Cannibal Corpse

MegaMetal666Head

Not sure how they "started a revolution", as they were far from the first death metal band. There are talented musicians in the band (especially Alex Webster), but the songwriting is boring and their riffs only do something for me in small doses. They seemed nice in person, but were very dull live. Some people like them, but I'm not one of them. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
They started a revolution for Death Metal bands to come out of their shell with brutality, especially back in the day. You know they led the charge for many underground DM bands! They just really never gave a fuck and that's what counted and people noticed was so unique about 'em. Oh, definitely. All of them are very talented whether it be instrumentally or creatively they all contribute vastly. Most of 'em can compose an entire song in their heads including all instruments according to interviews. They don't move around a lot on stage but if you'll refer to extensive interviews with George you'd know that their philosophy about stage presence is that it's kind of bullshit and that they're there to play the music and have you listening to it live and raw and experience their music in that sense. So they may be just windmilling and headbanging on stage but that's because they don't want you to notice them, they want you to notice the music. Now i don't totally agree because i certainly believe stage presence is part of a live performance but i can see where they come from! The lyrics/songwriting is angry and that's the point of it xD it's fuckin brutal! You really gotta read those lyrics man! They're awesome. The song Pit Of Zombies for example? It's fuckin gold! you can't look at it from such a cynical, serious point of view. They explain all the time that their music isn't to be taken seriously, it's all anger release and fun and horror movie/story depictions. Overall, if you think about it, they really are a quality band.

They started a revolution for Death Metal bands to come out of their shell with brutality' date=' especially back in the day. You know they led the charge for many underground DM bands! They just really never gave a fuck and that's what counted and people noticed was so unique about 'em. Oh, definitely. All of them are very talented whether it be instrumentally or creatively they all contribute vastly. Most of 'em can compose an entire song in their heads including all instruments according to interviews. They don't move around a lot on stage but if you'll refer to extensive interviews with George you'd know that their philosophy about stage presence is that it's kind of bullshit and that they're there to play the music and have you listening to it live and raw and experience their music in that sense. So they may be just windmilling and headbanging on stage but that's because they don't want you to notice them, they want you to notice the music. Now i don't totally agree because i certainly believe stage presence is part of a live performance but i can see where they come from! The lyrics/songwriting is angry and that's the point of it xD it's fuckin brutal! You really gotta read those lyrics man! They're awesome. The song Pit Of Zombies for example? It's fuckin gold! you can't look at it from such a cynical, serious point of view. They explain all the time that their music isn't to be taken seriously, it's all anger release and fun and horror movie/story depictions. Overall, if you think about it, they really are a quality band.[/quote'] It seems like you missed the point entirely. Everyone and their dog should be aware that they don't take themselves seriously, they're a cartoony variant of death metal that people who aren't familiar with death metal equate the genre to in their heads. The lyrics are gory, but they were hardly the first to pioneer that topic (Carcass). They were never the most brutal death metal band, nor even close to it, and while I'm not about to go on a rant about who was more technical, who was more melodic, who was more brutal, who was more gory, etc..., I'll state that it doesn't really matter. Plenty of the best death metal bands out there are not more one of those ways than another, it's about songwriting, which is a concept CC does not grasp. No atmosphere, no flow, no thought process, just one riff and then another, which is why I find them boring, it has nothing to do with their stage demeanor (another point that I don't really care about). My view is hardly cynical and serious, I just don't like Cannibal Corpse, and I definitely listen to my fair share of other death metal, so it has nothing to do with the genre itself.

• 2 months later...
my favorite album is evisceration plague. its the album i own by them and the only album that i love all of the songs. i also have the dvd "the making of evisceration plague".
agreed, by far my fave album by them followed by Kill. good band and do enjoy listening to them, but seen the live vids and the vocal seems to be different and he doesnt pronounce the words as well as he does on the records which i think is a shame as for me it takes the power out of it a little.

I like their debut' date=' it's ok and quite thrashy :D[/quote'] cool i was basting their music one time throughmy old nieghbors bathroom window he likes this hip hop HE SCREAM I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF HEAR HIS DISGUSTING MUSIC LOL if i was working the same place with him i whould it again lol

Re: Cannibal Corpse

Well, I dont hate them, they dont impress me in any way, The only thing i get out of this band is boredom, both on record and live. They have one song I actually like, Unleashing the Bloodthirsty i think its called.
Yeah, it would be great for just a song or two, but sitting through an album or live performance of theirs is taxing on my patience. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
I have a lot of love for the first bunch of albums with Chris and I appreciate the way they've progressed with George' date=' but to me their peak was 'Wretched Spawn' the last few just haven't done it for me...I dont know if its the songwriting or production but I'd pass on everything from Kill onwards.[/quote'] I know I've said it before but my favorite is probably still Tomb Of The Mutilated. It's still one of death metal's defining albums in my opinion. I enjoy most of what they did with Barnes despite what a shit vocalist he was/is, it has good energy. Of the stuff with Fisher, I like Bloodthirst, Gore Obsessed, and Gallery Of Suicide the best - Wretched Spawn is ok too - but I feel like, with the exception of some interesting riffs from Alex Webster and Pat O'Brien, their sound is stagnant and dull, and they're a career band phoning it in for a paycheck. For what it's worth, I think Vile and Kill were two low points. The last two albums have been better than Kill, though that's not saying a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Cannibal Corpse is the band that got me into Death Metal. I was already a metal fan but didn't listen to Death Metal. I was looking over the Grand Theft Auto 4 Soundtrack because my brother just bought of those add-ons and I noticed a song titled "I Cum Blood." Naturally I decided to listen to it. It was alright but I didn't think much of it. Some time later it was Halloween and I remembered Cannibal Corpse so I searched their music and decided to listen to it to match the mood. Well with that I found a new genre that is, Death Metal. I really like the band because of how heavy they are, but also because of the lyrical content. When I was in High School, in Spanish class I would talk about things I heard in their songs and people began thinking I was demented. Yes I got a new image pretty soon but they opened up a door to my favorite genre of metal; today Cannibal Corpse remains one of my favorite death metal bands, but they're not number one in my book.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always felt Cannibal Corpse were a band that could have been good but fucked it all up with generic lyrics and predictable musicianship. Having a profoundly stupid name doesn't help their case but could be overlooked if they weren't so lazy. Deicide fall into the same trap throughout much of their discography.

• 1 month later...

The name worked very well when they started as a thrash band. Now it's cheesy, but that's because others did thesame thing after them. My favorite era is the Chris Barnes era. I like this vocals better and he uses more variations in his lines. Fisher always have thesame rythms during his verses which I find more boring. He's a great live performer though, but it gets boring too because he always use thesame introduction everytime.

The name worked very well when they started as a thrash band. Now it's cheesy, but that's because others did thesame thing after them. My favorite era is the Chris Barnes era. I like this vocals better and he uses more variations in his lines. Fisher always have thesame rythms during his verses which I find more boring. He's a great live performer though, but it gets boring too because he always use thesame introduction everytime.
I agree with this. The other problem with Fisher is, he doesn't know all the lyrics, he's just sort of barfing along in rhythm. I saw them on the Vile tour and he was great, really friendly too, but I saw them more recently and he's definitely not on point. He basically didn't know the old songs anymore.

• 3 years later...

Can't say I have ever truly got into Cannibal Corpse. I own Butchered At Birth, but that aside I just have a homemade 2CD compilation.

I have got very into watching documentaries about Cannibal Corpse, though. I've bought them all, and watched them all repeatedly. Can't quite put my finger on the appeal, guess I must warm to them. Or something. I'm strange.