What's on your mind?

Apoc

Is this a metal forum thread or Requiem’s private blog? Tasmanian Odyssey Continues:

Currently sitting on the deck of the cottage near the Port Arthur historic site, looking down the lawn to the secluded bay below. Just an amazing place beyond my wildest dreams. All I can hear are birds. 

Tomorrow we tour the historical site including a cruise to the Isle of the Dead where the convicts and guards were buried, then at night I’m doing the ghost tour. 

But for now, I sip some scotch and gaze across the lawn to the water and the forest over the bay and think of how this once terrible place has now become the epitome of tranquil beauty. 

Hail Port Arthur. Hail Metal. 666.

Oy. Well, it looks like we're somewhat unexpectedly moving house at the end of the month. It's a good thing - we've been looking for a larger place, and another apartment in our building just opened up, so pretty much all we'll need to do to is carry our stuff upstairs. No truck rental, not much disruption in our routine. And yet I dread the process...

14 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Oy. Well, it looks like we're somewhat unexpectedly moving house at the end of the month. It's a good thing - we've been looking for a larger place, and another apartment in our building just opened up, so pretty much all we'll need to do to is carry our stuff upstairs. No truck rental, not much disruption in our routine. And yet I dread the process...

Currently having to look for somewhere ourselves as the landlord is selling although we had decided to move regardless due to the poor boiler causing hassle through winter.  I feel your dread although glad your move is a tad easier than the norm.

4 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Currently having to look for somewhere ourselves as the landlord is selling although we had decided to move regardless due to the poor boiler causing hassle through winter.  I feel your dread although glad your move is a tad easier than the norm.

That sucks, didn't the landlord at your last place decide to sell as well? Moving's never fun - saying goodbye to your garden, silencing the old neighbors without arousing suspicion, digging a new lime pit...

It's going to be one of the easier moves I've had, although getting our furniture up to the third floor will suck. It's just bad timing for me -- there's already a lot of personal and "professional" stuff going on this month without needing the extra hassle of moving stuff and cleaning up the old place and setting up the new place. I'm beginning to envy barnacles, they don't know how good they have it.

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

That sucks, didn't the landlord at your last place decide to sell as well? Moving's never fun - saying goodbye to your garden, silencing the old neighbors without arousing suspicion, digging a new lime pit...

It's going to be one of the easier moves I've had, although getting our furniture up to the third floor will suck. It's just bad timing for me -- there's already a lot of personal and "professional" stuff going on this month without needing the extra hassle of moving stuff and cleaning up the old place and setting up the new place. I'm beginning to envy barnacles, they don't know how good they have it.

Last 3 landlords have sold up.  This one knows once Brexit is done his house will be worth £2.50.  New feasting ground will be nice.

4 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Last 3 landlords have sold up.  This one knows once Brexit is done his house will be worth £2.50.  New feasting ground will be nice.

Ugh. Maybe you'll be set up to jump on something when it's a buyer's market? I hope the new space works for us until we're able to afford a house, that's the end goal but it's a few years off.

14 hours ago, Balor said:

There are some tours like that near to where I live.  I always wanted to attend one, but they always start too late at night.

Are there any interesting stops on your tour?

Too late at night? No such thing. Get out there Balers and start killing!

I’m currently at a major convict prison site and the ghost tour was a walking tour around some of the ruins by lantern light. It was amazing, so much fun. Oh yeah, and I survived. 

11 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

With prices like that I can hopefully convince the Countess to return to the old country and get off this hellish colonial rock. 

14 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Good Iuck with the move. Hopefully the extra space proves useful. 

14 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Ugh. Maybe you'll be set up to jump on something when it's a buyer's market? I hope the new space works for us until we're able to afford a house, that's the end goal but it's a few years off.

Same for us really, short of a windfall I am looking at a 5 year plan to build the capital to buy a house with a minimal mortgage (neither of us are getting any younger) and of course there's a wedding to pay for in between now and then.  Being a grown up fucking sucks!

6 hours ago, Requiem said:

Good Iuck with the move. Hopefully the extra space proves useful. 

Thanks man. The main beneficiary here will be our son -- young Alabaster needs a proper bedroom. Also, being up on the third floor will put us at more of a remove from the street, with its rich and vibrant tapestry of social dramas.

32 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Same for us really, short of a windfall I am looking at a 5 year plan to build the capital to buy a house with a minimal mortgage (neither of us are getting any younger) and of course there's a wedding to pay for in between now and then.  Being a grown up fucking sucks!

Ah, but did not the New York moonlight witness your betrothal? Were not the most hardened Battery Park beggars and deformed East River bottom feeders moved to tears by the purity of your private vows? I mean what more does she want anyway?

As far as houses go, five years is about what we're looking at too - more if property values continue to go up. Can't wait to be out from under all of our student debt, although considering it's only been fifteen years since I graduated, I suppose I should be more patient.

Really loving adulthood.

On 4/11/2019 at 11:32 PM, Requiem said:

Too late at night? No such thing. Get out there Balers and start killing!

I’m currently at a major convict prison site and the ghost tour was a walking tour around some of the ruins by lantern light. It was amazing, so much fun. Oh yeah, and I survived. 

The tour sounds cool, and the location seems really interesting.

I will have to make a plan to do one sometime.  Unfortunately for the time being my schedule forces me to be up quite early in the morning...

10 hours ago, salmonellapancake said:

Well I turn 20 today, I played my first show with my new band last night and proceeded to get fucked up out of my mind the rest of the night. It was a good one.

Happy birthday Cakey!! Hail the great man. 

What a rollercoaster. Young Alabaster kicked off his spring vacation with a bang yesterday, laying in bed for a couple of hours before puking nearly everywhere in his room and then magically feeling all better a short time afterwards. I finally got to put in the ten-hour work day I've been looking forward to. Also, we're not going through with the move right now -- we decided it made more sense to keep looking for something that's a better fit. I'm relieved; my working space would have been cut in half. I have an illustration painting to finish, another one to start, a couple others on the horizon, a group painting show that's going up at the end of the month, and the band's EP release show coming up a few weeks after that, so it's good that we're not going to toss a massive cleaning/wall painting/furniture moving bomb right into the middle of it all.

Conversely to FatherA’s move not happening, we have have done the first round of clearing out ready for our move.  Usual stuff around a wardrobe that we tried to move and if fell apart so had to be rebuilt and braced between a wall and a bed.  Then there was the mandatory trip to the refuse/recycling centre who helped me ‘dump my load’.  Similar to the above my workspace is now clear for the first time in months having freed up another cupboard to dump all our shit into so my office is my own again.  I won’t do anything as creative as Alabaster will in his space.  My language might get ‘creative’ at some point and I might draw a band logo on my notepad during a conference call but really it is not comparable.