Books?

NTNR

Re: Books

speaking of autobiographies have you read Dave Mustaine's?
I was debating on reading it but decided not to after a friend did. He said 99% of the material is stuff you probably already know. It's a good read but there's nothing earth shattering in it. The same goes for the Tony Iommi biography. There are one or two "new" tidbits of information but the rest is common knowledge. It's like the original Iron Maiden biography. I purchased it back in the 90's and only made it a few chapters in because it's a very dull read. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. They, unlike a lot of their peers, didn't get into the drugs and debauchery associated with that lifestyle. They were all about the music and that's rather refreshing.

Re: Books I found out a few tidbits from Dave's book that I didn't know, but yeah overall it was stuff anyone would know from interviews over the years. I did love how Dave finally came clean about why Menza wasn't included in the re-activated Megadeth. At the time he said it was due to Nick being "not physically fit enough to play Megadeth's music" (the old excuse)!

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Books Presently I'm on a bit of an Albert Camus kick. Probobly work my way through some Nietzche after that. I enjoy philosophy, vintage pulp horror and science fiction, and some of the trickier greats of American literature in the 20th century, William Burroughs, Hubert Selby Jr, Thomas Pynchon and so forth.

Re: Books As far as accessible Burroughs goes, Junky and Queer are probobly the way to go. Both are autobiographical in nature and relatively restrained in style. Much of his work is pretty tough, what with the determined mangling of grammar and structure and the obsessions with gay sex and obscenity alongside the mind expanding science fiction and philosophy, but of his major canon Naked Lunch is the place to start. I read it when I was 16 and it straightaway made me a convert to transgressive literature, I fully understand the assorted criticisms but I found it fascinating and addictive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I love reading ... Have read MANY musicians/bands biographies ... as having worked for a big band for 18 years I can read through the bullshit (although the bullshit is mostly fun), but can also pick out what is true and it's simply very interesting to see how people think ... Other than biographies, I read thrillers, true stories and an occasional chick-lit :P

At the moment Pete Townshend's autobiography "Who Am I", before that Tony Iommi's autobiography...what a guy. Next I'll finish off "1000 Years Of Annoying The French" by Stephen Clarke...a humourous account of how Britain has messed the French up since 1066. After that I'll either crack on with the vast amount of H.P Lovecraft stuff I have or read J.K Rowling's new one "Casual Vacancy". This Christmas's book haul looks set to see me through to next Christmas at this rate!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a reader, and my favourite author is Cormac McCarthy. Ever seen the movies No Country For Old Men or The Road? Both penned by McCarthy. Slated as one of the greatest modern writers, he explores themes that not very many others dare to. His style of 'western/frontier' leaves you with a sense of realism - changes the way that you see the american frontier, natives and mexicans. For something bloody, violent and uncompromising, start with Blood Meridian.

• 2 weeks later...

love harry potter. i never get bored with them. i have been reading a lot of horror books lately. lovecraf mostly and denis weatly steven king. i also been reading a lot of non fiction to. i just started pete townsend autobiography. i have order Lemmy autobiography and a biography on metallica. what can i say i like to read. oh heay metal top 500 albums a guide to death metal and an encyclopedia of metal.

• 2 weeks later...

Im currently reading Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian chronicles. Im more into fiction than reality when it comes to books, I have enough of reality anyway. Been reading Metro 2033, and the two following books in that universe lately, and Im also reading the ''Keeper of the swords'' saga by Nick Perumov. Allot of Russian actually, but i like dark and sinister themes. And the Russians are good at that.

Im currently reading Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian chronicles. Im more into fiction than reality when it comes to books, I have enough of reality anyway. Been reading Metro 2033, and the two following books in that universe lately, and Im also reading the ''Keeper of the swords'' saga by Nick Perumov. Allot of Russian actually, but i like dark and sinister themes. And the Russians are good at that.
That's very interesting Scully. Do the Russian books you refer to have English translations? I like darkness and depression....

Ive read most of them in English, I dont find my own (Swedish) to have that much variation so i prefer reading in English. So I would recommend you reading Metro 2033 and Metro 2034. If your into fantasy look for Nick Perumov's works aswell. He started writing 3 books during the 80's in Tolkiens world who was at the time banned in the Soviet Union. I've read the first of the three since the other two still only exists in Russian. But his later work who consists of a series of 7 or 8 titles is really good. He have a approach on the fantasy theme that is mainly dark and depressive in a way, While still being kind of epic.

• 4 weeks later...

I ike reading a lot of different genres, from fantasy to non-fiction. If the author is English-speaking, I read the book in English, else I take the German version. Once my Swedish is better, I will try some Swedish books as well, same with my Finnish. Currently I really enjoy reading Moby-Dick while listeing to Ahab, just the perfect sound track.

I love books' date=' I tend to horde them, especially non-fiction - "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure", Rowena Ravenclaw.[/quote'] Ironic that said quote comes from a fictional book. Also, NEEEERRD.:P I read the Screwtape Letters again and it has risen even higher in my admiration. Lewis' writing is just splendid...the book is engrossing, entertaining, witty and deep.

• 2 weeks later...

Nerdy confessions in terms of reading material for me. I am a bit fascinated with Soviet era Russia (Lenin, Stalin, Trotsky..etc) Currently I am leafing through "Stalin - The Court of The Red Tsar" by Simon Sebag Montefiore for the second time. I have just finished reading "Resistance in the Gulag Archipelago" prior to that it was my second nerdy interest which is just developing in astrophysics which involved "A Brief History Of Time" by Stephen Hawking. Next on my to read pile is "The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. I will probably have to read it twice before I even start to pick up what is being explained but it's interesting to me anyway.