What's on your mind?

Apoc

I'll never be better than my parents because my mum is perfect, just ask her!

Actually I wouldn't want to tally up all the mistakes I've made as a parent and compare them to the ones my parents made parents because I reckon the count will be pretty similar. But at the end of the day I'm alive and so are my kids so I'm going to assume the good outweighed the bad.

33 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I'll never be better than my parents because my mum is perfect, just ask her!

Actually I wouldn't want to tally up all the mistakes I've made as a parent and compare them to the ones my parents made parents because I reckon the count will be pretty similar. But at the end of the day I'm alive and so are my kids so I'm going to assume the good outweighed the bad.

Yeah, it's an "aspiration" more than a tally. I wouldn't like to see that count either.

12 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I bought a black suit as well as a white dress shirt and purple & silver paisley tie for my daughters wedding in 2014. No idea what happened to that stuff, I don't ever have any reason to wear a suit and tie. My wife even made me buy black dress shoes but I wouldn't ever wear them again because I felt pretty stupid wearing shiny pointy shoes. I'll wear some Doc Marten's or something if I ever need to wear a suit again.

Cowboy boots?

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

As guiding principles go, that is a good one. 

It's a challenge for me to improve on my own upbringing as I had a pretty lucky ride. The only trump cards I have are not polluting my daughter's head with religion (and even that was pretty mild for me - but you can never underestimate the damage that the great lie of religion does to a mind - it is child abuse) and presenting a relatively anti-materialist home life with the environment and health at the core of every decision we make (my mum bought a lot of clothes she didn't need but admittedly was a whizz at balancing family finances on my dad's teacher's salary and her part time job). 

All we can ever do is aspire to be better than and improve on our parents. And in Dead's case be A LOT better than our parents!

Yeah, that's a hope for all of us I guess. I didn't have it too rough growing up because of my grandparents who always stepped in to help whenever my parents fucked up (which was often). That's not to say we didn't eat bologna sandwiches 3 times a week for dinner. I rarely had new clothes for school or money to take for lunch or other school stuff. My folks were some of the worst at managing money. Took me years to learn how not to follow in their footsteps. I worked my ass off to provide a good home for our daughter. She never had to worry about money problems or what she was going to have for dinner. She always knew her parents loved each other, loved her (and didn't look at her as a future meal ticket), and weren't going to split up at any time. Shit got rough when my folks split. Fortunately, I was old enough to take on some of the responsibility of caring for my younger sister when my dad moved away and my mom disappeared, but that's not something a 15 yr old should have to do. The kid's not very appreciative. If anything, we over did it. Spoiled is the word I guess, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I just wish she would acknowledge and take advantage of the head start we gave her in life instead of wasting it.

My wife did her best to ensure she was christian, and I did my best to teach her to question everything. I think we found a happy medium. She chose to become Catholic (like the wife) when she was 13. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say she's about a 4 which means she's pretty liberal. Not crazy like my Adventist grandparents. I was overly conscious not to subject her to the fucking insanity I was brought up with that taught me to hate everything about organized religion. I don't really resent my upbringing because as shitty as it was at times, it helped to get where I am today. Lots of folks have it much worse, so I have to count myself as one of the fortunate.

All this just further concretes my thoughts that parenting is too much like hard work.  I am a classic only child and hated most other children's company even as a child myself let alone as a very impatient adult.  I get the whole argument about how it is different if the kid is yours.  Just not interested in ever trying it out after doing the step-parent piece for a few years.

My favourite argument over the subject of having kids was with my then sister-in-law who basically admitted having kids for little reason other than to have someone to look after her when she got old.

Yeah but you have to have smart kids for that to happen, and it's a big risk, not every kid turns out smart enough to look after another human. You can train them in their formative years with soft toys, pets, even grand parents, but there is no guarantee. They also need decent paying jobs to make the old folks life easier, and that doesn't always come easy.

10 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Yeah but you have to have smart kids for that to happen, and it's a big risk, not every kid turns out smart enough to look after another human. You can train them in their formative years with soft toys, pets, even grand parents, but there is no guarantee. They also need decent paying jobs to make the old folks life easier, and that doesn't always come easy.

With the amount of kids my ex-sister-in-law has had with different fathers she has certainly maximised the odds on getting at least one gene pool that has the compassion required. 😂

5 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

With the amount of kids my ex-sister-in-law has had with different fathers she has certainly maximised the odds on getting at least one gene pool that has the compassion required. 😂

The kind of woman that has as many kids as possible in the hope that one of them is going to look after their bludger-self in old age is not the greatest starter pack of genetic material. The kind of guy that impregnates a woman of that type is also not much of a contribution. In genetics two wrong-uns rarely make a right-on. Compassion probably comes more from nurture anyway, which will be in short supply in that kind of household.

There are too many people in the world and most children born today are going to end up in a mad max style dystopia fighting over scraps in the resource wars to come. There is no other endgame on a finite planet. Despite scholars proposing that human population should have reached a saturation point decades ago (and so far it hasn't happened), it is still inevitable. Earth is a closed system so you cannot infinitely fill a closed system, especially with the mindless consumer scum that are born today.

The left they say I'm a facist
The right calling me communist
Hate hate hate hatred for all - one and all
No matter what you believe
Don't believe in you - and that's true

-Petrus T Steele

Busy week ahead starting this Friday when two rescue kittens (brother and sister - Vlad & Mina) arrive from the foster home they have had for a few days.  Got to figure out a room for them for a couple of days to get them settled and then how we introduce them to the four year old and sixteen year old cat respectively.  I am maxed out with work and heading away for two days back end of next week for a conference before having to spend time with the mother-in-law for her fucking birthday on the Saturday night.  I might opt for kitten sitting duties instead.

I'm enjoying my two days off from work before I have to go back and do it all over again. Reading up on the 1983 nuclear war scare and how that impacted popular culture at the time, although nobody really knew about it while it was happening.

Thinking about going on Hells Headbangers and ordering some more vinyl although I'm not sure what I want to get yet.

Got to put a new gate on the bull's paddock today. :(

Was driving past the bulls paddock, which is always separated from the girls for obvious reasons, and our resident pyscho beast decided he wanted the hay on the back of the tractor instead of the bale I'd already thrown over the fence for him. It took him multiple shots but the the gate bent just like it was in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Thankfully it will be a quick job because hanging out in the bulls paddock is not something we take lightly, but it's better than getting the 1250kg beast into the race and trying to get him on a truck.

15 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Thankfully it will be a quick job because hanging out in the bulls paddock is not something we take lightly, but it's better than getting the 1250kg beast into the race and trying to get him on a truck.

1250kg? Holy shit. What an absolute unit. I've met some 4-500 kg elk and they were scary enough!

We've got 6 bulls between the farms. Psycho is the biggest and eldest, he's our main breeding Angus. He really didn't have to put on a show when he bent the gate for me, the big bastard can actually just put his weight behind him and push gates, chained or not, out of the way. Thankfully bulls don't generally look at a gate and see freedom is only a push away. Some cows love to push the barbed wire and see if they can't get through a fence but as long as the bulls can't see the potential mothers they don't tend to look for escape routes.

What's on my mind is trying to figure out how to get out of working with this rancid bitch night manager that I have to work with for an hour on Saturday. All of my other managers are fine, because they are leaders who are supportive and have a can-do attitude. This ginger Uruk-Hai is one of the nastiest people I've ever met, gets multiple customer complaints every day, likes to try and run off new hires so that her little night clique isn't disrupted, and is generally a hate filled and miserable person to work with. I cannot stand her. I had the option to leave early today, but I told the Manager on Duty "I'd rather leave early on Saturday so I don't have to work with (name) as I am pretty sure that she hates me".

Got good news today though that she is on her last leg with the company. They just have to find a replacement for her and then she's getting let go for being such a nasty human being. I hope they find a replacement soon.