What's on your mind?

Apoc

I love reading top 10 lists from my other forum' date=' they tend to contain almost nothing that I've heard before and give me good leads for stuff to track down. I would imagine seeing the new AtG along with whatever other mainstream pap is getting attention from Decibel and MetalSucks these days would be nauseating to read over and over, but there's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.[/quote'] I don't really care about the trendy stuff, those lists are too obvious. Is just that most of the albums have already been reviewed, it often feels like lazy writing and/or just filling up blog space during the holidays, or they're so pretentious that it just irks me. The top 10 list-mania goes against many of my core principles of music reviewing, such as acknowledging the fluctuating and very personal nature of music enjoyment (even scoring an album on a scale sometimes feels too static and forced to me). Anyway, the main reason is that it's tough to wade through all the lists and retrospectives to find music that's still coming out. I just stay away from the blogs until this shit is over with. At least I'll get a laugh out of the "stuff we missed from 2014" posts!!!

I like to read through lists. I don't get hung up on the ratings though. I like to see if there's something I've never heard before or missed an album being out out by a band that I've forgotten about. Honestly I'm going to listen to what I like whether someone thinks it garbage, gives it a low rating or bad review. BAN thinks I have questionable taste anyway lol :D

Lists are fine, they just seem superfluous to me and they make me question the motives of the author. I like to check old top ten lists more than current ones, since the passage of time offers a little more perspective. Once the hype is gone, I feel a stronger desire to revisit and review the "list-worthy" albums. Anyway, while people were busy cranking out list after list, I've been writing a ton music of my own :^]

I like to read through lists. I don't get hung up on the ratings though. I like to see if there's something I've never heard before or missed an album being out out by a band that I've forgotten about. Honestly I'm going to listen to what I like whether someone thinks it garbage' date=' gives it a low rating or bad review. BAN thinks I have questionable taste anyway lol :D[/quote'] When did I ever say that? [emoji12]

I hear ya. I always thought that reviewing an album after a once through, when it may be a grower, is quite presumptuous that its crap and never giving it another listen. It's weird, to me, that there are people that actually wont listen to something or they love something just due to the word of a reviewer, really? I love looking @ old lists from years ago and checking out bands I never heard of, got around to listening to or wasn't into @ that time.

Awesome dude' date=' glad to hear it. I'm sure I wasn't the only one here that was concerned. What are you doing now?[/quote'] Got a new house since I got kicked out of the last due to not be able to pay the rent. Working on getting my streetbike fixed cause I crashed it trying to kill myself then at the last minute decided against it and laid the bike down. I didn't get hurt the my bike is damn near wrecked. However my new job has me making $1100 a week as a company driver which is cool. Definitely could be worse off I suppose so I would like to think things are going better for me now than they were.

I love looking @ old lists from years ago and checking out bands I never heard of' date=' got around to listening to or wasn't into @ that time.[/quote'] Same here, I've come to enjoy a lot of bands I used to think were crap. Lengsel, Primal Fear, Eluveitie, Manticora, Redemption, Symphony X, Savage Circus, Volbeat, Holy Blood, Extol, Into Eternity, Wuthering Heights, Sikth, Antestor, Leprous, Anubis Gate, Zero Hour, Teramaze, Beneath...At one point or another I thought they were all rubbish and now I love all of them. Hell, I didn't even like Unexpect on my first listen.

Compared to me' date=' everyone has bad taste, so why would I single you out? [emoji4']
Ah heck, I never felt like you were singling me out. I'm just the only one thats had the balls to say anything :lol: Now stop picking on me! lol :P Oh look there's Iceni, he listens to more obscure stuff than I do, what an easy target :D (sorry Iceni)

Got a new house since I got kicked out of the last due to not be able to pay the rent. Working on getting my streetbike fixed cause I crashed it trying to kill myself then at the last minute decided against it and laid the bike down. I didn't get hurt the my bike is damn near wrecked. However my new job has me making $1100 a week as a company driver which is cool. Definitely could be worse off I suppose so I would like to think things are going better for me now than they were.
What the fuck dude, you have a functioning bike and you opt to check out. why not ride to tiera del feugo and make you decision down there deciding if it's worth the trip back or not? You kill your self, what dreams may come, get me motherfucker! A person can learn to master whatever they spend 10,000 hours trying to master. Focus on mastering the extreme kind of financial stress that seems to be your lot Black Metal. Glad to hear you have a good paying gig, I hope you find a way to ride easy. Thanks for checking in, and pardon the lecture, but fuck dude, I hope you find something about life to treasure.

Ah heck' date=' I never felt like you were singling me out. I'm just the only one thats had the balls to say anything :lol: Now stop picking on me! lol :P Oh look there's Iceni, he listens to more obscure stuff than I do, what an easy target :D (sorry Iceni)[/quote'] Sorry, I just thought my superiority was implied, but I could see getting lost and confused in my huge shadow as I bask in the light. Man, I can't even keep up this faux arrogance any longer, you guys are all awesome.

What the fuck dude' date=' you have a functioning bike and you opt to check out. why not ride to tiera del feugo and make you decision down there deciding if it's worth the trip back or not? You kill your self, what dreams may come, get me motherfucker! A person can learn to master whatever they spend 10,000 hours trying to master. Focus on mastering the extreme kind of financial stress that seems to be your lot Black Metal. Glad to hear you have a good paying gig, I hope you find a way to ride easy. Thanks for checking in, and pardon the lecture, but fuck dude, I hope you find something about life to treasure.[/quote'] I understand what you're saying but you gotta realize life for me has been difficult. Not as bad as some people but it certainly wasn't a walk in the park. I grew up in foster homes and group homes because many parents were tweakers and my dad beat me, my brother and my sister. I've never had the chance to meet either of them which makes me feel both sad and angry. I used to talk to my mom when I was younger but she turned out be the type of person who always says their going to change but never does( I turned out the same way, big surprise right). Because of this I've never really had a chance to make friend. Hell the first time I actually had someone I could call a friend wasn't until I was 13. I've always felt alone going through life and never felt like I could get close to anyone cause they would just end up leaving anyways. Long story short brother is that I have a lot of unresolved issues(mainly being able to properly express my emotions, abandonment issues, and anger control) I need to work on. The only problem is that I grew up having to fend for myself so I find almost impossible to ask for help until the situation spirals out of my control at which point I get into a very depressed state and I stay that until I try to opt out or one of the few people close to me help me out. Of course there's also the problem I have with drugs. I prefer hardcore uppers like meth and coke and crack but I'll honestly do anything if someone offers them to me. I'm pretty fucked in the head and I want to change my life but I'm probably too stubborn for that to ever happen. One day I imagine I'll have the balls to go through with it, until then I'm just kinda stuck here waiting for the day it all ends. Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

You have a performance/practice tonight? Or are you recording stuff. And hurry up with that list! I wanna see if theres anything I haven't heard before. I'm guessing it'll prob be about 99% of it lol
It's studio day today. My list should be done by Saturday evening at the latest. I'm quite surprised to see where it is going: there's a lot of variation and I'm sure you'll find a reasonable amount of albums you've never heard of. ;)

I understand what you're saying but you gotta realize life for me has been difficult. Not as bad as some people but it certainly wasn't a walk in the park... I'm just kinda stuck here waiting for the day it all ends. Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2
That is for sure a very grim picture, with an exceptionally difficult childhood, and I'm in no position to tell you to get over it. Myself I'm a well loved hippie kid who grew up cloistered in a bohemian paradise in the country (more or less). No one needs a rougher start, so sure some kids get a worse start, but yours was bad enough, so no need for comparisons. Not having a good base of friendships in life is almost worse I think, and more resolvable I would imagine. your past is not going to improve, obviously (thought the way you carry could improve without limit). But I hope for you that you find good friends to give you a feeling of support. My theory about hard narcotic addiction, or even light abuse, is that some people haven't had enough pleasant sober experiences in their live to handle a drug induced euphoria, and not want lots and lots more. I don't know if you get me, but I'm suggesting a person who hasn't experienced much in the way of simple good times can't take an ecstatic drug high in stride as an interesting experience, because they have no base of pleasure (for lack of a better word) too fall back on. Please take my simply saying so as truth and believe that there is a place for you in the world, and the next time you get a chance to sit quietly with a good cup of coffee and a nice slice of pie, or whatever thing is good for you remember I'll be glad to know that you enjoy it because I care about you. Stay in touch, I'm glad your here.

Been off work today due to the weather, which is awesome but I'm technically on call until five so I've been in that irritating limbo where I cant commit to anything, mostly because when I get started on something I hate taking breaks before its done. Aside from a quick gym visit I've mostly been sitting in my room staring at my dog whilst contemplating ways to build a new rack for my records since my bookshelf is officially out of room.

Holy ****. We totally nailed it. We recorded for four hours straight and got loads of excellent material. The bass player and I made one intro that sounded as if a contemporary Fauré could have written it and the funk was all but on the verge of extinction. We had to stop at 11PM though. The police had received a complaint and because we were jamming, drunk and pretty spaced out, we hadn't considered the time. Anyway, now I'm home and I'm looking forward to three more days of jamming starting tomorrow.

We had a low of -16 degrees Fahrenheit
-26°C? Really?

Holy ****. We totally nailed it. We recorded for four hours straight and got loads of excellent material. The bass player and I made one intro that sounded as if a contemporary Fauré could have written it and the funk was all but on the verge of extinction. We had to stop at 11PM though. The police had received a complaint and because we were jamming, drunk and pretty spaced out, we hadn't considered the time. Anyway, now I'm home and I'm looking forward to three more days of jamming starting tomorrow. -26°C? Really?
Nice Midi, I'm stoked for you that you've got it going on in the studio. That is awesome. As for the weather here, New England Weather Associates records that the temperature bottomed out at -13, so lets go with that. Sorry if I was exaggerating. The way we see it around here, it's that kind of weather that keeps this great state from getting inundated with candy asses and wimps.

Nice Midi, I'm stoked for you that you've got it going on in the studio. That is awesome. As for the weather here, New England Weather Associates records that the temperature bottomed out at -13, so lets go with that. Sorry if I was exaggerating. The way we see it around here, it's that kind of weather that keeps this great state from getting inundated with candy asses and wimps.
And the desolate rocky sands of New Mexico call out a siren summons to those looking to explode things, away from the prying eyes of society.