METALLICA vs megadeth

Moombz

16 hours ago, Amebix said:

The thing that makes me see Metallica as the superior band is the range and diversity of their music, and their influence. Like a lot of people, Metallica completely lost me with the Black Album. But they kept moving forward and being relevant, and even before that they had diverse, ambitious albums that were massively influential - I'm surprised how often I hear Ride the Lighting come up when bands talk about influences.

Fair enough, mate. I was just wondering because it wasn't obvious to me. Metallica are a huge influence, but I would argue that Megadeth are also pretty diverse.

You're right that the guitar work in Megadeth is a major focus, and they're often considered the most technical of the big 4 of thrash. That said, when people think of Megadeth, it seems like they think of it as "Dave Mustaine's band," as if the two are almost synonymous.

I get that but a lot of the times when fans talk, lines like "Marty Friedman is a god" are often thrown around. 

When I think of Megadeth, I just want to hear those early albums like Peace Sells, and I'm expecting that aggressive guitar noodling, Mustaine's growl, and pessimistic, socially critical subject matter. 

I don't know if you've heard any recent albums of theirs but that basically sums up the first few tracks on Dystopia too.

14 hours ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

Oh yeah! That was one sin that shall not be forgiven! What a shame...

The originals are two of my all time favorite records!

Me too. I'm a mad Ozzy fan. 

Furthermore, I always found it odd that Trujillo joined Metallica. He just seems like a bad fit. You look at them on stage and there's James, Lars and Kirk all wearing black and having a certain image - like they're a unit. Then Trujillo is wearing baggy shorts and a basketball singlet. It's like, what the hell? 

Nah, the Black Album is the last time I was interested in the 'Tallica. Not that I'm a fan of the last four or five Megadeth albums either though to be honest. I couldn't even tell you who was in Megadeth these days. Don't care either. 

15 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Furthermore, I always found it odd that Trujillo joined Metallica. He just seems like a bad fit. You look at them on stage and there's James, Lars and Kirk all wearing black and having a certain image - like they're a unit. Then Trujillo is wearing baggy shorts and a basketball singlet. It's like, what the hell? 

I never really thought Newsted a "proper" fit either to be honest - although I accept him a better one than Trujillo.

9 hours ago, Parker said:

Megadeth has better riffs, Metallica arranges better songs. If Metallica broke up after Justice or the black album, I'd say they were better. As it stands I really can't say.

I mostly agree with you! I sorta fancied the Suicidal Tendencies records with Trujillo, but that's about it.

One thing I do not agree with, though, is that Metallica's and Megadeth's latest albums were lame.

They were GREAT! Megadeth's "Dystopia" is truly excellent! Metallica's "Hardwired... to Self-Destruct" is more of a hit or miss kind of record, but there is one song that sky rocketed into my top 10 Metallica songs evere. "SPIT OUT THE BONE"!

I love that track! Great riffs, great arrangement and most of all GREAT MELODIES! And great lyrics too!

14 hours ago, Skull_Kollektor said: Oh yeah! That was one sin that shall not be forgiven! What a shame...

The originals are two of my all time favorite records!

Me too. I'm a mad Ozzy fan. 

Furthermore, I always found it odd that Trujillo joined Metallica. He just seems like a bad fit. You look at them on stage and there's James, Lars and Kirk all wearing black and having a certain image - like they're a unit. Then Trujillo is wearing baggy shorts and a basketball singlet. It's like, what the hell? />

True but let's remember Cliff was also the 'odd one out' - both in terms of his image (bell bottom wearing 60s love child) and musical background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, True Belief said:

True but let's remember Cliff was also the 'odd one out' - both in terms of his image (bell bottom wearing 60s love child) and musical background.

This is true. It's really interesting to speculate (for about three seconds) about what he would have thought of the band's eventual direction, and how soon he would have jumped ship. 

Mick Wall's book 'Enter Night' gives a really interesting account of the accident in Sweden or wherever it was that Cliff died. Freak accident. 

16 hours ago, MourningOblivion said:

Hopefully I won't get crucified, but I personally can't stand Metallica.

You certainly won't get crucified, but are you telling me that when that acoustic guitar intro in 'Battery' starts up, then finally launches into the opening riff "da di daaa, da di daaa, da di da da, da da", or when the 'Master of Puppets' riff starts: "dun, dun dun duuuuun".... you don't get just a little bit excited? 

On 26/02/2017 at 8:28 PM, Requiem said:

You certainly won't get crucified, but are you telling me that when that acoustic guitar intro in 'Battery' starts up, then finally launches into the opening riff "da di daaa, da di daaa, da di da da, da da", or when the 'Master of Puppets' riff starts: "dun, dun dun duuuuun".... you don't get just a little bit excited? 

I won't deny, there are many riffs that kick ass and they're definitely pioneers in the metal genre. But I dunno, not totally my piece of cake.

9 hours ago, MourningOblivion said:

I won't deny, there are many riffs that kick ass and they're definitely pioneers in the metal genre. But I dunno, not totally my piece of cake.

No you definitely won't get crucified. Most people that are really into metal think there are plenty of better thrash bands out there. Metallica are just the most well known and commercially accessible. Many good riffs, many good songs, but just not as monumentally great as they're made out to be.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the first three full-lengths for Metallica but I find myself listening to Megadeth more. Besides, I end up listening to other thrash metal bands anyway. Paradox, Razor, Heathen, Artillery, Flotsam and Jetsam, etc. They've just released more interesting material.

I'll admit, maybe part of the reason why I find it exhausting to listen to anything post-Ride the Lightning due to how overplayed a lot of the material is. 

2 hours ago, Ecthelion said:

I really like the first three full-lengths for Metallica but I find myself listening to Megadeth more. Besides, I end up listening to other thrash metal bands anyway. Paradox, Razor, Heathen, Artillery, Flotsam and Jetsam, etc. They've just released more interesting material.

I'll admit, maybe part of the reason why I find it exhausting to listen to anything post-Ride the Lightning due to how overplayed a lot of the material is. 

Each and everyone of those bands came in the aftermath of Metallica... all except one...

THE MIGHTY RAZOR! Those Canadians drank from the same source Metallica drank from... that is... mostly Venom, Exciter and Motorhead! At some point Razor started sounding closer to Slayer. When Slayer slowed down a bit by putting out "South of Heaven" (awesome record BTW), Razor put the pedal to the metal and gave us "Violent Restitution". 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I love both bands but, Megadeth is, for my money, better. Why? Well, I love complexity, and Megadeth surely beats Metallica there, just like in terms of musicianship and staying more loyal to the genre. Some Metallica records sound too soulless for me. Only things Metallica has that Megadeth doesn't is better vocals and that legendary albums, but, you have to admit, Dave's vocals are just lol, you have to at least laugh at them like you would laugh and roast your best friend. But why are we even comparing two trash bands?

16 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Bill O'Reilly? How the fuck did that happen?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Dave Mustaine posted a picture on Twitter of all of the Bill O'Reilly books that he had read, and then asked if O'Reilly would advertise the new Dystopia album on his show.  O'Reilly agreed, and played a portion of one of the music videos at the end of his show.  Here's a link with a video from the show.

http://www.metalinjection.net/metal-in-the-mainstream/bill-oreilly-acknowledges-that-megadeths-dave-mustaine-acknowledged-him

Dave Mustaine posted a picture on Twitter of all of the Bill O'Reilly books that he had read, and then asked if O'Reilly would advertise the new Dystopia album on his show.  O'Reilly agreed, and played a portion of one of the music videos at the end of his show.  Here's a link with a video from the show.
http://www.metalinjection.net/metal-in-the-mainstream/bill-oreilly-acknowledges-that-megadeths-dave-mustaine-acknowledged-him
Hmm, I guess that's less strange than I thought it would be. Dave Mustaine is a born-again neo-conservative whack job, so I'm not surprised that he's an O'Reilly fan.

On 01/01/2018 at 4:20 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

Hmm, I guess that's less strange than I thought it would be. Dave Mustaine is a born-again neo-conservative whack job, so I'm not surprised that he's an O'Reilly fan.

More surprising that O’Reilly reciprocated. We indeed live in strange times.