What's on your mind?

Apoc

59 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Well, it wasn’t but it certainly is now. I’d forgotten about Lovecraft. 

It was actually more that I really like New England from what I’ve seen of it on those real estate shows where families want to move to the coast and they look at a few different places. They always seem to be in New England. I also really like the historical aspect of the region. 

Plus I think they call hamburgers ‘steamed hams’. 

I’ve never heard hamburgers called “steamed hams” but you will hear ground beef called hamberg here in Maine, and it is a quaint Mainerism to say unthaw instead of thaw out, so a real Mainer might unthaw some hamberg for dinner. For a true old school Mainer dinner is the midday meal and one eats supper in the evening.

15 minutes ago, GorboGorboze said:

I’ve never heard hamburgers called “steamed hams” but you will hear ground beef called hamberg here in Maine, and it is a quaint Mainerism to say unthaw instead of thaw out, so a real Mainer might unthaw some hamberg for dinner. For a true old school Mainer dinner is the midday meal and one eats supper in the evening.

The steamed hams thing is a joke from The Simpsons. As Superintendent Chalmers points out, no one calls them that. 

Weird that they would apply a negative prefix to ‘thaw’ to make it unthaw when they mean thaw. I’m going to tell my wife tonight that I’m undrunk. See if she buys it. 

Off to my grandmother's 93rd birthday party shortly.  Big number to celebrate but extra worth doing so due to the fact that 2 weeks ago she had a stroke and near lost total use of her right arm.  After a superb recovery she is getting her gladrags on for a few sherries this afternoon. 

In other less positive news my car has died and I am now looking at leasing options as just don't need the high monthly costs of financing a new one or the upfront cash to buy outright with a wedding to pay for.  Fuck being a grown up!

On 8/9/2019 at 7:10 AM, GorboGorboze said:

I don’t know why the forum wanted to publish The above again, and I don’t know why I allowed it.

anyway here is Gorbo’s top five regrettable things about FA’s vacation, with apologies for criticisms about a family vacation which I hope the Alabasters enjoyed immensely...

1) They were, as per usual, surrounded by Massholes.

2) They couldn’t go to the Farnsworth museum, that’s in Rockport ME.

3) they couldn’t reenact scenes from the movie “In the Bedroom” on location.

4) The couldn’t go to Cafe Zoot for coffee drinks, Zoot is in nearby Camden ME and is a fully exceptional world class coffee shop.

5) They didn’t get to hang out with Gorbo, who works in Rockport Me area.

3.5 of these things sound truly regrettable to have missed, not least Gorbo and world-class coffee, but also Wyeth family paintings. I visited the Brandywine museum years ago and I'd love to see more of their work in person. Rockport, ME is officially on the list.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:42 AM, Requiem said:

The eternal problem of the hospitality business. They need customers, but customers ruin their stuff. It's a complex paradox that has yet to be resolved by the global hotel consortiums. 

Your holidays sounds pretty cool though, I have to admit. 

Requiem's Top 5 Elements of FA's Holiday

5. Ice cream

4. Walks on beaches

3. Swimming

2. Seafood

1. New England

We were good! We were quiet as churchmice and didn't ruin anything. We even found and disposed of a roll of surgical tape that had been left by the previous occupants. I'd take me as a guest anywhere.

Ok, not really anywhere.

The bottom four of these are my top four, in slightly different order. We also saw taffy being stretched and cut by machines at an old school candy shop, which was mesmerizing. So much so that we somehow wound up purchasing about two pounds of taffy over the course of our short stay. We're highly suggestible.

9 hours ago, Requiem said:

Well, it wasn’t but it certainly is now. I’d forgotten about Lovecraft. 

It was actually more that I really like New England from what I’ve seen of it on those real estate shows where families want to move to the coast and they look at a few different places. They always seem to be in New England. I also really like the historical aspect of the region. 

Plus I think they call hamburgers ‘steamed hams’. 

That's cool. Sorry to tell you, but I'm a born and raised New Englander and I've never heard the term "steamed hams." But one oddity of language here is that we tend to use the word "wicked" to mean "very." This is not done (as far as I have heard) in the rest of the U.S. However, I've heard "wicked" is used this way in England, don't know about Australia.

Edit: Ooops, I didn't see the posts above that already addressed the "Steamed Hams" issue. 

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

The bottom four of these are my top four, in slightly different order. We also saw taffy being stretched and cut by machines at an old school candy shop, which was mesmerizing. So much so that we somehow wound up purchasing about two pounds of taffy over the course of our short stay. We're highly suggestible.

I love watching taffy be stretched, and it smells so good too.

5 hours ago, Parker said:

That's cool. Sorry to tell you, but I'm a born and raised New Englander and I've never heard the term "steamed hams." But one oddity of language here is that we tend to use the word "wicked" to mean "very." This is not done (as far as I have heard) in the rest of the U.S. However, I've heard "wicked" is used this way in England, don't know about Australia.

Edit: Ooops, I didn't see the posts above that already addressed the "Steamed Hams" issue. 

Hey Parker, you got any of them top cut buns down your way?

5 hours ago, Parker said:

Hey Parker, you got any of them top cut buns down your way?

https://images.app.goo.gl/PVWsKUT6qNNBywFFA

What’s with the double posting all the time? It’s embarrassing.

Well I had a bit of an anxiety attack today, wow depression and anxiety just how fucked in the head am I?, when my boss said tomorrow we need to talk about some things she's not totally happy with Some of it is a lack of communication on their end, a lot is my inexperience in the workplace, and I'm hoping none of it is to do with the quality of my work. Also hoping I don't get fired because even if I'm not working as many hours as I'd like the job is still good for me andis helping me slowly fix my dire financial situation. Worst thing is I'm not sure if all this stress and worry is just the anxiety or if it's actually warranted.

Thinking, not for the first time, that I might need to see a therapist or something because this constant stressing over anything that goes even slightly wrong can't be good for me.

Oh I really just love my job, I especially love it when they dump a huge project on me, say it has to be completed withint 24 hours, inform you it's over 12 hours worth of work and by the way we're paying you for eight of those and cap it off by saying if it's not in our hands by 12pm we're not paying you at all. Can you tell I've been awake for 24 hours now?

11 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Oh I really just love my job, I especially love it when they dump a huge project on me, say it has to be completed withint 24 hours, inform you it's over 12 hours worth of work and by the way we're paying you for eight of those and cap it off by saying if it's not in our hands by 12pm we're not paying you at all. Can you tell I've been awake for 24 hours now?

Nearly sure there are laws against that.  

Well since I'm only a casual there's nothing to protect me if they decide to fire me. As for the only paying me for eight hours it's because of hours which I apparently owe them though I was sure I'd made all of those up with the last big project they gave me. So yeah I really hate this and want to quit but need the income.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:38 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Well since I'm only a casual there's nothing to protect me if they decide to fire me. As for the only paying me for eight hours it's because of hours which I apparently owe them though I was sure I'd made all of those up with the last big project they gave me. So yeah I really hate this and want to quit but need the income.

Jeez, you just got a job and now you’re complaining. Knuckle down and get it done. Show them what you’re made of. Stand up and be a man. You’re not a victim of employment, you’re a winner. Show them why the best thing they did all year was hire you. Don’t back down into fear and doubt. Fight! 

On my mind right now is the Ashes. I hope England can claw this back but they’re up against the greatest batsman in world.

Hail the great Steve Smith. Back from disgrace and ruling the world.

@Requiem I stay sober at work. Could be that I show up hungover though.

However, I think I was not sober 1 day at school the last few years I had. Funnily enough the teachers tried to grade me according to my motivation and how much they liked me (was not too popular, though I never rebelled, sabotaged or acted out in class). Even more funny, in the finals I was the best of the whole year with almost straight A's. I also hope I understood the word 'pints' correctly because if not my whole post would be pointless.

Man, the town I'm in feels empty to me right now. The best place in town just closed up permanently, and it's truly irreplaceable as a venue and social hub. A couple other good businesses run by good people have either closed or moved, a few others cut their hours, and a couple of friends moved out of the state... All in the past three or four weeks! Bummer. More incentive to stay home and work on paintings and practice playing my instruments, I suppose.