What's on your mind?

Apoc

29 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

At present (over the last month) I ban/restrict at least 2 newbies a week for violation of promotion rules.  The compliant ones usually say hello because they feel obliged to before going into the Promo thread for the real reason they are here.

My solution is to move the Promo section above the intro section but only @dilatedmind can approve and actually do this and he is a busy chap with other projects.  I think that moving it would benefit both the promo seekers and the community at large.

We've been talking about that for years, and I agree. Band/promo introductions and personal introductions should be separate, clearly labeled, and both at the top in the Go Here First section. Might even make sense to have separate promo forums for bands and other ventures (blog websites, YouTube channels, etc).

On 7/31/2019 at 11:49 AM, Depraved said:

Exactly. And even when I'm not at work, it's like I have to live my life by a much stricter set of rules than everyone else. People are allowed to scream at me, swear at me, call me names, tell me I deserve to get shot, physically intimidate me, over the most trivial bullshit, but god forbid if in my daily life something legitimate makes me upset to the point I make it known I am upset, if I raise my voice just a little, over someone harassing me in public, for example - oh, well then I am WAY out of line and just a crazy psycho bitch. It's like I'm not allowed to have any feelings whatsoever, but everyone else is allowed to have extreme emotions and behaviors. It's such a fucking double standard. Coworkers tell me "oh, you don't know what they might be dealing with in their personal life", as if that's an excuse for their behavior. I HAVE CHRONIC DEPRESSION AND PTSD BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN SHIT ON BY PEOPLE MY ENTIRE LIFE AND I STILL MAKE IT A POINT TO TREAT EVERYONE WITH A BASIC AMOUNT OF CIVILITY AND RESPECT. Even if I hate their fucking guts and want nothing to do with them. You can't honestly tell me, that someone is facing so much more hardship than I am, which could justify their disgusting behavior. 

Thank you. What bothers me most I guess is that I try so hard not to let it get to me, but my nervous system seems to somehow know when there is or could be an imminent threat to my safety and goes into a spontaneous, out of control fight or flight response. I have learned, time and time again, that yelling almost always precedes physical violence. People have stopped at nothing to physically attack me (not really at work, although I have had things thrown at me). But the fact that physical attack and bodily injury is very possible, frightens the hell out of me. I weigh 90 lbs. I fucking hate it. I've been trying to build upper body strength but it's like my frame just wasn't built that way. People attack me and seem to have zero fear of repercussions because in the past, every time it's happened, they just tell the authorities I did something to deserve it, or if they don't leave a mark, that I'm lying and made it up to ruin their lives or something, and the authorities always believe them. Yes there are cameras, but they'll just claim I said something to threaten them or antagonize them and they were acting in self-defense or something. And the authorities will still believe them. 

Wow, what type of customer service are you involved in that people throw things at you, scream at you, demean you? And people attack you in front of cameras regularly and get away with it?

I mean, that’s generally how I treat customer service people, but I thought I was in the minority. 

Seriously though, maybe you should get a customer service job in another venue, or country... 

On 8/2/2019 at 1:57 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

We've been talking about that for years, and I agree. Band/promo introductions and personal introductions should be separate, clearly labeled, and both at the top in the Go Here First section. Might even make sense to have separate promo forums for bands and other ventures (blog websites, YouTube channels, etc).

It sucks that the Promotions forum exists in line with the rest of this site, because it has nothing to do with regular users promoting their projects, which would be fine; it’s just spammers and advertising.

It’s like an entirely separate thing, except it gets caught up in the ‘Unread Content’ polluting that function, which is annoying. 

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

It sucks that the Promotions forum exists in line with the rest of this site, because it has nothing to do with regular users promoting their projects, which would be fine; it’s just spammers and advertising.

It’s like an entirely separate thing, except it gets caught up in the ‘Unread Content’ polluting that function, which is annoying. 

As a user, I feel the same way, but people are going to promote. If they didn't have the dedicated section, they'd just jam up all of the conversation threads. That was a major problem here years ago and it's why we're sticklers about it now. The really egregious attention-seeking gets annoying, but for the most part it's background noise. 

Being a part of a community like this takes some investment. It's not for everyone. On the one hand I'm annoyed by the constant need to chase people down and get their posts into the right section because they can't be bothered to spend five minutes reading the rules and getting the lay of the land. On the other, I can't fault them for not having the time or inclination to make themselves a part of things. At least they usually hit the road quickly instead of lingering. 

26 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

As a user, I feel the same way, but people are going to promote. If they didn't have the dedicated section, they'd just jam up all of the conversation threads. That was a major problem here years ago and it's why we're sticklers about it now. The really egregious attention-seeking gets annoying, but for the most part it's background noise. 

Being a part of a community like this takes some investment. It's not for everyone. On the one hand I'm annoyed by the constant need to chase people down and get their posts into the right section because they can't be bothered to spend five minutes reading the rules and getting the lay of the land. On the other, I can't fault them for not having the time or inclination to make themselves a part of things. At least they usually hit the road quickly instead of lingering. 

Sensible. And in my quiet moments I agree. 

But isn’t it a sign of the times. Gen Y seeking an instant fame fix through the internet with little regard for anything beyond themselves. 

Oh well. Whatever will be will be... 

1 hour ago, GorboGorboze said:

I really enjoy watching Banger TV on YouTube. Does anyone else care for that Chanel as well?

It is incredibly hit and miss I find.  I don't mind the varied tastes of the presenters (I just skip the metalcore, deathcore, nu metal reviews) per sé but one or two of them do grate on me.  I think it lacks professionalism when they try and do one of the "lock horns" things as even Sam Dunn lacks authenticity when trying to front a serious metal debate.  I enjoy it enough but it doesn't bring anything new to the table for me in terms of discoveries or revisits of old albums.

1 hour ago, MacabreEternal said:

It is incredibly hit and miss I find.  I don't mind the varied tastes of the presenters (I just skip the metalcore, deathcore, nu metal reviews) per sé but one or two of them do grate on me.  I think it lacks professionalism when they try and do one of the "lock horns" things as even Sam Dunn lacks authenticity when trying to front a serious metal debate.  I enjoy it enough but it doesn't bring anything new to the table for me in terms of discoveries or revisits of old albums.

Yeah, I can dig that, except I really like the lock horns bits and they help me check out genres to a large degree. I liked their thrash lock horns and their nwobhm one and got my field broadened by them a bit. It seems Sam Dunn sets the tone for a lot of the channel even when not on screen, so if you don’t take the dude seriously you’re not apt to appreciate BangerTV in general.

I looked at the forums and couldn't find one for technical problems, so sorry if this is in the wrong place. I want to change my avatar, but I just can not figure out how. I looked all around, and can't find any button in the profile page for this. Mind you, I'm kind of a computer 'tard, so sorry about this. Thanks for any help anyone could provide.

52 minutes ago, Parker said:

I looked at the forums and couldn't find one for technical problems, so sorry if this is in the wrong place. I want to change my avatar, but I just can not figure out how. I looked all around, and can't find any button in the profile page for this. Mind you, I'm kind of a computer 'tard, so sorry about this. Thanks for any help anyone could provide.

Usually this kind of thing gets posted in "Improve Your Forum", but it's all good. When viewing your profile, there should be a little rectangular icon either in the bottom left of the avatar image (on a computer) or off to the left of it, in the cover image field (on mobile). If you click on that it should open up a dialog box that will let you choose or upload a new image.

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Usually this kind of thing gets posted in "Improve Your Forum", but it's all good. When viewing your profile, there should be a little rectangular icon either in the bottom left of the avatar image (on a computer) or off to the left of it, in the cover image field (on mobile). If you click on that it should open up a dialog box that will let you choose or upload a new image.

Thank you so  much. The name "Improve Your Forum," is somewhat ambiguous, but now I know to use it in the future, so thank you for that as well. I felt it was time to change the avatar, and I love gnomes.

I was in a store the other day and some dude complemented me on my gnome tattoo. I thanked him and said I hadn't seen anyone else with a gnome tattoo. He said, "yeah, not many people know about the gnomes. That statement seemed odd, especially the word, "the," in front of the word, "gnomes." As I pondered this, I noticed his tattoos. On one arm was an amateur tat that said, "Slip Knot," on the other arm was an amateur hartagram. Then he said some nonsense word, and I said, "what?" I can't remember what the nonsense word was, but he said that gnomes use it in their language for both, hello and goodbye. I said, "O.K" I was beginning to feel uneasy, and was glad when I was at the head of the line and could make my purchase and leave. As I left, I told him to have a nice day. He responded with the nonsense word. And so it goes . . .

On 8/4/2019 at 11:21 PM, MacabreEternal said:

Wedding date set of 30th Oct 2020 and a venue chosen that won't break the bank.  

Firstly, congratulations and more importantly, can you invite me so that I can get off this barren colonial rock? I'm begging you...

On 8/5/2019 at 6:12 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

Vacation time! It's only a couple of days but I'll take it. Time to hit the beach.

Where are you going for your vacation? What are you going to do when you get there? Is it child friendly? 

Can't believe forum users let these two gem posts go through to the keeper (cricket metaphor, FA). 

5 hours ago, Parker said:

Thank you so  much. The name "Improve Your Forum," is somewhat ambiguous, but now I know to use it in the future, so thank you for that as well. I felt it was time to change the avatar, and I love gnomes.

I was in a store the other day and some dude complemented me on my gnome tattoo. I thanked him and said I hadn't seen anyone else with a gnome tattoo. He said, "yeah, not many people know about the gnomes. That statement seemed odd, especially the word, "the," in front of the word, "gnomes." As I pondered this, I noticed his tattoos. On one arm was an amateur tat that said, "Slip Knot," on the other arm was an amateur hartagram. Then he said some nonsense word, and I said, "what?" I can't remember what the nonsense word was, but he said that gnomes use it in their language for both, hello and goodbye. I said, "O.K" I was beginning to feel uneasy, and was glad when I was at the head of the line and could make my purchase and leave. As I left, I told him to have a nice day. He responded with the nonsense word. And so it goes . . .

When I was little, we moved around a lot. My parents would try to make it fun for me by putting a little present in my new room as a surprise when I first got there. They always told me the gnomes did it. Once I got older and knew better, the gnomes stopped coming around. Sounds like they found this guy instead.

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

Where are you going for your vacation? What are you going to do when you get there? Is it child friendly? 

We went to Rockport, Massachusetts, a little tourist town on the New England coast -- not to be confused with Rockport, Maine, a little tourist town on the New England coast. Seafood, candy, ice cream, swimming, walks on beaches, purchases of trinkets. Very kid friendly, aside from the owner of the place we were staying, who seemed pretty worried that young Alabaster would grind food into the rugs and set the furniture on fire and turn the place into a lunatic asylum. It's almost like he knows us.

On 8/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

When I was little, we moved around a lot. My parents would try to make it fun for me by putting a little present in my new room as a surprise when I first got there. They always told me the gnomes did it. Once I got older and knew better, the gnomes stopped coming around. Sounds like they found this guy instead.

We went to Rockport, Massachusetts, a little tourist town on the New England coast -- not to be confused with Rockport, Maine, a little tourist town on the New England coast. Seafood, candy, ice cream, swimming, walks on beaches, purchases of trinkets. Very kid friendly, aside from the owner of the place we were staying, who seemed pretty worried that young Alabaster would grind food into the rugs and set the furniture on fire and turn the place into a lunatic asylum. It's almost like he knows us.

The eternal problem of the hospitality business. They need customers, but customers ruin their stuff. It's a complex paradox that has yet to be resolved by the global hotel consortiums. 

Your holidays sounds pretty cool though, I have to admit. 

Requiem's Top 5 Elements of FA's Holiday

5. Ice cream

4. Walks on beaches

3. Swimming

2. Seafood

1. New England

I don’t know why the forum wanted to publish The above again, and I don’t know why I allowed it.

anyway here is Gorbo’s top five regrettable things about FA’s vacation, with apologies for criticisms about a family vacation which I hope the Alabasters enjoyed immensely...

1) They were, as per usual, surrounded by Massholes.

2) They couldn’t go to the Farnsworth museum, that’s in Rockport ME.

3) they couldn’t reenact scenes from the movie “In the Bedroom” on location.

4) The couldn’t go to Cafe Zoot for coffee drinks, Zoot is in nearby Camden ME and is a fully exceptional world class coffee shop.

5) They didn’t get to hang out with Gorbo, who works in Rockport Me area.

@Requiem I'm curious, what's your particular interest in New England? Is it the Lovecraft thing?

@GorboGorboze Do you mention the Farnsworth because FA is an artist, or do you particularly dig it yourself? I think I've been there. The really cool museum in the general area IMO is the Owl's Head Transportation Museum. My brother and his wife took lessons there to drive a Model T. 

Cool, Parker, nifty to drive a model T. I think Alabaster would dig the Farnsworth, I think his art is not unlike the Wyath family art, minus the body horror aspect of FA’s style. The Farnsworth is heavily weighted towards that Family. Anyone would enjoy it though. I haven’t been to the Owls Head Transportation Museum in over week 20 years.

2 hours ago, GorboGorboze said:

Cool, Parker, nifty to drive a model T. I think Alabaster would dig the Farnsworth, I think his art is not unlike the Wyath family art, minus the body horror aspect of FA’s style. The Farnsworth is heavily weighted towards that Family. Anyone would enjoy it though. I haven’t been to the Owls Head Transportation Museum in over week 20 years.

I haven't been to Owl's Head in probably about 10 years, but I remember that it was flippin' awesome. They have a car there that used to belong to silent movie star Clara Bow:

clara-bow-9221851-1-402.jpg

403150704.jpg

As for the Wayths, I don't know much about them, but I have been to the house where Andrew Wayth painted this beautiful picture:

wyeth_christina-56a03b163df78cafdaa0962a

13 hours ago, Parker said:

@Requiem I'm curious, what's your particular interest in New England? Is it the Lovecraft thing?. 

Well, it wasn’t but it certainly is now. I’d forgotten about Lovecraft. 

It was actually more that I really like New England from what I’ve seen of it on those real estate shows where families want to move to the coast and they look at a few different places. They always seem to be in New England. I also really like the historical aspect of the region. 

Plus I think they call hamburgers ‘steamed hams’.