What's on your mind?

Apoc

47 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I think there are a lot of suspicious posts, nevertheless. So many people sign up with code looking usernames, go to the trouble of making a profile pic, post in the Intro section and are never heard from again. It's just really strange. A little too strange...

Have you got an example? I can dig more info on them and see how legit they are. I've updated the intro posts to try and make them clear that they are automated.

2 minutes ago, dilatedmind said:

Have you got an example? I can dig more info on them and see how legit they are. I've updated the intro posts to try and make them clear that they are automated.

I don't know, I can't be bothered trawling through that forum - in fact I tend to steer clear of it because it's a wasteland where new posters go to die... 

5 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

At least you're not experiencing the power outages. Hope no one was injured in those strong winds or any other chaos stemming from the power outages.

The power went out for us a bit that night, but like I say, we came through it ok. I haven't heard of any injuries, but I know some people had their vehicles and homes damaged by falling trees and such. I'm glad that we didn't experience that. I'm still finding it difficult to be happy about losing a few days of working time.

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

We're home together, he's bouncing off the walls, and I can't get any work done... Yay.

Man, I first heard the phrase "bouncing off the walls" during a church service in Houston when I was about 11 or something and it was all I could do not to issue a resonant guffaw through the sanctuary. The mental image of a toddler just rocketing about a bedroom like a squash ball turned out surprisingly evocative, something of the Calvin and Hobbes to it.

3 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Man, I first heard the phrase "bouncing off the walls" during a church service in Houston when I was about 11 or something and it was all I could do not to issue a resonant guffaw through the sanctuary. The mental image of a toddler just rocketing about a bedroom like a squash ball turned out surprisingly evocative, something of the Calvin and Hobbes to it.

Calvin and Hobbes has quite a bit of bearing on the state of his childhood at present.

23 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Calvin and Hobbes has quite a bit of bearing on the state of his childhood at present.

I figured! It's a great comic but I'd imagine you almost feel like hiding it from a kid that age in case they get any ideas from the guy.

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Unexpected winds on Sunday night caused power outages that are still affecting around 20,000 homes in my area. We were relatively unscathed, but my son's school has been shut down for the past two days. We're home together, he's bouncing off the walls, and I can't get any work done... Yay.

Yeah so I heard about this through Nate. His college shut down yesterday due to all the downed lines and power outages. Crazy! This Chinese Hoax is getting out of hand, man. 

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

The power went out for us a bit that night, but like I say, we came through it ok. I haven't heard of any injuries, but I know some people had their vehicles and homes damaged by falling trees and such. I'm glad that we didn't experience that. I'm still finding it difficult to be happy about losing a few days of working time.

Glad you came through ok alabaster.  On the flip side  today I have fun trick or treating with my niece today on Halloween happy Halloween everyone 

1 hour ago, Ghouly said:

Indeed, it is the time of year for ghoulish sightings

Welcome back ghouly

Thanks deathboi. Our trick or treating has been postponed until Friday. It's kind of amazing to me that a city can just basically pronounce Halloween suspended, and I was skeptical, but I heard kids at the park talking about it this afternoon so I know it's legit. I wonder if they'd consider doing that with some other holidays, so we can get a few more days off here and there.

Fuck it, I'm just gonna dress up weird and go ask people for candy on random days for the rest of the season.

5 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Thanks deathboi. Our trick or treating has been postponed until Friday. It's kind of amazing to me that a city can just basically pronounce Halloween suspended, and I was skeptical, but I heard kids at the park talking about it this afternoon so I know it's legit. I wonder if they'd consider doing that with some other holidays, so we can get a few more days off here and there.

Fuck it, I'm just gonna dress up weird and go ask people for candy on random days for the rest of the season.

Halloween was never a thing in Australia when I was growing up. It was always considered a silly US event that was better left on the television where we saw it. Those days are gone now, let me tell you, as it's all guns a-blazing now. It's really taken off all around my part of the city.

This year was the first year we've ever done trick or treating, and it was really cool. Last year there was quite a bit around, but this year it was a major event, with heaps of houses in my street putting decorations up. I checked on the infernal telegraph with other parents in the street who confirmed they were doing trick or treating, so I jumped at the chance. My immortal latex queen was against it, claiming it's a meaningless foreign import, but I wouldn't hear of ignoring it any longer.

My two daughters of satanikk malice loved it, but only the youngest vampire dressed up (as a witch). The eldest was too cool for Halloween school and despite having more costumes in the closet than Britney Spears chose to travel in civilian garb. Much candy was acquired and I now have a reservoir of ideas for next year. 

Halloween. It's a new and permanent fixture at Castle Requiem. @True Belief did you guys do it? 

Also, tomorrow night is Wintersun. Excellent. 

We have our own sort of trick or treating day here called Nuutinpäivä (St. Knut's Day), where kids dress up and go from door to door to get candy basically. Halloween is getting bigger and bigger though, propably because finns love to party, and it´s just another excuse to do so. We don´t have trick or treating during halloween though (i think), decorations, good food (and booze), candy and a bit of a masquerade going on. I must add it´s one of the most commercial parties there are.. still if it´s fun.. fuck it.. just go along with it. :D 

We have seen the number of knocks at the door every Halloween decline year on year over the last five years. I rarely answer the door as increasingly the knocks are from bored teenagers with no make up or costume on and they are just out for the money/sweets.  The younger kids in the street I am more than happy to accommodate but I remember one year about 10 years ago the teenager issue got so bad that I chained my front gate shut with a padlock.

Last night was zero knocks but we were out the early part of the evening.  Personally I love the darker side of the celebration and just use the celebration as an excuse to get more skull decorations in my office/man-cave.