The Meaning of Life

Akuji

• 1 month later...

That's true. A person is his choice and action. We determine what we will be and what we are with our choices but I believe that the tiny existance of our "atom" called human is something more important than we think it is. I mean imagine the human body. We are made of cells. One cell is so small and so meaningless individually but in conjuction with the other cells costitute the human existance. So a single person which is so non-important accord with your point of view can be seen as a cell. The individualism challenges the meaning of life or the existance's but the section connects the cells and make them importnat and meaningfull. What's your view about that?

I was a bit o nihilist, pessimist and I used to have no hope for this world but the last year I started thinking more varied and and not "stucked" in the feeling of disappointment and sorrow which made me feel like a suicidal bepolic depressive shit and nothing more. My mind was so troubled and a fact happened in my life let me see it as something more important than you think. I dont to "put banners" in my self anymore and I believe the terminology of some philosophican limbs is a way to make you feel like you fleet somewhere. This is not a bad thing but you can easily have our own inner self made by you as a combine of more than one "thought cultures". Anyway are you sure you and your dog dont have a purpose in life? This is something so evoking for death dont you think?

Why do we exist? "so im sitting here...the sun is rising and after a long night of drinking my best friends (equally pissed as fuck) are sitting/lying beside me on New Brighton beach, I want to throw up and spin out...but I will hold it off because after the brawls and crawls of last night..this is why I exist, a small joy in this fuckery of life"

We exist because of billions of years of evolution. Our reason for being however is far more complicated. If there's a God then we probably exist purely for its entertainment (because you know an omnipotent being clearly digs the endless slaughter man commits against man). If not then I suppose we exist to procreate and further our species like the animals we are.

That's true. A person is his choice and action. We determine what we will be and what we are with our choices but I believe that the tiny existance of our "atom" called human is something more important than we think it is. I mean imagine the human body. We are made of cells. One cell is so small and so meaningless individually but in conjuction with the other cells costitute the human existance. So a single person which is so non-important accord with your point of view can be seen as a cell. The individualism challenges the meaning of life or the existance's but the section connects the cells and make them importnat and meaningfull. What's your view about that?
It's too easy to make analogies like this to try and aid our understanding. I don't think they're accurate. The reason we have to make analogies to begin with is that we're not equipped to understand most things in their own terms. All we are is patterns - patterns of matter, patterns of information. Those things persist for a while and then dissolve, and then we're gone. There doesn't need to be any separate entity or substance, and there doesn't need to be an ultimate reason for anything. We're programmed to look for reasons in everything because we evolved as social animals who had reasons for our actions and had to deal with the actions of others on a daily basis. If someone wasn't equipped to understand the motivations of people around him, that person would be at a severe disadvantage. So we feel dissatisfied if we can't figure out why things happen. But the rest of the universe is under no obligation to satisfy us by being understandable, or provide us with "reasons" for anything. It doesn't mean a thing. So what? Make friends and have fun.

Things happen because they happen. Life is little more then a collection of random events over an indeterminate period of time. There is no great meaning behind it all. As I said before our purpose is to procreate and raise the next generation of our species. This purpose hasn't changed over the billions of years of evolution which brought us to this point and will not change in the billions of years to follow.

Instinct is the reason we all do what we do. Free choice doesn't truly exist it is simply our interpretation of natural instincts. We see the same thing in the natural world. A pride of lions alter their approach to each kill. Human beings alter their approach to each situation which arises. In both cases it boils down to the same thing. We are no more or less complex then any other animal on this planet when you get right down to it we do all the same things just on a more destructive scale.

Take it a step further. To quote the character of Daniel Waterhouse in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, "it's billiard balls all the way down." Causality is complex, and strange, and that's enough to give us the illusion of free will, and the illusion of consciousness, and the illusion that we're so fucking special. But I don't see any way out of being a determinist. It's no big deal, though. I like playing guitar and drinking beer and hanging out with my wife and kid and my friends. I like writing music, painting, drawing, and reading. I like building things. That's good enough for me. I don't need to feel like I'll live forever in some other realm, or come back to this one, to give my life right now any meaning, and I don't need to think there's someone watching and judging all of my actions in order for them to be important to me. In fact I think the moments of our lives are far more precious because they happen just to us, just for us, and our lives are worth far more because they're so short and we only get one.