What's on your mind?

Apoc

Thats one thing that really stuck with me about my 5 week trip to Oz, the oppressive heat & humidity. It was Christmastime 2016 and they gave my wife and I a $200 voucher towards dinner at that rotating restaurant up at the top of the Sky Tower in Sydney. I remember sitting on a bench at the train station sweating as my wife took selfies of us wishing I was anywhere else where it was cool as we waited for our train. Places in the states where it might get well over 100° are out west where they have very low humidity. But in Sydney they have the 110° temps and the high humidity together at the same time and it's fucking horrible, you can hardly breathe when you go outside. I'll have to bring the boy back over to see his Nana sooner or later but I would never go back there in January, I'd go in winter. What those Aussies think of as winter is pretty much a beautiful spring day to me. A little overcast and some rain? No problem, anything is better than 110°+ And snow? Hate shoveling it if I have to get out, but I would never want to live somewhere that didn't have cold winters. Love the cold, hate the heat. I would be very happy if it never ever went above 70°F.

The thing about humidity here is that it changes dramatically between states. Sydney gets hot and humid in summer which makes it a very sticky and uncomfortable heat. But north in Queensland and Northern Territory it's more tropical where the sun feels hot then it pisses down rain for two months because it's the summer wet season. Then in the West it can be 110+ for a month and zero humidty so the sun doesn't feel as hot as it does in the east. I love the west and can happily live in 100-110 for a week or two but after than I've had enough, (or it could just be I've had enough of family and want to get back to the east, either works!). But thankfully over in the east they don't often get two weeks of temps that high because the humidty would make it uncomfortable

Winters can vary too, up in Northern Territory at the moment they are still having temps between 90 and 105 and relatively rain free days. Whereas in the south down in Tassie and some of the high country in Victoria it's cold enough for snow.

9 hours ago, Natassja said:

The weather here in northern UK has been gorgeous recently, I was at the beach collecting shells only for an hour or so but still managed to get a bit of sunburn, teach me to forget the sunblock. Not built for the heat here !

Back to standard British summer weather today though, rain, rain and more rain. 

9 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Fair one mate.  I am just pissed because I wanted some quality hot tub time today and even with the huge gazebo we hired the rain is still soaking the mats around the tub.

Ooo! Hot tub! Nice..though I would say it'll maybe get out later on? Usually does eh..hope you guys get to enjoy anyway :) hope everything's good with you.

11 minutes ago, Natassja said:

Ooo! Hot tub! Nice..though I would say it'll maybe get out later on? Usually does eh..hope you guys get to enjoy anyway :) hope everything's good with you.

We have had it a couple of days on hire and have it until Sunday night so will be in use later I am sure.  All good here thanks mate, hope all good with you and yours?

On 7/2/2021 at 10:23 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

And snow? Hate shoveling it if I have to get out, but I would never want to live somewhere that didn't have cold winters. Love the cold, hate the heat. I would be very happy if it never ever went above 70°F.

Same. I'm fine with cold weather, high temps fry my brain. Mid 50s through mid 60s is my favorite unless I'm at the beach. I loved snow when I was a kid, and I like it a whole lot better again now that I don't have to work in it and walk through it to get everywhere.

On my mind - it looks like the gallery I mentioned has already sold one of my paintings, which is super cool although I'll really miss having the piece around. Offsetting that, my recording gear is crapping out. I guess it's good that it's happening right now, since I can kind of afford to replace it. Currently trying to get past my sticker shock and annoyance so I can feel hyped about a few decent pieces of equipment that ought to be arriving soon.

I need to get off mine and clean up my office. It's making it hard to get to my work computer, it's making it hard getting to the tools and stuff I need, but given it's needed tidying since last years lockdowns when everything just got dumped I can't see too much happening quickly.

It would appear our Government has had a change of heart in regard to the covid situation. Our restrictions are easing but the infections still are rising. I suppose that the vaccinations seem to be working as hospital admissions don't seem to be as high. Which is of course good. I suppose that we have to learn to live with the virus and use common sense to keep ourselves safe. I suppose the government has come to this conclusion. Can't live life in on off lockdowns. Mask wearing will be left to the individuals choice so it seems. I'll still wear one in shops etc. Concerns me that some people seem to not care. Maybe they're just selfish. Someone actually said to me a few weeks ago "why have you got a mask on? It's gone now" 😕 but I  came to the conclusion that he was just plain stupid.

8 hours ago, Natassja said:

It would appear our Government has had a change of heart in regard to the covid situation. Our restrictions are easing but the infections still are rising. I suppose that the vaccinations seem to be working as hospital admissions don't seem to be as high. Which is of course good. I suppose that we have to learn to live with the virus and use common sense to keep ourselves safe. I suppose the government has come to this conclusion. Can't live life in on off lockdowns. Mask wearing will be left to the individuals choice so it seems. I'll still wear one in shops etc. Concerns me that some people seem to not care. Maybe they're just selfish. Someone actually said to me a few weeks ago "why have you got a mask on? It's gone now" 😕 but I  came to the conclusion that he was just plain stupid.

I actually bought more masks recently, ones that cover my beard too.  Boris and co are relying on herd immunity which is great unless you have asthma or some other ongoing condition that affects you already.  It just feels like a massive gamble and one that I am by proxy caught up in.  I will probably never go back to life of old, humans are dirty, germ/virus-riddled sacks on frames and always have been so any excuse to spend less physical time with people I am all for it.  Gonna carry on getting supplies delivered to us and just limit crowd exposure.  As you say far too many fucking idiots out there who lack the adaptability to entertain any change to their lives and precious fucking routines even if it is to control a pandemic.

3 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

I actually bought more masks recently, ones that cover my beard too.  Boris and co are relying on herd immunity which is great unless you have asthma or some other ongoing condition that affects you already.  It just feels like a massive gamble and one that I am by proxy caught up in.  I will probably never go back to life of old, humans are dirty, germ/virus-riddled sacks on frames and always have been so any excuse to spend less physical time with people I am all for it.  Gonna carry on getting supplies delivered to us and just limit crowd exposure.  As you say far too many fucking idiots out there who lack the adaptability to entertain any change to their lives and precious fucking routines even if it is to control a pandemic.

Yes, I completely agree and I will be doing the same! 

3 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

I had to buy some of those long beard covering masks, Covid has ruined the last 18 months but it will not ruin my beard. 

This country doesn't even have a plan. Last week they came out with a 4 stage 'path out of covid' and every step still starts with "Step X Measures may include". We have just been lucky to get this far, our government has been terrible at handling this shit when the pressure is on.

For all the talk of international cooperation it is rather sad we haven’t been able to come together as a global community and distribute the vaccine more efficiently.  I personally I’m looking forward to the day we finally have things under control globally so I can actually undertake all the travel plans I had arranged. 

On 7/9/2021 at 7:01 AM, KillaKukumba said:

This country doesn't even have a plan. Last week they came out with a 4 stage 'path out of covid' and every step still starts with "Step X Measures may include". We have just been lucky to get this far, our government has been terrible at handling this shit when the pressure is on.

They are a gang of second rate chancers.  They and theirs are vaccinated and their donors are still doing fine and they still have their snouts in the trough, so all good.

Here's a press release to keep the plebs happy...

They aren't even the best of a bad lot because the other morons would be just as terrible. They'd have made the same screw ups and they'd have spent the same 18 months fighting with themselves and their opposition, they'd have just done it all in a different way. None of the leaders here have the balls to stand up for the country, all they give a shit about is what makes them look better at the next election and how much they can scrape of the top without someone finding out.

That said I'm fully vaccinated and all my family is fully vaccinated (except the kids) and the roll out of the vaccine for us hasn't even had a hiccup.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Fraser said:

It is too fucking hot. Roll on Autumn & Winter. 

From Monday I’ve 3-4 weeks of work up on a roof (most of which is painted in solar reflective paint), not looking forward to it! Although, it does look like the temperature drops slightly over the weekend.

17 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Roof work in the summer is misery, hope you can stay cool.

I’ll be drinking plenty of water an applying loads of sunscreen.

Probably the worst part is the awful tan lines!! Depending on the suns position, I’ll be wearing sunglasses, at certain times wearing gloves and a harness when needing to use using work positioning ropes. I bought myself some steel toe cap safety trainers to wear instead of work boots, that should help me avoid looking like I’m constantly wearing white socks!😆