Books?

NTNR

Re: Books? I love reading books, ;D mostly Fantasy, i guess, I'm trying to write my own, it's hard >:/, My favorite book/s is the Eragon Series, he 4th book coming out this November:D i've read The Harry Potter Series to, Both in Swedish and english, but i have to say, not my kind of book, I like the movies tho^^

Re: Books?

I love reading books, ;D mostly Fantasy, i guess, I'm trying to write my own, it's hard >:/, My favorite book/s is the Eragon Series, he 4th book coming out this November:D i've read The Harry Potter Series to, Both in Swedish and english, but i have to say, not my kind of book, I like the movies tho^^
HP manages the remarkable feat of being in high school yet somehow still being awesome. Deathly Hallows, and before that Prisoner of Azkaban, are my favorites. Of the movies, I liked Prisoner of Azkaban, Half-Blood Prince, and Deathly Hallows I and II (as one work, because Part II does not stand alone without Part I). I have to say though, Ron and Ginny got really shortchanged on screen time and Ginny in particular lacked character development. She's downright awesome in the books though. I also try to write my own fiction, and I totally agree, it's quite hard. Everything I do seems very unrealistic since I try to deal with war themes (I rarely finish a story, though) even though I have never been in the military or caught in a war. I also have trouble with writing believable dialogue... :| Problem is, I get great ideas but I cannot properly implement them...ah, well, at least I'm getting a bit better with practice. Sounds like my guitar playing.

Mostly into true crime /History books, Some recommendations: Lords of chaos (for black metal fans), Angels of Death (an insight to the Hells Angels), Hitlers henchmen, The simon Wiesenthal Story: the nazi hunter.
Funny, I watched several back-to-back episodes of Gangland the other night. Good show if you want to know about gangs here in the US...and trust me, there are a lot. As for true crime, I do like watching that on TV. How true to life it actually is might be up for discussion, but I always liked NCIS, Criminal Minds, and Law And Order. The book 'The Forever War' by Dexter Filkin's quite interesting; he talks about his experiences with soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq, and to a lesser extent Somalia.

Right now I'm reading A Clockwork Orange in my free time. And I'm kinda in love with it. Also, I just finished reading Fahrenheit 451, which was a pretty fine book. I really love novels that are based off utopias gone wrong. Heh.
Good taste indeed. The concept of being punished for hate speech puts me in mind of 1984. Honestly though, I need to read Brave New World one of these days. My mother read some of it to me and it seems a much more accurate picture of how a dystopia could emerge from modern values.

Re: Books? @Iceni: I've been meaning to read that book, as well! I honestly don't know why I haven't, I think I have a copy of it somewhere in the massive piles of books in my closet. (I really need to look through all of those books, one day. Haha.) @Dilated: I've actually never heard of that series, but I searched it, and it does look fairly interesting. I may have to pick up one of the books someday. :)

This is a good topic... have any of you guys read any RA Salvatore? Man he is so awesome. I love the Drizzt books. I read 7 books in the time it would normally take me to read one!
I've read several of his books but stopped reading towards the end of Siege of Darkness his writing just got way too predictable. I've been meaning to finish it and Passage to Dawn because I paid for them and may as well finish them, but it's hard. I've debated picking up other Forgotten Realms books but ultimately haven't.

Also' date=' I just finished reading Fahrenheit 451, which was a pretty fine book. I really love novels that are based off utopias gone wrong. Heh.[/quote'] Unfortunately, of that category, I only know "The Giver". It's okay, but too unrealistic, and not the good kind of unrealistic like fantasy, but it rather pretends everything is perfect, but then you find out they've done all sorts of magical stuff to people to create a utopia (or rather dystopia). Silly book.

From what passages I heard from Brave New World it is quite realistic. It seems quite feasible because it's small advances in technology with large changes in the modus operandi. Just see how they rear children and you'll get a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.

Re: Books? I am currently reading Mark Billingham's Lifeless which is part of a crime series involving DI Tom Thorne. Whch also has been made into a hit TV show which i have never seen actually..... anyway i suggest you guys read these books if your into crime like i am. (No i don't mean i condone crime btw)

I am currently rark Billingham's Lifeless which is part of a crime series involving DI Tom Thorne. Whch also has been made into a hit TV show which i have never seen actually..... anyway i suggest you guys read these books if your into crime like i am. (No i don't mean i condone crime btw)
If you were a criminal or condoned crime I seriously doubt you'd say so. But crime TV shows are often the only thing I can watch - everything else is usually annoying, boring or both.

Agreed but these are good as they have different "types" of killers and methods instead of the usual slash until you drop.
That's what is great about 'Criminal Minds'. It tries to delve into the motivation of the killer. The only problem is that more recently the killers have gotten more and more deranged until it just seems rather implausible.

I hate it when that happens because most killers in real life are actually perfectly sane and have genuine reasons to do so (if not their own)
For once I want to see a methodical killer who isn't insane and isn't just motivated by money or a deep-seated rivalry with the main character. Someone who actually has a legitimate grievance. Also he should not take hostages...that's getting very old nowadays. Maybe he could be a bit like the Punisher.