told it to low to worry about by people I work with

Last thing you want is to be hit by 100 Marshall amps 😉. Good plan with all that testing especially on the solar panels electrics.  

What have you found with multimeters. Are the more expensive ones better because they do more functions. 

Although many of us are often a bit free and easy with 12 volts it should be stated clearly that 12 volts SHOULD be treated with the same respect mains voltage is until one knows the source because it's rarely ever the volts that kill a person, it's the amps.

Ever stuck your tongue on a 9 volt battery from a kids toy? You feel a slight tingle in your tongue depending on how charged the battery is. It wont kill you, it wont even hurt you, but it's not because it's 9 volts it's because there is so little current. But if you hook up twenty 9 volt batteries in parallel and did the same trick you would likely come off second best because while the voltage remains the same the current can be around 20 amps (theoretically).  While death is possible with anything over about 1 amp it's more than likely with current over about 4amps at any voltage.

On another stage it doesn't matter how many amps a stack of Marshell's is pulling, if you're under it when it falls you're not going to fair well.

Meters do a wide range of things these days and while Fluke and others are generally considered 'professional' standard they are worth a god damn fortune too. But for most people they don't want to spend $500 on a meter that is just going to test things like voltage, mostly DC, continuity and maybe a bit of resistance so they spend $30 and be done with it. But there is a whole range of new meters on the market that cost less than $50 and in bench tests prove to be just as accurate as the professional ones. There is specific needs some people have like clamp meters, although they are really only good for AC in most cases, some will require a larger range, some might just require a single function that other brands don't have. But in general these days I think anyone who is not a top flight pro sparky working in the AC domain is mad if they don't at least look at the cheaper models coming out of China.

Just thinking how insane the Ukrainians are to keep resisting the Russians.  Death,destruction, horror.

What is the difference living under one corrupt fucked regime over another fucked corrupt regime?

If Chinese came rumbling to Australia, I would say let them take the place.  Who knows they might even be an improvement over the human excrement that is running this country to the ground (and that imlncludes everyone from lowest public servant to Prime Ministers).

I was already in a war where my house was destroyed, where a sniper near blew my head off  and we had to leave just so a few corrupt fucks like my rich corrupt as hell uncle could get richer.

All Ukrainians are suffering and dying for is for Uncle Sam and the Russian elites to keep playing their 80 year old game of geopolitical chess.

And all those sanctions on Russia are fldoing are inpoverishing common folks around the world through jacked up prices, threatening starvation for many and enriching a handful of global elites.

Oh and the Ukrainian military strategy of basing defenses in cities is Soviet level callous.

Even the Iraqis didn't do this in 1991 or 2003 even though it eould have been the militarily rational thing to do.

24 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Humans are uniquely illogical creatures my dude, yes there are faults on both sides of that conflict but I don’t blame the Ukrainian people for wanting to defend their homes.

They're not defending their hones cause the Russians are levelling eveything because the Ukrainians insist on a strategy of urban warfare to reduce Russian advantages in artillery, armour and airpower and amplify chronic Russian shortages of infantry.

You don't have to do this - both sides in WW2 often left cities as open to spare the horrors of modern war for its populace.

Save my rich politically connected  uncle who plundered millions, none of my extended benefited from Croatian war or Croatian "freedom."  We came back to Australia impoverished while most of my relatives were left far worse off as well.

It was better under Jugoslavia, living in peace with the Serbs.

But "patriots" like my uncle insisted on stirring up ancient hatreds.  Ukraine-Russia is same - they were both better USSR. Instead they let corrupt nationalists turn both countries into corrupt kleptocracies where hate was used to deflect from endemic corruption and mismanagement.

As I mentioned I wouldn't defend Australia either anymore.  I volunteered for military service as a young man (rejected due to depth perception).

I now realise this country isn't worth defending anymore.  Better to live under the yoke of others than die a martyr for some rich kleptocrats and their political cronies.

There are no winners in war that’s definitely true, but when you say foreign control of your country can’t be any worse than the system you live in already you make many assumptions. As I’m sure you are aware greed and corruption are far from being isolated to only capitalist nations. In the interest of avoiding any further clogging of the thread I’m dropping this, we can pick it up in private if you like. 

On 6/5/2022 at 4:39 AM, Dead1 said:

They're not defending their hones cause the Russians are levelling eveything because the Ukrainians insist on a strategy of urban warfare to reduce Russian advantages in artillery, armour and airpower and amplify chronic Russian shortages of infantry.

You don't have to do this - both sides in WW2 often left cities as open to spare the horrors of modern war for its populace.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's little evidence so far that Russia didn't intend to reduce Ukraine to rubble anyway. It's the same kind of terror-tactics they've employed in Georgia, Chechnya etc. Their stated goal has been to eradicate Ukraine as a country and culture. I think that if the Ukrainian army decided to take the battle to the fields, Russia would shell the cities anyway because it would cause the most damage.

13 hours ago, Sheol said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's little evidence so far that Russia didn't intend to reduce Ukraine to rubble anyway. It's the same kind of terror-tactics they've employed in Georgia, Chechnya etc. Their stated goal has been to eradicate Ukraine as a country and culture. I think that if the Ukrainian army decided to take the battle to the fields, Russia would shell the cities anyway because it would cause the most damage.

By all accounts goal was a quick 3-4 day take over ala Crimea and they'd be welcomed with flowers and cheers.

Interviews with Russian POWs certainly indicate the intention was q quick and relatively bloodless takeover 

If they planned to reduce Ukraine to rubble they wouldn't have gone in the way the way they did which was beyond militarily stupid.  Qnd they would have need far more men -200,000 is no where blnear enough for a large country of 41 million.  Indeed Soviets sent 500,000 into Czechoslovakia in 1968 despite that country being much smaller and far less populous.  The Germans used 544,000 men in 1941 for Battle of Kiev alone (though most of the fighting occurred outside of the city) and even then experts like historian David Glantz think the Germans got lucky.

After realising the Ukrainian military wasn't go to roll over, the Russians reverted to standard practice of mass artillery.

Also reducing things to rubble isn't just a Russian play - US levelled both Fallujah and Raqqa when fighting dug in insurgents. Also Hue in Vietnam during the Tet offensive.

Urban and trench warfare (Donbas)  is extremely gruelling and difficult hence the mass use of aircraft and artillery to "reduce" enemy positions . 

----

Also Ukraine as a culture is a confused concept.  It is in fact 2 cultures- one Russian speaking and Orthodox and the other Catholic who often speak Ukrainian.

The Orthodox Russian speaking Ukrainians are culturally close enough to Russia to be Russian.  They are in fact infinitely more Russian than many of the Asian minorities that form the Russian federation. 

Literally most Russians aren't actually Russian but colonial holdovers (Chechens being the most famous).  Most don't consider themselves Russian either but Russia maintains loyalty through both sticks abd carrots.  Russia is aware of this and the dissolution of Russia is apparently a common discussion point among Russian academics.

The western and often Catholic Ukrainians are culturally separate to a greater degree (ironically many live in what was Poland up to 1945).

There are Ukrainians living in south Russia who consider themselves Russian (and Ukrainian extremists regard the Russian areas they live in as Ukrainian).

Eastern Ukraine and southern Russia are both essentially colonial projects.  Both Russians and Ukrainain displaced the traditional mainly Muslim inhabitants ((eg Tartars) from late 18th century.  Tartars were often shipped to other parts of Imeprial Russia or USSR.

So in some ways the Ukrainian-Russian conflict resembles the American War of Independence - two culturally and linguistically linked peoples waging a war over concepts of determination.

In some ways I speak from experience.  I am Croatian by birth.  Only main cultural differences between us, Serbs, and Bosnian Muslims is religion.  There is more differences between inland Croats and coastal Croats than between Zagreb Croats and Belgrade Serbs.

The Serbs in Croatia had lived there for centuries yet they considered themselves Serb and thus attempted to stay with Serbia in early 1990s in the areas where they were a majority.   The Russians assumed the Orthodox Russian speaking Ukrainians still considered themselves Russian.

Obviously not.

11 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Just like in any other conflict eventually both sides will have to come together sit down and talk. 

Whilst I agree diplomacy is the only resort I don't think it will happen anytime soon.  Both sides don't have any reason to negotiate yet and both are angling for a more dominant military and thus negotiating position.

Then there's the issue of US turning this war into a proxy war.  US has not shown any interest in diplomacy in this issue either now or in period 2014-21 (it was not party to either Minsk peace initiatives).   They will continue to eagerly and vocally support for Ukrainians to continue to  keep bleeding Russians indefinitely.

I have maintained all along the US has wanted this war.  It has succeeded beyond it's wildest dreams.  Indeed both Blinken and Austin stated the goal was to permanently weaken Russia.  Everything the US did was two faced - support Ukraine's NATO process (in fact the whole thing arises from statements by George W Bush) yet at the same time overtly state that US troops wouldn't physically defend Ukraine.  Provide only enough weapons between 2014 and now to promote stalemate, not a Ukrainian decisive victory.

Basically:  "Hey Ukie old pal, how about you go and prod that big ol' bear in the eye whilst me and my buddies watch.  If you do, you can then maybe join my super awesome army club.  Don't worry if the bear attacks you, you can have this little stick to defend yourself with."

I had the same beef with the pop music my kids listened to when they were growing up. There is an old joke about country music where all songs are about meeting a girl, falling in love, falling out of love, loosing the girl, loosing your truck and then loosing your dog. Pop music has taken that idea and instead of loosing your truck and your dog you have an addiction and a mental issue.

So I wrote to the school about the issues with the points system.

The principal stated in no uncertain words that problematic children are rewarded for "absence of inappropriate behaviour."  That's right - kids get rewarded for doing nothing.

She also said these kids all generally had some of disorder or are traumatised and that their mental cortexes are lagging two years behind other kids.  Well in that case hold them back - they used to do that in Europe.  If someone can't cope with Grade 4 and are Grade 2 level, keep them in Grade 2!

Weak as piss!

I’ve been saying for years the only way to successfully boost the standard of education in Australia is to have national education standards, preferably we should copy the models for education used in countries like Denmark, Finland, Finland in particular actually.

I’ve been saying for years the only way to successfully boost the standard of education in Australia is to have national education standards, preferably we should copy the models for education used in countries like Denmark, Finland, Finland in particular actually.

Also currently on my mind are the results of the blood tests I had to do yesterday, I won’t know until Friday what the results actually are but considering my GP ask for the tests because they suspect a hormone in balance could be the cause of my insomnia I’d really like to know sooner.

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Also currently on my mind are the results of the blood tests I had to do yesterday, I won’t know until Friday what the results actually are but considering my GP ask for the tests because they suspect a hormone in balance could be the cause of my insomnia I’d really like to know sooner.

Fingers crossed they have an answer for you and one that is treatable!

I hope so too, also in the process of getting some referrals I need since the working theory on another chronic issue I’ve been having in the last couple of years is the titaniu

I really hope so, there’s a few other health related issues I’m trying to address at the moment as well.