What's on your mind?

Apoc

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Aye there be turmoil in them British Isles to be sure.

Meanwhile in paradise the sun is shining, a light breeze is blowing, birds are singing and all is well. I shouldn't make light of what's happening in the UK it does seem kind of bad, hope all our UK members are safe.

I suppose that depends on your idea of 'paradise' and yeh..you reap what you sow.. cheers anyway man.

8 hours ago, Natassja7 said:

I suppose that depends on your idea of 'paradise' and yeh..you reap what you sow.. cheers anyway man.

Hope you guys are safe natassja7 are you sure you don’t  got any abominable snowmen living causing the earthquakes joking  glad your ok  

today is my nieces big day 

Enslaved was fucking stunning last night. Even with some sound issues (Ivar's guitar cut out a bunch during Storm Son and intermittently throughout the rest of the set), they were insanely tight and focused. Almost all new stuff, Vetrarnótt from Vikingligr Veldi and Isa being the only ones that were from the last 3 albums, but I had no problem with that. Sacred Horse and 1000 Years of Rain were the highlights for me, but it was all excellent. A class act that always gives me additional reasons to be my favorite band, even though I don't need any more reasons at this point.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Enslaved was fucking stunning last night. Even with some sound issues (Ivar's guitar cut out a bunch during Storm Son and intermittently throughout the rest of the set), they were insanely tight and focused. Almost all new stuff, Vetrarnótt from Vikingligr Veldi and Isa being the only ones that were from the last 3 albums, but I had no problem with that. Sacred Horse and 1000 Years of Rain were the highlights for me, but it was all excellent. A class act that always gives me additional reasons to be my favorite band, even though I don't need any more reasons at this point.

It would have been nice to see Sacred Horse live, because it's the one song on the album that I have trouble connecting with - it feels disjointed and the lead guitars seem a bit haphazard. I bet that seeing it in person would have helped it make more sense to me. Wish I had been able to catch them, even though the rest of the ticket wasn't my thing.

First week night in a while when I can unwind and throw some darts with a rum on the desk.  Need more sleep than I am getting currently but got Visigoth to keep me going tonight.
Am I the only one that doesn't like Visigoth? I feel like I'm going crazy.

It would have been nice to see Sacred Horse live, because it's the one song on the album that I have trouble connecting with - it feels disjointed and the lead guitars seem a bit haphazard. I bet that seeing it in person would have helped it make more sense to me. Wish I had been able to catch them, even though the rest of the ticket wasn't my thing.
It's probably my favorite on E, I don't get a disjointed feeling from it at all. It's lumbering, but sharp, and I love the way it progresses to the magnificent tribal sounding ending.

48 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

It's probably my favorite on E, I don't get a disjointed feeling from it at all. It's lumbering, but sharp, and I love the way it progresses to the magnificent tribal sounding ending.

I like the atmospheric clean stuff towards the end, and the closing riff with the pick scrape is sick. I don't get into the noodling leads, and some of the parts don't articulate well with one another to my ears, but it's a minor complaint in the middle of a fantastic album. Storm Son, Axis Of The Worlds, and Hiindsiight are the ones that stand out to me the most, but there's a lot to enjoy about all of it. The background chanting on Feathers Of Eolh is fucking perfect.

I like the atmospheric clean stuff towards the end, and the closing riff with the pick scrape is sick. I don't get into the noodling leads, and some of the parts don't articulate well with one another to my ears, but it's a minor complaint in the middle of a fantastic album. Storm Son, Axis Of The Worlds, and Hiindsiight are the ones that stand out to me the most, but there's a lot to enjoy about all of it. The background chanting on Feathers Of Eolh is fucking perfect.

All of Feathers of Eolh is perfect. How many bands can pull off such a serene and mystical sounding 5/8 time signature with such finesse? They're all top shelf musicians, but Cato was a precision machine live. He made everything look so relaxed and simple, but was perfectly on time without sounding mechanical throughout the whole set. They even through in some of the best Mormon jokes I've heard in the repertoire of a touring metal band. I'm rambling and not much of that related or had any kind of flow to be a good response to your comment, but that's the way my brain is functioning right now.

12 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

All of Feathers of Eolh is perfect. How many bands can pull off such a serene and mystical sounding 5/8 time signature with such finesse? They're all top shelf musicians, but Cato was a precision machine live. He made everything look so relaxed and simple, but was perfectly on time without sounding mechanical throughout the whole set. They even through in some of the best Mormon jokes I've heard in the repertoire of a touring metal band. I'm rambling and not much of that related or had any kind of flow to be a good response to your comment, but that's the way my brain is functioning right now.

I was able to afford some beer earlier, so I'm getting there as well. It's funny, the song I've been working on for the past few weeks is mostly in 5/4 with some parts in common time and an intro in 7/8, and I heard Feathers Of Eolh and Hiindsiight and just thought, fuck, I have so much more work to do...

Another good week, culminating in 'movie night' at my eldest daughter's primary school.

The countess and her coven of coquettish crones served food and drink all night and made thousands of dollars for the school. I sat in a huge room with more children and parents than I care to think about and watched the Lego Movie, which was all but indecipherable in that context. It was fun talking to our neighbours though who also have children the same age as our kids.

Lots of young families in our area - it's a real scene. I used to be in the metal scene, now I'm in the parents-with-young-children scene. I've sold my soul!  

I was able to afford some beer earlier, so I'm getting there as well. It's funny, the song I've been working on for the past few weeks is mostly in 5/4 with some parts in common time and an intro in 7/8, and I heard Feathers Of Eolh and Hiindsiight and just thought, fuck, I have so much more work to do...
I know the feeling. The one time I jammed with Erik, I just wanted to stop playing guitar because I knew I could never reach that level. We shouldn't get discouraged because anyone can put the work in, but finding time to put that degree of work towards your playing is something that professionals have more time for, and it's hard to get there when it's just a hobby.

1 minute ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I know the feeling. The one time I jammed with Erik, I just wanted to stop playing guitar because I knew I could never reach that level. We shouldn't get discouraged because anyone can put the work in, but finding time to put that degree of work towards your playing is something that professionals have more time for, and it's hard to get there when it's just a hobby.

Truth. The only way I can play at the level I need to for my own stuff is if I spend pretty much all of my "discretionary" time on writing and practice. I also have to be willing to shut the door on my family as needed, which is difficult in several ways. I'm finally building back up a bit of my speed and accuracy after months off, but it's coming at a high price right now.

Truth. The only way I can play at the level I need to for my own stuff is if I spend pretty much all of my "discretionary" time on writing and practice. I also have to be willing to shut the door on my family as needed, which is difficult in several ways. I'm finally building back up a bit of my speed and accuracy after months off, but it's coming at a high price right now.
It's a tough compromise. It's not that you want to be separate from your family, but you need to get these ideas out of you to maintain your sanity. When you have a drive to create but no time to express it, it's easy to get anxious and frustrated. I have been trying to sequester myself more often to get some work done, but I've only made it happen once in the last month.

1 minute ago, BlutAusNerd said:

It's a tough compromise. It's not that you want to be separate from your family, but you need to get these ideas out of you to maintain your sanity. When you have a drive to create but no time to express it, it's easy to get anxious and frustrated. I have been trying to sequester myself more often to get some work done, but I've only made it happen once in the last month.

Yeah, I've ruined plenty of "quality time" with the family by being anxious and irritable because I could feel good ideas dying in my brain while I was supposed to be "having fun". That's one of the worst feelings. Thankfully I had a couple of good days recently where the ideas were flowing well, and I'm building up a stock of leftover parts that I can use as building blocks down the road. Looks like a busy weekend here though, I hope I don't lose momentum.

Yeah, I've ruined plenty of "quality time" with the family by being anxious and irritable because I could feel good ideas dying in my brain while I was supposed to be "having fun". That's one of the worst feelings. Thankfully I had a couple of good days recently where the ideas were flowing well, and I'm building up a stock of leftover parts that I can use as building blocks down the road. Looks like a busy weekend here though, I hope I don't lose momentum.
The worst part for me is that it's hard to make them understand. It's not that you don't want to be with them, but those ideas are almost like poison when they start to fester in your mind, and you have to exorcise them when they build up. It would be cool if there was a way for them to help and participate so that they don't feel left out, but they aren't into it, so it's something you have to do solo.

So the other day, my boss pulled me into the conference room and basically told me that he wants me to do less work/give more work to the other people that he has hired, and he wants to pay me more. Even seeing the paycheck after it happened on Friday, it still seems weird to me. Not sure how I feel about it, since I'm already bored, and now I'm being rewarded for doing less. Has this ever happened to anyone else? It's really confusing. One of his justifications was that the job is so big that it's hard for them to cover when I take time off, but I really don't take much time off, if any. Anyway, I have a feeling that I'm going to go stir crazy soon.

6 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

So the other day, my boss pulled me into the conference room and basically told me that he wants me to do less work/give more work to the other people that he has hired, and he wants to pay me more. Even seeing the paycheck after it happened on Friday, it still seems weird to me. Not sure how I feel about it, since I'm already bored, and now I'm being rewarded for doing less. Has this ever happened to anyone else? It's really confusing. One of his justifications was that the job is so big that it's hard for them to cover when I take time off, but I really don't take much time off, if any. Anyway, I have a feeling that I'm going to go stir crazy soon.

There's a cloud inside every silver lining isn't there. This sounds like a blessing that you should just accept and enjoy! 

^ Seconded.

A week on the road looms this coming week.  Only one night away from the gf and my cats but still one too many.  I am a great recluse and hate going out at the best of times so a week of "tits n teeth" meet and greets with clients is not my usual cup of tea at the best of times.  On the plus side only 4 weeks until we go "Monster hunting" at Loch Ness and visit castles, picturesque countryside and drink Scottish Whisky.  Interesting fact, years ago I bought the gf a piece of land in Scotland as part of wild cat conservation, this makes her a "Lady" in official title terms and we might actually take a day to find the exact patch of land out in the middle of nowhere.  Just for shits n giggles like.