METALLICA vs megadeth

Moombz

9 hours ago, Balor said:

When?

I think there may have been a couple of times, earliest I found was 2009 but that video seems gone. There's one dated 2012 that's still up but that may just be a reupload of the earlier one.

6 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

That doesn't surprise me one bit. Alex Jones is cancer incarnate.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

That's probably the fluoride talking.

15 hours ago, Will said:

I think there may have been a couple of times, earliest I found was 2009 but that video seems gone. There's one dated 2012 that's still up but that may just be a reupload of the earlier one.

That's probably the fluoride talking.

I will have to look it up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Easily Megadeth for me. I like some of the earlier Metallica stuff but i always preferred the intricate and insane guitar wizardry of Dave Mustaine and his punky sounding vocals. The only Megadeth albums i really dislike are "Risk" and "The Worlds Needs a Hero" but otherwise their output is solid as a rock. I would consider their first four albums to be the holy bible of thrash metal, but that´s just me.

With Metallica i only reall enjoy the first three albums and everything after that is mostly wasted on me with the exception of a song or two. Hate Kirk´s over reliance on wah pedals and James Hetfield´s voice isn´t my cup of tea either. Just middel of the road thrash for me.

9 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I agree with this. Great tone, great delivery, great sense of how to put a vocal hook together. Yeah, he's got some cheesy mannerisms, but at least he sounds like himself.

I disagree with this, and disagree with Balers and agree with Benjamin (think I got all that right). 

Hetfield's vocals have never been a highlight for me, and I find that kind of mid range bark a bit annoying. This is another reason why I prefer Megadeth: Mustaine's voice. That whiney singing thing that he does across some great choruses just sounds fantastic to me. They give the Megadeth songs an anthemic quality that really appeals to me. 

Ironically, I really love Nick Holmes' (Paradise Lost) vocals on albums like 'Icon' and 'Draconian Times' where he sort of sounds like Hetfield a bit. Great vocals on those albums, so I guess context counts for a lot. 

6 hours ago, Requiem said:

I disagree with this, and disagree with Balers and agree with Benjamin (think I got all that right). 

Hetfield's vocals have never been a highlight for me, and I find that kind of mid range bark a bit annoying. This is another reason why I prefer Megadeth: Mustaine's voice. That whiney singing thing that he does across some great choruses just sounds fantastic to me. They give the Megadeth songs an anthemic quality that really appeals to me. 

Ironically, I really love Nick Holmes' (Paradise Lost) vocals on albums like 'Icon' and 'Draconian Times' where he sort of sounds like Hetfield a bit. Great vocals on those albums, so I guess context counts for a lot. 

Mustaine's voice completely ruins Megadeth for me, full stop.

20 hours ago, Balor said:

Really?  I always though Hetfield's vocals were one of the highlights of Metallica.

Don´t get me wrong they are not bad or intolerable. It´s just i personally find them totally bland and your stereo typical metal barking stuff. But i always gravitate to the more unique voices like Mustaine, Baloff, Jello Biafra, King Diamond, Schmier just to name a few.

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Mustaine's voice completely ruins Megadeth for me, full stop.

I like Mustaine's vocals, but only to a certain point.  The "whiny" tinge that @Requiem points out can just become too much at some points.

I also would not call Hetfield's vocals bland or generic.  In fact, I have yet to find another voice that sounds like his.  He is a balanced singer, and can pull off both fast and slow songs better than any of the other major thrash vocalists.  To me, he is able to adapt and excel in a variety of musical circumstances, whereas others only sound great within the narrow confines of their typical brand of thrash.

6 hours ago, Balor said:

I like Mustaine's vocals, but only to a certain point.  The "whiny" tinge that @Requiem points out can just become too much at some points.

I also would not call Hetfield's vocals bland or generic.  In fact, I have yet to find another voice that sounds like his.  He is a balanced singer, and can pull off both fast and slow songs better than any of the other major thrash vocalists.  To me, he is able to adapt and excel in a variety of musical circumstances, whereas others only sound great within the narrow confines of their typical brand of thrash.

That point with Mustaine's vocals happens for me about two seconds after he opens his mouth. Just intolerable. Not to bash the music, clearly I'm missing out, but I can't hang.

As far as Hetfield goes, yeah, he was a trailblazer and his voice is instantly recognizable so I don't get how anyone could call him "generic". I've heard a lot of people who are objectively better at singing, but I can't imagine anyone else's voice or approach suiting their songs anywhere near as well as he does. 

The other point of comparison between Metallica and Megadeth that deserves discussion is their slow songs.  Both have done some that are really great (Metallica: "Nothing Else Matters," "Fade to Black"; Megadeth: "À tout le monde," "Poisonous Shadows"). 

Overall, I would rank Metallica's tracks higher.  They have better guitar work, evoke a stronger atmosphere, and convey stronger emotion.  Thoughts?

On 12/23/2019 at 4:48 AM, Balor said:

The other point of comparison between Metallica and Megadeth that deserves discussion is their slow songs.  Both have done some that are really great (Metallica: "Nothing Else Matters," "Fade to Black"; Megadeth: "À tout le monde," "Poisonous Shadows"). 

Overall, I would rank Metallica's tracks higher.  They have better guitar work, evoke a stronger atmosphere, and convey stronger emotion.  Thoughts?

Metallica definitely has better slow songs, because Megadeth don’t really have many. Even songs like ‘In My Darkest Hour’ are still pretty energetic. 

‘Nothing Else Matters’, ‘The Unforgiven’ and ‘Fade to Black’ kill on that front. 

5 hours ago, Balor said:

These are probably Metallica's best songs too.  It would be really cool if there were some doom metal covers of them, but I have not come across any.

They have some amazing moments, Metallica. For instance, the opening guitar strains of 'Blackened' that start off the 'And Justice for All Album' are some of my favourite 20 odd seconds of music ever. They could easily translate to a gothic doom album. That would be amazing. I just don't see it happening though...

One of the reasons that I love Megadeth's 'Youthanasia' more than any other Megadeth album (or Metallica album for that matter) is because it's basically a melodic doom record. The songs are mostly all medium-slow in pace, melodic and with booming drums and production. This has been reduced significantly on the remastered version, but the original has this layer of doom across it that is amazing. There are many epic sounding intros and moments. 

Furthermore, the lyrics of songs like 'Addicted to Chaos', 'Youthanasia', 'A Tout Le Monde', 'Elysian Fields' etc could have come off a Katatonia album they're that bleak. I was thinking about this while listening to the album while I was gardening the other day. 

'Youthanasia' - classic 'doom' album that I've loved since 1994. Here's the title track to prove my point. 

On 12/29/2019 at 10:45 PM, Requiem said:

One of the reasons that I love Megadeth's 'Youthanasia' more than any other Megadeth album (or Metallica album for that matter) is because it's basically a melodic doom record. The songs are mostly all medium-slow in pace, melodic and with booming drums and production. This has been reduced significantly on the remastered version, but the original has this layer of doom across it that is amazing. There are many epic sounding intros and moments. 

Furthermore, the lyrics of songs like 'Addicted to Chaos', 'Youthanasia', 'A Tout Le Monde', 'Elysian Fields' etc could have come off a Katatonia album they're that bleak. I was thinking about this while listening to the album while I was gardening the other day. 

'Youthanasia' - classic 'doom' album that I've loved since 1994. Here's the title track to prove my point. 

Youthanasia is probably my favorite Megadeth release for the same reasons that you mention,  The atmosphere and emotion of the songs actually worked well with Mustaine's voice on the whole thing.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Huge megadeth fanboy here, which absolutely does nothing to take away blaaacdoomm fan's point and others who rightfully point to the first 3, and I'll throw AJfA in there so make it 4, 'tallica records as being foundational and basically flawless metal output. BUT, at his most transcendent, Dave gets the nod for me. And then duration of output. I will allow the Black Album to exist in my mind but everything after that is dead to me, and not in a good way. And this is someone who will still shill out a couple hundred bucks to take the wife to Metallica shows. No hate, but to quote BB King the thrill is gone, baby, since about 1992. Dave, on the other hand, continues to delight, albeit randomly and sometimes through hidden gems. And to the earlier point, Rust in Peace is my all time favorite record but its really close with Ride the Lightning. So to say that the first 3 or 4 'tallica records are flawless is true, but should not take away from the flawlessness of RiP, Peace sells, and then you throw in the many many brilliant songs spanning the rest of the megadeth discog and its kind of a no-brianer imo. But if you were to say there was never any thrash metal better than 'tallica with Cliff, I would not argue. So I guess we can go ahead and consider this comparison settled for all time and never again will anyone debate these two bands.

Hmmmm. Obviously I liked both bands back in the day 30 years ago but I have not felt the urge to listen to a MegaDave album in probably 20 years now. Never understood why this was even a debate. While I understand Dave was in both bands and that forever links them, the two bands became quite different things after the first 2 albums or so, I reckon most people are gonna clearly prefer one over the other. I never got the widespread adulation for Rust either, I wouldn't even consider it to be Dave's best album. Like most bands, I don't concern myself with any of their output past the first 5 albums give or take. I don't see how a serious case could honestly be made that MegaDave's project could even be on the same level as Metallica much less considered the better band. Musicianship and technicality and how many notes per bar you can play are completely besides the point to me. I only care about riffs and songwriting. Every tune on RtL alone shits all over everything Dave ever did or will ever do. But that's me.

There have been moments where I thought Captive Honour is the best metal song ever haha, and I'm not even kidding. And that's an after thought on an excellent, but often dismissed record in its own right in Countdown. And there are a bunch of other absolute bangers hidden around his later output. I do appreciate the wizardry and utter mastery of his fretwork, and originality. I know a lot of people hate his voice and persona, but the vocal melodies and lyrics for that matter are actually under rated imo, I think he just turns people off. Like I said, I am a fanboy and nothing is going to change that. With that said, he does appear to be a whackjob to the extent I don't even know what his actual beliefs or opinions are...suffice to say probably all the way right but into some weird dimension where there is only really room for himself. But those tunes...if it wasn't for 'I ain't Superstitious' Peace Sells would be hands down the most epic thrash album and I'd say it splits time in my consideration with RiP and RtL which I won't really argue as being the single best album of those years.