Books?

NTNR

Re: Books?

another Stephen King fan' date=' oh we could hijack this thread quite easily lol, seriously though which do you prefer King's short stories or his full length works?[/quote'] Either way, although I do think some of his books are unnecessarily long. I'm not opposed to long books at all, but they've got to keep the reader's attention, and all those extra words should be there for a reason. I think he gets a little carried away at times in that regard. On the other hand, he doesn't plot anything out, he makes it up as he goes along(According to "On Writing," anyway), so I can see how he might end up with 800 pages.

Re: Books? I never over-plot before starting, just a senario, characters, beginning, ending and a rough idea of what happens in between, as I have to go with the flow to a certain extent, sensing what feels right or what would be good next, and also I find that I need time to let the characters imbed themselves in my mind. P.S. As the books thread has re-opened I am reading the Hunger Games and loving it! Recommend! :D

Re: Books? I only write for fun, I don't think anything I've done is all that great. not the point, the point is that I just get an idea and start writing, I don't know where it'll end up until I get there, its a totally different approach to when I'm writing lyrics where I know exactly what tone I want to convey and set about working around that P.S. reading Red Dragon for about the dozenth time, just can't get enough of Hannibal Lecter

I love Harry Potter' date=' Stephen King, Douglas Adams, hard sci-fi stuff like old Arthur C. Clarke, some Anne Rice... My tastes vary. I have a book out that loosely falls under the "horror" umbrella. I won't promote it here because I'm here to talk about metal and not to be a spammer. :lol:[/quote'] Very big of you :lol: But I'd actually like to hear about it. ;)

• 1 month later...

Re: Books? Don't get a chance to read as much as I used to, but my favourites are PG Woodehouse, Stephen King and the Sherlock Homes stories. What I like best is the sheer cleverness of the Homes and especially Jeeves & Wooster stories. Also quite enjoyed some of the Flashman stories (George MacDonald Fraser) but felt they didn't have the clever twists of Woodehouse (for use of the English language Woodehouse is unbeatable). classics are good too: Dickens, Tom Brown's Schooldays and Robinson Crusoe are terrific stories, brilliantly written.

Sherlock Holmes is very good indeed and I agree on Wodehouse's use of language!
The Homes short stories are fantastic-pick up the complete works for pennies nowadays (the old Northumberland Hotel in London is now called the Sherlock Homes pub and is a great old place, with loads of Homes stuff all over it). And Wodehouse is a scream-not just the Jeeves stories. One of my favourites is the short stories 'Young Men In Spats' and the Golf stories omnibus. Wodehouse always seems to write about lovable, upper class English twits who get into all manner of scrapes and japes. Comedy writing at it's best IMO. Not very metal, mind you. But HRH Lemmy loves them.

Does he indeed' date=' how interesting?![/quote'] The old b@stard's always reading (especially on tour) and I read an interview with him where he was singing the praises of PG Wodehouse. Another brilliantly written series of books is 'Rumpole of the Bailey' by John Mortimer. (see above reference to lovable middle class eccentrics) About a mad old barrister who railed against his stuffy colleagues, Mortimer was himself a barrister and successfully defended the Sex Pistols against charges of indecency because of the 'Never Mind The Bollocks' album title.

I'd heard of Rumpole but I didn't know that! You're a mine of information gus666! P.S. Are you on Goodreads.com?
Hi Strat! No, sorry, not a member of that. Not really a mine of anything, ma auld party frock! Just an auld c@nt that remembers things he likes-music, good books, Scottish football (when it was good-the football that is). I'm not really a bookie person, but I like the classics and there's some brilliant modern books (Rumpole for one) that should be lauded as a classic. Very, very clever. Never read Irvine Welsh in full, but I don't like what I see; shock tactics and easy 'ratings' by a wannabe Hibs football casual. Not very clever IMO.

Re: Books? Ah well. On the subject of Footy, I have to say there was a time a few years back when Scotland were showing so much heart against France and Italy in the Euro qualifiers that I was more interested in them going through than England (not that I was exactly watching as I'm not a great football fan to say the least :lol:). But then they blew it and started acting all imature. Very sad and, as you are a fan, I can only commiserate with you. Never even heard of Irvine Welsh but I'll take your word for it!

I like Welsh's books, it's not all football, in fact there's very little. I find football slow & dull, internationals are even slower.
I was meaning the man rather than his books, Satan. Just my opinion, only started reading one of his books and got fed up with it. Interesting thread, this-the usual suspects are named but a few unusual ones too! :P

• 2 months later...

What do you like to read? I love swedish thrillers, like the Stieg Larsson trilogy or the Mankell series. Also a big fan of Terry Pratchett. Older stuff I like to read are Shakespeare and a lot of medieval stuff, mainly about the Arthurian legends. It's quite fascinating to follow how those evolved over the centuries.

Books

What do you like to read? I love swedish thrillers, like the Stieg Larsson trilogy or the Mankell series. Also a big fan of Terry Pratchett. Older stuff I like to read are Shakespeare and a lot of medieval stuff, mainly about the Arthurian legends. It's quite fascinating to follow how those evolved over the centuries.
I get Classic Rock and Classic And Sports Car magazine monthly. And i'm reading Lemmy's AutoBiography at the moment.

Re: Books Stephen King, HP Lovecraft, Edgar Allen Poe, basically any tale of the macabre and the horrible I'll read also classic works of literature like Frankenstein, Dracula, Animal Farm, Brave New World, 1984 oh and I'm currently reading Dante's Divine Comedy and writing lyrics about the nine circles of hell

Re: Books Well I just finished watching Dexter Season 6 and it was a bit of a shocker actually. I think the writers are struggling to find good storylines. In the books Doakes, Rita, Brian (Dexters brother) are all still alive whereas they've been killed off in the series. Also in the books Deb knows about Dexter's nocturnal activities (although at the end of season 6 she now knows as well).