What's on your mind?

Apoc

1 hour ago, MaxFaust said:

OK ... now this is on my mind. 

That's a clear candidate to being the funniest fucking thing I will hear all day.

I said to the bartender, who I know really well, "What's this that's playing?"

He goes, "I'm not sure, let me check."

He walks over to the phone or whatever it is that's playing the tunes and he says, "ZZ Top."

I said, "Wow, ok. Do you like ZZ Top?"

He says, "Ah, they're alright."

I then say, "It's not really vibing for me."

The context is important in that they are usually playing Black Sabbath and early days Metallica - fairly socially acceptable metal. I hate walking in there and they're playing punk - as they're wont to do - and in this case lame rock like ZZ Top. What surprised me though is that I mistook a classic band for a newcomer ripping off classic bands. I'll take 'Heaven and Hell' and 'Four Horsemen' over whatever the hell tunes ZZ Top have any day in my "metal" pub.

So we have a domestic competition of Twenty 20 cricket on TV every night all summer here in Australia, and there are two Melbourne teams. Mine = Melbourne Stars. Others = Melbourne Renegades. 

I swear that every time I decide to watch a match it's the Renegades game on TV. It's out of hand. @RelentlessOblivion are you experiencing this too? I'm so sick of watching the Renegades!! 

Just taken Facebook off my phone and deactivated my account.  Fucking sick of it.  Brexit, foreigners are ruining the integrity of our nation, we don’t know why we voted at all, look at this video of my kids’ birthday party, this immigrant gets social welfare share if you think this is a disgrace, this person in this image I randomly copied from google is someone completely different to me share if you think this is a disgrace, I am stuck in a traffic jam and illegally using my phone to tell you all, I ate this for dinner, tomorrow is Friday YEY EVERYBODY! My life is so hard can one of my friends like the fact that I just posted a message to my dead granny because if she hadn’t died 20 years ago today she would be 105, nihilism is for communists, Instagram is for wankers, my sports team lost today so I am publicly shaming them to improve their performance next week, cat video.

9 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Just taken Facebook off my phone and deactivated my account.  Fucking sick of it.  Brexit, foreigners are ruining the integrity of our nation, we don’t know why we voted at all, look at this video of my kids’ birthday party, this immigrant gets social welfare share if you think this is a disgrace, this person in this image I randomly copied from google is someone completely different to me share if you think this is a disgrace, I am stuck in a traffic jam and illegally using my phone to tell you all, I ate this for dinner, tomorrow is Friday YEY EVERYBODY! My life is so hard can one of my friends like the fact that I just posted a message to my dead granny because if she hadn’t died 20 years ago today she would be 105, nihilism is for communists, Instagram is for wankers, my sports team lost today so I am publicly shaming them to improve their performance next week, cat video.

If it wasn't for the work I get through FB I'd probably delete mine as well.

Instagram really is for wankers though.

13 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

If it wasn't for the work I get through FB I'd probably delete mine as well.

Instagram really is for wankers though.

There's no deleting facebook - one can only deactivate one's account. I did so in early 2015 when I grew repulsed by everything, including my own bullshit. Being 'deactivated', I'm sure it will be used against me when I run for Prime Minister in 2030. Bastards. 

I actually logged on again about a year ago to see what was happening, had a cognitive seizure and deactivated again immediately, and thus it shall ever be. The amazing thing is that once it's gone I really never felt like I was missing out, although keeping track of local gigs has proven more difficult and it was good for that. 

As for what's on my mind right now, I'm having very strong feelings about the inconvenience of old age. This may stem from nearly 3 weeks with my +70 year old in-laws at their beach house, but my observations are growing ever stronger about old people's lack of real worth. I'm not advocating any mass extermination or anything, but I am starting to question society's obsession with health and longevity. It really only leads to appalling places. 

I've almost completed work on my one man band Ratatosk's second demo. When complete, I will put it on Youtube and put a link here in  the appropriate place (not trying to promote here in the wrong thread, this is just on my mind). 

As for Facebook, I f*cking HATE it. Deactivated my account over a year ago. It promotes animosity amongst people who otherwise would get along. Wish I could totally delete everything I ever wrote there, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:31 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

Nah, you can permanently delete it. It's always a tempting thought. Hard to take what's good about the site without getting sucked into the bad.

Really? Never found that button. Everything’s too complicated for everything else. 

On my mind, the Imperial Palace to myself next couple of nights and then the hordes return forevermore. Enjoy it while I can with my homie Belief. 

Also on my mind is the new Rotting Christ track ‘The Raven’ which is again way better when listened to out and about rather than when watching the lyric video. Death to lyric videos and their reign of falseness. 

34 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Had more snow overnight here and then the temperature dropped and froze it, beautiful and treacherous out there today.

We had our first real snow of the season a couple days ago, and then the temp dropped to around 0°F on Monday and froze us stiff, and between today and tomorrow it's supposed to shoot up to the mid 50s and rain. Stay drunk, weather.

1 hour ago, -Natassja- said:

Sunny here today, off walking later in the woods to collect sticks for my wreaths. Had a nice couple days off chilling, eating and listening to music.

We are off walking on the weekend, whatever the weather we have decided to go regardless.  I have a drive up to Falkirk tomorrow so hoping for some decent dry weather for that as the motorway gets more pleasing on the eye the further north you go usually.

36 minutes ago, GorboGorboze said:

It's raining cat and dogs, and the basement if filling up with water. I deployed my signature garden hose siphon though, so don't cry for me metal forum, I'll be fine. (I know how to set one up, but maybe can't spell it, siphon seems correct.)

Raining hard here, too. I just used that phrase with my son and he said "what do you mean? Dogs like water! I think maybe some cats do too."

Does anyone else feel better when they listen to black metal? Or doom metal?

I've had to confront death this week (again) with my little kitty cat passing away. These situation always drag me to a very dark place in my mind where I obsessively contemplate the existential horror of our reality, but it helps to hear that there are/were other people in the world who share (or have shared) the same perspective and thought deeply about it.

You can call me a retard or a poser or whatever. Idgaf. Just wondering if cranking "Life Eternal" or songs with similar thematic content have a calming effect on anyone else.

Or am I just a total freak??

(This might not be the appropriate thread - my bad.)

1 hour ago, Depraved said:

I've had to confront death this week (again) with my little kitty cat passing away. These situation always drag me to a very dark place in my mind where I obsessively contemplate the existential horror of our reality, but it helps to hear that there are/were other people in the world who share (or have shared) the same perspective and thought deeply about it.

You can call me a retard or a poser or whatever. Idgaf. Just wondering if cranking "Life Eternal" or songs with similar thematic content have a calming effect on anyone else.

I agree with you for sure. 

Black metal definitely makes me feel better and helps me to conquer existential terrors... at least for a while. 

It’s sonically and philosophically useful. 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:38 AM, Depraved said:

Firstly I'm really sorry about your cat passing, I was devastated when my cat passed. Music always helps me also with my anxiety and sometimes bleak obsessive thoughts. It's weird like I can feel it coming but I can't stop it and it's exhausting but I just have to ride it but anyway, the answer is yes, music (just so happens it is usually bm or sometimes classical) always helps to take me some place better emotionally and where I can identify.

4 hours ago, -Natassja- said:

Firstly I'm really sorry about your cat passing, I was devastated when my cat passed. Music always helps me also with my anxiety and sometimes bleak obsessive thoughts. It's weird like I can feel it coming but I can't stop it and it's exhausting but I just have to ride it but anyway, the answer is yes, music (just so happens it is usually bm or sometimes classical) always helps to take me some place better emotionally and where I can identify.

Thank you. I suppose for me it's just very cathartic to know I'm not completely alone in my thoughts. I'm constantly surrounded by delusional idiots who seem to think we're all living in a fantasy world where everything is about fun and pleasure and I can't relate to that at all. 

Last minute decision to hit the metal pub tonight with a public holiday tomorrow partly legitimising my animal behaviour. 

No sign of ZZ Top on the speakers in the bar room this time thank God; instead it’s currently old school Slayer, amd while I’m not the biggest Slayer fan, it makes sense blasting in this place. 

A band called Blunt Shovel is headlining tonight with a full roster of extreme death-thrash hellions like Naberus and Fall and Resist. @Will are you a fan? 

I don't believe this deserves its own thread but does anyone else ever read something and it reminds you of a song lyric? Usually uncommon words and the first thing that springs to mind is the song you know it from?

For example, whenever I see the word "beware", I immediately think of Death's "Spirit Crusher". And I always hear it in my mind in Chuck Schuldiner's voice too lol.

Same thing with "chasm"; Satyricon's "In The Mist By The Hills". I always "hear" it in Satyr's voice. ["OVERRR THE CHASM!!!"]

Haha just something amusing I wanted to share. This always seems to happen to me in public and I have to really fight to keep a straight face.

21 minutes ago, Depraved said:

I don't believe this deserves its own thread but does anyone else ever read something and it reminds you of a song lyric? Usually uncommon words and the first thing that springs to mind is the song you know it from?

For example, whenever I see the word "beware", I immediately think of Death's "Spirit Crusher". And I always hear it in my mind in Chuck Schuldiner's voice too lol.

Same thing with "chasm"; Satyricon's "In The Mist By The Hills". I always "hear" it in Satyr's voice. ["OVERRR THE CHASM!!!"]

Haha just something amusing I wanted to share. This always seems to happen to me in public and I have to really fight to keep a straight face.

The Satyricon quote that always pops into my head is something I heard wrong at the beginning of "Tied In Bronze Chains", where it sounds like he's saying "come play catch with me, cause I'm the accuser". "In The Mist By The Hills" is probably my favorite Satyricon tune, I actually covered it about 15 years ago.