Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Kristiko said:

Oh man, I'm so late to anything that comes out, I still play things that are, like, ten or fifteen years old. This or last year I played "Morrowind" for the first time, as well as "Torchlight". Also, I went back on my PS2 and played some "Medievil", "Toy Story Racer", "GTA: Vice City" etc. :D

I do get to the proper old stuff from time to time too.. Like some time ago completed the original Ghost recon.. and i do enjoy old console games via emulator, from nes to ps2. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RE4 is easily the best in the franchise. That being said fuck Ashley she's literally the worst.

what games do you guys like? brutal legend, dragon age, fallout, cod so on

Thanks, that's just life, and it's not all bad. At least no one can ask me to be the designated driver...

Posted Images

Here is my collection of old(ish) consoles.

From left to right; Sega Saturn, Sega Master System, Original Xbox, Nintendo 64, Sony Playstation 2 (hidden underneath the N64) and Nintendo Gamecube.

I'm approaching 200 Xbox Games, the Xbox is where my collection started off.

So what's your favourite games guys? Mine is Midtown Madness 3 on the Original Xbox.

1763907ffa332607373aa36a3617ab3b.0.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Sorry If we already have one of these, I spent about 15 minns trying to see if one existed xD

 

Anyway, here is my collection of old(ish) consoles.

From left to right; Sega Saturn, Sega Master System, Original Xbox, Nintendo 64, Sony Playstation 2 (hidden underneath the N64) and Nintendo Gamecube.

I'm approaching 200 Xbox Games, the Xbox is where my collection started off.

So what's your favourite games guys? Mine is Midtown Madness 3 on the Original Xbox.

1763907ffa332607373aa36a3617ab3b.0.jpg

I moved this to the thread we have going. I can't see your pic, it says the link is broken.

One of my friends gave me a Retropie last year. It's the first gaming system I've ever owned. Lately I've been playing Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and some pinball games with my son. I was digging Streets Of Rage for a while, but I don't really have any time to devote anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I moved this to the thread we have going. I can't see your pic, it says the link is broken.

One of my friends gave me a Retropie last year. It's the first gaming system I've ever owned. Lately I've been playing Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and some pinball games with my son. I was digging Streets Of Rage for a while, but I don't really have any time to devote anymore.

Thanks Alabaster, that's strange, I can see the picture, ah well.

That sounds pretty cool! I love Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Streets of Rage is a classic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
The wife and kid have done a deep dive into Super Mario World over the past few weeks. I couldn't get through some of these levels if my life depended on it, but it's been fun watching them play.
The one on SNES? I've tried to get my daughter into that, and she likes it, but can't really understand what to do. I think if I played more games and she watched me to learn what to do, she would be fine. That's a classic though, I'd bet they're having a blast.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

The one on SNES? I've tried to get my daughter into that, and she likes it, but can't really understand what to do. I think if I played more games and she watched me to learn what to do, she would be fine. That's a classic though, I'd bet they're having a blast.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
 

Yup, the SNES title. I didn't really understand what to do either until I watched them for a while. My son found some playthrough videos on YouTube, so he's got a leg up on us, and my wife is dogged in her pursuit of every last secret level and extra hidden thingamabob. On the rare occasions I play, I inevitably miss a bunch of stuff and walk off a platform and die. Still fun though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Yup, the SNES title. I didn't really understand what to do either until I watched them for a while. My son found some playthrough videos on YouTube, so he's got a leg up on us, and my wife is dogged in her pursuit of every last secret level and extra hidden thingamabob. On the rare occasions I play, I inevitably miss a bunch of stuff and walk off a platform and die. Still fun though!
I forget that you didn't have much of that in your childhood. That's just about all that I did when I was growing up.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I forget that you didn't have much of that in your childhood. That's just about all that I did when I was growing up.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
 

Yeah. It really shows. I have no feel for the correct moves and my timing is garbage. The sad thing is that I'm way better now than I was as a kid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah. It really shows. I have no feel for the correct moves and my timing is garbage. The sad thing is that I'm way better now than I was as a kid.
That's funny, I'm the opposite. I used to blaze through so many things when I would play a number of games, but I try now and can tell that I haven't touched it in a while.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

That's funny, I'm the opposite. I used to blaze through so many things when I would play a number of games, but I try now and can tell that I haven't touched it in a while.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
 

Comparatively speaking, I'm more patient and less nervous about jumps and enemies than I used to be, so I have more control and I can get farther. There are still only a couple of platform games I can play well enough to advance even a little bit, though - my best platform title right now might Zero The Kamikaze Squirrel, it's a Genesis game. Did you ever play that? It was a spinoff of Aero The Acro-bat 2. Overall my best games are dumbass beat-em-up titles, Golden Axe 2 and Streets Of Rage 2 in particular. Streets Of Rage 2 is the only game I think I've ever beaten by myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Comparatively speaking, I'm more patient and less nervous about jumps and enemies than I used to be, so I have more control and I can get farther. There are still only a couple of platform games I can play well enough to advance even a little bit, though - my best platform title right now might Zero The Kamikaze Squirrel, it's a Genesis game. Did you ever play that? It was a spinoff of Aero The Acro-bat 2. Overall my best games are dumbass beat-em-up titles, Golden Axe 2 and Streets Of Rage 2 in particular. Streets Of Rage 2 is the only game I think I've ever beaten by myself.
No, I'm not familiar with those other games. I had a Sega Genesis, but I don't remember playing it as much as my SNES because the games weren't as strong. I do remember a few cool ones like Vectorman and Comix Zone, along with the more obvious Sonic The Hedgehog, but SNES featured more of my favorites. Your point about being more patient makes sense, and that was something I learned early just because of playing so much, but my timing is nowhere near as good as it used to be, and I've forgotten a lot of the secrets and special move/button combinations that I used to know. Maybe I should try to log some more time with the kids, you're getting me feeling nostalgic now.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

No, I'm not familiar with those other games. I had a Sega Genesis, but I don't remember playing it as much as my SNES because the games weren't as strong. I do remember a few cool ones like Vectorman and Comix Zone, along with the more obvious Sonic The Hedgehog, but SNES featured more of my favorites. Your point about being more patient makes sense, and that was something I learned early just because of playing so much, but my timing is nowhere near as good as it used to be, and I've forgotten a lot of the secrets and special move/button combinations that I used to know. Maybe I should try to log some more time with the kids, you're getting me feeling nostalgic now.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
 

Check out Aero 2 and Zero if you can, they're a ton of fun and the challenges get much more intense as you get to higher levels. Genesis is the system I'm most familiar and comfortable with, and the ABXY + L/R shoulder button layout on the SNES controllers still fucks with me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Check out Aero 2 and Zero if you can, they're a ton of fun and the challenges get much more intense as you get to higher levels. Genesis is the system I'm most familiar and comfortable with, and the ABXY + L/R shoulder button layout on the SNES controllers still fucks with me.
Lol, I always preferred the SNES setup to the ABC setup on Genesis. The smaller SNES controllers were easier for me to hold when I was young, and having the buttons in a small cluster versus 3 wide was also good for smaller hands. I think I would prefer Sega these days because the games were more different, outsider type stuff, but I could get lost for days in those big SNES games like Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World, Earthworm Jim, etc...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Lol, I always preferred the SNES setup to the ABC setup on Genesis. The smaller SNES controllers were easier for me to hold when I was young, and having the buttons in a small cluster versus 3 wide was also good for smaller hands. I think I would prefer Sega these days because the games were more different, outsider type stuff, but I could get lost for days in those big SNES games like Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World, Earthworm Jim, etc...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
 

Earthworm Jim seems pretty cool. I've watched my wife play that a few times. We haven't been able to figure it out too well, though. I can't get lost for days in any game because I keep on getting stuck and there's only so much replay value before I get fed up with dying in the same spot. I guess I never had an issue with controllers being too big because I was already in my early teens when I got to play on a Genesis, but now that you mention it, my son seems to do fine with the SNES controllers. One of ours is kind of wonky though - the d-pad will register left or right if you hit the down button a little off-center, and it compounds my user error issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Earthworm Jim seems pretty cool. I've watched my wife play that a few times. We haven't been able to figure it out too well, though. I can't get lost for days in any game because I keep on getting stuck and there's only so much replay value before I get fed up with dying in the same spot. I guess I never had an issue with controllers being too big because I was already in my early teens when I got to play on a Genesis, but now that you mention it, my son seems to do fine with the SNES controllers. One of ours is kind of wonky though - the d-pad will register left or right if you hit the down button a little off-center, and it compounds my user error issues.
Earthworm Jim was a lot of fun. The second one was still enjoyable to some degree, but nowhere near as cool. That sucks about the controller, but I'd bet it would be pretty easy to get a new/used one on eBay or Amazon. When we bought a house and got my games out of storage, my SNES wouldn't work, but I ordered a $3 cable off of eBay and now it's perfectly fine.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Earthworm Jim was a lot of fun. The second one was still enjoyable to some degree, but nowhere near as cool. That sucks about the controller, but I'd bet it would be pretty easy to get a new/used one on eBay or Amazon. When we bought a house and got my games out of storage, my SNES wouldn't work, but I ordered a $3 cable off of eBay and now it's perfectly fine.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
 

I spent about $40 on new controllers a while ago, but for some reason when the two new ones are plugged in together, there's this weird glitch where the B button acts as if it's being pushed over and over again while it's being held down. That's a big problem in the Mario games since you need to hold the button down to control the duration of the jump. At first I thought it was a faulty controller, but I swapped them a few times and found that it seems to affect whichever one is being treated as the "1" controller. I'm just not ready to plow more cash into it yet. We'll make do, and I can coat my failures with some kind of slightly plausible deniability.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I spent about $40 on new controllers a while ago, but for some reason when the two new ones are plugged in together, there's this weird glitch where the B button acts as if it's being pushed over and over again while it's being held down. That's a big problem in the Mario games since you need to hold the button down to control the duration of the jump. At first I thought it was a faulty controller, but I swapped them a few times and found that it seems to affect whichever one is being treated as the "1" controller. I'm just not ready to plow more cash into it yet. We'll make do, and I can coat my failures with some kind of slightly plausible deniability.
Wow, that seems like a lot for controllers. Were they the regular ones, or one of the after-market brands? I always had issues like that with the after market ones, even when they were coming out brand new.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlutAusNerd said:

Wow, that seems like a lot for controllers. Were they the regular ones, or one of the after-market brands? I always had issues like that with the after market ones, even when they were coming out brand new.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
 

Aftermarket USB controllers, which I actually bothered researching - 20 minutes I'll never get back. It's one of those Raspberry Pi-based systems, so I could pretty much plug any USB controller into it and map the buttons. Weirdly we don't get that glitch with the other (cheaper and shittier) SNES-style controllers, but there's no denying they don't work as well in general. I have a feeling this could turn into an expensive rabbit hole.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Aftermarket USB controllers, which I actually bothered researching - 20 minutes I'll never get back. It's one of those Raspberry Pi-based systems, so I could pretty much plug any USB controller into it and map the buttons. Weirdly we don't get that glitch with the other (cheaper and shittier) SNES-style controllers, but there's no denying they don't work as well in general. I have a feeling this could turn into an expensive rabbit hole.


Oh, it's on a computer emulator? That would make more sense. The only time I've used one of those was on my friend's computer, and his USB PlayStation controllers worked really well. That could get expensive just trying to find the right peripherals...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I finished playing Monster Hunter World, and now I'm playing Earthbound. I have a long history with video games going back to the turn of age 5 with Super Mario World. I've never tried Xbox, but I've been loyal to Playstation games (I have a PS4 currently), emulation, and sometimes computer games. For emulation I either use the keyboard or an F310 Logitech controller, which seems to be one of the better cheap controllers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
×
×
  • Create New...