suggestions

A7X stoner ftw

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm looking for song suggestions based on my favorite songs of all time which I'm about to tell you: Spirit Crusher-Death, Moonlight Equilibrium-Black Dahlia, Flattening of Emotions-Death, Breaking the Broken-Control Denied, Charging the void/Recharging the void-Vektor, Bound by Desire-Revocation, Point of no return-Havok, DOA-Havok, Heartwork-Carcass, Pierced From Within-Suffocation, As grace Descends-Suffocation, Kaleb-Battlecross, Immortality made flesh-Exmortus, Triumph by Fire-Exmortus, Akroasis-Obscura. As you can see if you've heard these songs, I'm very into a melodic and progressive songs, I love songs with a very epic progression, songs with a climax, like near the end of bound by desire. I LOVE Chuck Schuldiner anything with Chuck in it I've heard, anything that's similar to Chuck Schuldiner's progressive-death style please tell me. I don'tt like power metal I like that cinematic theatric sound but I hate the clean vocals. Suggestions? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

You'd probably like the Nocturnus albums "The Key" and "Thresholds". They're pretty progressive and technical, as well as some of the finest early Death Metal works. They remind me of Death a bit.

Also, you should try Edge of Sanity's "Crimson" album. It took me a while to appreciate it, but it's easily one of the best Progressive Death Metal albums ever. Also somewhat in this vein is Pestilence's "Testimony of the Ancients" album and Cynic's "Focus".

On the heavier side of things, you may like some of Master's early work, too.

I know these are all albums but I have a hard time breaking things down to songs. I usually just listen to full albums.

You'd probably like the Nocturnus albums "The Key" and "Thresholds". They're pretty progressive and technical, as well as some of the finest early Death Metal works. They remind me of Death a bit.

Also, you should try Edge of Sanity's "Crimson" album. It took me a while to appreciate it, but it's easily one of the best Progressive Death Metal albums ever. Also somewhat in this vein is Pestilence's "Testimony of the Ancients" album and Cynic's "Focus".

On the heavier side of things, you may like some of Master's early work, too.

I know these are all albums but I have a hard time breaking things down to songs. I usually just listen to full albums.

I think this slots in nicely too.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

On 3/5/2017 at 0:02 PM, BlutAusNerd said:  

I think this slots in nicely too.

Not too familiar with Sentenced. That will have to change!

Stick to their first two albums. They were excellent at making death metal back then, but changed gears to sappy goth rock not long after.

On 31/01/2017 at 11:52 PM, Elenchen said:

hey there,

i don't know if i am in the right forum topic here, but i look for deep, meaningful metal ballads. i am not such a huge fan of these "classical" metal ballads, because i prefer deeper, chesty voices and often these well-known metal ballads (for example from judas priest etc) are a little bit too "high" for me, their voices feel a little bit screechy for me. this is of course no criticism, just my personal perception. so it's a little hard for me to find metal ballads that are not like that, i hope you have some proposals for me.

to show what kind of metal ballads i really love, here are some examples:

pantera - suicide note pt. 1 (this is one of my favorites, because his voice is so deep and has something rough in it, just a masterpiece, i also love "hollow")

korn - alone i break (also a kind of raw/rough, deep and groovy tune that i like very much)

alice in chains - nutshell

opeth, a lot of opeth ballads touch my heart very much because they are dark but soft, fluent and lyrical, complex, and not so overloaded

all ballads of testament

I love Pantera's 'Suicide Note part 1'. What a great song. I remember that back in the day we used to also love 'Floods' and '10s' from the same album. Because of these songs I think 'Trendkill' is my favourite Pantera album.

You simply must check out:

Katatonia - 'Unfurl'

Anathema - 'Inner Silence'

Ghost Brigade - 'In the Woods'

And try Katatonia's 'Sanctitude' live unplugged album. Every song is a ballad classic.

Danzig - "Blood and Tears"

Sounds like a 50's Elvis ballad, but with a dark overtone.

I also TOTALLY love these thrash ballads:

Overkill - "Soulitude" (the most heartfelt... "The Years of Decay" also sort of qualifies as a thrash ballad for about 3 minutes, then it turns into a marching dirge for a while... they also had a power ballad on their record "From the Underground and Below" called "Promises"... it's good but not "Soulitude" good)

Heathen - "Prisoners of Fate" (the best)

Laaz Rockit - "The Omen" (people CHECK this out, it's "The Unforgiven 0", Metallica took inspiration from this tune to arrange the first episode of their Unforgiven saga... it's amazing)

Anthrax - "Black Lodge"

Whiplash - "Last Nail in the Coffin"

Metal Church - "Watch the Children Pray"

Testament - "The Legacy" (my favorite of their ballads, but "The Ballad" and "The Ritual" are also worthy of mention)

Flotsam and Jetsam - "Escape From Within" (the vocal line takes a bit of time to get into, but then it becomes infectious)

Throw these ballads into a playlist and try not to kill yourself! Add Metallica's "Fade to Black", "Sanitarium" and "One" and Pantera's "Cemetery Gates"... you'll be ready for the ride of your... DEATH! So friggin' suicidal, dude!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello, I'm not a fan of metal but I fallen in love with instrumental songs (with no vocals) by band Maximum Sexy Pigeon. I'm looking for something similar, here is one example of what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAzWZaLL74A

I absolutely adore last minute of it.
Could you recommend me similar artists and bands? Thank you very much.

12 minutes ago, ghostwriter said:

ChainsawAkimbo: You are kidding me, right?

Oh no, you wouldn´t believe how many "clever" spammy posts pop up, people basically saying "i found this band and i love it" and it´s their own band or youtube channel. :D After a while it gets old and you just tend to ignore. To be honest the only reason i even replied in the first place was that i´m full of coffee and bored. :P So you for real then? :) 

Well, Ministry comes to mind for sure..

9 hours ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

Oh no, you wouldn´t believe how many "clever" spammy posts pop up, people basically saying "i found this band and i love it" and it´s their own band or youtube channel. :D After a while it gets old and you just tend to ignore. To be honest the only reason i even replied in the first place was that i´m full of coffee and bored. :P So you for real then? :) 

Well, Ministry comes to mind for sure..

Thanks but I said no vocals. Anyway, I think that is the best one can take from this community :)

• 3 months later...

I really like listening to progressive bands liek Caligula's Horse, Soen, Haken, Dream Theater, SymphonyX, TesseracT, Pain of Salvation, Riverside or Threshold, but I'm looking for alternatives with harder/heavier/black-metalish singing. I tried Nile, some Opeth, Omnium Gatherum, Devin Townsend or Cryptopsy.

Can you provide me with some ? 

This is a very long thread ... so I apologize in advance if my lazyness (TL/DR) has lead me to an oversight ... but I wouldn't think so. These are fairly obscure bands, although well known (and loved) in Norway. Both classify as "thrash metal" although those who are familiar with "the Norwegian sound" can probably hear how it's manifests in these guys' work:

Nekromantheon - Rise, Vulcan Spectre ... 

It's a clip, that will (or will not) inspire further investigation if you like it.

The other one:

Audiopain - Hellbound

That's all I wanted to share at this point in time. In my opinion, some very solid thrash metal.

This is a very long thread ... so I apologize in advance if my lazyness (TL/DR) has lead me to an oversight ... but I wouldn't think so. These are fairly obscure bands, although well known (and loved) in Norway. Both classify as "thrash metal" although those who are familiar with "the Norwegian sound" can probably hear how it's manifests in these guys' work:
Nekromantheon - Rise, Vulcan Spectre ... 
[/url]  
It's a clip, that will (or will not) inspire further investigation if you like it.
The other one:
Audiopain - Hellbound
That's all I wanted to share at this point in time. In my opinion, some very solid thrash metal.
I've heard tracks from both, but never picked up their albums. I don't think I've seen either mentioned here frequently, so cheers for that. I remember liking Nekromantheon more than Audiopain, but will likely get around to revisiting them at some point.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2015 at 11:14 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Because what you aren't approaching the task with an open mind. Like I said previously I despised harsh vocals early on. It's all well and good knowing what you like now but that's not going to help you find new bands. At least it won't help you find bands which sound qualitively different to those you already know. We're trying to help you out here but it's extremely difficult when you're pretty much dismissing everything that's being put forward because it doesn't fall into your extremely narrow scope. Once again I hope I'm not coming off as an asshole but this is a futile endeavour if you're not going to approach our suggestions without prejudice. I can't stress that enough: you NEED to actually invest time and effort in most metal - particularly in the more extreme genres. You liked the folk metal so maybe just explore that a little more that's about all I can say right now.

*Waves* It didn't take investment, I'd say, it just happened on a whim.

4 years later, now I can pretty much listen to anything from Death Metal. While I still favor the more popular bands like

Death,

Behemoth

and Vader

and mainstream albums of Carcass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqCDri7Ye30

I'm into Gorguts and Morgoth as well. Gorgasm too. Vltimas is great.

(Equally like Entombed but it's not loud enough for a daily play) despite that I think now I can say that I can savor 90% or so of death metal. Slam Metal is somewhat annoying often because it sounds repetitive but I can listen to it as well. I recently developed a liking for black metal music too, not a fan of the raw stuff because well it's raw, purposely recorded on bad tech, not my thing. I grabbed a liking for

Hornwood Fell,

Grafvitnir,

Darkthrone,

Black Flame,

Mgla,

Batushka,

Krallice,

Satyricon,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otKmqy89zZM

Slidhr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM83Y0WEtcE

well a bunch of stuff is good, that cartoony black metal band whos name I can't remember now is fun as well. I think it's Belzebubs. Yup it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkdkZN1rduo

Not sure about goregrind but I really like Wormrot which is Grindcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlPxgm0FSYw

and Joy which is Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPp2-WRWpI

(I don't even know what hardcore is lol, but I love the band called Joy and apparently it's hardcore, sounds like grindcore to me so w/e)

Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyy

I still have a problem with doom metal and I need to fix that. What makes me come back to doom metal is it's deep sounds and that it sounds like the kind of metal you would play while playing Brutal Legend, Doom, Hexen, Blood or such games. It sounds fitting for a rotten wasteland territory. OFC black metal is fitting for that too, but the main difference in my opinion is that black metal is ghost like, ghastly? you'd be feeling the chills while with the kind of doom metal I want you'd be accustomed to the environment, you know? getting used to the hell like Mad Max. The only band that creates an interesting atmosphere and is doom metal is HELL which is apparently extreme fdoom, I had some listens with fdoom and I didn't find the right bands. So idk.

Yet I don't play this album very often and I think it's because the lyrics are heavily overshadowed by the instrumentals.

So yeah, anyone got a good suggestion that isn't operatic or melodic but is creepy and very deep with it's sound (not lyricism) and has lyrics as opposed to sludge where I hardly find a band that speaks... (WHY SLUDGE! WHY U DO DIS! You're so good but! arghhh!)

Check out Skepticism. A great funeral doom band that isn’t romantic and flowery. ‘Stormcrowfleet’ and ‘Lead and Aether’ should give you the fix you’re craving. 

You might also love Funeral - ‘From these Wounds’ which is about as good as things get.

Requiem has spoken/typed. 

• 4 weeks later...