What's on your mind?

Apoc

7 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

For the second time too.  I truly am the scorn of the enlightened.

Scorn? Quite the contrary, nothing but respect. Actually, I've heard that monastic living lends itself nicely to enlightenment. 

1 hour ago, Parker said:

Congratulations, MacabreEternal.

I'm surprised to hear about Deathstorm, never saw him post anything inappropriate. Most of his posts were just: Today was a good day, looking forward to a wrestling show.

They got to him. They. The They. He was replaced with a clone. His brain is a mindless maze of macaroni now. He only makes safe, agreeable, positively positive posts that never offend. 

12 minutes ago, GorboGorboze said:

Stopped by to say hello, hope this finds you all well. Not much on my mind except robots, dinosaurs, and sex... if my dreams are to be believed. Or tree pruning, rock&roll, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu if you go by what I spend my time doing.

Good to see you back here. Playing any bass lately, or have the robot sex dinosaurs been distracting you?

I've been playing it most days for an hour or more and have two bands meeting weekly with a third in the works.

I think the robots in my dreams represent the bass itself, and the dinosaurs the history of rock music, and sex is... no wait, the robots are my snark tuner maybe, and dinos are the band members and sex represents all the depleated 9v batteries littering the ground, or maybe the sex is the undelt with short in the battery housing slot for the active pickup.

Englishman on holiday in America watching American television for the first time.  Wow, the drugs companies got a monopoly out here.  I saw the one about the drug that stops you getting HIV “when used with safe sex practices also”.  But, get a test first to make sure you are HIV negative because we ain’t marketing cures here folks, just nonsensical prevention measures that nobody needs.  What the actual fuck?

Then there’s the tablet that can help with bowel disorders so you don’t have to be constantly in the toilet.  But, you might get cancer from taking it. Brilliant!

3 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Englishman on holiday in America watching American television for the first time.  Wow, the drugs companies got a monopoly out here.  I saw the one about the drug that stops you getting HIV “when used with safe sex practices also”.  But, get a test first to make sure you are HIV negative because we ain’t marketing cures here folks, just nonsensical prevention measures that nobody needs.  What the actual fuck?

Then there’s the tablet that can help with bowel disorders so you don’t have to be constantly in the toilet.  But, you might get cancer from taking it. Brilliant!

Just wait..,  In about six months there will be commercials for attorneys seeking people interested in filing class action lawsuits for complications arising from those same drugs.

Speaking about medications, it reminds me of my favorite Beavis & Butthead quote. Beavis was watching a commercial for diarrhea medicine and said, "Those diarrhea medicines just don't work. I took some for a whole week one time and I didn't get diarrhea once! . . . about a month later I popped a brick though . . . I still have it in my sock drawer if you wanna see."

16 hours ago, Balor said:

Just wait..,  In about six months there will be commercials for attorneys seeking people interested in filing class action lawsuits for complications arising from those same drugs.

If you're lucky you'll be able to observe this phenomenon played out in back to back commercials. 'Have you talked to your doctor about drug x...' followed by 'Have you or a loved one taken drug x and suffered serious...' 

6 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

If you're lucky you'll be able to observe this phenomenon played out in back to back commercials. 'Have you talked to your doctor about drug x...' followed by 'Have you or a loved one taken drug x and suffered serious...' 

And yet, people continue to take them...

Random transatlantic in flight entertainment saw me watch two documentaries on route back from JFK this past 24 hours. One about how theories exist that Deathrow Records had Tupac and Notorious B.I.G killed by serving LAPD officers and another by the same filmmaker on the conspiracy theory that Courtney Love had Kurt Cobain killed.  The latter one being the most ridiculous in terms of the credibility of sources, although it did underline and confirm quite nicely that Love is a fucking awful person (which I already knew).

3 hours ago, Balor said:

And yet, people continue to take them...

Take them and then later take more drugs to fix the problems caused by the initial drug. But that's social engineering and marketing at its finest. When you tell people that there is a 'proven' beneficial and therapeutic purpose to taking a drug with only the small potential of some 'side effects,' people will see the drug in a positive light because it has been framed that way. Now, if you simply told people are there are only just effects from taking a drug whether they be potentially good and/or potentially bad, people may be more likely to seriously weigh the pros and cons like any other decision they make in life. 

Herbal and/or natural remedies? Not enough research to back up those claims... because there isn't much funding/research being done, so they're just considered old wives' tales for now. Prevention is the best cure anyways.     

5 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Herbal and/or natural remedies? Not enough research to back up those claims... because there isn't much funding/research being done, so they're just considered old wives' tales for now. Prevention is the best cure anyways.     

Eating and drinking healthy along side regular exercising will get you a long way. And some herbal remedies are great for prevention... Stinging nettles for strong lungs and healthy hair, flaxseeds against artheritis and psoriasis, birch leaves against inflammation, dandelion leaves for overall health etc: all these can be part of a normal healthy diet...and well, they certainly work for me! 

But I guess since there isen't a lot of money to be made from very common greenary then nobody could be bothered to do some more medical/scientific research since almost all such research is funded by the manufactors of modern medicine: I have read that the same can be said about alternatives to penicillin. Nobody is funding new research since people are still making a profite from penicillin thus too blinded by the great mammon to think a decade or two ahead. 

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Eating and drinking healthy along side regular exercising will get you a long way. And some herbal remedies are great for prevention... Stinging nettles for strong lungs and healthy hair, flaxseeds against artheritis and psoriasis, birch leaves against inflammation, dandelion leaves for overall health etc: all these can be part of a normal healthy diet...and well, they certainly work for me! 

But I guess since there isen't a lot of money to be made from very common greenary then nobody could be bothered to do some more medical/scientific research since almost all such research is funded by the manufactors of modern medicine: I have read that the same can be said about alternatives to penicillin. Nobody is funding new research since people are still making a profite from penicillin thus too blinded by the great mammon to think a decade or two ahead. 

I completely agree. The immortal they aren't going to let their zillion dollar industry be replaced by common plants that can be grown and prepared by even the unwashed masses. I've tried many herbs before including two you mentioned: dandelion and stinging nettle root and leaves, both excellent.

On 4/1/2019 at 10:24 PM, MacabreEternal said:

Ha, you’re right. I remember those ads on Tv all the time. 

2 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I completely agree. The immortal they aren't going to let their zillion dollar industry be replaced by common plants that can be grown and prepared by even the unwashed masses. I've tried many herbs before including two you mentioned: dandelion and stinging nettle root and leaves, both excellent.

You’re all on too many herbs if you think penicillin is overrated and that eating a dandelion cures your non-existent kidney ailment. 

Hail modern medicine, but death to those US ads that thankfully have no truck on this scorched colony... yet...

4 hours ago, Requiem said:

Hail modern medicine, but death to those US ads that thankfully have no truck on this scorched colony... yet...

The march of progress stops for no one, and halts its expansion only for short times.  I wouldn't be surprised if you get the ads down there in the span of a few years.

9 hours ago, Requiem said:

Ha, you’re right. I remember those ads on Tv all the time. 

You’re all on too many herbs if you think penicillin is overrated and that eating a dandelion cures your non-existent kidney ailment. 

I do not know about Vampyrique, but my kidneys are just fine. It is not because that I am ill that I eat dandelion leaves, it is because I wish to remain healthy that I do. Dandelion leaves, birch leaves, and stinging nettle leaves are packed with vitamins, minerals, flavonoids, and fibres and are anti inflammatory... and well, then they are free, too. So why not eat free healthy food? The only two reason are that they are in abundance and that gathering an eating them is linked to an age old stigma of poverty thus no one can make a profite of them (dandelions and stinging nettles tend to grow where the hell they want). 

If you want antiseptic, then you need to go for honey... 

“Sails up, we’re leaving today. Distant lands are calling. Cowards stay at home this is the quest of true men. Farewell, shall we never see again” - Ensiferum

About to board the ship to Tasmania. Hail history in the land of the convicts and hail the pure beer from unadulterated waters. 

On 4/3/2019 at 12:24 PM, Tortuga said:

I do not know about Vampyrique, but my kidneys are just fine. It is not because that I am ill that I eat dandelion leaves, it is because I wish to remain healthy that I do. Dandelion leaves, birch leaves, and stinging nettle leaves are packed with vitamins, minerals, flavonoids, and fibres and are anti inflammatory... and well, then they are free, too. So why not eat free healthy food? The only two reason are that they are in abundance and that gathering an eating them is linked to an age old stigma of poverty thus no one can make a profite of them (dandelions and stinging nettles tend to grow where the hell they want). 

If you want antiseptic, then you need to go for honey... 

Optimization is key, herbs are definitely helpful in that regard. 

I'm sure my kidneys are fine. They get their daily exercise from heavy coffee consumption. Dandelion root tea has a bit of a coffee flavour actually, somewhat metallic though. 

Tasmanian Odyssey Continues:

Today we leave the violent and bloodied colonial streets of Hobart Town for the east coast. 

Farewell the convicts, redcoats, and rum-soaked town. Farewell the midnight trysts with buxom colonial girls in the flicker of torch lights and oil lamps, while the strains of folk music and the raucous laughter of the drunken settlers wafts through the muddied streets to hide the misery of British and Irish homesickness.

Today we return to the haunted wilderness of Tasmania, this time to commune with east coast nature-spirits and the ghosts in Port Arthur convict settlement. I can hear their misty voices already...