Books?

NTNR

Re: Books? I started reading; Book One of the Grimnoir Chronicles: Hard Magic, and so far I'm not to impressed. Here's the synopsis: Jake Sullivan is a war hero, a private eye—and an ex-con. He’s free because he has a magical talent, being able to alter the force of gravity in himself and objects in his vicinity, and the Bureau of Investigation calls on him when they need his help in apprehending criminals with their own magical talents. But the last operation he was sent along to help with went completely wrong, and Delilah Jones, the woman the G-men were after, who just happened to be an old friend of Jake’s in happier times, had a lot of magical muscle with her, too much muscle for the cops to handle, even with Jake’s help. I hope it starts getting better soon. I'm only to chapter three as of now.

Re: Books? they're few and far between, especially now with that gay twilight franchise completely bastardising vampire lore, vampires aren't meant to be the in thing, they're creatures of the night which feed on human blood, exactly how does that image lend itself to tales of romance? (I'm kind of interested in various mythologies and lores so it really bugs me to see what franchises like underworld and twilight have done to vampires)

Re: Books?

they're few and far between' date=' especially now with that gay twilight franchise completely bastardizing vampire lore, vampires aren't meant to be the in thing, they're creatures of the night which feed on human blood, exactly how does that image lend itself to tales of romance? (I'm kind of interested in various mythologies and lores so it really bugs me to see what franchises like underworld and twilight have done to vampires)[/quote'] Underworld was amazing! That was the best Vampire/Werewolf movie I've ever seen. I'm worried that the fourth installment will suck but I'm going to see it anyway. Twilight was awful and written by some loser from my state. We need more movies like Underworld.

Re: Books? I enjoyed the first Harry Potter books, but then I was only about 10, by the time the 5th book came out I was losing interest. I thought they got very 'samey' towards the end. LOTR is one of the few books I've ever given up reading, I keep thinking about trying to read it again, but there are a lot of books higher on my list. Anna Karenina is the next one after I finish Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett. I like to try to read a range of different things.

Next check I plan on getting the Quran after I finish the book of 5 rings' date=' I want to read it for once just to see what the religion is like myself.[/quote'] I considered doing this myself, though I've never got round to doing so. I definitely think it's a good idea to look into these things before you make a decision on them.

Re: Books? on the subject of religious texts (sorry haven't figured out how to use quotes yet) a lot of what they preach is really just being kind to each other and the like and that is why I don't buy into the whole religious thing, I see no point in going to a church or other place of worship to either hear someone preaching about how we're all going to burn in hell unless we do this or that, or someone preaching about who this supposedly omnipotent deity wants us to do live in such a way that is common sense anyway, although seems at times contrary to human nature. Some of the more out there stuff that many "holy" documents preach really is contrary to human nature, and that too makes no sense. anyway getting back on topic I'm currently reading Stephen King's Christine, I was hoping the book would be better then that dreadful movie but sadly it really isn't

Re: Books? actually got curious and read the satanic bible recently, it too is a pile of horse shit, I cannot understand how a "counter-religion" can make even less sense then the religions it is opposed to. think from now on I'm giving up on virtually all books with religious connotations (Dante's Divine Comedy excluded)

actually got curious and read the satanic bible recently' date=' it too is a pile of horse shit, I cannot understand how a "counter-religion" can make even less sense then the religions it is opposed to. think from now on I'm giving up on virtually all books with religious connotations (Dante's Divine Comedy excluded)[/quote'] I read the Satanic bible too, it should've been called the book of common sense. That's pretty much what it was.

Re: Books? I did agree with a lot of it, I just don't think there's any real need for a religion to tell us something which any individual of moderate or better intellect would realise makes perfect sense. I did take a lot of what it said to heart but I don't consider myself a "satanist", like I said the human race does not need religion telling us what is in essence natural behaviour

Re: Books? nah I probably should have expressed my point more clearly, the one thing that really caught my attention in the satanic bible was the discussion on how the "white" religions use guilt as a means of control, it really made me think about just how easily humans can be manipulated, understanding and using emotions to ones advantage can be a very powerful means of controlling others hey this is post number 666 for me, how metal is that

Mmf. Avoid theologically inclined authors and you miss out on a lot of good stuff. Milton, Homer, and Dostoyevsky stand out. Anyhow, I've been trying to read the Qur'an and it's kinda dense and is difficult to follow.
Milton and Alighieri are the only ones of that genera worth reading.