Recommended Black Metal bands?

stuarthall95

Re: Recommended Black Metal bands? Dunno if it still matters, but I have some nice depressive recommendations too. Check them out : Kkoagulaa Nekros Silencer Nae'blis Nykstagia Gravdal Livsnedad In Lingua Mortua Manes Diabolicum The Vision Bleak Funeral Dirge Glorior Belli Of course, the classics, Shining, Bethlehem, Leviathan..

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Recommended Black Metal bands?

Dunno if it still matters, but I have some nice depressive recommendations too. Check them out : Kkoagulaa Nekros Silencer Nae'blis Nykstagia Gravdal Livsnedad In Lingua Mortua Manes Diabolicum The Vision Bleak Funeral Dirge Glorior Belli Of course, the classics, Shining, Bethlehem, Leviathan..
Awesome recommends!

Re: Recommended Black Metal bands?

For depressive stuff' date=' my favorites are Bethlehem, Shining, Forgotten Tomb, Abyssic Hate, Dolorian, Leviathan, and Nortt. Admittedly, I'm not an expert on this genre, as this style has taken off recently and I'm not very good with newer bands from any genre, I tend to focus mostly on the originators. I could use a few recommendations myself, I suppose...[/quote'] I've actually heard most of those bands by now with the exception of Nortt, Leviathan just sound average to me. There isn't anything special about there music other than a few supposedly "haunting riffs", and Abyssic Hate are one of the worst black metal bands I've ever heard.

Re: Recommended Black Metal bands? I disagree, I really like their Suicidal Emotions album, it's sort of like a really drawn out Burzum album with a self destructive mission. I also like Leviathan a great deal, because they don't follow the expected path of melodies and atmosphere mixed with shitty production to create the "suicidal" feel, they do it with riffs instead. I find that there are few bands that operate that way in this field, as even though riffs are more present in black/doom hybrids, there are still tons of melodic breaks and atmospheric passages to be found. Also, Nortt is pretty awesome, give Graven or Ligfaerd a listen, and try not to write them off as "just another funeral doom band".

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, I'm looking for a band or bands that have quite a specific sound, one with fast guitar and slow to mid-paced drums and vocals. Basically something that sounds like heavy-duty machinery. Funeral Mist and latter day Marduk are the closest thing I can think of but they're just not quite there. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps you could spring for a bit of Meshuggah and Fear Factory, although the latter has quicker drums. Duobetic Homonkulus is also a very mechanical-sounding technical death metal group. I've also heard a bit of O.L.D. and I didn't like them at all, but they do indeed sound like machinery and have a raw edge to them as well.

Re: Looking for a band.

Perhaps you could spring for a bit of Meshuggah and Fear Factory' date=' although the latter has quicker drums. Duobetic Homonkulus is also a very mechanical-sounding technical death metal group. I've also heard a bit of O.L.D. and I didn't like them at all, but they do indeed sound like machinery and have a raw edge to them as well.[/quote'] I've been looking for O.L.D.'s first album for a long time, hope I can find it some day. As far as the request, I'll post some mechanical sounding stuff when I get to my computer at work tomorrow, hopefully something will match up. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Perhaps you could spring for a bit of Meshuggah and Fear Factory' date=' although the latter has quicker drums. Duobetic Homonkulus is also a very mechanical-sounding technical death metal group. I've also heard a bit of O.L.D. and I didn't like them at all, but they do indeed sound like machinery and have a raw edge to them as well.[/quote'] O.L.D sound interesting and I must give Fear Factory a proper listen, my cousin was telling me to check them out too. Meshuggah aren't really to my taste though and Duobetic Homonkulus just sound schizophrenic! Thanks for the recomendations.

I'll give this a shot, let me know how I do: Aborym - U.V. Impaler: v_Qu7LQhRJ8 Aborym are an Italian band that combine black metal with industrial and electronic music. Most bands don't put much into the combination, falling largely to one side or the other, but Aborym synthesizes both elements well with a pretty equal share from each. Very electronic and mechanical sounding, and with Attila Csihar on vocals. Anaal Nathrakh - Submission is For the Weak: g6_MMo4rKFY Anaal Nathrakh are a black/grindcore band, but they were at their most black metal here, on the debut album The Codex Necro. They've always had a mechanical feel to them, which could be attributed to the drum machine and the processed vocals. The drums are quite fast though, so I'm not sure if this will scratch that itch or not. Anorexia Nervosa - Spiritu Fornicationis: bpAxi0___Ds Anorexia Nervosa were pretty well known as a French symphonic black metal band, However, they released an album prior to becoming symphonic that was a pretty demented sounding industrial metal band with black metal and gothic influences. It's pretty vile and mechanical sounding stuff, I can't really think of anything else that sounds like it. Asphyx - Asphyx (Forgotten War): XiMUjZPa4Sg Asphyx are a Dutch death metal band with a lyrical focus on war. Their music sounds mechanical in a sense, like a tank slowly rolling over the top of you. Probably not on the mark, but this was honestly the first thing I thought of when you described what you were looking for. Slow drums, grinding feel, heavy machinery, etc..., but most of the examples you used were black metal, so I don't know about this one. Blut Aus Nord - The Choir of the Dead: oOI72uJYd5Y Blut Aus Nord were an old school French black metal band that took on some industrial elements after a few albums, forming a sound that's equally mechanical and creepy. Many of the songs on this album have that bleak, early industrial feel, similar to Godflesh. Really unique and bizarre sound here, and one of my favorite albums to boot. December Wolves - Desperately Seeking Satan: tTjYa8zYJlk December Wolves are a US black metal band that got more and more modern and cold/mechanical sounding throughout their career. This is from their last album, which is an intense blast of very fast and grinding black metal. There are lots of samples used, and there are a number of processed effects and other electronic elements that give this a less human feel. I stopped before doing any other because I feel like I'm not on the right track. Hopefully I can get a bit more insight from you before continuing.

Duobetic Homonkulus just sound schizophrenic!
See now that particular bit of feedback is something I'd typically take as a compliment to the band. Usually whenever someone says 'this band is just totally insane' my first thought is MUST LISTEN IMMEDIATELY. I still have a certain threshold, some of Mike Patton's work is a little too weird for me, but by and large I like odd bands. Just to add to BAN's a bit: Blut Aus Nord's later work is a little more rhythmic but still very interesting and eerie.

nah Blut Aus Nord are way too strange Iceni the only machinery they could possibly sound like doesn't exist yet
That depends entirely on what era you're talking about. obviously BAN has a better knowledge of their material than I do, but their earliest work actually sounds a bit folky. I'd compare it to Belenos. Consistency is a good point to bring up: Bran Barr only have two albums out and the first one is very stereotypical black metal that I really didn't care for at all. Maybe it's a bit unfair to put Renascent at the top of my list since they only have one album out. I'll have to research more Crimson Moonlight.

That depends entirely on what era you're talking about. obviously BAN has a better knowledge of their material than I do, but their earliest work actually sounds a bit folky. I'd compare it to Belenos. Consistency is a good point to bring up: Bran Barr only have two albums out and the first one is very stereotypical black metal that I really didn't care for at all. Maybe it's a bit unfair to put Renascent at the top of my list since they only have one album out. I'll have to research more Crimson Moonlight.
There are some folky melodies on the first album, but the second album is more riffy and avant-garde, though not really mechanical sounding. That started with their third album, The Mystical Beast of Rebellion, a sound that has been furthered with just a few exceptions (the ambient MoRT, the continuation of Memoria Vetusta's sound with the sequel, and the vinyl only Liber I & II which are more vicious old school black metal). Indeed, it does sound like it was made by machines not of this world, there's definitely an esoteric and mystical feel to accompany the cold mechanical sound.

Blut aus Nord are unreal! One of my favorite bands through all their changes. Their stuff can be quite mechanical but also so other-worldly. It took me a while to appreciate The Work Which Transforms God propperly, it wasn't until I had gone and listened to some of their more melodic work that I could come back and hear how good it was. I've been listening to 777 Cosmosophy quite a bit since I got it and it's a very visual album for me. On one listen in particular I imagined myself high in the mountains in central asia where Blut aus Nord had built a temple to which wisebeings of alien species would come in their ships, to converse with them and listen to them perform their music. BAN don't really sound like what I'm searching for though, they're too finessed. They are mechanical in a well-oiled precise way whereas what I'm looking for sounds like the machinery is slowly tearing it's self appart. But I could imagine some BAN style bent chords perhaps. As for the other bands you posted: Aborym- They sound decent but don't really grab me. Anaal Nathrakh- Pretty good. Has some of the vibe of the sound I have in mind but is reletively musically different. Anorexia Nervosa- Ok but unexceptional. Asphyx- I like these guys and their sound is a bit like what I'm searching for. I can see what you mean about it sounding like getting run over by a tank. December Wolves- These guys are good, must listen to this album in full. Their sound isn't that close to what I had in mind though.

See now that particular bit of feedback is something I'd typically take as a compliment to the band. Usually whenever someone says 'this band is just totally insane' my first thought is MUST LISTEN IMMEDIATELY. I still have a certain threshold' date=' some of Mike Patton's work is a little too weird for me, but by and large I like odd bands. Just to add to BAN's a bit: Blut Aus Nord's later work is a little more rhythmic but still very interesting and eerie.[/quote'] I meant that the composition doesn't make any sense to me. I like odd bands too and I'm not pissed off if a song doesn't follow a verse/chorus/verse/chorus/verse format but I like to have an overall theme that subsiquent passages expand upon.

I meant that the composition doesn't make any sense to me. I like odd bands too and I'm not pissed off if a song doesn't follow a verse/chorus/verse/chorus/verse format but I like to have an overall theme that subsiquent passages expand upon.
I know what you're talking about, there's this one Duobetic Homonkulus song that goes more or less straight tech-death for the entire track and then at the end breaks into this odd and very poppy bit that surprisingly didn't sound terrible. Did you listen to a number of songs by them? That track is sort of the exception.

First time I only listened to that one but I went back and listened to a few other tracks. I like some of what they're doing but they're not really the kind of thing I'd go out of my way to listen to. I think I know the track you're on about with the pop ending, that was quite funny.