What's on your mind?

Apoc

Another boring night on Fremont street, the abundance of drunk, high, and otherwise crazy idiots that are in the same place at the same time is staggering. It used to hold some appeal for me when I was a kid and liked the light show, but now it's just an amalgamation of everything I don't like about Las Vegas. We're going to first Friday tonight, and I remember that being fun, so hopefully tonight goes better. I can't complain about how well we've been eating and my record store binge, and my girls have been enjoying themselves a great deal, so it has been a very worthwhile trip overall despite my complaints.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I never particularly wanted to visit Vegas, but your description of it is another nail in the coffin. I guess I'll just stick to watching reruns of CSI.

I've never owned a video game console, and I really suck at most of the games I've tried, but that didn't stop me from enjoying them at friends' houses as a teenager. I got an emulator onto one of our laptops and I'm introducing my son to the joys of Mortal Kombat, Super Street Fighter II, and Sonic The Hedgehog. Mostly an exercise in frustration so far!

5 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I never particularly wanted to visit Vegas, but your description of it is another nail in the coffin. I guess I'll just stick to watching reruns of CSI.

I've never owned a video game console, and I really suck at most of the games I've tried, but that didn't stop me from enjoying them at friends' houses as a teenager. I got an emulator onto one of our laptops and I'm introducing my son to the joys of Mortal Kombat, Super Street Fighter II, and Sonic The Hedgehog. Mostly an exercise in frustration so far!

Show him The Sims :) the game of choice for control freaks! Seriously addictive I love it.

You've never had a console? Wow, video games were a big part of my childhood, so that's hard for me to understand. Those are good introductions for him though! I understand the "exercise in frustration" comment from introducing my daughter to Super Mario World on my SNES, but they'll get it eventually.

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

You've never had a console? Wow, video games were a big part of my childhood, so that's hard for me to understand. Those are good introductions for him though! I understand the "exercise in frustration" comment from introducing my daughter to Super Mario World on my SNES, but they'll get it eventually.

That was kind of a cultural disconnect for me, honestly. We didn't even have a TV until I was 8. I enjoyed shows and video games when I could find them, but I didn't grow up with them and so I was kind of at a loss when it came to bonding with other kids, since I was missing the touchstones. I'm hoping to get a Retropie system that I can hook up to one of my spare monitors, with real controllers, so we can also do two player games. I've got him on Tetris now, he gets the idea but doesn't have the hang of the interface yet. Playing on a keyboard sucks, I suppose it'll be easier for him if we ever get something with real controllers. I haven't found a good ROM for any of the Mario games yet. I think I enjoyed those because they were so slow-moving. It's kind of a whole new world for me, actually having them here, and I don't want to turn him into a video game junkie before he's even started kindergarten...

That's a good call. Video games can be seriously addictive. Jeez metal and Mortal Kombat? Those poor kindergarten teachers will have their hands full...

Video games were a huge part of my childhood as well. I have fond memories of playing Crash Bandicoot on Playstation. Also Super Mario '64, Super Smash Bros. and Ocarina Of Time (still my favourite video game). In fact I was a somewhat avid gamer right up until my vision reached the point where games were more frustrating then fun.

I played the original Sims and Sims 2 back then and was quite addicted to it. Me and my sister played it together and we had each families of our own as well as shared families where we would decide what each of our sims wanted to do etc. It was fun, but I stopped playing it somewhen. I guess I would have fun with the newest title again, but there are still so many other games I yet have to play – and for some reason just don't play. Bleh.

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm unfamiliar with sims. I've heard of Sim City... Worldbuilding stuff? I assume that's what you're talking about?

Yeh like RO said a life simulator, you can make people and build houses, decorate and buy furniture.. there is a Sim Pets game too and you can create pets and look after them, buy them stuff at the pet store..Your Sims can even have babies !   I love them  :)  Sim City was pretty cool too.

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

That was kind of a cultural disconnect for me, honestly. We didn't even have a TV until I was 8. I enjoyed shows and video games when I could find them, but I didn't grow up with them and so I was kind of at a loss when it came to bonding with other kids, since I was missing the touchstones. I'm hoping to get a Retropie system that I can hook up to one of my spare monitors, with real controllers, so we can also do two player games. I've got him on Tetris now, he gets the idea but doesn't have the hang of the interface yet. Playing on a keyboard sucks, I suppose it'll be easier for him if we ever get something with real controllers. I haven't found a good ROM for any of the Mario games yet. I think I enjoyed those because they were so slow-moving. It's kind of a whole new world for me, actually having them here, and I don't want to turn him into a video game junkie before he's even started kindergarten...

I know you've mentioned your upbringing before, I guess I didn't make the connection. Sounds like a tough gap to bridge. Video games are addictive, but it's not all bad, they help with problem solving and reflex development, and foster imagination. They're addictive because they're fun, but if it seems like its getting to be a bit much for him, just shut it off and make him go outside like my parents did. I still wanted to go back in and play most of the time, but I got some good exercise in on my bike while I was awaiting the opportunity.

10 hours ago, SenedeSwaere said:

I played the original Sims and Sims 2 back then and was quite addicted to it. Me and my sister played it together and we had each families of our own as well as shared families where we would decide what each of our sims wanted to do etc. It was fun, but I stopped playing it somewhen. I guess I would have fun with the newest title again, but there are still so many other games I yet have to play – and for some reason just don't play. Bleh.

4 hours ago, natassja7 said:

Yeh like RO said a life simulator, you can make people and build houses, decorate and buy furniture.. there is a Sim Pets game too and you can create pets and look after them, buy them stuff at the pet store..Your Sims can even have babies !   I love them  :)  Sim City was pretty cool too.

As if having a wife, a five year old, four cats, and a bird crammed into a tiny two bedroom apartment isn't enough! :D

On 7/8/2017 at 8:18 AM, natassja7 said:

My Sim dude that I liked died tragically playing with fireworks, his main flaw was needing to have fun basically all the time. I regret not having made more steps into the pool, that might have saved him. He had a really cool pad with a western theme and was a monster on the electric guitar. I was devastated, and still miss him all these years later.

31 minutes ago, GorboGorboze said:

My Sim dude that I liked died tragically playing with fireworks, his main flaw was needing to have fun basically all the time. I regret not having made more steps into the pool, that might have saved him. He had a really cool pad with a western theme and was a monster on the electric guitar. I was devastated, and still miss him all these years later.

I actually think this describes a friend of mine fairly accurately. Hope he doesn't die soon. I haven't checked in with him since the Fourth.

1 hour ago, GorboGorboze said:

Aww dayuuuum.. :( one of my families perished when I built an outdoor barbecue room, they seemed to like it but started cooking before I had time to upgrade the door or place a smoke alarm..fuck..My condolences to you, Gorbo...

The sun is shining on this crystal clear winter's day.

Today my five year old daughter (of the firmament) and I are heading in to the city to visit the National Gallery of Victoria. It's the premier gallery in Melbourne (and therefore Australia). Last Tuesday we went to the Museum. Good times. 

10 minutes ago, Requiem said:

The sun is shining on this crystal clear winter's day.

Today my five year old daughter (of the firmament) and I are heading in to the city to visit the National Gallery of Victoria. It's the premier gallery in Melbourne (and therefore Australia). Last Tuesday we went to the Museum. Good times. 

That sounds awesome. Hope you have a great time! I tried to get my son to go to see Botticelli's Venus with me last week, but he wasn't having it. Oh well. There are other artists I'd be more upset about missing, and with how he's been behaving lately he probably would tried climbing the sculptures or something, so I think it's for the best...