Technical Death Metal

Iceni

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Technical Death Metal

I was having a debate on another forum about this exact thing. Admittedly it came about originally as a discussion on genre evolution but still. Something does not need blast beats and tremolo riffs with rubbish production to be black metal.
Black metal was not that, from its inception in the early 80's until '94 when Transylvanian Hunger got tons of attention. In the mid to late 90's, that style surged and created a ton of copycats, with most other black metal sounds dying off or evolving into something else. That is not to say that it's a bad album itself, nor that bands can't succeed in that style, I just hate how it came to narrow the focus of black metal and create rules for it that it never should have had. This had nothing to do with Darkthrone though, it was the metal media and fans that changed this view, Darkthrone themselves never made another album like it. The same goes fo Suffocation' Pierced From Within with death metal, or Slayer with Reign in Blood for thrash. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I've met lots of fans of one specific genre who are very easily thrown off by anything that doesn't "fit in" in their opinion. The death metal people hate clean vocals, the black metal people hate breakdowns of any kind, the grind people can't abide melody... generally as people get older it becomes less of an issue, at least in my experience. I've had some success with winning people over, though in some cases it's taken years.

Maybe this is unrelated... I've heard people throw around the term "math metal". Is it related to technical death metal? In keeping with the thread, my fave in the genre is Cryptopsyyyyyyyy \m/ \m/ I also enjoy Nile and Necrophagist. Some bands listed that I haven't checked out yet so I will be sure to. Thanks all.

Yeah' date=' I've met lots of fans of one specific genre who are very easily thrown off by anything that doesn't "fit in" in their opinion. The death metal people hate clean vocals, the black metal people hate breakdowns of any kind, the grind people can't abide melody... generally as people get older it becomes less of an issue, at least in my experience. I've had some success with winning people over, though in some cases it's taken years.[/quote'] This is incredibly well stated. A generalization to be sure, but right on the money. I find that more and more I enjoy the company of people whose taste in metal is diverse and tolerant, open minded even. Knee-jerk reactions to a breakdown or a clean vocal I think reflect more on the listener's insecurity, fear of being judged for appreciating music outside of its "tr00est" form.

You might like Gorod and more showy bands like Viraemia' date=' Rings of Saturn, Commit Suicide, and Cyaegha. Commit Suicide really aren't as bombastic as those shitty bands, but if you like technical flashiness then you'll like the aforementioned acts.[/quote'] I really like Rings of Saturn 0.o Pretty cool new-to-me band. TY!

I think Math Metal is similar to metalcore i'm not 100% sure though' date=' haven't really heard much of it :/[/quote'] Think Meshuggah, or other bands that play in weird time signatures and use polyrhythms (which is where you're playing two or more time signatures at the same time). Not bands that just kind of sound like Meshuggah and use lots of random chugging... King Crimson. They play a lot of "Math" music.

Think Meshuggah, or other bands that play in weird time signatures and use polyrhythms (which is where you're playing two or more time signatures at the same time). Not bands that just kind of sound like Meshuggah and use lots of random chugging... King Crimson. They play a lot of "Math" music.
At first I thought it was people growling out complicated algebra equasions to blast beats and thrashy guitars :D

Which tech death metal bands that should be hearing on the first time for the beginner? i suggest band like spawn of possesion and decrepith birth' date=' hbu guys?[/quote'] Start at the start. Atheist, Cynic, Atrocity, Gorguts, Hellwitch, Demilich, Death's Human and Individual Thought Patterns, etc... Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

For the tech-death beginner I'd suggest bands like Arsis' date=' Quo Vadis and Miseration.[/quote'] i'll add Martyr and maybe Gorod to that list...i haven't heard Miseration, but showing the more melodic tech death might be the best starting point...then move on to the crazy shit afterwords.

Revocation has never done anything for me, they seem really empty sounding. For tech thrash, check out Vektor, Coroner, Realm, Watchtower, Artillery, etc... Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Coroner is pure thrash metal style w/ some technically part riff, but i assummed they hasn't included death metal characteristic which is revocation had done with their music.. correct if i'm wrong... but i just dont know wherever that you want to claimed. I just wanna know anything from u'all here

Having heard a few Revocation songs I'd say they're alright' date=' can't see them becoming part of my collection anytime soon though as I probably wouldn't sit through an entire album of theirs.[/quote'] Wow, which one do you favorite? i'd love to their recent album.. so far so good... and what is underrated death metal band which we should be hearing for the beginner? I just want to know from the master like you. LOL

Coroner is pure thrash metal style w/ some technically part riff, but i assummed they hasn't included death metal characteristic which is revocation had done with their music.. correct if i'm wrong... but i just dont know wherever that you want to claimed. I just wanna know anything from u'all here
You said tech thrash, I listed tech thrash. No death metal in that last list of bands. And yes, Coroner is very technical thrash, listen to anything on Punishment for Decadence if you want examples. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

As I said Revocation are only alright not a favourite of mine and they never will be. I don't care about them enough to waste money on an album I may only listen to once at best. So far as under-rated death metal is concerned I'm probably not the person for that but let's see what I can contribute: Merciless Necrosanct Element Kronos Sympathy Brutality Gorefest Hellwitch Slaughter Lord Incubus (the sick death/thrash band not to be confused with the musical abortion of the same name) Morgoth

Eh. I'm listening to Revocation now - only heard them once before at a friend's now. Yeah, I guess they don't belong in this thread. To be fair I do hear death metal parts here and there and as usual I feel like the dividing line isn't so clear to begin with. But I'm reacting poorly to the production, don't care for the vocals... not sure why I don't like it, it's got a lot of elements I should like, but to me it kind of sounds like more trendy bullshit. I think a lot of what I'm reacting to is the vocals, honestly. Is it the "Melissa Cross" school? Is that what I hate?:D

As I said Revocation are only alright not a favourite of mine and they never will be. I don't care about them enough to waste money on an album I may only listen to once at best. So far as under-rated death metal is concerned I'm probably not the person for that but let's see what I can contribute: Merciless Necrosanct Element Kronos Sympathy Brutality Gorefest Hellwitch Slaughter Lord Incubus (the sick death/thrash band not to be confused with the musical abortion of the same name) Morgoth
yeah, i see you one of the great taste in it ( i mean in this beautifully death metal terms) so i just clarify about death metal to the one who very loved this terms. Wow, that list it's so perfectly as fuck, i have heard some band in that chart. Such as Kronos, Morgoth & Hellwitch Wow, have you seen them in live concert? i stay too far away from USA. if I lived there in USA, i would catch & watch all of the metal gig that showed some underrated tech death metal band which very different with the mainstream death metal like necrophagist or nile.. Where do you live?
Eh. I'm listening to Revocation now - only heard them once before at a friend's now. Yeah, I guess they don't belong in this thread. To be fair I do hear death metal parts here and there and as usual I feel like the dividing line isn't so clear to begin with. But I'm reacting poorly to the production, don't care for the vocals... not sure why I don't like it, it's got a lot of elements I should like, but to me it kind of sounds like more trendy bullshit. I think a lot of what I'm reacting to is the vocals, honestly. Is it the "Melissa Cross" school? Is that what I hate?:D
yeah man.. so thats why i asks that with you all here.. :cool: