What's on your mind?

Apoc

Sounds like a good place to list what I've been doing lately. My mental health has been a bitch, and metal alone has kept me alright through it all since I last posted. I've recovered from two crippling addictions, alcohol and cigarettes respectively. I've also better learned how to keep my shit together whilst around other humans.

I've been getting into harder and harder shit lately. My last 3 songs were Chainsaw Gutsfuck - Mayhem, Stormblast - Dimmu Borgir, and I Cum Blood - Cannibal Corpse.

Also been into doom metal, like Sun 0))) and Electric Wizard. What I'm saying is I've been taking in all the metal, and it's kept me sane.

Stoned thoughts:

I very occasionally feel insecure about my own metal knowledge around other metalheads. Like, I know more metal than quite literally anybody else in my town, the bunch of normies, but when I branch out I'll run into people who are pretty much walking metal encyclopedias, and I'm just like, how did you find the time, man? Should I learn from you, or be ashamed of myself?

6 hours ago, MisterAsmodeus said:

Stoned thoughts:

I very occasionally feel insecure about my own metal knowledge around other metalheads. Like, I know more metal than quite literally anybody else in my town, the bunch of normies, but when I branch out I'll run into people who are pretty much walking metal encyclopedias, and I'm just like, how did you find the time, man? Should I learn from you, or be ashamed of myself?

All of the really knowledgeable metalheads I know are big nerds. They're usually happy to talk about music until your ear falls off, and they enjoy the opportunity to turn people on to things they haven't heard. Nothing to be afraid of.

On 11/26/2018 at 11:04 PM, Will said:

Unfortunately I'm pretty busy over the next couple of weeks and getting home too far after midnight is pretty difficult for me. Also, I've already seen them this year and will likely see them at Blaze festival next year in Ballarat.

Too bad. It's an 11 minute bus ride from my house to the venue. I might head down but I'm not sure yet. I love the venue though and head over whenever I can. 

I had a minor rant in the Now Playing thread about touring bands' ticket prizes here in Australia. 

The good news is we're getting a great run of world class metal bands playing in my city. 

The bad news is, tickets are between $60-$90 a time. Here are some shows coming up in the next month or so except Dimmu which has just been: 

Emperor = $85

Dimmu Borgir = $88

At the Gates = $87

Watain = $60

Alestorm = $66!! 

Kamelot = $77 (unless you want a Meet and Greet to these heroes of mediocrity, which will set you back a cool $190!!). 

I know it is a lose/lose situation for metal bands to tour Australia by the time they've paid airfares, accommodation and all the other expenses they no doubt incur. But it's getting out of hand for the average punter. Just a couple of years ago I reckon prices were at about 60% of the current fees. Of course, the market dictates everything and these shows will probably sell out (and I'll be at most of them!), so that's fine, but don't think I haven't noticed the jump in prices. 

This year's just been a drag. I honestly can't wait for it to be over. Between getting strung along for months by a dodgy employment agency, struggling to even find work experience let alone actual work, and the mounting stress over my dwindling finances it's fortunate I haven't had a complete breakdown.

9 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

You said that you had a housing voucher or a waiver or something, right? Is there some specific reason that you want to move out?

Yeah just that the program I went for disability housing hasn’t come back to me  and my supports  hasn’t been returning my phone calls  my parents are getting old  I need to live if my own 

6 minutes ago, deathstorm said:

Yeah just that the program I went for disability housing hasn’t come back to me  and my supports  hasn’t been returning my phone calls  my parents are getting old  I need to live if my own 

I feel that mate. Sometimes those agencies aren't particularly helpful. I think we all strive to make our own way and I hope it goes well for you.

Immortal vampire children had gymnastics and we backed it up with fish n chips at the swimming pool, so they’re now swimming. All this on a Thursday afternoon. Feels like summer holidays already. 

I’m the only person at the swimming pool with a Keep of Kalessin shirt. Hail the Armada 666.

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

Immortal vampire children had gymnastics and we backed it up with fish n chips at the swimming pool, so they’re now swimming. All this on a Thursday afternoon. Feels like summer holidays already. 

I’m the only person at the swimming pool with a Keep of Kalessin shirt. Hail the Armada 666.

I wish I had an easier way to get my son out of the house. We share one vehicle, which my wife uses for work, so he and I are frequently housebound (especially in crappy weather) and he'll literally bounce off the walls. We're looking down the barrel of another long winter...

On 12/7/2018 at 12:03 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

But I thought vampires couldn't move across water. Now I'm confused lol.

I'm just sad I couldn't make arrangements to attend the test match. Mind you I had a better view of Khawaja's blinder on the TV.

Vampyre lore is the least of their rule breaking... They do burn up in the enemy sun though.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:13 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

I wish I had an easier way to get my son out of the house. We share one vehicle, which my wife uses for work, so he and I are frequently housebound (especially in crappy weather) and he'll literally bounce off the walls. We're looking down the barrel of another long winter...

We often wonder how snowbound regions deal with their young children in times of crisis. It must be a bloody nightmare at times. 

9 hours ago, Requiem said:

We often wonder how snowbound regions deal with their young children in times of crisis. It must be a bloody nightmare at times. 

They do a great job clearing the roads here when it snows, but they suck at dealing with the sidewalks. Walking around here in winter is the worst, we have to step out into traffic all the time just to get anywhere. The good news is, there's a great sledding hill just ten minutes from our house.

Had a catch up with a friend (former client as it happens) yesterday, we hit a micro brewery and bar near where he lives and enjoyed a 9% porter that literally coated the soul.

Today will be spent adding further patches to my vest and trying to not let this damn wheezy chest get the better of me.

If I had a soul, I'd want it coated by a 9% porter.

Really tied one on last night, I was up until 5:30 AM drinking wine and beer in various party situations including an extensive hot tub session. I awoke four hours later, a lessened and somewhat pickled version of my former self. My wife and son seem extra chipper on mornings like this past one.