What's on your mind?

Apoc

6 hours ago, Will said:

Only around half an hour but I'm still on my Learner's Permit so I'm pretty reliant on public transport which could prove problematic.

If it's something you're excited about, I hope they're willing to give it a shot. People deal with a lot worse for rehearsal - some bands I know up here have members that live several hours away from one another. How long until you get a full driver's license?

@Depraved  Thanks for the words of encouragement. I can totally relate to almost everything you said. Do you know/dig Arcturus? They have a song called "Alone" and its lyrics are a poem by the same name by Edgar Allen Poe. I really relate to the poem, perhaps you will too:

Alone

From childhood’s hour I have not been 

As others were—I have not seen 

As others saw—I could not bring 

My passions from a common spring— 

From the same source I have not taken 

My sorrow—I could not awaken 

My heart to joy at the same tone— 

And all I lov’d—I lov’d alone— 

Then—in my childhood—in the dawn 

Of a most stormy life—was drawn 

From ev’ry depth of good and ill 

The mystery which binds me still— 

From the torrent, or the fountain— 

From the red cliff of the mountain— 

From the sun that ’round me roll’d 

In its autumn tint of gold— 

From the lightning in the sky 

As it pass’d me flying by— 

From the thunder, and the storm— 

And the cloud that took the form 

(When the rest of Heaven was blue) 

Of a demon in my view—

54 minutes ago, Parker said:

@Depraved  Thanks for the words of encouragement. I can totally relate to almost everything you said. Do you know/dig Arcturus? They have a song called "Alone" and its lyrics are a poem by the same name by Edgar Allen Poe. I really relate to the poem, perhaps you will too:

Alone

From childhood’s hour I have not been 

As others were—I have not seen 

As others saw—I could not bring 

My passions from a common spring— 

From the same source I have not taken 

My sorrow—I could not awaken 

My heart to joy at the same tone— 

And all I lov’d—I lov’d alone— 

Then—in my childhood—in the dawn 

Of a most stormy life—was drawn 

From ev’ry depth of good and ill 

The mystery which binds me still— 

From the torrent, or the fountain— 

From the red cliff of the mountain— 

From the sun that ’round me roll’d 

In its autumn tint of gold— 

From the lightning in the sky 

As it pass’d me flying by— 

From the thunder, and the storm— 

And the cloud that took the form 

(When the rest of Heaven was blue) 

Of a demon in my view—

Yeah I love that poem. It's one of my favorites. I'm not all that familiar with Arcturus but I have a long list of bands/albums I want to listen to. 

On 11/1/2018 at 10:05 PM, Will said:

Good to hear, I was busy unfortunately.

The next thing I know I'll be going to Melbourne for is the next Download fest are you or @True Belief going to be at that?

I’m going, but True Belief is too nekro, vowing to eschew any corporatisation of false metal and its phoniness. At least I think that’s what he said...

It’s going to be amazing, with some great bands: Slayer, Anthrax, Behemoth, Ghost(!), and Ozzy(!!) and a whole heap of bands I’m not interested in.

I’m actually going with my oldest friend from my home town, so it’s going to be a catch-up as much as anything else. Expensive catch-up at $189!! Should be a good day though. I just have to stay sober enough to see Ozzy because I’ve never seen his solo material live before (seen him with Sabbath though). 

Glad it’s 18+ too so we don’t have to deal with children.

See you there, Will. 

On 11/3/2018 at 3:45 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

If it's something you're excited about, I hope they're willing to give it a shot. People deal with a lot worse for rehearsal - some bands I know up here have members that live several hours away from one another. How long until you get a full driver's license?

Probably a couple of months (after I've turned 21 and have had enough practice to pass the test).

6 hours ago, Requiem said:

I’m going, but True Belief is too nekro, vowing to eschew any corporatisation of false metal and its phoniness. At least I think that’s what he said...

It’s going to be amazing, with some great bands: Slayer, Anthrax, Behemoth, Ghost(!), and Ozzy(!!) and a whole heap of bands I’m not interested in.

I’m actually going with my oldest friend from my home town, so it’s going to be a catch-up as much as anything else. Expensive catch-up at $189!! Should be a good day though. I just have to stay sober enough to see Ozzy because I’ve never seen his solo material live before (seen him with Sabbath though). 

Glad it’s 18+ too so we don’t have to deal with children.

See you there, Will. 

The lineup is ridiculous, might be my last chance to see Priest, Ozzy and Slayer, not to mention there are bands yet to be announced (I've heard Megadeth rumored).

With the drinks prices there, it won't be that hard to stay soberish.

See you there.

2 hours ago, Will said:

Probably a couple of months (after I've turned 21 and have had enough practice to pass the test).

The lineup is ridiculous, might be my last chance to see Priest, Ozzy and Slayer, not to mention there are bands yet to be announced (I've heard Megadeth rumored).

With the drinks prices there, it won't be that hard to stay soberish.

See you there.

It will be hard for me to stay sober at any price!

Would be amazing if Megadeth turned up. Forgot about Judas Priest too. Amazing line-up. 

6 hours ago, -Natassja- said:

Rained like fuck here yesterday also last night there was an enormous wasp/hornet thingy trespassing in ma house. It was angry too and kinda slow flying/bumbling around. Never known it at this time of year. Perhaps it's a sign.

Yep, a sign you need to keep your windows shut.?

11 hours ago, -Natassja- said:

Rained like fuck here yesterday also last night there was an enormous wasp/hornet thingy trespassing in ma house. It was angry too and kinda slow flying/bumbling around. Never known it at this time of year. Perhaps it's a sign.

It's the 8th plague. All hail Beelzebub and Astarte! 

So here in olde Melbourne town we have a long weekend because there's a horse race on (not even joking....), so it's a night of revels and debauchery. I'm revelling. I'm debauching. 

On 11/13/2018 at 2:18 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

It's not even Thanksgiving yet, you... you... 

Ok, I admit I was actually playing some Christmas music myself the other day.

I went to my parents at the weekend and mum has the decorations up already.  I mean she’s in desperate need of cheering up but I still had to bite my tongue!

Firstly, you can’t be too early with Christmas decorations in my view. What’s the alternative... regular no decorations life? Boring. 

This is also my argument for Australians lamenting the growth of Halloween in this country as an ‘American thing’. Well, the alternative is we sit in our houses doing nothing with no alternative festival, so go ahead you boring bastards. 

Anyway I came here to commend the archduke of anarchy, @True Belief for picking up Gold Reserve tickets for us to see the mongers of merchandise KISS next year. “It ain’t a crime to be good to yourself”!! 

I went to Melted Festival on the 3rd. A local Geelong thing that started this year (headlined by Toxicon). Was a really fun night. A band that really caught me by surprise was the Northern Territory's Snakes (aggressive groove metal) (https://www.facebook.com/snakesband/) who I couldn't manage to check out before the event due to their generic name and their Facebook page being down at the time.

Got me wanting to look into the Adelaide metal scene a bit more there Will. Come to think of it I never did get around to checking out my guitar teacher's band.

Speaking of guitar I hit on a couple of killer riffs today just by messing around with parts of Katatonia's 'Without God'. I'm out all day tomorrow but Sunday I need to sit down and record part of it an octave up to see if it'll work as a harmony.

I'm starting to formulate my Top 10 Albums for 2018. It's a tricky one this year due to some of my favourite bands releasing pretty good but not great albums. I think the top three or four are locked in pretty tightly though. I've made a point of listening to a lot of albums beyond my own purchases this year so that I can get a decent sense of the 2018 landscape. Still, it's hard to put a list together without living with the full album for at least a few weeks. I always feel like I'm overlooking some classics that I just haven't let sink in.