What's on your mind?

Apoc

15 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

This Anata song is a damn marathon. There are only ten main riffs sure but then there are like 12 slight variations on those riffs and two solos...

Anata cranks out riffs like crazy, but the songs feel effortless and have so much flow. Most tech-death is jarring and filled with non-sequitors, but Anata have real chops and a great ear for melody.

3 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Anata cranks out riffs like crazy, but the songs feel effortless and have so much flow. Most tech-death is jarring and filled with non-sequitors, but Anata have real chops and a great ear for melody.

They do indeed. Doesn't make learning their songs any easier though. 

I really ought to stop yelling at my tv in these close footy games. I do try not to talk much about AFL but wow there are movies that aren't as dramatic, frightening, or exciting as the last two minutes of a really close game. No better feeling as a supporter then being on the winning side of those tight contests either.

Quick overnight trip to Brooklyn coming up this evening, so I can borrow a couple of paintings for my upcoming show. I wish I wasn't taking the time away from the pieces I'm working on now, but it'll be worth it to have these on display, I hope. It's been almost exactly a year since we moved up here, and I guess it's going to take a lot longer for me to feel at home here, or to stop thinking of the city as the place I belong. Regardless, I have a cool opportunity up here to show the best of my artistic labors for the past ten or fifteen years, and I'm grateful for that.

5 minutes ago, deathstorm said:

Good luck at the art show alabaster  hope you win first place

Ha, thanks dude, but it's not a competition. It's a gallery show. My first solo painting show. I feel a little weird about including old work, but I don't have enough new stuff to fill the space, and the majority of it has never been shown anyway. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm probably not as nervous as I would have been if this was happening ten years ago, but I'll admit to some butterflies. I have two months to finish everything up, so I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better.

41 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Ha, thanks dude, but it's not a competition. It's a gallery show. My first solo painting show. I feel a little weird about including old work, but I don't have enough new stuff to fill the space, and the majority of it has never been shown anyway. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm probably not as nervous as I would have been if this was happening ten years ago, but I'll admit to some butterflies. I have two months to finish everything up, so I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better.

Oh ok good luck at the gallery show 

12 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

So Nevertanezra is still alive? Who would have thought...

Nah, we're not Nevertanezra, Mike is Nevertanezra. We have a new name and a new lineup, but will be playing the songs that Mike and I were working on that we talked about years ago. Our new guitar player is adding some embellishments and improvements of his own already, so these songs are turning out even better than before. I've been a bit tight-lipped about it because I would like to have a timeline in place before we announce the new name/album/band info, it got old making these projections with Nevertanezra and not being able to deliver on them. I'm optimistic in any case.

Well so long as you're having fun and making progress it can only be a positive right?

Meanwhile I'm still working on building a foundation as a guitar player which will enable me to actually execute the ideas in my head. I can get about halfway there but lack the polish to fully form coherent riffs/songs. Maybe it's partly owing to these ideas being blackened technical funderal death/doom???

I ran into my much older, biker cousin this weekend. He asked if I would help clear some brush from around his place (he lives way out in the country) since he isn't getting around that well these days. I was glad to help, of course, although I managed to get into some poison oak. I thought he was really cool when I was a kid; he used to have a really nice, really loud Harley Electra Glide. He's always been nice to me and he was one of the few people who've ever paid me to do artwork for them. I hadn't been over there in a while, and when I was there this time I noticed he had some bird houses he'd built out of barn wood and old motorcycle license plates.

My sister came over today too with my nieces, so we spent some time together letting them play outside. The weather here has changed from humid, oppressive heat to fall-like so it's been a pretty good weekend, just hanging out with my family.

My friend got married on Saturday and we took the opportunity to stay in a country house hotel and paid for a suite which was very luxurious, i had great fun connecting my phone to the TV and blaring out various BM, DM and Thrash playlists as we got ready whilst the gf did the same in her dressing room with 80s pop music.

Was really happy for my friend after his first marriage ended messily and he was royally fucked over by a younger woman shortly afterwards.  Seems to have found a real nice lady this time and looking forward to spending more time with them.

I am off work today as a result of a new company policy of getting a day lieu for your birthday (even though the policy came in to effect after my birthday this year i still negotiated the day).  It is a welcome break getting up on a Monday and tending to the garden and my cats instead of the usual tending to emails and conference calls like normal.  Had my new role re-negotiated and therefore delayed until September unfortunately but I am busy enough as is so not too concerned.  On the plus side also I get a bonus paid soon which will be a few grand in the bank for numerous senseless and unnecessary purchases no doubt.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

Quick overnight trip to Brooklyn coming up this evening, so I can borrow a couple of paintings for my upcoming show. I wish I wasn't taking the time away from the pieces I'm working on now, but it'll be worth it to have these on display, I hope. It's been almost exactly a year since we moved up here, and I guess it's going to take a lot longer for me to feel at home here, or to stop thinking of the city as the place I belong. Regardless, I have a cool opportunity up here to show the best of my artistic labors for the past ten or fifteen years, and I'm grateful for that.

Hey..that's flew in huh..? Lots of success and best wishes for your show.

13 hours ago, morbidspectre said:

I ran into my much older, biker cousin this weekend. He asked if I would help clear some brush from around his place (he lives way out in the country) since he isn't getting around that well these days. I was glad to help, of course, although I managed to get into some poison oak. I thought he was really cool when I was a kid; he used to have a really nice, really loud Harley Electra Glide. He's always been nice to me and he was one of the few people who've ever paid me to do artwork for them. I hadn't been over there in a while, and when I was there this time I noticed he had some bird houses he'd built out of barn wood and old motorcycle license plates.

My sister came over today too with my nieces, so we spent some time together letting them play outside. The weather here has changed from humid, oppressive heat to fall-like so it's been a pretty good weekend, just hanging out with my family.

Sounds cool :) what kinda art do you do?

Sounds like you're being kept pretty busy then. Hope the gallery goes well for you.

You know what's great living so close to the beach? After a truly epic night's sleep I walked down to the beach with my dog to catch a very misty sunrise. If I was any good at taking photos there'd be one below of that breath-taking scene. Gonna stick with me all day no doubt about it.

Korpiklaani, Arkona, Heidevolk (and Trollfest) are making a tour around Europe in February/March and I bought a ticket for the Vienna show which will be held on 8th of March (since Vienna is the closest destination for me). Well, it's August now and I've already saved the minimum amount of money which I've calculated I'll need during my stay in Vienna - since I planned staying for 3 days. Seven more months to go and with this rate of money saving, l'll be able to save for some merch (which I also had in plan) and extend my stay in Vienna for a day or two more. But man....who's gonna wait for 7 months....

Just got out of a week stay at the hospital yesterday. Depression again. But it was a good hospital and really did me well. I feel positive and optimistic.

On a completely unrelated note: Alice Cooper is the worst, most offensive example of an artist using imagery and theatrics to try to hide the fact that they have no musical talent whatsoever. And people keep calling his crap metal even though all I've ever heard him play is hard rock.