What's on your mind?

Apoc

47 minutes ago, Frostaudn said:

Finally a day off after a busy week. Our trip to Fall of Summer (France) was really awesome. Oranssi Pazuzu and Dead Congregation delivered both an amazing show, as well as Shining and Satyricon. Skepticism was a bit disappointing due they had to perform during the day on an open air stage, plus the sound wasn't great either. Overall the atmosphere was great as well; I would almost say the best crowd you could wish for a festival.

Then on monday I had immediately go to university for 9 hours, so that was fun.

Also: I think I missed something here? :D

Sounds great ...wish I had been there. I am finally seeing Horna in October..Yay!

6 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Glad you had a good time Yobo. Actually I've got a one day festival of sorts coming up soon. All Aussie bands tied in one way or another to the promoter who also runs the place I do my guitar lessons. 12 hours of live metal from bands no one has heard of...exciting.

Sounds nice though. Usually there as always that band who is surprisingly good.

4 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Yeah but there's also always the obligatory killswitch clones...shudders.

If you go into it looking for stuff to dislike, you'll have a shitty time. Weren't you recently lamenting that you hadn't been to a metal show? FWIW I've often been very impressed with a band's live show even if I'm not even into their music - Killswitch included. It's a whole different experience from listening to a recording.

On my mind, a couple of things. One, I'm actually saddened by our landlord's decision to cut down the trees in our parking area (which I won't really dignify by calling a "lot"). It's a sort of barren little section of flat dirt between us and the neighboring buildings (which is still pure luxury compared to street parking in Brooklyn), and even though the trees were just scraggly medium-sized evergreens, they provided shade and a sense of life out the kitchen window. But the world, it seems, must be paved over, starting here. And the removal has driven all of the resident bugs out of their hiding places.

Two, this is awesome news - the drum tracking for the upcoming BH recording is done! I don't have the files yet, but the guys involved are both amazing drummers involved with some other sick bands, and I know their parts will kick ass. Can't wait to get started on that, although finding time and energy concurrently has proven difficult in our new situation thus far. Lyrics to write, guitar parts to bone up on, etc etc.

Relentless I totally second FA's input. To be totally honest, going to a show with a deep bill is one of my favorite music experiences, even if its alone, because theres almost always at least one fantastic performance. The last time I went into a situation like that I discovered Shroud Eater and Holly Hunt, 2 of my favorite bands to this day. 

Hell, sometimes I prefer going to shows alone in general. Depending on the atmosphere its usually nice to have buds with but I've had awesome experiences by myself at shows more than a handful of times, I find it'll either motivate me to make new friends while im there or just have a good reflective time to myself enjoying some new music. 

11 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said: Still reeling and dealing with ringing ears after seeing Swans last night. What a show, they were stunning.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Fuck yes. Also, no earplugs for Swans? 

Nope, I never wear earplugs. Last night was one of the only times that I've regretted that decision, but only at first. It was amusing though, most people there were wearing earplugs, and when the volume would climax, it seemed like everyone in the audience would simultaneously reach for their earplugs and make sure that they were pressed in as far as they would go.

Damn, dude, good luck with that in later life. I never go to a show or practice without earplugs, sometimes even wear them playing at home if I don't want to mess with my amp volume. I used to work with a lot of power tools, and I regret that I didn't wear earplugs on the job as well, tinnitus and hearing loss are shitty. But yeah, Swans/Angels Of Light and Type O Negative are the loudest shows I've ever seen. Even earplugs didn't seem to help.

Damn, dude, good luck with that in later life. I never go to a show or practice without earplugs, sometimes even wear them playing at home if I don't want to mess with my amp volume. I used to work with a lot of power tools, and I regret that I didn't wear earplugs on the job as well, tinnitus and hearing loss are shitty. But yeah, Swans/Angels Of Light and Type O Negative are the loudest shows I've ever seen. Even earplugs didn't seem to help.

I think before last night, the loudest band I've seen was Ministry, and they were right up there with Swans. I don't remember Type O being too bad, Celtic Frost opened when I saw them, and they were louder. Sunn O))) was up there, and probably the loudest low frequency noise I've heard. I usually only have tinnitus for the night, or sometimes the next day after a loud show, but I haven't noticed any hearing loss. For example, I can't turn up my work phone past volume setting 3 out of 10 or it's just too loud.

17 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I think before last night, the loudest band I've seen was Ministry, and they were right up there with Swans. I don't remember Type O being too bad, Celtic Frost opened when I saw them, and they were louder. Sunn O))) was up there, and probably the loudest low frequency noise I've heard. I usually only have tinnitus for the night, or sometimes the next day after a loud show, but I haven't noticed any hearing loss. For example, I can't turn up my work phone past volume setting 3 out of 10 or it's just too loud.

Type O wasn't always horribly loud, but one L'Amours show in particular gave my ears that awful tickly feeling even with plugs in. The hearing loss and even tinnitus could manifest later in a permanent way. Seriously, not to nanny you, but that shit is important, I have friends who can't listen to anything at much volume anymore.

17 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said: I think before last night, the loudest band I've seen was Ministry, and they were right up there with Swans. I don't remember Type O being too bad, Celtic Frost opened when I saw them, and they were louder. Sunn O))) was up there, and probably the loudest low frequency noise I've heard. I usually only have tinnitus for the night, or sometimes the next day after a loud show, but I haven't noticed any hearing loss. For example, I can't turn up my work phone past volume setting 3 out of 10 or it's just too loud.

Type O wasn't always horribly loud, but one L'Amours show in particular gave my ears that awful tickly feeling even with plugs in. The hearing loss and even tinnitus could manifest later in a permanent way. Seriously, not to nanny you, but that shit is important, I have friends who can't listen to anything at much volume anymore.

I've tried them before, but I hate how they mute what I'm hearing. If they just brought everything down to a lower volume, it would be fine, but I lose a ton of tone range with them in. The difference was always so substantial that it wasn't worth it for me.

5 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

^ This.