METALLICA vs megadeth

Moombz

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I prefer Megadeth by a long shot. I like Metallica, but even Master Of Puppets and Ride the Lightning seem boring to me when I compare them to Rust In Peace or Peace Sells. I also believe that all of the instrumentalists in Megadeth (classic or current lineup) are more skilled than their Metallica counterparts and they have more albums that I like at least one or two tracks on (the main exception being Risk).

13 hours ago, death_to_emos said:

both great band but megadeath is more consistant with good albums unlike metallica

Really?  The first four Metallica albums are one of the greatest "runs" of consistent and evolving output I could reference.  Not aware of any period of Megadeth that gets anywhere near that.

10 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Really?  The first four Metallica albums are one of the greatest "runs" of consistent and evolving output I could reference.  Not aware of any period of Megadeth that gets anywhere near that.

I agree, but I'd squeeze it to three! Save for "Blackened", "One", "Dyiers Eve" and some spare moments here and there, Justice bores me.

Besides, it's the third album in a row that i) features a quiet intro followed by a fast thrasher,  ii) whose title track is placed as track number two, iii) features a lenghty instrumental, iv) features one more fast thrasher, v) feaetures one more thrash ballad.

To me Justice offers no QUALITATIVE innovation. Just QUANTITATIVE (as in more riffs, more minutes per track, stuff like that).

As for Megadeth... well, I love "Killing is my business", but it certainly a flawed record... "Peace Sells" is almost perfect (leave Willie Dixon to Led Zeppelin, or, even better, to Chess recording artists) and so is "Rust in Peace".

"So Far" offers the worst album sleeve ever paired with an entirely useless cover ("Anarchy in the UK" with Jones himself), some great rehashed songs ("In My Darkest Hour" is a variation on "For Whom The Bell Tolls", a legitimate one, though, as that riff was Mustaine's), some great new songs ("Set the World Afire" and "Mary Jane" above all, IMHO) and some merely ok songs ("502", "Liar" and "Hook in Mouth"). Not entirely a misfire, but definitely inferior to its predecessor and successor.

"Rust in Peace" is amazing. Every single time I listen to it I get excited by something different! It's such a RICH album! Tracks like "Poison Was The Cure" or "Take No Prisoners" say so much in so little time that they leave me speechless everytime.

Justice has been my favorite Metallica album for years now. I'd argue that you're wrong about it not being a significant step forward for them (and the qualitative/quantitative distinction is unhelpfully analytical IMO). The tonality of the riffs and melodies is darker than their previous stuff, the songs are long but manage to stay engaging and memorable without devolving into rock cliches, James's vocals are on fire. I even dig the weirdly dry and compressed sound. The kind of album structure you mention wasn't confined to Metallica by any means. I think it's a cool way of arranging albums for two-sided formats, and it gives them a little bit of an arc. Also, for my money, innovation and musicianship aren't worth too much without songwriting, and at least in their first decade, Metallica approached songwriting with a focus and clarity that put most bands to shame. "One" is the only track I'll skip; maybe it's because I've heard it so many fucking times since I was a kid.

Those old Metallica albums are amazing, aren't they. 

I'm going to say that overall I prefer Megadeth to Metallica. There's no getting away from the fact that 'Puppets' and 'Justice' are great, all time classics, but there's something about 'Rust', 'Countdown' and especially 'Youthanasia' that keeps me coming back to Megadeth. In fact, 'Youthanasia' is one of my favourite albums. It's so doomy and juicy. 

16 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Really?  I have never heard it through in full.  Might take that as your first recommendation that you tacitly/unknowingly have just made to me and listen to it later.

Be warned, it's no up-tempo thrash classic. Very few people seem to love it as much as I do. For me it's more of a melodic metal album with an emphasis on dark atmosphere. If you're looking for another 'Peace Sells' you'll be disappointed. 

Songs like 'Addicted to Chaos' and 'Blood of Heroes' are masterpieces of mid-paced doomy melodic metal with catchy choruses. In fact, possibly with the exception of 'Holy Wars', I think 'Addicted to Chaos' from Youthanasia is, in my opinion, the best Megadeth song ever written. The structure, the amazing chorus that morphs slightly towards the end into a call and response type arrangement, the little guitar bridges between riffs. It's the full package and in 1994 was just perfect. 

Word of advice, I prefer the original 1994 mix to the more modern remix that I think was done around 2012 or thereabouts that took a little bit of the bottom end heaviness out. The original mix is the best. 

6 hours ago, Requiem said:

Be warned, it's no up-tempo thrash classic. Very few people seem to love it as much as I do. For me it's more of a melodic metal album with an emphasis on dark atmosphere. If you're looking for another 'Peace Sells' you'll be disappointed. 

Songs like 'Addicted to Chaos' and 'Blood of Heroes' are masterpieces of mid-paced doomy melodic metal with catchy choruses. 

Word of advice, I prefer the original 1994 mix to the more modern remix that I think was done around 2012 or thereabouts that took a little bit of the bottom end heaviness out. The original mix is the best. 

Agreeing with this,  no thrash here but not shit by any means.  Better than I recall although unlikely to rush out and buy it.  Better than any post Black album Metallica anyways.

EDIT - Been back to this twice now this afternoon/evening and the hard rock riffs are in blatant abundance on here but the thing is they really work with that slowed down and melodic edge you mention.  It's an album that if you knew no better you could almost assume to be a side project of Mustaine's with only that allusion of a more technical edge to the lead work showing the only other familiar hallmark of the Megadeth sound aside from Mega Dave's vocal style.  

Just listened back through some "Countdown..." tracks earlier and fuck me do they sound tired and poorly composed nowadays.  I actually enjoyed the blunt edge of "Rust In Peace" better when I played that earlier also.

17 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Agreeing with this,  no thrash here but not shit by any means.  Better than I recall although unlikely to rush out and buy it.  Better than any post Black album Metallica anyways.

EDIT - Been back to this twice now this afternoon/evening and the hard rock riffs are in blatant abundance on here but the thing is they really work with that slowed down and melodic edge you mention.  It's an album that if you knew no better you could almost assume to be a side project of Mustaine's with only that allusion of a more technical edge to the lead work showing the only other familiar hallmark of the Megadeth sound aside from Mega Dave's vocal style.  

Just listened back through some "Countdown..." tracks earlier and fuck me do they sound tired and poorly composed nowadays.  I actually enjoyed the blunt edge of "Rust In Peace" better when I played that earlier also.

Another thing 'Youthanasia' has going for it is what I consider the optimal Megadeth lineup of Mustaine, Ellefson, Friedman and Menza. A champion team and a team of champions. 

16 minutes ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

I must give "Youthanasia" a try then. I'll try to pick a used copy of the original release (remixes do not make sense).

I have the same feeling about "Countdown". That records fucking sucks cocks in hell.

'Youthanasia' is a lot more lush and orchestral, if I can use those terms, compared with the colder and more sterile sounds of 'Countdown'. I actually really like 'Countdown', but it doesn't have the emotion and gravitas of 'Youthanasia'. 

I really prefer Megadeth, even though it just seems obvious Metallica is the superior band. But I love those early Megadeth records because they have so much personality. The vocals are so unique and idiocyncratic, and the guitar style is fantastic. Of course, with Megadeth the focus is mostly on Mustaine, whereas with Metallica all four members are fantastic musicians. Trujillo is an extremely underrecognized musician for being such a rockstar IMO.

One issue I have with Metallica is that when I first heard them and explored their stuff as a teenager, to me James Hetfield really sounded like a whiny, dweeby jock trying his best to sound tough like Lemmy Kilmister and failing hilariously. Obviously, this is a bit off base, but it was sort of the first impression. But maybe because Metallica tempered their thrash sound with a sort of broad appeal hard rock sound, they always felt kind of watered down for me - when I hear them, I tend to feel like I want something more substantial to sink my teeth into, whether it be Slayer, Cro-Mags, or whoever. Megadeth isn't really any harder, but they have such a unique sound that they feel like a singularity - when I hear Mustaine, I'm not reaching for anything else, because there is no one else quite like him.

As a side note, though I do love those early Megadeth records, I did think it was ridiculous and kind of pathetic when Mustaine had Rotting Christ kicked off a festival because he'd gone fundamentalist Christian. 

A little more positively, I recently watched part of Some Kind of Monster, and I burst out laughing when Mustaine said to Ulrich "I never talked to my little Danish friend again..."

On 2/21/2017 at 2:06 AM, Amebix said:

I really prefer Megadeth, even though it just seems obvious Metallica is the superior band. But I love those early Megadeth records because they have so much personality. The vocals are so unique and idiocyncratic, and the guitar style is fantastic. Of course, with Megadeth the focus is mostly on Mustaine, whereas with Metallica all four members are fantastic musicians. Trujillo is an extremely underrecognized musician for being such a rockstar IMO.

One issue I have with Metallica is that when I first heard them and explored their stuff as a teenager, to me James Hetfield really sounded like a whiny, dweeby jock trying his best to sound tough like Lemmy Kilmister and failing hilariously. Obviously, this is a bit off base, but it was sort of the first impression. But maybe because Metallica tempered their thrash sound with a sort of broad appeal hard rock sound, they always felt kind of watered down for me - when I hear them, I tend to feel like I want something more substantial to sink my teeth into, whether it be Slayer, Cro-Mags, or whoever. Megadeth isn't really any harder, but they have such a unique sound that they feel like a singularity - when I hear Mustaine, I'm not reaching for anything else, because there is no one else quite like him.

As a side note, though I do love those early Megadeth records, I did think it was ridiculous and kind of pathetic when Mustaine had Rotting Christ kicked off a festival because he'd gone fundamentalist Christian. 

A little more positively, I recently watched part of Some Kind of Monster, and I burst out laughing when Mustaine said to Ulrich "I never talked to my little Danish friend again..."

What makes Metallica seem like the obviously superior band? Popularity?

Also, I think in Megadeth, while there is focus on Mustaine, to me it seems that the lead guitarist (currently Kiko Loureiro) is almost always shown off in the music.

Hard for me to look twice at nowadays Metallica due to Trujillo. Ever since he agreed to record bass over Bob Daisley's work on 'Blizzard of Ozz' and 'Diary for a Madman' I wrote him out of my will. Glad they reinstalled the original drums and bass for those albums. 

As for Hetfield's vocals, I've never really been a fan. I much prefer Mustaine's voice. It's cool. There was always something about Metallica that put me off a little compared with Megadeth. Like a certain dryness to their sound and approach. I don't know how to explain it. 

7 hours ago, Will said:

What makes Metallica seem like the obviously superior band? Popularity?

Also, I think in Megadeth, while there is focus on Mustaine, to me it seems that the lead guitarist (currently Kiko Loureiro) is almost always shown off in the music.

You're right that the guitar work in Megadeth is a major focus, and they're often considered the most technical of the big 4 of thrash. That said, when people think of Megadeth, it seems like they think of it as "Dave Mustaine's band," as if the two are almost synonymous.

The thing that makes me see Metallica as the superior band is the range and diversity of their music, and their influence. Like a lot of people, Metallica completely lost me with the Black Album. But they kept moving forward and being relevant, and even before that they had diverse, ambitious albums that were massively influential - I'm surprised how often I hear Ride the Lighting come up when bands talk about influences.

Again, I prefer Megadeth, but I find that their development wasn't quite as successful. When I think of Megadeth, I just want to hear those early albums like Peace Sells, and I'm expecting that aggressive guitar noodling, Mustaine's growl, and pessimistic, socially critical subject matter. For my personal taste, Metallica never came up with anything that matched that dynamic with me, but to me Megadeth was that dynamic. When they moved on and changed their sound, they always sounded more bland to me. I never wanted to hear Mustaine learn to sing with cleaner vocals, and I never wanted them to get big budget production and almost proggy theatrical ideas.

9 hours ago, Requiem said:

Ever since he agreed to record bass over Bob Daisley's work on 'Blizzard of Ozz' and 'Diary for a Madman' I wrote him out of my will. Glad they reinstalled the original drums and bass for those albums. 

Oh yeah! That was one sin that shall not be forgiven! What a shame...

The originals are two of my all time favorite records!