What's on your mind?

Apoc

What even is "intensity" in music though? I don't think it's something intrinsic to the music, it's in how you react to it, and there's a lot of room for interpretation as is the case with all of this stuff. I think a lot of black metal is intense; maybe it doesn't lend itself to the same kind of physical response that chunkier and more rhythm-oriented music would, but it can still be just as gripping an experience.

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

What even is "intensity" in music though? I don't think it's something intrinsic to the music, it's in how you react to it, and there's a lot of room for interpretation as is the case with all of this stuff. I think a lot of black metal is intense; maybe it doesn't lend itself to the same kind of physical response that chunkier and more rhythm-oriented music would, but it can still be just as gripping an experience.

And interpretation is the whole reason we're here, innit? I generally (no pun intended) appreciate hearing other people's interpretations of music even when it's interpretations of stuff I don't particularly like, and even if I don't happen to agree. I still enjoy going to M-A every now and then and reading reviews of stuff I'm already familiar with, or with a lot of the newer stuff I find that hasn't picked up any reviews yet I'll Google up some reviews just to see others' interpretations. 

I agree with your point about intensity (or in Kuke's case in tent cities) that the biggest part of the intensity of a piece of music equates to how you react to it, and also with Doc's point how many different forms of even much less extreme music can still be "intense." But at the same time I completely understand the context in which Deadovic is using the word. He and I for all our myriad philosophical differences are cut from the same cloth, we want straightforward riffy music with some balls, teeth, power, edge, zip, oomph, intensity, whatever word you'd like to use. Or let's say we both want music that inspires those similar kinds of feelings in us.

Problem is we clearly just have completely different ideas about which kinds of music we think can deliver those feelings, as I'm sure everyone else does as well. Now we're right back to interpretation. At the end of the day if a record sounds cool and gets my blood pumping and my head bopping and makes me feel some kind of way then I'm good, and I don't always need to overthink things beyond just appreciating that visceral response for what it is. If this riffy ballsy music sounds in some way 'evil' then that ratchets up the intense factor for me exponentially. But I realize that's not necessarily true for anyone else.

Sometimes I feel paralyzed in my ability to communicate anything about music because of how fuzzy all the language is. Ballsy, riffy, heavy, shit even "fast" and "slow" become relative terms. I think there are some objective things to be said about music, but like you say, as with so many other things, what matters isn't what happens so much as how you feel about it. I do actually like a bunch of the same bands that you do, especially the older black metal and death metal, but then I hear some of the newer stuff along those lines and it just sounds samey and safe and the aggression comes across as window dressing. I'm probably just being jaded and grumpy. No doubt being hard to please is a problem of mine. Especially lately, in many aspects of life... lots of stress and a bit of emotional burnout, I suppose.

Lots on my mind. Currently working on an illustration, two or three more painting projects coming up right after, dealing with album release stuff, wishing I had time to play and record some guitar ideas, worried about my son's behavior and mental state, thinking about the new baby coming along in less than two months, wife's medical appointments, tons of chores... lots of mundane but nevertheless important stuff. And here I am wondering whether to buy some digital copies of Darkthrone albums to save myself hours of digging through the closet for my CDs and ripping everything, because I'm highly suggestible and all the Darkthrone stans around these parts have got me back in the mood. Thus I distract myself with fluff, and another day goes into the meat grinder.

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I distract myself with fluff, and another day goes into the meat grinder.

This makes me wonder if maybe we're related.

Today I got the kid on the bus at 8:25 then I paced all over the house while I was waiting around for an inspection, or a reinspection actually. I'm not a good waiter. Had to go look out the door every time I heard a noise to see if it was my GC or the inspector who would arrive first. Contractor got there 11:20 then the inspector finally showed up at 11:45 and we sort of passed this time. He gave me a list last time of shit to do to pass but now today he asked us to put some more bracing up across the ceiling joists because we'd used 2x6's instead of 2x10's because the price of lumber was through the roof last summer. So officially speaking we got a red sticker, but in the end he gave us the OK to go ahead and insulate though, which is all I really cared about at this point because it's cold as fuck right now, been getting down into the single digits most nights recently. Forecast says 1° for tonight, 7° Sunday night, -2° next Wed night, 7° Thurs. Can't stand to be in the kitchen for too long cooking or anything because it's just too damn cold in there. Mid 30's in the morning usually then low 40's in the afternoon, 50° on a good day if it's over freezing out. Pipes have frozen on us twice when it got down below 5° overnight but we put heat tape around them and I leave the water trickling at night to keep it moving and they didn't freeze last night at 6°.  The inspector had me go down to town hall to hand in our architect's revisions and get them stamped and to file a separate permit for the pellet stove. Got down there and the lady made me drive 15 minutes back home to get the stove's owner's manual so she could copy the page where it states the tolerances for how close to the walls it can be and the venting and shit. Filed my permit, paid my back taxes and my front taxes then went to the bank to get some cash for the sheetrockers who will be rocking us hopefully late next week. Or as soon as we pass the insulation and stove inspection which might or might not be next Thursday, depending on if the lady can get my permit processed by then. Came back home and cleaned the ashes out of the stove fired it up again and now the school bus should be here in about 15 minutes at 4:20, the whole fucking day is gone.

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Sometimes I feel paralyzed in my ability to communicate anything about music because of how fuzzy all the language is

I do feel kind of the same sometimes which is one of the reasons I never bother to review albums. I've been asked to, but I've always felt I'd just be making up words to appease a reader, not actually reviewing the album. Of course it's easy to say I like "X" album, or I don't like it, but when people read reviews they want information, not stories. I've written multiple full length novels, I've written more than 2000 short stories, I do know how to string words together (despite my sometimes woeful forum posts) but to write a review of anything I tend to forgo what I heard and with every re-read and proof read I end up making a good review sound more like an exciting book chapter, or a bad review sound like a murder scene.

26 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I do feel kind of the same sometimes which is one of the reasons I never bother to review albums. I've been asked to, but I've always felt I'd just be making up words to appease a reader, not actually reviewing the album. Of course it's easy to say I like "X" album, or I don't like it, but when people read reviews they want information, not stories. I've written multiple full length novels, I've written more than 2000 short stories, I do know how to string words together (despite my sometimes woeful forum posts) but to write a review of anything I tend to forgo what I heard and with every re-read and proof read I end up making a good review sound more like an exciting book chapter, or a bad review sound like a murder scene.

Has any of your work been published?

I wanted to write when I was at school but back then teachers said what they thought and my English teacher's words were 'don't bother you'll never write anything someone wants to read'. I didn't really take it to heart but I never bothered to try. Then with the long and lonely hours in the truck I started to make stories in my head. I then moved to writing them down and then eventually when small factor PC's became a thing I was able to write in the truck when I couldn't sleep, which was a lot.

I never cared if someone wanted to read my ramblings or not, I wrote for the sake of it, sometimes for my own sanity just to get shit out of my head. I never expected to become an author and I knew it wouldn't be a simple process but I was talked into trying it by a bunch of people who had been reading my stuff. I don't regret putting in the effort, but I also doubt I'll ever try again.

6 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Sometimes I feel paralyzed in my ability to communicate anything about music because of how fuzzy all the language is. Ballsy, riffy, heavy, shit even "fast" and "slow" become relative terms. I think there are some objective things to be said about music, but like you say, as with so many other things, what matters isn't what happens so much as how you feel about it. I do actually like a bunch of the same bands that you do, especially the older black metal and death metal, but then I hear some of the newer stuff along those lines and it just sounds samey and safe and the aggression comes across as window dressing. I'm probably just being jaded and grumpy. No doubt being hard to please is a problem of mine. Especially lately, in many aspects of life... lots of stress and a bit of emotional burnout, I suppose.

Lots on my mind. Currently working on an illustration, two or three more painting projects coming up right after, dealing with album release stuff, wishing I had time to play and record some guitar ideas, worried about my son's behavior and mental state, thinking about the new baby coming along in less than two months, wife's medical appointments, tons of chores... lots of mundane but nevertheless important stuff. And here I am wondering whether to buy some digital copies of Darkthrone albums to save myself hours of digging through the closet for my CDs and ripping everything, because I'm highly suggestible and all the Darkthrone stans around these parts have got me back in the mood. Thus I distract myself with fluff, and another day goes into the meat grinder.

I think we can probably all relate to your honest post. Life gets overwhelming and sometimes I feel like I can't see the forest for the trees. Burnout comes in lots of flavors and then it's easy to say fuck music for a while. But you come back anyway.

A lot of the newer stuff does sound samey which, I guess, is why I'm always on the sidelines just waiting for  something to come along,  as it eventually will in an older style or a mishmash re splicing genres and just when a genre feels dead and bereft of ideas, a group of young,  usually, guys or oldsters who have been rummaging in the hinterlands forever and finally churn out some music....magically, despite odds....turns an old dino-genre into something exciting. Who doesn't live for those moments. 

Hang in with your career, family and stressors. You've got a group of people rooting for you-including me. Whatever this is, the one given, good or bad it shall pass. 

3 hours ago, markm said:

I think we can probably all relate to your honest post. Life gets overwhelming and sometimes I feel like I can't see the forest for the trees. Burnout comes in lots of flavors and then it's easy to say fuck music for a while. But you come back anyway.

A lot of the newer stuff does sound samey which, I guess, is why I'm always on the sidelines just waiting for  something to come along,  as it eventually will in an older style or a mishmash re splicing genres and just when a genre feels dead and bereft of ideas, a group of young,  usually, guys or oldsters who have been rummaging in the hinterlands forever and finally churn out some music....magically, despite odds....turns an old dino-genre into something exciting. Who doesn't live for those moments. 

Hang in with your career, family and stressors. You've got a group of people rooting for you-including me. Whatever this is, the one given, good or bad it shall pass. 

Hey man, I'm touched by how thoughtful and supportive this is. It helps to hear and I really appreciate it. Thank you.

I am bitten by the workout bug again after just two weeks with my weights bench which is a perfect fit alongside my desk in my office at home.  Long since abandoned going to the gym despite being a regular for 15 years up until around the age of 30.  My mother used to be a gym instructor and I spent most summer holidays at work with her when grandparents couldn't accommodate having me stay over for 6-8 weeks on a daily basis.  As such, the importance of exercise got taught to me at an early age.

No ambitions to become a hulking type mind.  Just three times a week for an hour or so to get the heart going and try and get some walks in on non-training days.  Healthy body helps my mood tremendously and I just need to tidy up the diet a bit more (down to just two bottles of beer/glasses of spirit a week) and get some more fruit and veg in there along with more fish.  

Taking life a bit easier this year so far both in my work and personal life, just kind of going with things as they happen and I feel better armed for the curved balls (which are a weekly if not daily thing at work).  Likewise in my listening habits I am less planned in my approach to hearing new stuff.  Just seeing where each day takes me and whether it is from 2022 or 1972 it doesn't really fucking matter anymore.  Perhaps with he exception of thrash metal where I will need to keep up with new releases for the "radio" / playlist thing I do elsewhere on the web, my metal listening in 2022 won't be consciously structured around new releases.

What annoys me about the get fitter bug is that every morning for as long as I can remember I've gotten out of bed before 6am, in recent years that's more like 5am as the farms have taken a priority and the girls need checking. But lately getting up at the same time to go for a ride is a bloody effort and something I can make excuses not to do. Thankfully I can talk myself back into it once I'm on my feet, I've just got to get there.

I used to be that way with both running (150 miles/week) and cycling, but my joints complain too much these days. Even did CrossFit for years at 1 hour x 4-5 days/week for a few years at 5am. Pretty much the only exercise I get these days is 1 round of golf per week. Not nearly enough. Need to find something to do to get my ass mobile again.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

I used to be that way with both running (150 miles/week) and cycling, but my joints complain too much these days. Even did CrossFit for years at 1 hour x 4-5 days/week for a few years at 5am. Pretty much the only exercise I get these days is 1 round of golf per week. Not nearly enough. Need to find something to do to get my ass mobile again.

150 miles a week? I'm doing the math in my head. There's only 7 days in a week.  That's like 5 marathons each week. HFS! You must have been a machine.

Make that 6 marathons. I suck at math. And if I alternate running and walking on a track like run the straights and walk the turns for 3 miles I think I've had a good work out. What fools these mortals be. 

3 minutes ago, markm said:

150 miles a week? I'm doing the math in my head. There's only 7 days in a week.  That's like 5 marathons each week. HFS! You must have been a machine.

Back in the day when I could feel my legs. On active duty I would do 10 miles before work and usually 10-15 after. Weekend training runs were usually around 20. Probably closer to 100-120 most weeks towards the end. All those miles start to accumulate. Little nagging injuries forced me to start taking days off. I never kept running logs, but I usually did several half marathons and a couple fulls a year. I love running more than any other exercise or sport, but I just can't do it anymore. When I lost feeling in my legs post cancer, changed all of my mechanics and made it painful. Plus I don't get the "push off" from dorsiflexion, so I'm very slow and tend to slap the ground with my feet. Cycling is out too. I don't trust myself to be able to clip out when I need to and avoid a fall. No balance for surfing that I love. All I'm left with is golf. Not the end of the world because I love golf and I'm decent at it. Just not the best exercise. I do like to fish, but it's frustrating, expensive, and I can only take it in small doses (1-2 hours at a time) and it's not exactly an active activity.

Need to get back in the gym. Have always been a gym rat but rona fucking broke my will to go. I have plenty of equipment at the house, but I never work out that hard at home like I do at the gym.

5 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I'm working on a new theory, don't think about getting old and the aging pains go away.

Mind over matter. Works for me. My theory is that all the aches and pains take a lot of people by surprise in their early to mid 40's. But once you accept that that's just the way it's gonna be from now on and realize you still have another 30 -40 years of this shit to go yet (god willing😜) you kinda get used to it, and then put it out of your mind and just go on living your life.

17 hours ago, navybsn said:

When I lost feeling in my legs post cancer, changed all of my mechanics and made it painful. Plus I don't get the "push off" from dorsiflexion, so I'm very slow and tend to slap the ground with my feet.

Let me ask you a question Navy. Was the loss of dorsiflexion (yeah I had to google it) due to radiation or some other by product of your bout with cancer? Or was it an old sports injury, or is this just something anatomically corrupt about you that you've always had? Just curious because when my wife had radiation treatment on her axillary area in 2012 it left her with limited mobility in her left arm. Even 3 years later she couldn't raise it up higher than paralell to the ground. It also left her left breast unable to produce milk so when she had the baby she was only able to nurse him on her right side.