What's on your mind?

Apoc

That old phrase of pulling yourself up by the boot straps came about due to the impossibility of the task. If you’re not born into a position of privilege it’s almost impossible to make a comfortable living in Australia, even worse in America, I and the worst part is it’s a problem which could quite easily be solved. 

If people really want to make such a big deal of classes in society I'm certainly not going to stop them, but I honestly have much better things to worry about in life than whether I'm on the same level as the bloke next to me.

It's obviously black and white with some people. "I'm here, I can't grow because.....", "My life is where it's at because..." Fine we all go through stages like that, and some do it harder than others. But not everyone sits back and lets those excuses define them, some people make the effort and change their life. It's not often easy, it's sometimes fucking hard, and sometimes the risk doesn't seem worth it, but that doesn't mean it can't be done, or can only be done by those in a particular class.

52 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

If people really want to make such a big deal of classes in society I'm certainly not going to stop them, but I honestly have much better things to worry about in life than whether I'm on the same level as the bloke next to me.

It's obviously black and white with some people. "I'm here, I can't grow because.....", "My life is where it's at because..." Fine we all go through stages like that, and some do it harder than others. But not everyone sits back and lets those excuses define them, some people make the effort and change their life. It's not often easy, it's sometimes fucking hard, and sometimes the risk doesn't seem worth it, but that doesn't mean it can't be done, or can only be done by those in a particular class.

It's not black or white.  Sure a poor person can make it but it's going to be a lot harder for them than some privileged upper class type who went to an elite private school.* 

And it's not about all being same, it's about all having access to same opportunities, being paid and treated fairly and being able to obtain basic standard of living and obtain basic services without going through financial turmoil.

And it's also about having an equitable society whereby most of the wealth doesn't get funnelled to top 10% of people.  It's also about not exploiting people.

Oh and hard work is not a reason for success.  Hardest workers I know earn fuck all - cleaners, hospitality, aged care workers.  The doctors are lazy and in some cases complain about seeing clients at all (one literally refused to see more than 2 a day - those were 30-45 minute appointments).  And hell I'm middle management these days and not exactly hard working either (doesn't help the agency I work for  management structure and culture has collapsed).  

When I was in stockbroking I did 70% of the work and earned $25,000 (slightly above legal minimum wage - it should have been $30,000 but they fudged it and I accepted because there was no work  in my field at the time) .  I was expected to work public holidays and overtime without extra pay (cause our system allows this).  My boss did the other 30% and he was on $250,000+.  He mainly spent his time reading newspapers or doing stuff for his aero club or organising hunting trips.

And here's where class kicks in.  

I was told I'd have opportunities for development etc but was given none.  They literally tried to tell me that a $500 pa increase in salary was a performance bonus when it was in fact a government mandated minimum wage increase.

Another woman started a couple of months after me.  She was made a partner within 3 months despite having no experience (straight out of uni) and being regarded as useless by everyone in the place.  But you see her father was rich and had a lot of rich mates.

So I worked hard and was kept in the mud.  She came from wealth and was given a promotion despite lack of capability, experience.

The Hobart office was by all accounts the same - the senior partners had their pets who were all elite school wankers.  Some of these guys openly skirted or even violated financial laws but senior partners turned a blind eye to it.  Meanwhile everyone else was slammed, including one guy who was sacked because he refused to take on more responsibilities in exchange for a pay cut!  (We were all coached on how to respond if we had to give evidence at the unfair dismissal hearing).

So tell me again how far hard work gets you? 

And that was early 2000s.  It's a lot more fucked now especially as industrial protections are so weak in the private sector.  

If that's your view on the world that's your choice, but I chose to look at things differently. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not but I am content with where my life is. 30 years ago I wasn't so content and I changed it and I've changed it multiple times since but apparently that's not for everyone.

41 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

If that's your view on the world that's your choice, but I chose to look at things differently. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not but I am content with where my life is. 30 years ago I wasn't so content and I changed it and I've changed it multiple times since but apparently that's not for everyone.

Not even thinking about my life.

I am thinking about my daughter's and niece and nephew's prospects.  Regardless of how much we help them, they're going to have it much harder than you or I.

And to be honest they're the lucky ones.  I know teachers in public schools where there are virtually no resources and no hope any of these kids will ever amount to anything due to the massive cultural and socio-economic issues.  Meanwhile the private schools get lavished with government funding and offer all the latest tax payer funded facilities and services for hefty prices.

My wife works with domestic violence victims, of which an increasing number is homeless due to lack of public housing (government sold most of it off in 1990s/2000s and privatised much of what remained).  And they've got kids.  So they're living out of cars, or couch surfing with kids not having any stability.

Permanent or full time work is rare.  Even government jobs are becoming precarious due to short term funding nature of positions (2 years etc).  

Unemployment benefits and social welfare are increasingly unliveable and are some of the lowest in OECD.  Same for pensions.  Cost of healthcare is skyrocketing due to government freezing bulk billing rebates for years and deregulation.

And despite all this huge amounts of tax payer dollars going to the rich either in superannuation, government endorsed tax avoidance schemes, and convoluted social welfare systems that often benefit middle classes and not the poor and privatisation of services which sees huge amounts going to the rich who then deliver very little services (eg NDIS) or take huge amounts of cash and then mistreat their clients and employees (eg Aged care and related highly lucrative ACFI funding system).

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Great stuff.

Truth is most of our economic KPIs were developed under a completely different economy. 

Unemployment made more sense as a measure when most people were employed in a full time manner.  In a casualised economy it's not so valid.  Indeed some Australian economists also talk about underemployment ie people working some hours but wanting more.

Also governments in Australia capitalised on education to lower rates.  So long term unemployed get funnelled through pointless education courses at which point there no longer unemployed.  I knew a number of people who did pointless education courses to meet these requirements.  A guy I knew at University who worked for a Liberal party senator actually admitted jacking up education enrolment was an unemployment reduction scheme.

And as mentioned now you've got a glut of university graduates for whom there is no work!

Same thing with CPI - it used to be much more straightforward in a less globalised economy.

And now you've got financialization of the economy whereby a huge amount of economic "production" is actually money spinning in non productive areas (eg derivatives trading, things like crypto and even the stock market whose main purpose is blowing up share prices, not obtaining new capital). 

Even now many economists, politicians and policy makers are coming to grasp with the idea that commercial banks actually create money by lending.   They no longer need to have cash in vault to lend you money.  Instead they create a loan asset (joys of double entry accounting in a digital age).

27% of this goes to other financial corporations, 50% for mortgages, 8% for high cost credit (credit cards, overdraft) and only 15% to non-financial business (aka businesses that produce things or perform non-financial services).

So that 27% is spinning itself around multiplying, 50% is mortgages for non productive housing and this is apparently GDP growth!?!?

Hence the need for substantial reforms, most of which actually pay for themselves. It’s not unreasonable to overhaul education basing our model on Finland and similar EU countries. Equally adopting something akin to the green new deal, which sadly will never pass in America, would simultaneously solve our energy problems, and paired with the closing of corporate tax loopholes allow hours to pay for more social welfare programs. Is it easy? Of course not that’s why it’s worth doing.

The only way to ensure change is by continuing to push for left-leaning politicians to come into power unfortunately for us the so-called left in labour aren’t really these days and the grains, well certainly not the ideal candidates, would be a good option where they organised enough to represent a legitimate threat to the status quo.

a legitimate threat to the status quo.

Funny enough I’ve just had a heated argument with my brother over the various corporate tax loopholes, as well as personal tax loopholes. Safe to say we have very different opinions on whether something is ethical just because it is legal. 

I really thought I'd done my back in yesterday lifting thick cast metal manole cover lids at work. Oddly enough the little one was the worst. It was the poor lifting technique that was the concern. Unfortunately sometimes with heavy things putting them down is easier said than done.  A heavy item on foot is not good. Im not needing to take heavy pain killers so I'm probably ok. I'm sure I'm not only one who finds some heavy lifting a bit scary at times.  

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I really thought I'd done my back in yesterday lifting thick cast metal manole cover lids at work. Oddly enough the little one was the worst. It was the poor lifting technique that was the concern. Unfortunately sometimes with heavy things putting them down is easier said than done.  A heavy item on foot is not good. Im not needing to take heavy pain killers so I'm probably ok. I'm sure I'm not only one who finds some heavy lifting a bit scary at times.  

Get someone to knee cap you with a baseball bat, it wont fix your back but it will stop you thinking about it :)

On 3/11/2022 at 12:59 AM, KillaKukumba said:

Get someone to knee cap you with a baseball bat, it wont fix your back but it will stop you thinking about it :)

Thanks that was really what I needed. Loads of sympathy 😉 our plumber is stopping installation of new boilers because of the lifting strains on his back and kness. He does not need to be capped in the knees as there already knackered. Same with another plumber I spoke to when I was at garage having work van serviced. His body is broke so he now got a desk job with the council.⌨️💻🖱️ 

On 3/9/2022 at 1:03 AM, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Yeah Covid sucks and my hearings fine now lol, was totally worth it! Hehe, I would go and see him again definitely, he is so good with his audience and is very appreciative of his fans, you always feel part of his show hes very interactive and his voice is awesome the band that played first I couldnt hear the guys voice too well but Blaze’s voice is so clear and powerful it was indeed a great show definitely see him live if you can

When The Man Who Would Not Die came on I started full on headbanging it was amazing to hear it live and when he pointed at me and sang at me it was ace, never been so close I even shook his hand while he was on stage, great experience and when I said hi to him after he was more than happy to sign my cd’s and shirt and take a picture :D

Fantastic your getting back to full health. 

The man who would not die is an album I like a lot so I bet that title track was amazing live. I'm listening to X factor again. Still I'm loving it. You was well lucky to see blaze live and the shows with audience participation is what I like too👍. I'm going to have to get on the mailing list as I want to see him live more so than iron maiden. What a voice and the tickets cost bit less too😉 I reckon very good going to get the autograph stuff.  Well done. When I meet famous people I just shake there hand and walk off or just think there a look alike😁

15 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Fantastic your getting back to full health. 

The man who would not die is an album I like a lot so I bet that title track was amazing live. I'm listening to X factor again. Still I'm loving it. You was well lucky to see blaze live and the shows with audience participation is what I like too👍. I'm going to have to get on the mailing list as I want to see him live more so than iron maiden. What a voice and the tickets cost bit less too😉 I reckon very good going to get the autograph stuff.  Well done. When I meet famous people I just shake there hand and walk off or just think there a look alike😁

Thanks mate!! Still coughing and a bit fatigued but i’m a lot better now :)

Yes TMWWND is a fantastic album, been listening to more of his stuff now too (Tenth Dimension and Silicon Messiah album) and they are great too, especially the song Kill and Destroy thats a head wrecker!! His band played that live too, and yeah hes well worth seeing live, fingers crossed you get to see him! 

And of course I had to take a couple cds for him to sign, its great looking at them and remembering how you got them and was great saying hi to him again, next on my list are Tim Ripper Owens and the legendary Saxon! Would love to meet them I really wanted to meet Ripper when I saw him in Wolverhampton but he was nowhere to be seen after the show :( wanted to meet Saxon too but knew there would be no chance after lol

Cat still poorly, was in the vets for 2 days last week getting hydrated again and now is stacked up (noticed her stomach was bloated) so she went back today for an enema that has done nothing so it is back in tomorrow to go under for a procedure.

In other news, a completely first world problem I know but had to let our cleaners go as they were doing such a bad job.  We share the cleaning normally but my fiancée currently has a back injury and I just don't have the time (nor the energy) to do it myself each week.  Not helped by the fact that after my fiancée painted the bathroom white a couple of years ago she took to having candles on in there when she was in the bath and the walls are stained with soot and look awful so it needs redecorating since cleaning it each week is a thankless task the way the walls look.

Eureka flag that was used by protesting miners in Ballarat at the famous Eureka stockade and that influenced the design of our own AustralIan flag banned in workplaces by Federal Government.

Australia continues its incremental slide into authoritarianism.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-16/unions-rally-against-offensive-restrictions-on-eureka-flag-use/100912412