Rate and Slate

Shadow

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cool mate' date=' my uni provides me with electronic copies of all textbooks and readings, I still have to pay for physical copies of my textbooks though (some copyright issue I don't understand) but then I just sell the books back.[/quote'] Ah, cool, so you read enlarged text on the computer? I figure that's how you do it with the forum... My wife's an optometrist so I talk to her about eyes all the time, I'm just naturally curious.

Re: Rate and Slate

Ah' date=' cool, so you read enlarged text on the computer? I figure that's how you do it with the forum... My wife's an optometrist so I talk to her about eyes all the time, I'm just naturally curious.[/quote'] What do you do exactly? Moat here are students and Ghouly does something computer oriented, but I still have no idea what you do. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

What do you do exactly? Moat here are students and Ghouly does something computer oriented, but I still have no idea what you do. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Most recently I was a construction manager/carpenter for a landscaping company. Rich people's backyards, mostly. Lots of city driving with trucks and vans, too. Before that I managed and fabricated at a plastic shop. I've also done crate building/art handling, homebuilding, plumbing, and a little bit of work at a prop studio. My wife and I were both working full-time for the first year after my son was born, but I started staying home with the kid last year because all of my money was going to childcare. I was working for the privilege of being able to work, and someone else was raising my kid. I don't know if I'll go back into "my field" or try to do something different, like with my painting. It's been hard adapting to being home all the time, but taking care of the kid is very rewarding and I've been able to find time to keep recording.

Most recently I was a construction manager/carpenter for a landscaping company. Rich people's backyards, mostly. Lots of city driving with trucks and vans, too. Before that I managed and fabricated at a plastic shop. I've also done crate building/art handling, homebuilding, plumbing, and a little bit of work at a prop studio. My wife and I were both working full-time for the first year after my son was born, but I started staying home with the kid last year because all of my money was going to childcare. I was working for the privilege of being able to work, and someone else was raising my kid. I don't know if I'll go back into "my field" or try to do something different, like with my painting. It's been hard adapting to being home all the time, but taking care of the kid is very rewarding and I've been able to find time to keep recording.
Cool gig. I don't think I would be able to do that, I get bored at home after a while. My wife works for her parents, so she can both work and stay home, which has also helped with our dogs and our side work doing dog training, boarding, and grooming. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Cool gig. I don't think I would be able to do that, I get bored at home after a while. My wife works for her parents, so she can both work and stay home, which has also helped with our dogs and our side work doing dog training, boarding, and grooming. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
It's lucky you have that arrangement! I don't get bored as long as I can keep busy, and the kid keeps me plenty busy. It's like a job. I do go a bit stir-crazy, not much to be done about that. I would have gladly stayed at work, but it didn't make financial sense. And it is a cool gig, maybe the best job I've ever had. Trying to teach him stuff, but also just let him figure things out on his own. He knows the letters and colors, and we're working on numbers. He seems to love it and he's not even two. Another thing that made me more inclined to stay home: too many of our landscaping clients had nannies and housekeepers. I have to admit that that made me uncomfortable. Upper middle class people that work long hours at high paying jobs, so they can afford a staff that will maintain the home they're never at and take care of the children they don't have time to raise. Ugh. It's not how I want my family to be, you know?

Yep Alabaster for documents I use Arial 16 and for internet use I increase the zoom from 100 to 150%. I've tried using a few different programs which can read text but the voice gets on my nerves. The condition I have is called Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) which I think I'm right in saying is one of the more common eye diseases.

Rating - nicer weather today, still looks nice. I've a fair bit of reading for my military power class but I don't mind so far, it's enjoyable. Tomorrow I'll be able to catch up on my government reading. Slating - nothing, honestly. Today is good and tomorrow should be as well. The most recent Fairy Tail arc annoyed me but it's not a massive problem and the show seems to have apologized by making the character in question cool again.

It's great that you can still read! My wife thought that's what it was - she told me about a professor of hers that had RP' date=' who still had 20/20 vision (with glasses) right in the very center of his macula. Extreme tunnel vision! That would probably drive me nuts. Thanks for talking about it, I was curious.[/quote'] I'm happy to talk about it. I actually think it makes me appreciate what sight I have more. I know eventually I'll lose it but whilst I have sight I like to think I'm making it count.

I'm happy to talk about it. I actually think it makes me appreciate what sight I have more. I know eventually I'll lose it but whilst I have sight I like to think I'm making it count.
I hear you. I understand that every case develops a bit differently - my wife said she had a professor with pigmentitis retinosa (tell me that doesn't sound like a spell from Harry Potter), who had lost everything but the very center of his vision, but still saw 20/20 with glasses - just a tiny little spot in the middle, but he could read.

Re: Rate and Slate I developed a random eye problem a few years ago called Iritis, in which my iris became swollen in one eye, causing a great deal of pressure (and subsequently, pain and headaches). It took some expensive prescription eye drops to clear up ($80 for a tiny bottle after insurance paid their part), and they said that in most cases they can't figure out what causes it. I had never had my eyes checked before, but when it cleared up I registered 20/10 vision, which I feel lucky for. My eye doctor said I should be a pilot, which I have considered, but I know my wife would hate me being away frequently. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2