Books?

NTNR

• 5 weeks later...
While I support that goal' date=' I'm amazed that you would think it's worth your time, given the book's provenance.[/quote'] While Mormonism is the one religion I can absolutely prove is false, I'd like to punch some more holes in it. Again, I might not end up doing anything, I have a Qur'an as well and I've read very little of it.

Re: Books?

While Mormonism is the one religion I can absolutely prove is false' date=' I'd like to punch some more holes in it. Again, I might not end up doing anything, I have a Qur'an as well and I've read very little of it.[/quote'] Yeah, you don't really have to do much research to disprove that cult. Considering Joseph Smith stuck his head into a hat and created the whole book extemporaneously, it's a wonder it doesn't have more holes. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah' date=' you don't really have to do much research to disprove that cult. Considering Joseph Smith stuck his head into a hat and created the whole book extemporaneously, it's a wonder it doesn't have more holes.[/quote'] Actually, my copy has eyewitness accounts from others saying the tablets did exist. My question is whether they can be viewed in the big temple in Salt Lake City, or at all.

Chain of evidence.
I'm also very suspicious of the fact that Mormonism seems to believe that Jesus was actually the son of God and then somehow thinks that his sacrifice wasn't enough of a covenant. It's not like Islam there they believe he was switched with Judas Iscariot at the last minute, or that he just wasn't crucified at all (both of which seem pretty dubious) - they say they believe everything in the Bible is true...which I suppose includes Revelations 22:18: "I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book..."

• 2 weeks later...
Don't give up, skip ahead, there's some good stuff in The Silmarillion. Definitely dry, though. Ever read Frank Herbert's "Dune" books or Roger Zelazny's "Chronicles Of Amber"?
I actually just bought House Harkonnen a couple days ago and have been reading that. I think Dune is an awesome series so far. I also get caught up reading multiple books at once. Currently on book 10 on Out of the Ashes series. Also reading the Runelords saga (book 3) as well as S. King's The Stand.

As far as the Dune series goes, the original six books are where it's at. Frank Herbert was a fucking genius. I don't mind the prequels that his son did, but the continuations, the "seventh" and "eighth" books that he wrote, were fucking awful. I almost couldn't get through them. Have you read Dune, itself? Amazing book, still one of my favorites.

Going back into King's Dark Tower saga made me remember why I gave up on it to begin with. I think King is a very good author but that whole series is just crap, utter crap, a shame really. Dune it is then.
Last time I read through the first couple of Dark Tower books, I was disappointed. They seemed much smaller and more shallow than I remembered them from when I was younger. I really wanted to like them, but I never got past the fourth one. I did recently read a graphic novel about Roland's youth, which was pretty cool.

I lately found King's book "The Long Walk" (written under R. Bachman pen name) for equivalent of 4$, ha! I just started to reading it, seems interesting, especially that I like such apocalyptic visions of the future. Yet personally I am not a big fan of King. For me he's very overrated. Though some of his writings are really good especially classic The Shining.

I lately found King's book "The Long Walk" (written under R. Bachman pen name) for equivalent of 4$, ha! I just started to reading it, seems interesting, especially that I like such apocalyptic visions of the future. Yet personally I am not a big fan of King. For me he's very overrated. Though some of his writings are really good especially classic The Shining.
King has moments of real brilliance. I agree, though, a lot of his books are formulaic and uninspired. Man's got a job to do, I suppose. I did enjoy "Black House", that he co-wrote with Peter Straub. I wouldn't consider any of his books as more than something to entertain oneself on an airplane flight, though. To be fair, Michael Crichton takes the cake for formulaic, predictable crap, even though some of his early books were really good. Maybe a worse offender than King.

As far as the Dune series goes' date=' the original six books are where it's at. Frank Herbert was a fucking genius. I don't mind the prequels that his son did, but the continuations, the "seventh" and "eighth" books that he wrote, were fucking awful. I almost couldn't get through them. Have you read Dune, itself? Amazing book, still one of my favorites.[/quote'] I actually have not read that yet. A friend turned me on to House Atredies, which I read a while back. I don't really know much about the series other than Atredies and what I've read in Harkonnen so far. If I read Dune will it spoil Harkonnen and other books? As far as the Dark Tower series goes, I really enjoyed the series. Being a big fan of King, I enjoy how he ties characters from other books into the series. Wizard and Glass (book 5 or something) was one of the best books I've ever read. I HATE the last book of the series though. I was pretty disappointed.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about spoiling the prequel books. Dune is where it all started, everything else is based on that, and I feel like his son only did a so-so job of carrying it on. If you're into what you're reading that's great, I'm just totally biased about Dune. It's been a favorite of mine for 27 years. Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I am now reading A song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay. I enjoy fantasy very much and it's mostly all I've been reading the past two years. But I also love Stephen King and classical novels (Dorian Gray is one of my favorite books). When I want to get away from fantasy, I read thrillers. I don't like SF. Those of you who read fantasy, have you read anything by Joe Abercrombie?

• 3 weeks later...