Funeral Doom

NTNR

A friend of mine sent me this a few days ago, also funeral doom from Russia. Not bad at all, but I need to listen to it more.

Also, being my favorite band for the last two months, Swallow the Sun putted out a funeral doom album as well, together with an usual melodic doom album and and acoustic album. Empires of Loneliness is an amazing track on this one.

Furthermore, I would also recommend bands like Skepticism, Eye of Solitude and Shape of Despair, but there are a lot of other great recommendations around here, thanks to BAN.

On 03/12/2015, 09:38:45, Sisa Belial said:

I have recently found my love for funeral doom and I find it relaxing and soothing and perfect to unwind to in the evening. Some pieces send shivers down my spine and give me goosebumps, it touches me so deeply. I particularly like the Tyranny- Tides Of Awakening album, I have liked Ahab for a while but never knew what genre it was, but it didn't touch me as much as the Tyranny album. I'm an insomniac and usually survive on 2.5/3 hours a night but since I bought the Tyranny album that I now play while I' go to sleep I get between 4 and 5 hours a night and my nightmares have become less frequent. I know sleeping with Tyranny probably means I'll never get a guy to sleep with me, but I don't care at this point. I'm very happy on my own with my music.

Change Tyranny for Mournful Congregation, man for woman, and that's what I used to think. Then I met my ex...

BAN has put a ton of video links in the Doom 101 thread with one post exclusively consisting of funeral doom.

I would recommend: Colosseum, diSEMBOWELMENT, Evoken, Longing For Dawn, Monolithe, Mournful Congregation, Reclusiam, Shape Of Despair, Skepticism, and Thergothen.

• 2 years later...
For me Funeral Doom is a genre that i appreciate musically speaking but aside from Evoken i know very little about it. What would be some essential bands aside from Evoken that would be a good starting point?
I would say start with the formative bands to get a feel for the origins and work your way forward. Here is a list of albums to get you started:

Thergothon - Stream From the Heavens
Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet, Ethere, and Lead and Aether
dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into the Peripheral (not truly funeral doom, but they were a massive influence upon the genre and some of their songs fit within that context)
Esoteric - Epistemological Despondency
Mournful Congregation - Tears From a Grieving Heart
Ysigim - Whispers
Worship - Last Tape Before Doomsday

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I would say start with the formative bands to get a feel for the origins and work your way forward. Here is a list of albums to get you started:

Thergothon - Stream From the Heavens
Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet, Ethere, and Lead and Aether
dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into the Peripheral (not truly funeral doom, but they were a massive influence upon the genre and some of their songs fit within that context)
Esoteric - Epistemological Despondency
Mournful Congregation - Tears From a Grieving Heart
Ysigim - Whispers
Worship - Last Tape Before Doomsday

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Thanks BAN. Ill listen through and report back.

I am familiar with some bands such as Remembrance, Black Wreath, and Funeral Tears. 

Mostly, I listen to Funeral Doom as background music (elevator music) along with Drone Doom and Post Metal. 

There is an instrumental band who play a kind of Funeral Doom. It is Sacrimony. 

Sometimes, I listen to the band Funeral of Norway. 

According to metal archives the bands Omit and Skumring are considered Funeral Doom.

Funeral Doom is sometimes called Funeral Dirge Doom, because its tempo is like a funeral dirge march. Marche Funebre by Candlemass is a cover Chopins funeral dirge march composition. It is just not as slow as Funeral Doom nowadays.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2018 at 10:02 PM, EmeraldDark said:

Funeral Doom is sometimes called Funeral Dirge Doom, because its tempo is like a funeral dirge march. 

Really? I've never heard it called that before. 

Here's a great band from Russia, Who Dies in Siberian Slush: 

• 3 weeks later...

Funeral doom actually got me back into metal game. It's mostly because of one band, a local one called Profetus. Yet another band I found through school, because they made a music video for them three years ago. Never actually watched the whole video because it's 15 minutes long.

And Profetus got me into other bands, mostly Skepticism and Ahab. A film school friend listens to the genre more and once drunkenly started to explain to me how I should listen to other bands because they are better than Profetus, that was an unfortunate conversation.

But there's just something about the slowness that speaks to me and enchants me when listening to the music. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 11:44 AM, Fraser said:

I am loving this self titled album from Northern Irish trio, they started about 10 year ago under the name Dwell In Sun.  See what you think. 

“Hey Lads, now we are in a band, what are we gonna call ourselves?”

”My fat mate at Uni sat on an Owl once!”

”Genuis”

• 2 years later...

I think I'm going to be stalking this thread forever lol. I LOVE funeral doom. 

This is one of my favorite bands/albums. Headphones are a must. Sometimes I listen to it at night before I go to sleep. It brings me a sense of peace and tranquility. It's beyond beautiful. 

20 hours ago, lia_kat15 said:

I think I'm going to be stalking this thread forever lol. I LOVE funeral doom. 

This is one of my favorite bands/albums. Headphones are a must. Sometimes I listen to it at night before I go to sleep. It brings me a sense of peace and tranquility. It's beyond beautiful. 

Wow, this is amazing. I've never heard of this band before, so thanks for posting! 

Also, thanks for liking the Who Dies in Siberian Slush post I made, because I just had a look and discovered that the link was broken. I've fixed it now. We'd all be dying in Siberian silence if I didn't ameliorate that catastrophe. 

There's a great guitar tone to Funeral Mourning. The guy is actually from Australia, so sort of from my neck of the woods. 

• 1 year later...