Up Coming DOOM Releases

NTNR

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is their best album but my fav track is 'Dead Emotion'. It's just more intense. His voice will probably never be what it was. He spent to long destroying it for that, but the mere fact he was growling at all and in a fashion similar to how he sang that all those years ago gives me hope for their next studio release and live shows. He's such a horrible clean vocalist. He butchers his songs live and if they go back to how they were the songs will come through a lot better.

• 3 weeks later...
The rarities from Tragic Illusion are' date=' barring 3, all previously released on other compilations which begs the question what exactly is the point?[/quote'] In a word, marketing. Nothing wrong with that - collectors who weren't there the first time around get a nice package, people who really want the new recordings have something to look forward to. I just want the new version of Gothic.

Re: Up Coming DOOM Releases

I'm not going to buy something for three tracks (at best). I'll just buy the tracks individually (iTunes does have it's upside)
You're not Mike, he has multiple versions of many albums from the Peaceville 3 just so he can have those bonus tracks. This is Paradise Lost, Mike will always own everything they release. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

But they're still previously released rarities other then the aforementioned three tracks. To be honest I've never much cared for such releases in any case. Generally I feel if something wasn't put on an album there's a reason behind such decisions. Releasing them in some tacky compilation just to grab money from people seems like more of a record company decision then one of the band themselves.

But they're still previously released rarities other then the aforementioned three tracks. To be honest I've never much cared for such releases in any case. Generally I feel if something wasn't put on an album there's a reason behind such decisions. Releasing them in some tacky compilation just to grab money from people seems like more of a record company decision then one of the band themselves.
You're making a mistake here. Albums aren't the be-all end-all of a band's output even if we tend to regard them as canonical. Sometimes really great tracks are left off by the band because they don't fit stylistically or for pacing reasons, or because of length, and just as often it's the record company that demands certain things and not others on a full-length. Bands keep riffs and ideas knocking around for years sometimes before finding the right song for them, so you're always dealing with an amalgam anyway. The full-length album is a great format for bands to say what they have to say, but it's not always the whole story.

I get that. I just don't like compilations of all that material. I tend to avoid buying them for reasons of quality control. Not all the tracks on releases of this type deserve to be released (at least in general). Half the tracks may be very good but will often feel unfinished. I just find such things off-putting. I'm willing to miss out on some unreleased gems to avoid the tracks which should never see the light of day.

I get that. I just don't like compilations of all that material. I tend to avoid buying them for reasons of quality control. Not all the tracks on releases of this type deserve to be released (at least in general). Half the tracks may be very good but will often feel unfinished. I just find such things off-putting. I'm willing to miss out on some unreleased gems to avoid the tracks which should never see the light of day.
I disagree, I love comps like this that collect alternate/unreleased versions, tracks that were only previously available on demos/EPs/splits, etc... It's nice to have a compendium of stuff you can't get (at least not without spending a lot) elsewhere. If there were only 3 songs here that were new to me, I might not bother, but I don't think it's ruling out simply because it's not a full length. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

My understanding is that the rarities are tracks released on previous comp cds that's what I'm getting at here.
To that end, sure, it only benefits Mike 3 tracks. I don't have any of their other rarity/b-side comps, nor do I have the European/Japanese versions which may have included these as bonus tracks, so I think everything on this comp would be new to me and most other PL fans. I haven't checked out any of the material on it though, so I can't comment on the quality. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...