What's on your mind?

Apoc

This post will have a lot of cursing and anger.

Just remembering that a friend of mine liked this status and accompanying photo. This kind of idiocy is why I wanna do African Studies, so that I can help crush this vile festering tankie shit. Fuck dictators and fuck the dipshit Westerners who support them, be they cynical conniving neocons trying to maintain an American empire or racist partisan SJWs with no ambition beyond being contrarian attention-seekers. A few years ago, wouldn't this have been dismissed as the kind of fringe nonsense spouted by a paid regime shill lurking around YouTube? The fact that these abject partisan self-appointed iconoclasts actually command some amount of respect in any credible academic circle is just nauseating, and it's one of my main reasons for wanting to get into this field and join other Africanists (for there are a fair few) in comprehensively rejecting this arrant bullshit.

Before I go nuts, let me specify that Gaddhafi did do a lot of good for Libya, particularly in ensuring parts of it became well-developed. His sheltering Chadian refugees is also to be commended. He also decided to reject his country's nuclear weapons program. For anyone who liked Gaddhafi, life was good - but then that's always the case in all but the most incompetent dictatorship.

For those of you who are joining us, Gaddhafi also ran a one-party state and held power for 40 years, making him the longest-serving despot in Africa. The man severely restricted the press and ruthlessly suppressed all opposition to his rule, including during the Arab Spring where his troops gunned down protestors in droves. This is a pretty good article that shows the rebels did their fair share of lying but which also states there were human rights abuses by government forces (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/amnesty-questions-claim-that-gaddafi-ordered-rape-as-weapon-of-war-2302037.html) - and that's just in 2011 before he got pulled out of power. Other abuses that year can be seen here (https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2012/country-chapters/libya and here https://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/hrrpt/2012humanrightsreport/index.htm#wrapper and here http://www.refworld.org/docid/4fbe392b5.html) Most heinous of all, however, is that this guy sponsored terrorism in Europe. He funded the 1986 Berlin discotheque bombing (http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/14/world/4-guilty-in-fatal-1986-berlin-disco-bombing-linked-to-libya.html) and more importantly gave weapons to the IRA (https://jamestown.org/program/libyan-state-sponsored-terrorism-an-historical-perspective/). Finally, lest anyone forget, he sponsored the Lockerbie bombing, which killed 270 people in an airplane over Scotland.

This makes me particularly angry because the guy who liked it is one of the warmest, friendliest people I've ever met. He's a smart guy too - fellow Georgetown alumnus, landed himself a Fulbright to study religious conflict in Nigeria, and is currently studying for a Masters at a divinity school in Ireland. I wonder if he knows anyone with a family member who was killed by the IRA. He likes this page and has commented on other statuses here, so I know it wasn't an accident. I still don't hate the guy; he must know better. He doesn't seem to have said anything disgusting on his own over Facebook, yet - but I have lost an immense amount of respect for him.

This whole thing really does encapsulate the heinous impact this election season had on everyone. A number of people who I'd consider largely morally upright individuals have gone so apeshit over trying to signal their uprightness and resist evil that they've become apologists for any kind of foul murderous scum as long as they're purporting to defend the common man. Well, folks, the tyrants, despots and butchers of the world are laughing their guts out at you. The kind of mirror sheen your spit polish puts on their iron fist vastly exceeds the capabilities of even their most talented governmental spin doctors. Come forward to the dais and claim your degree in useful idiocy - you graduated with fucking honors.

20 minutes ago, deathstorm said:

My cat woke me  up at 5 to get feed I was happy to do it feel back for a hour got up happy today is a great day 

Tried this with my kitten today, our bathroom is downstairs so I wake early (around 5am-6am) bursting for a pee usually, the kitten sleeps in the living room and as soon as he hears someone starts yelling the place down.  Thought I could get away with feeding him and going back to bed but he just wanted company so got up and played with him for half an hour and then he fell asleep on me.

Even to an undead necromancer like me he is absolutely fucking adorable!

31 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Tried this with my kitten today, our bathroom is downstairs so I wake early (around 5am-6am) bursting for a pee usually, the kitten sleeps in the living room and as soon as he hears someone starts yelling the place down.  Thought I could get away with feeding him and going back to bed but he just wanted company so got up and played with him for half an hour and then he fell asleep on me.

Even to an undead necromancer like me he is absolutely fucking adorable!

I know what macabre cats are great company

A trip to my gf's family today to spend an hour listening to one of them tell me how they think all mental health illness is made up by people who don't want to work.  When I challenged that is cancer made up too by "lazy" people I got the predictable "that's a proper illness though, not like schizo!"

I wish mental illness on nobody, but this fucker deserves it!

So much stupid it is fathomless.

11 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

A trip to my gf's family today to spend an hour listening to one of them tell me how they think all mental health illness is made up by people who don't want to work.  When I challenged that is cancer made up too by "lazy" people I got the predictable "that's a proper illness though, not like schizo!"

I wish mental illness on nobody, but this fucker deserves it!

So much stupid it is fathomless.

A lame ass and all too common view of people who don't understand. Mental health problems can be extremely debilitating, like you don't even wanna leave the house. Thankfully we have people who do understand and get it and we can eventually get our psyche in check, or at least be able to function semi normally day by day.  Nobody knows where I work that I am really a psychopath :D 

11 minutes ago, natassja7 said:

A lame ass and all too common view of people who don't understand. Mental health problems can be extremely debilitating, like you don't even wanna leave the house. Thankfully we have people who do understand and get it and we can eventually get our psyche in check, or at least be able to function semi normally day by day.  Nobody knows where I work that I am really a psychopath :D 

I used to work in a mental health Trust for 11.5 years.  It baffles me this level of ignorance I experienced today still exists.  Really want to take the person in question to my old hospital and sit them on one of the adult mental health wards and have them speak to the likes of the girl I met once who cut herself constantly with CD's to cope with life.

4 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

I used to work in a mental health Trust for 11.5 years.  It baffles me this level of ignorance I experienced today still exists.  Really want to take the person in question to my old hospital and sit them on one of the adult mental health wards and have them speak to the likes of the girl I met once who cut herself constantly with CD's to cope with life.

All respect for your time and work there. SH is a really tricky subject..but it is recoverable and there are ways to cope. I used to do voluntary work in mental health particularly SH after experiencing some problems myself. My heart really goes out for people troubled by this but as I say, you can work through it. Takes a long time but people can get there. Makes me sick to hear the ignorance, as it does you. I am sure you still think about that girl. Hopefully she is in a better mindset now in her life. A lot of stigma too I find about admitting and wanting help. To seek help is not a weakness.

19 hours ago, natassja7 said:

Fireworks are expensive these days :o not that I will be purchasing any. I'll have a nosey at next doors, with any luck one of his rockets will misfire into his shed and set light to it cos he is a total twat.

Ah, I see you take the @True Belief approach to neighbourhood relations. 

What's on my mind is that I just missed my best friend's birthday. Normally I send him a text, but I missed it by two hours. I just sent a sweet belated message. 

23 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Ah, I see you take the @True Belief approach to neighbourhood relations. 

What's on my mind is that I just missed my best friend's birthday. Normally I send him a text, but I missed it by two hours. I just sent a sweet belated message. 

Coincidentally, I just got a belated birthday text from my best friend earlier this morning. I forgive you on behalf of jilted birthday boys everywhere.