Slipknot ??

MikaelaSim

On 3/29/2014 at 2:18 PM, Feidz said:
Yeah, the two percussionists (Pinoccio and the clown) have a small part in some songs and nobody knows what pinhead have been doing the whole time. Anyone likes Mate Feed Kill Repeat? I like the songs Gently and Confessions very much on that album.

Two percussionists are DickFace/Pinoccio and the "Clown" did some small parts and professional rhythm of the songs like Psychosocial and People = Sh*t... That's the one i agree about! Like you Woutjinho, same with me, i don't know what was pinhead was doing during Performance Live Stage.. It's so weird to find him with Slipknot and he's not that evolved with the band.. Strange! Never heard of Mate Feed Kill Repeat?! I'll listen to the albums anyway what you wanted us to listen to: "Gentry" "Confessions"! -Feidz

tbh im bored out of my fucking mind so i just decided to look thru old slipknot forums, and yall are fukken stupid. craig, "pinhead" is the sampler for the band; he makes live performances work, he makes everything sound like the actual song. have yall never even heard of samplers??????

Glad you are here to re-affirm the stereotype most people have of Slipknot fans. The dumb meathead jock bro who has to resort to insults and profanity to get his point across, bravo!

That being said... I must admit Slipknot was kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I never really got into the debut album, but Iowa and Vol. 3 were a pretty big deal back in the day and i regurarly give them a spin. Especially Vol. 3 which finally showed some growth for the band thanks due to Rick Rubin's production job. They seemd to move away from the nu-metal template and finally injected some much needed diversity with that particular record. After that i got into lot's of other bands and i lost track of them and "All Hope is Gone" and "5: The Gray Chapter" totally passed me by.

I did purchase "We Are Not Your Kind" recently for a bargain price and i must say i was quite impressed. This might be the best album they have done since "Vol. 3". Plenty of cool riffing but i also like how the electronic elements are brought more to the forefront. It's really the most diverse records of their career and even if you don't like them i'd urge everyone to give it a chance. I'd given up on Slipknot long ago but based on their last record i might have to review my opinion.

I've been listening to Slipknot since I first heard a rough mix of Eyeless on a free CD attached to an issue of Kerrang! magazine & I'm not afraid to admit I've been a fan ever since. I like the music, the visual presentation & the overall creativity the band has displayed over the course of their career. I understand why many metal fans may have an issue with them...but that's their choice...the same way its my choice to listen to them.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a sneaking suspicion Mr. Wandame is a bot. The language could theoretically by explained by having English as a second language, but that coupled with the random name followed by a number as a moniker just smells fishy. We'll see if he posts again.

In any case I may as well take this opportunity to trash Slipknot. I really hate this moldering pack of spunk puddles like you wouldn't believe. The only small significance they ever held was for their live shows which involved fitting nine imbeciles on a small stage dressed like luchadores going through a goth phase.

4 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I may as well take this opportunity to trash Slipknot. I really hate this moldering pack of spunk puddles like you wouldn't believe. The only small significance they ever held was for their live shows which involved fitting nine imbeciles on a small stage dressed like luchadores going through a goth phase.

One of the perks of being born when I was. Balloon-knot and their ilk barely registered as even a tiny blip on my radar. Probably when my daughter was in high school in the mid 2000's they were huge and inescapable.

I remember being on the phone with her one time and she mentioned something about her boyfriend at the time being into music like mine with the screaming. So I was like, "Oh yeah? What bands does he like?" She turned and asked him what was the name of that band he had just been listening to. He said Slipknot. Fortunately that boyfriend was not the one she ended up marrying.

16 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

One of the perks of being born when I was. Balloon-knot and their ilk barely registered as even a tiny blip on my radar. Probably when my daughter was in high school in the mid 2000's they were huge and inescapable.

I remember being on the phone with her one time and she mentioned something about her boyfriend at the time being into music like mine with the screaming. So I was like, "Oh yeah? What bands does he like?" She turned and asked him what was the name of that band he had just been listening to. He said Slipknot. Fortunately that boyfriend was not the one she ended up marrying.

Haha. That's one of those things where you have to roll with the punches. So many people out there have the idea that screaming = metal. You have to laugh because otherwise you'll end up letting it make you crazy. We've all run into it on at least a couple of occasions. My personal favorite is when you're in the car with somebody and they say "Just no metal, please." so you put on Priest, Maiden, Saxon, or Manilla Road and they love it. 'Yep. No metal here at all'.

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Haha. That's one of those things where you have to roll with the punches. So many people out there have the idea that screaming = metal. You have to laugh because otherwise you'll end up letting it make you crazy. We've all run into it on at least a couple of occasions. My personal favorite is when you're in the car with somebody and they say "Just no metal, please." so you put on Priest, Maiden, Saxon, or Manilla Road and they love it. 'Yep. No metal here at all'.

It’s a stereotype sadly, perpetuated by people who would label slipknot and co. Metal. The other side of that coin however are the metal heads who don’t recognise Diamond Head, as an example, are metal because they aren’t extreme sonically. On another forum I once had an argument with someone who insisted Metal didn’t exist until Altars of Madness dropped.

My daughter's new man is taking her to see Ghost. It's not Slipknot bad and it's not deathcore, but it's also something I could live without. But hey, they like music and they like live music, so whatever.

I remember buying the first Slipknot album. I was stationed in Italy back in the late 90's. No interwebs and limited access to record stores. Bought a lot of embarrassing stuff back then. Kids these days will never know the struggle of the heshers back in the day. Haven't heard anything by them since.

14 minutes ago, navybsn said:

My daughter's new man is taking her to see Ghost. It's not Slipknot bad and it's not deathcore, but it's also something I could live without. But hey, they like music and they like live music, so whatever.

I remember buying the first Slipknot album. I was stationed in Italy back in the late 90's. No interwebs and limited access to record stores. Bought a lot of embarrassing stuff back then. Kids these days will never know the struggle of the heshers back in the day. Haven't heard anything by them since.

As long as you don't have to go with them it's all good. But didn't she just get married within the last few years? That didn't last long. My daughter's been married for 9 years already now and they seem pretty happy, so I consider myself lucky on that front. Just wish they lived somewhere other than Florida. No offense. Could never visit her in summertime, it's a brutal 97° down there right now, a warm 82° here.

8 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

It’s a stereotype sadly, perpetuated by people who would label slipknot and co. Metal. The other side of that coin however are the metal heads who don’t recognise Diamond Head, as an example, are metal because they aren’t extreme sonically. On another forum I once had an argument with someone who insisted Metal didn’t exist until Altars of Madness dropped.

I've known dickheads like that too, though they were usually trve black metallers who insisted 90% of metal was not metal unless it was black metal or one of the bands that openly influenced black metal like Sodom or early Kreator.  Iron Maiden or Metallica or whatever weren't metal to them at all and death metal was false metal.

I know I argue most nu-metal isn't metal but some of it is.  Slipknot definitely plays metal. And occasionally they've written songs I've quite liked.  But the only whole album of theirs's I can stomach  in its entirety is Iowa.

15 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

I've known dickheads like that too, though they were usually trve black metallers who insisted 90% of metal was not metal unless it was black metal or one of the bands that openly influenced black metal like Sodom or early Kreator.  Iron Maiden or Metallica or whatever weren't metal to them at all and death metal was false metal.

I know I argue most nu-metal isn't metal but some of it is. Slipknot definitely plays metal. And occasionally they've written songs I've quite liked. But the only whole album of theirs's I can stomach in its entirety is Iowa.

Those dickheads knew damn well Maiden and Metallica were metal bands. I've never encountered anyone that would say Maiden weren't metal personally, but I don't actually know any trve kvlt black metallers in real life. And false metal, what does that even really mean? To me it's just some dumb shit Manowar used to say back in the day but ironically they were a poseur band themselves. I think the kvltos were just having a lend of you, being contrary for their own amusement, because all trve kvlt black metallers are required to hate everything, even themselves. Anyone that claims death metal isn't truly metal is either trolling you or they're just fucking stupid. 

Can't debate Iowa with you because I'm not prepared to go listen to it first. Life is too short.

36 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Those dickheads knew damn well Maiden and Metallica were metal bands. I've never encountered anyone that would say Maiden weren't metal personally, but I don't actually know any trve kvlt black metallers in real life. And false metal, what does that even really mean? To me it's just some dumb shit Manowar used to say back in the day but ironically they were a poseur band themselves. I think the kvltos were just having a lend of you, being contrary for their own amusement, because all trve kvlt black metallers are required to hate everything, even themselves. Anyone that claims death metal isn't truly metal is either trolling you or they're just fucking stupid. 

1990s/early 2000s black metallers were a breed unto themselves.  Some of them refused to go to metal gigs but you'd see them at rock gigs hanging outside.   So death metal = false metal, but hard rock ala MC5 cross KISS = Ok.

I had a couple of them on my radio show as they were in local bands.  At one point they actually started to seriously debate as to which point Judas Iscariot sold out.  

You would have loved that particular episode -  I had them bring in all their favourite stuff and the whole show was just 100% underground black metal.

(And you would have hated our usual shows especially as we finished every episode with a different Iron Maiden song!).

9 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

1990s/early 2000s black metallers were a breed unto themselves.  Some of them refused to go to metal gigs but you'd see them at rock gigs hanging outside.   So death metal = false metal, but hard rock ala MC5 cross KISS = Ok.

I had a couple of them on my radio show as they were in local bands.  At one point they actually started to seriously debate as to which point Judas Iscariot sold out.  

You would have loved that particular episode -  I had them bring in all their favourite stuff and the whole show was just 100% underground black metal.

(And you would have hated our usual shows especially as we finished every episode with a different Iron Maiden song!).

One or two Iron Maiden songs wouldn't kill me. Especially if they were off side 1 of Piece of Mind or Killers. I might even listen to one or the other of those voluntarily every couple of years. Just bewilders me to see so many people name them as one of their absolute top 2 or 3 favorite metal bands of all time when we know now in 2023 there are so many boatloads of better bands. You'd think the sun shone out of their arseholes or something the way some people gush over them. Up the Irons! But that's just my opinion, I know. Still, the more I see that people love and worship and revere them, the more I dig in my heels to resist and say no god dammit they're really not that fucking wonderful. But I don't really hate them quite as much as I make out. They're just not something I feel the need to listen to regulary. They're certainly heavy metal.

I didn't know anything about 2nd wave black metal in the 90's, not underground not above ground, only the first wave stuff. But at the time I didn't think of any of that 1st wave stuff as 'black metal' it was all just 80's metal to me. I still don't think of Celtic Frost as black metal, although they were a primary influence on the Norwegians obviously. I didn't really get too much into black metal until maybe '07 or '08. Death metal came first, or melodeath and then early 90's death and then 2000's death and only then did I hear my true calling and graduate up to black metaldom. Didn't succumb to it immediately, I still probably listened to more death metal than black up til about 2010 - 2012 which is when I really converted over to the dark side. But don't worry I won't proselytize, I know you're not a fan of the black arts and that's cool man, to each his own.

This thread is funny. I have never listened to Slipknot. Early  in my teaching career, my class was in a community center. This would have been way back in 2002-2003 and there was this one young dude who was the manager who used to talk about Slipknot and I think he played some of their music on the sound system at some point. A lot of high school  kids who claimed to be into metal were into them. I remember the timeframe because I recall listening to HOF/Surrounded by Thieves and Damage Done and Oceanic and the Mantle and the Revered Bizarre and Pure Rock Fury-definitely in my early stoner phase before extreme metal pierced my bubble but having a vague recollection that Slipknot had the same appeal to me as a slightly more screamo Creed. And also, Lamb of God and As I Lay Dying and Avenged Sevenfold -none of which I ever bothered with LOL.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

As long as you don't have to go with them it's all good. But didn't she just get married within the last few years? That didn't last long. My daughter's been married for 9 years already now and they seem pretty happy, so I consider myself lucky on that front. Just wish they lived somewhere other than Florida. No offense. Could never visit her in summertime, it's a brutal 97° down there right now, a warm 82° here.

4 years they lasted. Screaming and fighting and taking years off my life. Glad to see the loser go. Get fucked. He's lucky I've got better things to do than find a spot in the swamp for him.

97 is a brisk fall day around here. We don't even start sweating until it hits triple digits.

1 hour ago, markm said:

This thread is funny. I have never listened to Slipknot. Early  in my teaching career, my class was in a community center. This would have been way back in 2002-2003 and there was this one young dude who was the manager who used to talk about Slipknot and I think he played some of their music on the sound system at some point. A lot of high school  kids who claimed to be into metal were into them. I remember the timeframe because I recall listening to HOF/Surrounded by Thieves and Damage Done and Oceanic and the Mantle and the Revered Bizarre and Pure Rock Fury-definitely in my early stoner phase before extreme metal pierced my bubble but having a vague recollection that Slipknot had the same appeal to me as a slightly more screamo Creed. And also, Lamb of God and As I Lay Dying and Avenged Sevenfold -none of which I ever bothered with LOL.

Living in the area surrounding Des Moines when they were blowing up, Slipknot was hard to avoid. Not just their music, but the band members themselves. They'd get off tour and show up to local shows all the time. You'd think, given that their stage personas were incognito, they'd take advantage, but no. Obnoxious butt plunderers the lot of them. I disliked their music anyway, but in person they really were some of the shittiest humans I've ever interacted with.

I've heard Ghost really isn't half bad for what they are, so I guess you could do a lot worse than listen to them.

Creed's singer had a very serious drinking problem from what I heard. Never really enjoyed them much. They just sounded like a shittier Pearl Jam to me. Altar Bridge I could understand liking. Decent singer and guitar work a step above your typical pop-rock fare. Of course the Christian kids loved them, but they weren't given a ton of listening options so they took what they could get.

I'd absolutely accept Lamb of God as full blooded metal that just happened to be popular at the time. I'd even say New American Gospel and As the Palaces Burn were decent albums.

As I Lay Dying had a nice little niche within metalcore that was pretty much all their own, but strict adherence to their signature sound meant there really was a clock on how long they could maintain the level of success they achieved... oh and maybe don't try to put a hit out on your ex. I also have trouble not resenting the band for taking the name of one of Faulkner's better books. It's a good title for a book, but as a band name it's just too melodramatic.

I'd fallen almost completely into the heavier more extreme stuff by the time Avenged Sevenfold rolled through, so I never had much reason to deal with them.

Late 1990s this was all the metal you could find locally.  And to be honest Slipknot weren't the worst.  It was all Limp Bizkit and Korn and all this other shit.

Locally none of the shops sold Iron Maiden let alone more extreme stuff.  Only locally available mag was Metal Hammer (though some news agents started carrying Terrorizer in early 00s!).

And the only metal show (Three Hours of Power) was mainly commercial shit though occasionally relief presenters played some cooler stuff.

So I listened to old metal that I found in second hand shops (not that I could afford new stuff) and tried to hunt down bands on inlay card thank you lists.

Things got better after 2000 and especially after 2002 at which point Nu-Metal was well and truly dead.  Sure we had metalcore, but proper metal had already awoken from its several years of near death slumber.

38 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Late 1990s this was all the metal you could find locally.  And to be honest Slipknot weren't the worst.  It was all Limp Bizkit and Korn and all this other shit.

Locally none of the shops sold Iron Maiden let alone more extreme stuff.  Only locally available mag was Metal Hammer (though some news agents started carrying Terrorizer in early 00s!).

And the only metal show (Three Hours of Power) was mainly commercial shit though occasionally relief presenters played some cooler stuff.

So I listened to old metal that I found in second hand shops (not that I could afford new stuff) and tried to hunt down bands on inlay card thank you lists.

Things got better after 2000 and especially after 2002 at which point Nu-Metal was well and truly dead.  Sure we had metalcore, but proper metal had already awoken from its several years of near death slumber.

When did you get internet access? That was sort of the turning point for me in 1998 I got my first computer and then the internet enabled me to start catching up on music I'd missed. I'd been primarily listening to my 80's stuff throughout most of the 90's, didn't buy much new music at all that decase compared to the 80's or the 2000's. Still it took me several more years until I really figured out how to use the internet to find new metal bands. Metal Archives and Youtube didn't even exist yet back then in the late 90's.

We had record stores though, but not any really good ones, it was mostly all commercial major label stuff. I guess they stocked what sold. There would have been more underground stuff available in the city I'm sure, but it's a fucking hassle getting in and out of NYC from the burbs, so it seemed too far to go just to flip through the stacks and hope you might find something good when you really didn't even know what you were looking for. Metal magazines were probably the best resource we had back then circa 2000, I remember combing through the reviews for leads and looking for names of bands in the articles. It wasn't very much to go on, but it's all we had. Terrorizer was the one to get when you could get it, seemed like sometimes they'd have it at the book store newsstand and sometimes they just wouldn't. Unless they just issued the magazine erratically and didn't put one out some months.

16 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

When did you get internet access? 

Internet access? Man, I was a poor kid with not a penny to my name.  I could use school computers but no such thing as downloading until things like Napster and Torrents.   

My main source of music was friends and cassette tapes.  Except after about 1994 most of them didn't listen to metal hence scrounging second hand store and begging my father for occasional $5-$8 to buy a second hand CD or a trio of TDK 90 minute tapes.  

Hence I listened mainly to 1980s and early 1990s stuff.

A funny fact, to this day I have never owned a computer or had the internet connected in my name. 

21 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Internet access? Man, I was a poor kid with not a penny to my name.  I could use school computers but no such thing as downloading until things like Napster and Torrents.   

My main source of music was friends and cassette tapes.  Except after about 1994 most of them didn't listen to metal hence scrounging second hand store and begging my father for occasional $5-$8 to buy a second hand CD or a trio of TDK 90 minute tapes.  

Hence I listened mainly to 1980s and early 1990s stuff.

A funny fact, to this day I have never owned a computer or had the internet connected in my name. 

Not even a laptop or a Chromebook, a tablet, nothing? That's wild. You come on the forum just on your phone if you're not at the office? But how, if you don't have wi-fi? How were you playing Red Dead Redemption that time a couple years ago, on a console?

Man I'd be lost without my computer, it's where I've kept all my music for the last 20 years. I do everything on my computer. I have a TV here as well 1 meter away from me but I don't even turn it on, I don't even have the cable box hooked up to it. If I watch anything I'll generally do it on the computer.

34 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Not even a laptop or a Chromebook, a tablet, nothing? That's wild. You come on the forum just on your phone if you're not at the office? But how, if you don't have wi-fi? How were you playing Red Dead Redemption that time a couple years ago, on a console?

Man I'd be lost without my computer, it's where I've kept all my music for the last 20 years. I do everything on my computer. I have a TV here as well 1 meter away from me but I don't even turn it on, I don't even have the cable box hooked up to it. If I watch anything I'll generally do it on the computer.

I have never owned a laptop or tablet.   

I use a work owned computer when I am at work, phone at home and play games on a PS4.

My phone has 150 GB monthly data plan (wife has 100). We use phones as mobile hot spots when we want to stream something on Netflix or whatever.  All pretty cheap - AUD$122 per month 

We generally don't use all our data allocation either.