What's on your mind?

Apoc

My eldest came down crook yesterday, she took a RAT and it was positive but because she couldn't pin point where she'd got it from Vic rules recommender she should get a PCR.  Positive result came back this morning so being a really good Dad I invited her to stay here for the week. She's in isolation until Sunday but really doesn't have much more than a head ache and a sore throat.

My daughter just had a head ache and a sore throat, but it came on suddenly Monday morning before she was suppose to go to uni. She hadn't been anywhere all weekend and while she could easily have caught it from uni Vic rules state that if you can't pin point a location 2 days before the test get the PCR to confirm otherwise the RAT is good enough.

The head ache was gone within a few hours and the sore throat comes and goes. She did spend most of yesterday laying on the spare bed but today she's out in the lounge kicking my arse on the Switch game and laughing so she's doing good.

I don’t have the headache but I do have the sore throat, my uni wouldn’t let anyone on campus for this semester unwell they had their booster and since I wasn’t eligible to have it yet I had to start the semester online with no capacity to transfer into in person classes after having the third shot.

In my case it started mild, kicked in pretty good day 2-3, got then new antivirals which probably helped because, I'm in day 4 which includes the first day when the symptoms were very mild and I feel good. Not great-still some congestion and not at full energy-but pretty damn good. I've had asthma symptoms and trouble breathing for a couple of days and that's clearing up nicely. I consider my case pretty mild. 

2 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Mild cases I think is the hope for everyone. My daughter seems to have a mild case too, going by the data the government has given us (which isn't much) she's on day 4 now, the headaches stopped yesterday, a bit of a cough has developed and her nose is blocked.

Sounds about like mine. I cut the grass in my front yard tonight with a push mower so I'm nearly back. I really want a cold beer, but guess I'll give it couple of more days 😂

Good Dad taking care of your daughter. Mine just graduated from Uni as you say with a nursing degree. She'll shack up here until August when she starts her first nursing gig at John Hopkins assuming she passes her boards and moves in with some girlfriends in Baltimore.  

Taking care of a kid who was isolating didn't sound like the worse job when it popped up. But its funny how keeping her distance falls along the way side as soon as she starts feeling better :) I haven't looked at the government data about when the bug starts becoming less infectious but she's here until Sunday so I imagine keeping her distance might become less of an issue in the next few days.

I can't really complain I'm not forcing her to stay in the spare room, in fact I'm encouraging her to get outside in the fresh air and sit on the veranda for some of the day. She's just a little bored and looking for something to do, apparently she's spoken to some of her fellow students and they reckon classes have been cancelled due to lack of attendance so she hasn't even got studying to keep her occupied.

50 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Taking care of a kid who was isolating didn't sound like the worse job when it popped up. But its funny how keeping her distance falls along the way side as soon as she starts feeling better :) I haven't looked at the government data about when the bug starts becoming less infectious but she's here until Sunday so I imagine keeping her distance might become less of an issue in the next few days.

I can't really complain I'm not forcing her to stay in the spare room, in fact I'm encouraging her to get outside in the fresh air and sit on the veranda for some of the day. She's just a little bored and looking for something to do, apparently she's spoken to some of her fellow students and they reckon classes have been cancelled due to lack of attendance so she hasn't even got studying to keep her occupied.

in the U.S., CDC guidelines are 10 days-5 days quarantine preferably separate quarters, but with a tight mask and distance if you must be in the same room. After 5 days, you can return to work and go out in the community but you should wear a mask around people for another 5 days. The last two days should be symptom free and then you are released from Covid parole and can unmask.    

I know here we only have seven days isolation and that's firm. When my daughter registered with the state government site it told her that because she couldn't pin point where she got it from she needed to assume she caught it no more than two days before the positive test (first known symptoms) and that her isolation ended on day seven after the test. She doesn't need a negative test result to get out and there is no mention of her having to wear a mask when she gets out.

Household contracts are allowed to leave home if they wear a mask in other indoor areas and do five negative RATs in the same seven days. But it's self testing and there is no requirement to have those tests analysed therefore the onus is on the household contact to be honest. After seven days everyone is a free for all.

I presume that means our government is hedging it's bets on nine possibly days where a person could be infectious. That seem to suggest that on the last day the infectious person could give it to a household contact and that person who is free to go out could potentially spread it elsewhere before they know they have symptoms. But I guess the data the government has tells them the risk of that isn't high enough to keep household contacts who have tested negative during the entire week testing for longer than the isolation period. So maybe the nine total days has a buffer time where the patient isn't actually infectious. I have no idea.

See now I have a friend who knew exactly whom he caught it from. It was around Christmastime and his elderly house mates had some elderly relatives visiting for about a week so when he got sick they were all bugging him to take a test and find out if his illness was Covid. He tested negative at 3 days out, but then he read that 3 days can be too soon to get a positive result, testing 5 to 7 days after exposure is optimal. So he tested again at 5 days and that time it was positive. He quarantined in his room by himself as much as possible and in the end no one else in the house came down with it.

Point is there is so much conflicting information floating around out there that it's hard to know what to believe even if you have the best of intentions to do the right thing and follow all the rules. I find it hard to believe that in the absence of any hard information it should be assumed that the incubation period was just 2 days, that doesn't jibe at all with what I've read. Indeed if you Google this (which I've just done) it says 2 to 14 days.

10k cases of the flu currently in Australia and it's worse than ever because we aren't getting the flu vax according to the news reports. Mind you that's less cases country wide than Vic covid cases so while I guess we should be worried about the flu it seems we should more worried about covid.

I think it's easy to call it a political decision when we see governments with so many different rules but IMHO it's not as political as people want to make it out to be in this country. Parts of it are but the top line medical people making the decisions in this country are not politically appointed and if they were making decisions about isolation, infectious periods and safety based on political persuasion it would come out with more evidence than it does.

Even in Victoria where "Dictator" Dan got his 9 month of lock downs there was only unsubstantiated media talk about how the CMO/CHO were making politically based decisions. At one point the media had the CHO quitting because he was apparently being ignored and the government were making up their own mind about isolation and infection control. That was about 10 months ago and the guy is still in his job with no evidence of him quitting ever proven by the media. If anything in this country it's media driven not political.

On 5/16/2022 at 9:42 AM, JonoBlade said:

Oh. Mixing would be waaay worse than what I went through. For playing rhythm I just went on auto-pilot and could get the job done because it was well practiced. Would have been impossible if it was lead, with a view to ripping out something improvised and "in the moment" which I can't do at the best of times. 

I couldn't have finished it if it wasn't already 90% there. Still a shitty experience. Came out sounding alright though. I'm just really glad I didn't have to do any vocals with my ear plugged up, that would have been intolerable.

I'm in the middle of a vocal recording now, and really hoping I can avoid a brush with The Plague v3.02 or whatever revision my area is currently on. At least wait till I'm done, dammit. Mild cases, quick recoveries, and cold beers all around.

Bloody hell can't Windows tell I'm trying to listen to music here! I finally got around to upgrading(?) to WinBlows 11 and after over an hour of waiting for it to install now comes the long task of modifying and changing everything to get rid of the shitty telemetry and other useless bloatware crap Microsoft thinks I need. Problem is I'm barely getting through a song between changes and nearly every change wants me to restart the damn computer. I think Microsoft hates thrash metal!

20 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

10k cases of the flu currently in Australia and it's worse than ever because we aren't getting the flu vax according to the news reports.

Whilst I agree 100% with you post, I got the flu vax last week.

Whole COVID management in the end became a joke eg you were only a COVID close contact if you spent 4 hours or more with someone with COVID and then only in a household type scenario.

Economic and other political imperatives win every time, especially in Australia where we are keen to keep fucking the planet up with coal because a bunch of rich coal mine owners would lose out.

Or housing where median house price is over $1 million, poverty and homelessness are growing but heavens forbid the government builds some more social housing.  But then something like over 50% of elected politicians own investment properties - skyrocketing house prices and demand works for them very well.

I haven't bothered with the flu vax simply because I don't go anywhere. I know that's not really a good excuse because I do see people but it's just never been a priority. However I'd never suggest my decision should influence others, if I spent more time in public places I'd no doubt get it.

It obviously wont be everyone's case but there must be some truth to the 4 hour thing. My brother was at my place last weekend for less than 2 hours at the same time my daughter was no doubt positive and despite sitting around the same table he's had no signs of infection and he's required to do a RAT every day at work. He also deals with up to 200 RAT results every day as a part of his job making sure the site remains as covid free as possible and the number of people who have spent short times with cases but not contracted it is very high.

My wife is currently required to do 5 RATs in 7 days so she can keep going to work and despite coming home each day to 'covid kid' in the house she's still testing negative and I still haven't caught it and I've been in the same room playing games on the big TV for three days.

When we got COVID, so did one of my wife's friends who was in the car with my wife and daughter (who got it first but at that time wasn't showing symptoms) and exposed for about 20 minutes!

According to AMA you could catch COVID within minutes of being exposed to someone.

Of course exposure is relative.  I was a an analysis of a number of people in a restaurant who caught COVID.  Some people on "patient zero'" table didn't get it, yet others did despite being several tables away.  Depends on how air is flowing, immunity, and type of exposure etc.

RATs are actually highly unrealisable when it comes to Omicron.  Apparently they are accurate 80% of the time.  Only 1 out of 20+ brands sold in Australia is specifically tailored to Omicron. 

Again anecdotally, when wife and I got COVID, initial RATs were all negative.  We knew we had it as daughter had a positive one.  On third day we both got positive results.

https://theconversation.com/how-accurate-is-your-rat-3-scenarios-show-its-about-more-than-looking-for-lines-175515

https://www.smh.com.au/national/experts-urge-caution-on-rat-accuracy-as-watchdog-probes-test-kit-complaints-20220203-p59tgj.html

7 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Bloody hell can't Windows tell I'm trying to listen to music here! I finally got around to upgrading(?) to WinBlows 11 and after over an hour of waiting for it to install now comes the long task of modifying and changing everything to get rid of the shitty telemetry and other useless bloatware crap Microsoft thinks I need. Problem is I'm barely getting through a song between changes and nearly every change wants me to restart the damn computer. I think Microsoft hates thrash metal!

I hate Windows with a passion and refuse to have anything to do with my wife's computer that uses it.

I don't hate it but I really can't be fucked running linux, unix or any other flavour of free OS. Now I've gotten rid of all the privacy shit, the telemetry shit, the background weight and re-changed all the out of the box settings that I don't like it will pretty much run problem free until the next update. 

One for you Aussies - what the hell is it with ABC radio having to fill every news article and every report with comments from random people?

I really don't care what some random person from western Sydney or Perth or some outback town thinks.  It's meaningless filler.  

Oh and most of the time the people they talk to can't say anything intelligent.  Literally they say things like "I don't like current government cause of COVID."  Not exactly insightful.

I also noticed that ABC reporters are very much anti-Green.  I was listening to Sabra Lane who just let the Liberal and Labor guys rant on about how much the other sucks.  She then ripped into Greens leader Adam Bandt who was discussing their policies - and they weren't wacko policies but rather sensible ones in line with what's happening in Europe.  Her comments were hysterical eg suggesting stopping tax loopholes would result in all companies leave Australia.  All said in a high pitched aggressive voice.

I actually voted Greens this time.

I think in the interest of not taking the sides the ABC are anti every politician whilst simultaneously kissing their arses to try and get interviews with them. The ABC TV news is like a kid whose parents have split up, today they talk to one politician about how great he's doing and how the other parents are all idiots, then tomorrow they get a different parent on and do the same bloody thing. Not one hard question has been asked by the media in this election.