The Meaning of Life

Akuji

Re: The Meaning of Life The meaning of life...in my world, or mind, or yeah...i think The meaning of life, is Just to live, To do What you wan't to do, mostly My Father always says, ''you Could've done like that'', Yes i could have done like that, but now i didn't so Something else happend, The meaning of life, Comes down to each Person, what he/she thinks Personally, I mean, Some people think that, When you die, you come to heaven, And If you Sin in life, you Get to Hell, nah, You just Die, maybe reborn, or something,,Oh damn, i'm off-topic, Anyway, The Meaning of life, right now, in my eyes, is to live, and see what tomorrow Gives you, Happines Or Saddnes, Just wait and see

Re: The Meaning of Life

Well, there's a controversial statement... :? If it is not inflated and is allowed to fluctuate with the market it's fine. I hate inflated currency. Otherwise it's an accepted medium of exchange which is incredibly useful. I don't thank anyone denies that money is a huge part of life, but I think people are leery of saying outright that money is their purpose in life. I certainly want financial prosperity and stability, but to say that is the purpose of life seems petty, and narrow-minded.

It totally buy's happiness! I just pre-ordered the latest Cathedral album and when I have it I'll be bathed in insane joy. ;)
It buys happiness, as long as you can buy and buy and buy. 'Course it depends whether you want to distinguish between happiness and fulfillment.

It buys happiness, as long as you can buy and buy and buy. 'Course it depends whether you want to distinguish between happiness and fulfillment.
I'll be pretty fulfilled when I get that album! It's the special edition! ;) When it comes to Metal I get both happiness and fulfillment on both physical and spiritual levels.

I'll be pretty fulfilled when I get that album! It's the special edition! ;) When it comes to Metal I get both happiness and fulfillment on both physical and spiritual levels.
That's happened to me as well, but it is not the kind of very long-term fulfillment I'm looking for. My dad keeps asking me when exactly I'm going to stop buying metal, and I can never really give him a straight answer other than 'probably not for a while'. :? There have been some really great albums that I loved for a long time, but there's always the enticing promise of something new and awesome. Eventually I come to know all the songs on my Mp3 player so I want to get some more. This actually is an intriguing question: what level of fulfillment can we expect in this life?

That's happened to me as well, but it is not the kind of very long-term fulfillment I'm looking for. My dad keeps asking me when exactly I'm going to stop buying metal, and I can never really give him a straight answer other than 'probably not for a while'. :? There have been some really great albums that I loved for a long time, but there's always the enticing promise of something new and awesome. Eventually I come to know all the songs on my Mp3 player so I want to get some more. This actually is an intriguing question: what level of fulfillment can we expect in this life?
My dad asked me the same stupid question. I told him I'd stop when bands no longer make tangible releases and/or I die. As far as your new questions goes, I think the level of fulfillment would be directly related to what you want/expect out of life. If you acquire you're wants then you one would assume that you'd be fulfilled. Reality stops most of us from getting the bulk of what we truly desire. Be it lack of money, location, time, etc... I feel it's impossible to be completely fulfilled. Unless you have virtually no goals, dreams, wants... Which leads to another question: Should you follow your heart and try to do what you want as far as a job goes, or be realistic and take what's available?

My dad asked me the same stupid question. I told him I'd stop when bands no longer make tangible releases and/or I die. As far as your new questions goes, I think the level of fulfillment would be directly related to what you want/expect out of life. If you acquire you're wants then you one would assume that you'd be fulfilled. Reality stops most of us from getting the bulk of what we truly desire. Be it lack of money, location, time, etc... I feel it's impossible to be completely fulfilled. Unless you have virtually no goals, dreams, wants... Which leads to another question: Should you follow your heart and try to do what you want as far as a job goes, or be realistic and take what's available?
It's not a stupid question at all. :evil: It's perfectly understandable that he would want me to be responsible with my money. I would agree. As for following your heart or being realistic, I would recommend studying for what you want to do with enough courses to fall back on if you can't really get your desired job.

I would agree. As for following your heart or being realistic' date=' I would recommend studying for what you want to do with enough courses to fall back on if you can't really get your desired job.[/quote'] Or just not consider any other options and focus all your time and energy on achieving your goals? That's what Petrucci did. :D

I suppose there is something to gaining enough knowledge to become almost indispensable in your field...that said, for every Petrucci there are at least ten other guys who didn't get into a band or never got a record deal.

There is no such thing as being indispensable. Unless you own a non-publically traded company or are in a family own operation.
Fair enough. I'm planning to go into political science but it still behooves me to take other courses to make sure that if the field isn't open I can work in something else.

Fair enough. I'm planning to go into political science but it still behooves me to take other courses to make sure that if the field isn't open I can work in something else.
Also, I'm sorry if I'm coming off as harsh. I'm incredibly jaded and sometimes (perhaps more than I realize) it shows.

Re: The Meaning of Life That's fine - this is a thread for honesty. I would love to be an artist, but I don't consider that a feasible option. I think it's quite topsy-turvy in that world and it's not very likely I could make a good living off of it. The same goes for being an author.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: The Meaning of Life very interesting conversation, I think we all have certain things in our lives which prevent us from chasing the biggest of our dreams, for some it may be financial concerns, others it may be a matter of location and for some its family related. On the other hand there are some who will chase their dreams regardless of theze factors, some are lucky enough to catch them, for others it seems no matter how hard they try the dream stays just out of reach my dream is to one day be a successful lawyer so I can help fight some of the injustices of the world, but at the moment it seems that every time I think I'm getting close the dream pulls away again, which leads me to what I believe to be the meaning of life: to never give up on your dreams because they are never as distant as they seem

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The Meaning of Life The meaning of life is rather obvious and quite a simple thing to enjoy, really. It's living. I consider us, the human beings, as one of the many species on this planet. We use the nature's resources and do everything that animals do. We're just more complicated (Not advanced, complicated) due to our intelligence; That makes us demanding. I don't believe in wasting my life to worshiping or preaching about higher powers, so that I can forgive myself for my own stupidity in the end. And get to heaven. Bullshit. But little do I know, who can tell before his lips are already sealed forever? (To be honest, I actually thought of writing "The meaning of life is eating.")

• 2 months later...