What's on your mind?

Apoc

1 minute ago, KillaKukumba said:

Having to sleep on the plane would be my issue. Multiple times I've come off a 12 hour night shift of driving, driven 4 hours to the airport, got on a plane for the 5 hour flight to Perth and not slept a wink. I love planes, although I hate the lack of leg room, but even watching a crappy movie doesn't put me to sleep. Yet put the TV on at home and I can be asleep in about 3 minutes.

I managed it once on a 4am flight out of Istanbul one year, stepkids were knackered for once so that was a big help.  Hoping the business class ticket that I manage to wangle today gives me more leg room (I am over 6 feet in height) as the flight to New York a few years back was painful.

Flying west is easy, just stay awake til the appropriate local bedtime hour and then get a good night's sleep. Going back east is tougher, it usually takes me several days to catch up until I really feel 'normal' again. But have a great trip Macca and welcome to these United States. I'm sure you've been told it's gonna be hot as balls in June down there and quite sticky so pack your case accordingly.

2 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

I managed it once on a 4am flight out of Istanbul one year, stepkids were knackered for once so that was a big help.  Hoping the business class ticket that I manage to wangle today gives me more leg room (I am over 6 feet in height) as the flight to New York a few years back was painful.

Yeah I'm 6 foot 3 and whether airlines think there is enough room or not I disagree.

For me flying to Perth after 16 hours on the road means that I end up being awake 21 hours, then get to Perth and automatically loose 3 hours (we mostly fly in summer). By the time we get to the Outlaws place it's another hour and we usually arrive about 4pm so it's way to early to go to bed without fucking things up even worse.

1 minute ago, KillaKukumba said:

Yeah I'm 6 foot 3 and whether airlines think there is enough room or not I disagree.

For me flying to Perth after 16 hours on the road means that I end up being awake 21 hours, then get to Perth and automatically loose 3 hours (we mostly fly in summer). By the time we get to the Outlaws place it's another hour and we usually arrive about 4pm so it's way too early to go to bed without fucking things up even worse.

The thumbnail preview of your post on the 'all activity' page ended: "it's way too early to go to bed without fucking" and I thought yup, he's dead right. If I'd been up for 24+ hours I reckon a good fuck would put me right to sleep. Then I came here to the actual post and saw the last 4 words. Haha I liked it better the other way.

Yes, I am a juvenile.

And yes, even being just 5'11" I can attest that there's just no leg room at all on these planes, it's torture. I couldn't even imagine what a long flight must be like for you taller long-legged dudes.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

The only thing that saved me last year was that most of the larger sized lumber like the 20 foot 2x10 rafters (35mmx240mm) we needed for the new roof hadn't really gone up too much, they were still around the same price as they'd always been. It's those damn 8 foot studs, they went from around $2.50 up to about $12 each then came back down to about $4 last fall and now they're back up to $8 or $9 again. And that's when you can even find the decent ones that aren't all twisted. Sometimes we'll go to get some and then just walk back out because all they have is shit grade corkscrew lumber so we'll decide to pass on that and take our chances next time. If you've ever tried to put sheetrock on a wall that's been framed out with twisted studs you'll understand.

Pretty fucked up. Never thought something like this would actually happen. If my wife was still alive she'd be losing her mind today over this news. I have to assume you're talking about the Alito leak saying there could be a vote to overturn Roe v Wade (1973) which would free up the more ignorant states to make all kinds of anti-abortion laws again. Crazy. Why can't people learn to just mind their own fucking business? You're against abortion? Then don't get one!

If you were referring to something else with "what just happened stateside" then please disregard this message.

Exactly what I’m referring to stateside, I just disgusting, the UK though no better sing us how they’ve just stricken the right to protest, want to complain about something the governments doing? Well you better get the government permission first and don’t you dare be noisy about it or you’ll find yourself in prison for 51 weeks thank you very much. Then down here we’ve got a government keen to reintroduce their religious discrimination act if they win the election, yeah because religious institutes like schools should totally be free to say to the LGBT students know you’re not allowed to have an education because of who you are. Starting to think democracy is dead…

Just as a quick additional note on the human rights disaster that is the US Supreme Court overturning Rowe v Wade because it is so much worse than even I first realised, the president this sense guarantees constitutional challenges for seven other landmark human rights cases. The long and short of it is this the doors are now open for constitutional challenges to remove the right for married couples to have access to contraception, Ben interracial marriage, Ben same-sex marriage, Ben same-sex relationships as a whole, then the right for families to choose whether their children can learn a second language or not, and ban protections that would stop states from forcefully sterilising criminals and the disabled.  apologies for any typos in this it’s a bit of a rant and I can’t be bothered going back and fixing all of Siri‘s mistakes.

4 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Just as a quick additional note on the human rights disaster that is the US Supreme Court overturning Rowe v Wade because it is so much worse than even I first realised, the president this sense guarantees constitutional challenges for seven other landmark human rights cases. The long and short of it is this the doors are now open for constitutional challenges to remove the right for married couples to have access to contraception, Ben interracial marriage, Ben same-sex marriage, Ben same-sex relationships as a whole, then the right for families to choose whether their children can learn a second language or not, and ban protections that would stop states from forcefully sterilising criminals and the disabled.  apologies for any typos in this it’s a bit of a rant and I can’t be bothered going back and fixing all of Siri‘s mistakes.

I appreciate that you're upset and this was a rant, but you should probably be bothered because unfortunately I can't understand what you're trying to say. Specifically I refer you to the second part of the first sentence immediately after the comma: "the president this sense guarantees" which makes no sense as written, and I can't seem to deduce or decipher what you actually meant to say like I usually can. Also technically speaking they haven't officially overturned it yet. And I'm not sure what you mean by "the doors are now open" I need to know how and why you believe the doors are now going to be wide open. TIA.

Yes I should have gone back and fixed my previous post, my apologies.

Yes I should have gone back and fixed my previous post, my apologies.

The important part to remember about Rowe v Wade is that it created to specific presidents, firstly that the US Constitution included rights not only expressed but implied by both the document itself and the context within which it was written, and that one of those rights was a right to privacy. The main portion of that decision was that women had the right to privacy free from unreasonable government interference upon their own bodily autonomy and yes I’m paraphrasing a little bit here. It is certainly true the Supreme Court have not yet officially overturned that decision, however it is also true they have confirmed it is their intention to do so.  Also worth noting is four of the current justices label themselves constitutional originalists and do not believe rights which aren’t written in the Constitution exist. That is why I believe the doors are open for an influx of challenges to other landmark decisions because if RbW no longer applies then any decisions which used it as president are also bad law, not bad in the sense that they shouldn’t exist but bad in the sense that they apply incorrect precedent isn’t legalese fun?

now do I believe all seven of the cases which apply RvW Will be overturned? No, two of them certainly won’t be because there’s no appetite from within the right wing to do so. Do I think a system where human rights aren’t protected by legislation but are only guaranteed in common law is kind of stupid? Yes, yes I do and Australia is a much worse offender in that particular respect. In the interests of not clogging up the boards with excessive political talk though I think I will leave it here for now

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

President = precedence, sense = sets

Siri is an idiot.

She really is, and that’s nothing compared with the complete cluster fuck that was my original attempt at fixing my response. It’s no wonder I basically took a two year leave of absence when this is what I’m dealing with in order to post anything…

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

I remember playing with text to speech back in the late 80's and early 90's, that was primitive, no idea why they based Siri and Alexia on the same technology though! :)

Neither do I, more frustrating still is that if I had an extension to fix the background for the form on my laptop this shit wouldn’t be happening. One benefit of not being able to see I had to get very good at touch typing…

On 5/3/2022 at 5:41 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

As for me I'm fine so far, it's been over 82 hours since I was near him, don't know if he had it yet or was contagious yet last Friday. I'm really not sure how long it usually takes from time of exposure til you might start developing symptoms. Of course I am vaccinated while they aren't, which could explain why they got it and I haven't. But that was an entire year ago now, I don't think Omicron (the prevalent strain here in the states) was even a thing yet back then last April/May and I've never bothered to get boosted.

Research shows that the vaccine looses up to (I think) 40% effectiveness against Omicron after only 6 months so I REALLY suggest you get a booster before MDF. After a year you're pretty much unvaccinated again. I don't know about Omicron, but the previous strain had an incubation time of 2-10 days before you develop symptoms. I'm guessing Omicron is faster. But you can still be asymptomatic and spread it to others. Another reason why everyone should get booster shots regularly.

As far as Roe vs Wade, I think it's incredible how USA just continues to shit the bed over and over thanks to the Republican Illuminati of Lindsey Graham, McConnell, etc. I do think that if this passes, the same-sex marriage and sodomy laws are next. Then what, interracial marriage? Handmaid's Tale are starting to look less and less like fiction.

5d9d23f062c08bcd49a88a662d60c00f2181352c

27 minutes ago, Sheol said:

Research shows that the vaccine looses up to (I think) 40% effectiveness against Omicron after only 6 months so I REALLY suggest you get a booster before MDF. After a year you're pretty much unvaccinated again. I don't know about Omicron, but the previous strain had an incubation time of 2-10 days before you develop symptoms. I'm guessing Omicron is faster. But you can still be asymptomatic and spread it to others. Another reason why everyone should get booster shots regularly.

As far as Roe vs Wade, I think it's incredible how USA just continues to shit the bed over and over thanks to the Republican Illuminati of Lindsey Graham, McConnell, etc. I do think that if this passes, the same-sex marriage and sodomy laws are next. Then what, interracial marriage? Handmaid's Tale are starting to look less and less like fiction.

5d9d23f062c08bcd49a88a662d60c00f2181352c

We do know a bit more about omicron these days, the incubation period is more or less the same as previous strains of Covid. It’s just a shame that in many countries the vaccine has become a political issue rather than a public health matter. While we are on the subject more cooperation really is needed, why are countries letting the vaccine expire in fridges when they could share with developing nations so we improve global vaccination rates? It’s no surprise these new strains are coming from less developed and less advantaged countries there is simply more opportunity for it to mutate in those environments.

, why are countries letting the vaccine expire in fridges when they could share with developing nations so we improve global vaccination rates? It’s no surprise these new strains are coming from less developed and less advantaged countries there is simply more opportunity for it to mutate in those environments.

Also that’s what I’m saying, when you have four supreme court justices who believe the only rights people should have a those expressed within the Constitution it is all but inevitable but mate you missed a big one in your list. Don’t forget the Republicans want to appeal to evangelical groups so banning contraception will be the other big push and scrapping Rowe v Wade also lets them attack Griswald v Connecticut, A lesser known but equally important case which upheld married couples, and I believe it was extended to couples in general later on, had the right to privacy including the right to choose contraception without government interference.

on another note I find it a little sad that I, an Australian, seem to be more politically informed about happenings in both America and Britain then many citizens of those countries…

There's talk that Congress will have time to make a federal law protecting women's rights to safe legal gynocare which I assume would include contraception as well as abortion. This would make the constitutionality of R v W moot. I saw the map of states last night that would outright ban abortion the second R v W is overturned, and it included the entire South as well as sizeable parts of the west and midwest. Scary ignorant shit. This proposed Federal law is far from a done deal, but there's hope at least. Clearly an awful lot of people feel very strongly about this issue.

As an unintended side effect, I wonder if this news might serve to galvanize some of the disinterested, apathetic and disgusted voters to come out and retire some of these idiots in November. Term limits term limits term limits. Why isn't anyone talking about term limits? Think we might also need a law rescinding the lifetime appointment status of SC justices at least going forward if not retroactively. Every one of these disingenuous scum claimed they recognized Roe v Wade as "settled law" at their confirmation hearings and here they are just a few years later at their first opportunity voting to declare it unconstitutional. Cunts.

The ironic part is that by letting the red states ban abortion it means that only reasonably financially secure people would be able to afford to travel out of state to the coasts for a legal abortion. This would leave mostly poor people behind to carry their unwanted babies to term. Poor people who will have poor babies who will traditionally vote Democrat and suck up lots of government assistance. You'd think these uptight, sanctimonious, hypocritical Republican morons would be in favor of abortions for poor and minority citizens to keep them from breeding more Democrat welfare recipients. In much the same way they want to build a wall to lock down the border to keep out all the Latino immigrants who they worry will all vote Democrat and suck up government assistance, or at least have offspring who will all vote Democrat and need government assistance. But it's not surprising that they haven't thought this through. 

There is just one glaring problem with that though, because what are the chances of the Democrats getting everyone on board to pass legislation protecting those rights? And they would need every Democrat to vote for it, which at the very least Joe mansion and Kristen Sinema would not do. I funny how Republicans care more about a cluster of cells that doesn’t even have brain activity then they do about children once they are actually born. Term limits probably won’t happen in America because between the Republicans and the corporate Democrats no one wants to be told hey you can only have power for  so long.  If the Republicans are so scared of people stuck below the poverty line why aren’t they in favour of Americans being paid a living wage? Why aren’t they in favour of free education? Why aren’t they in favour of free healthcare? Do you know kind of hard to keep a roof over your head when a trip to the hospital can send you bankrupt. It’s midnight here though and I should definitely try and get some sleep insomnia be damned. 

None of these corporate lapdogs on either side of the aisle are actually for free healthcare or even affordable healthcare. That's my pet issue and that's why I've become completely disgusted with all of them. The Dems are practically as bad as those other cunts and they don't really even bother to go out of their way to hide it anymore. There's hardly a soul in Washington that gives a flying fuck about anyone except themselves and their own. It's class warfare basically, the haves against the have nots, and like most of us, I'm always gonna be on the losing side.

I know term limits will never happen, that's just a silly pipe dream of mine, something I like to fantasize about. Congressman or Senator is supposed to be a public servant not a lucrative career choice. If it were up to me I would institute a limit of no more than one term on all elected officials and I'd put limits on the SCOTUS as well, justices can serve for 10 years maybe. I'd probably increase the Reps term to 4 years from 2 but make it one term and you're out. Same with Senators and Presidents, all of them. One term only. I'd let them run again only after they've sat out for at least a term. But this will never happen, look how many of them get into the Senate and stay there for decades. Most of them get reelected simply because their brain dead constituents have no idea who to vote for so they stick with the names they recognize. Same reason why all they play is 30, 40 & 50 year old songs on the radio. Familiarity makes people feel safe and comfortable. And the smarmy smiling faces they vote for keep on fucking them in perpetuity.

Given the road that USA politics has taken in the past 30 years I don't see myself ever moving there, nor recommend anyone I know to do so. It seems so incredibly capricious with all the healthcare, childcare, wages, vacations, guns and religion. Even if I'd be given like a 2 year research grant it seems like so much could go wrong in that short time. Hell, I'd think twice even going as a tourist. I'd be worried that some cop would pull me over and shoot me on "probable cause" or some shit.

1 hour ago, Sheol said:

Hell, I'd think twice even going as a tourist. I'd be worried that some cop would pull me over and shoot me on "probable cause" or some shit.

I didn't realise you were black? Welcome brother! If not, you've got nothing to worry about. 

Last week I spent an hour and a half in a queue at US immigration. I didn't even want to visit the country, was just transiting, but they make you go through the whole pantomime. 

18 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

None of these corporate lapdogs on either side of the aisle are actually for free healthcare or even affordable healthcare. That's my pet issue and that's why I've become completely disgusted with all of them. The Dems are practically as bad as those other cunts and they don't really even bother to go out of their way to hide it anymore. There's hardly a soul in Washington that gives a flying fuck about anyone except themselves and their own. It's class warfare basically, the haves against the have nots, and like most of us, I'm always gonna be on the losing side.

I know term limits will never happen, that's just a silly pipe dream of mine, something I like to fantasize about. Congressman or Senator is supposed to be a public servant not a lucrative career choice. If it were up to me I would institute a limit of no more than one term on all elected officials and I'd put limits on the SCOTUS as well, justices can serve for 10 years maybe. I'd probably increase the Reps term to 4 years from 2 but make it one term and you're out. Same with Senators and Presidents, all of them. One term only. I'd let them run again only after they've sat out for at least a term. But this will never happen, look how many of them get into the Senate and stay there for decades. Most of them get reelected simply because their brain dead constituents have no idea who to vote for so they stick with the names they recognize. Same reason why all they play is 30, 40 & 50 year old songs on the radio. Familiarity makes people feel safe and comfortable. And the smarmy smiling faces they vote for keep on fucking them in perpetuity.

That’s why it is important though to vote, and vote progressive, the biggest problem with the Democrats is they can never get anything done because they are too busy eating their own. Corporate Democrats might as well be Republicans at this point and so the small number of people who are fighting for the average American can never get anything done. At least you guys do have some Progressives in power over there Bernie Sanders, Alexandria a Casio Cortez, Nina Turner, down here we really don’t even have that. 

Don't know how much power the handful of token progressives in Congress actually wield. And the constant rhetoric from the right branding progressives as "communists" and "socialists" and "radical left" over time has got even many reasonably moderate let's say slightly left leaning citizens starting to believe the propaganda and now they're questioning whether maybe the left really is a bunch of radical commies. Which is ludicrous because most Washington Democrats are actually Republicans in Sheep's clothing. I find it fascinating (as well as disturbing) how so many people are so willing to believe the bullshit from either side because they don't have any actual information and can't be bothered to come up with any ideas of their own. It's as if they don't even want to think for themselves, in many cases people really are mindless sheep just begging to be led to the slaughter because it's easier than thinking. Imho of course.

Gotta replace the door motor on the garage door today. I've spent 7 years nursing the current one into working and staying working so I don't have to get out of the car and open the door but it's finally given up the ghost. Shitty thing is that because of a bad install when the house/garage was built I can't get the old motor off so I'm going to have to disengage it and install the new one on the other side and that requires a new power point and new cabling run from the opposite side of the garage. It's no wonder I've pampered the old one for so long, I'm to f'n old to be crawling through the roofspace running cables.

42 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Gotta replace the door motor on the garage door today. I've spent 7 years nursing the current one into working and staying working so I don't have to get out of the car and open the door but it's finally given up the ghost. Shitty thing is that because of a bad install when the house/garage was built I can't get the old motor off so I'm going to have to disengage it and install the new one on the other side and that requires a new power point and new cabling run from the opposite side of the garage. It's no wonder I've pampered the old one for so long, I'm to f'n old to be crawling through the roofspace running cables.

Just go doorless Vic, it's very liberating. Or maybe if you slipped one of the cows a few bucks she'd agree to be "on call" and come over to open the door for you if you texted her when you were like 10 minutes out.