What's on your mind?

Apoc

3 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

How you can call that dingy, dirty, city the most liveable in the world...

Typical South Australian response there. Next time you're here contact me and I'll show you around beyond Swanston street...

19 minutes ago, Will said:

I'm seeing Hadal Maw (tech death) and Black Rheno (stoner/grindcore) with Nemesium (death) and Fall & Resist (death-ish) at the Barwon Club tonight. Should be pretty fun.

Ah cool. They're playing in Melbourne this weekend too I think if I've got my facts straight (which I invariably have not). I've been to the Barwon Club once before, and the guy who drove got a speeding ticket on the way there and one on the way back. Classic. 

Tomorrow night is the Manowar cover band. @True Belief isn't coming because they're not letting wimps and posers in the hall. 

36 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Sweet, I liked what I heard of Hadal Maw, been meaning to revisit. Please report back!

If I survive with tying fingers intact you'll hear about it!

18 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Ah cool. They're playing in Melbourne this weekend too I think if I've got my facts straight (which I invariably have not). I've been to the Barwon Club once before, and the guy who drove got a speeding ticket on the way there and one on the way back. Classic.

You're right. Both Hadal Maw and Black Rheno are playing Frankston tomorrow and Rheno are singularly headlining at The Tote the day after. Jesus, after those tickets you probably got the Barwon Club at Rod Laver Arena prices.

25 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Tomorrow night is the Manowar cover band. @True Belief isn't coming because they're not letting wimps and posers in the hall.

That's not really fair. If a group of guys with guitars get to pretend to be Manowar, surely True Belief can pretend to be a metalhead.

2 hours ago, deathstorm said: Thanks alabaster for taking car of it 

Thank dilatedmind, when he's able to resolve it. I know he's been busy of late.

Hopefully it will be done soon. I've got a new death metal post saved and ready to roll out, so as soon as the embedding is working again, I'll post it up.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Will said:

If I survive with tying fingers intact you'll hear about it!

You're right. Both Hadal Maw and Black Rheno are playing Frankston tomorrow and Rheno are singularly headlining at The Tote the day after. Jesus, after those tickets you probably got the Barwon Club at Rod Laver Arena prices.

That's not really fair. If a group of guys with guitars get to pretend to be Manowar, surely True Belief can pretend to be a metalhead.

Classic.

7 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to hear Rush's 'Bastille Day' fading in over Tour De France coverage on Bastille Day in France...

Cool! I've been watching it in the evenings but to be honest I'm more fixated on the landscapes than the actual race progress. I guess I'm going for Froome.

I also really like Gabriel Gate's short culinary show at the start of each day's coverage on whatever region the race happens to be in. Fun fact: I used to live about three houses down from Gabriel Gate a few years ago. We were on "Hello" terms, but I'll stop short at claiming we were friends. 

3 hours ago, deathstorm said:

Ok alabaster thanks for letting me know  tomorrow is my birthday cant wait

Happy Birthday Deathy! Hope you have a great day. 

Just now, Requiem said:

Cool! I've been watching it in the evenings but to be honest I'm more fixated on the landscapes than the actual race progress. I guess I'm going for Froome.

I also really like Gabriel Gate's short culinary show at the start of each day's coverage on whatever region the race happens to be in. Fun fact: I used to live about three houses down from Gabriel Gate a few years ago. We were on "Hello" terms, but I'll stop short at claiming we were friends. 

I don't care for the flat days but as a semi-keen cyclist the mountain stages are fascinating for me.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

PSA regarding all the recent forum issues - we've had server problems, and the admin is trying to organize an upgrade to take care of the current problems. Please bear with us.

I haven't had anything since Wednesday..seems ok now...

18 hours ago, deathstorm said:

Ok alabaster thanks for letting me know  tomorrow is my birthday cant wait

Happy birthday deathstorm.

Reporting back on the Hadal Maw/ Black Rheno Barwon Club show:

I return to the forums with a small collection of new merch and a neck, sore from headbanging. Was an extremely enjoyable show overall with generally tight, entertaining performances with quality mixing throughout the night. Disappointing there weren't more people there to see it and due to a lack of people, atmosphere was not the most lively. 

I situated myself at the front of the crowd for most of the night, near the left hand (from audience perspective) side of the stage. I'd feel remiss not to give a brief overview of my experience with each band, shown below in order of performance. 

Fall and Resist:

Quite a tight performance with solid energy and stage presence. Lead singer was charismatic with song introduction and jokes, songs being generally heavier than what little promotional material I had previously heard. Tone and balance was near perfect with all elements being distinguishable at all times. During the second song of the set, there was a sudden power blackout of unknown cause which the band recovered from quite well; opting to begin the song anew, which I believe to be the preferable option. 

Black Rheno:

I heard someone say on the night (something along the lines of) "It's really good to see bands who really enjoy performing", and I think that really sums up what made theirs suck a fun set list to witness. The energy and stage presence of Black Rheno was amazing, I was really impressed with the vocalist and guitarists abilities to jump around the stage or walk like godzilla while still delivering a great performance. 

An impressively full sound for a band only consisting of three members (vocalist, guitarist, drummer) makes me question how a low-end fullness was achieved; I'm thinking possibly an octave harmoniser on the guitar but I wouldn't rule out a backing track (but I don't get how this would have worked as I didn't hear anything that would cue you to come in and didn't see earpeices on anyone.

At some points I found it difficult to hear the singer and the guitar a little unclear and muddy, but I think this may be due to me being overly close to one of the speakers.    

Hadal Maw:

I'm not sure what I was expecting but I think my expectations were surpassed. The atmosphere and spectacle of the group providing excellent visual and auditory respective vistas. I really like their latest album, but the songs had a much better flow and power to them live with the vocal work really popping out to attack the listener. 

The musicianship was admirable in all of the members, the dynamics of the songs really coming to life. A thing that I found interesting was a guitar sound in solo (or is it a riff?) of the song "Affluenza", that I previously was unsure of how it was made (thinking like myself, I though it was sweeps) that upon examination turned out to be some pretty cool tapping.

An unexpected bonus was the captivating theatrics of the lead singer, it really fitted in well with the music in a way that made the performance as a whole more interesting to look at.

Nemesium:

Being from Geelong, this is a band that I should really keep my eye on. Liking the promotional material that I hear beforehand, I was pretty impressed with the songs they played from the unrealeased upcoming album. They were fast and aggressive while still meticulously tight, lead pars and solos landing perfectly on each note.

The high vocals were a lot more ferocious in person than anything of them I'd previously heard. I think I may have become somewhat tired by this time in the night so some of this performance was likely lost on me.

Also, when I asked the guy who was selling their merch if they have any of their EPs left, they only one they had one left and he just told me to take it. Gotta love that, I'll probably buy one of their shirts if I manage to see them support King.

Overall a great night, but I can't help but thinking that with the small quantity of people that turned up (clearly less than 100 people including band members, staff etc.) that this must have been a loss of money and a little disappointing for the bands. 

45 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Quite the in-depth report Requiem. I have a question for you. Would you consider writing gig reports for the forum after you attend gigs? It might help expose some lesser talked about/known bands and Aussie bands in particular to the regulars here.

Did you mean me or did Requiem do a report on the Manowar cover band somewhere that I didn't see? 

In the case of the former: Sure, but I don't get to go to gigs as often as I'd like due to location, schedule, etc.. 

In the case of the latter: I look pretty dumb right now.

5 minutes ago, Will said:

Did you mean me or did Requiem do a report on the Manowar cover band somewhere that I didn't see? 

In the case of the former: Sure, but I don't get to go to gigs as often as I'd like due to location, schedule, etc.. 

In the case of the latter: I look pretty dumb right now.

Oh fuck how did I make that mistake? Sorry mate put it down to a blind moment.

I don't get to many gigs either so don't worry. I'm trying to think of ways we can get more discussion happening around here.