Judas Priest or Motorhead?

Shadow

• 5 months later...

Well, Priest are a great band; hugely inspirational etc. That said, I'm not really a fan of much 80s metal as I find it a little too clean and image-driven. And this is the band that really helped start it all; the operatic vocals, the OTT (what I would call 'cheesy' artwork), the leather, the general guitar-wankery that would be expanded upon with power metal bands, and the de-emphasis on aggression. I much prefer the straight-ahead gnarly punk rock aggression of Motorhead and I'd choose Lemmy's whisky-drenched smoke-10-fags-a-day snarl over the cleaner, more operatic singers any day. No insult to Priest, and yes I know they predated the whole 80s metal thing, but this is my preference. :)

Re: Judas Priest or Motorhead?

Well' date=' Priest are a great band; hugely inspirational etc. That said, I'm not really a fan of much 80s metal as I find it a little too clean and image-driven. And this is the band that really helped start it all; the operatic vocals, the OTT (what I would call 'cheesy' artwork), the leather, the general guitar-wankery that would be expanded upon with power metal bands, and the de-emphasis on aggression. I much prefer the straight-ahead gnarly punk rock aggression of Motorhead and I'd choose Lemmy's whisky-drenched smoke-10-fags-a-day snarl over the cleaner, more operatic singers any day. No insult to Priest, and yes I know they predated the whole 80s metal thing, but this is my preference. :)[/quote'] You should give 70's Priest a listen, they were a completely different animal back then (with the exception of Defenders of the Faith). I would be extremely surprised if Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, and Stained Class didn't do anything for you. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not really a fan of much 80s metal
And here I was just starting to like you. I won't hold it against you ;) I grew up listening to 80's metal. It's what got me through the 80's. I had the big hair, and still kinda do lol Anyway, I say Judas Priest. I like Rob Halford's voice. I never really got into Motörhead. Maybe one day I will.

You should give 70's Priest a listen, they were a completely different animal back then (with the exception of Defenders of the Faith). I would be extremely surprised if Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, and Stained Class didn't do anything for you. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Cheers. I'll do that. I think I may have checked those out years ago, and I think I quite liked it. It's still no Motorhead, though! :D

And here I was just starting to like you. I won't hold it against you ;) I grew up listening to 80's metal. It's what got me through the 80's. I had the big hair, and still kinda do lol Anyway, I say Judas Priest. I like Rob Halford's voice. I never really got into Motörhead. Maybe one day I will.
Well, I'm not totally anti-80s metal... I love Motorhead and (surprisingly for me) Dio, and plenty of albums I really love from bands more associated with the 1990s came out towards the end of the 80s. Sepultura, Faith No More, and I obviously love Slayer, Kreator etc. I guess most 80s metal just doesn't really 'speak to me' in the way it does a lot of people here. I've always found I identify more with the 90s strain of so-called 'alternative' bands, and I notice people seem to either fall into this camp or the the one a lot of people here seem to fall in. You could say it's a bit of a shame, but that seems to be the way it goes; it is for me anyway. I like more stripped-back music and find a lot of the 80s bands too theatrical and showy. This is both why I like Motorhead so much and why I'm more a 90s fiend than an 80s fiend.

Well, I'm not totally anti-80s metal... I love Motorhead and (surprisingly for me) Dio, and plenty of albums I really love from bands more associated with the 1990s came out towards the end of the 80s. Sepultura, Faith No More, and I obviously love Slayer, Kreator etc. I guess most 80s metal just doesn't really 'speak to me' in the way it does a lot of people here. I've always found I identify more with the 90s strain of so-called 'alternative' bands, and I notice people seem to either fall into this camp or the the one a lot of people here seem to fall in. You could say it's a bit of a shame, but that seems to be the way it goes; it is for me anyway. I like more stripped-back music and find a lot of the 80s bands too theatrical and showy. This is both why I like Motorhead so much and why I'm more a 90s fiend than an 80s fiend.
I think the 80's and the 90's were both awesome decades for metal, I just like the mainstream stuff of the 90's less than the mainstream stuff of the 80's. For me, I would rather have an Iron Maiden, Dio, Queensryche, or Metallica, than a Soundgarden, Faith No More, Alice in Chains, Machine Head, etc... The 90's may have actually produced more bands and albums that I love, but I think the metal spectrum had a bit more consistent quality in the 80's. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Each decade has had something different to offer. That's the great thing about metal: it continues to evolve, most genres reach their logical conclusion and that's it. Metal, however, seems to always find some way of breaking new ground. That being said the genre does seem to have become a little stagnant in recent times.

I think the 80's and the 90's were both awesome decades for metal, I just like the mainstream stuff of the 90's less than the mainstream stuff of the 80's. For me, I would rather have an Iron Maiden, Dio, Queensryche, or Metallica, than a Soundgarden, Faith No More, Alice in Chains, Machine Head, etc... The 90's may have actually produced more bands and albums that I love, but I think the metal spectrum had a bit more consistent quality in the 80's. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Evidence of the 2 'camps' I was referring to. I much, much prefer the second list, and I think most heavy music fans are likely to much prefer one list to the other. There's probably a minority who enjoy both equally, and that's probably the best way to be, but you can't help what you like. I'd be bored to tears if I had to listen to the bands on your preferred list all day, whereas I rarely get sick of listening to the bands on the second list. I'd say your position is more widely held than mine certainly on here. It's not an age thing as I know people my age and younger that would completely agree with you, and I've met people twice my age who agree with me. I don't really know what does shape your preference, though.

Evidence of the 2 'camps' I was referring to. I much' date=' much prefer the second list, and I think most heavy music fans are likely to much prefer one list to the other. There's probably a minority who enjoy both equally, and that's probably the best way to be, but you can't help what you like. I'd be bored to tears if I had to listen to the bands on your preferred list all day, whereas I rarely get sick of listening to the bands on the second list. I'd say your position is more widely held than mine certainly on here. It's not an age thing as I know people my age and younger that would completely agree with you, and I've met people twice my age who agree with me. I don't really know what does shape your preference, though.[/quote'] Most people I have known fall into both camps, as it's really more like one camp in different decades; that of mainstream metal. It looks different, as does the mainstream metal of the 00's and that of this decade, but you'll find that most metal fans fall into those ranges. I can't relate it to level of depth into underground metal either, as there are also plenty of fans that like mainstream bands in all eras and underground bands. Can't say what it is, I just don't like the mainstream 90's sound much, despite 90's underground metal being some of my favorite stuff. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I like metal from every decade. That being said I have noticed with each passing decade the balance of 'mainstream' vs 'underground' bands tends to skew further to the latter side. The only 'mainstream' albums I own post 2000 are by bands established well before then (Priest, Maiden, Megadeth etc).

• 3 years later...

I have to go with Motörhead, pretty much without hesitation. I do think Judas Priest probably had more imagination. Rob Halford has an incredible voice, and the Judas Priest dual lead guitars were pivotal for metal, especially in power metal.

That said, for me personally Motörhead is one of the most empowering bands. They have this no bullshit, take no prisoners energy. The musicians that have been in Motörhead are great as well - the Fast Eddie / Philthy Phil line up is legendary. As far as albums go, Judas Priest never released anything that comes close to Overkill for me. 

The other thing is, although I do like power metal (point for Priest), everything I like in extreme metal goes back to Motörhead. In fact, everything I like in harder edged punk and rock music goes back to Motörhead as well. Without them, everything from Bathory to Amebix would've been unthinkable. 

Who do you love most? Mum or dad?

I cannot choose one over the other, I need both in my life, possibly in large doses!

...nonetheless I gotta say that Judas Priest has more relevant albums than Motorhead! With Motorhead I consider albums from "Overkill" to "Iron Fist" (included) as exceptional. I like the other 80's records and the early 90's records that came out on Sony/Epic, but I consider them inferior and somewhat redundant. When Mikkey Dee joined the band and they came up with "BASTARDS" they sort of upped their game again. I'm particularly fond of the later albums, especially "Inferno" and "Aftershock".

With Judas Priest the story is different, because from "Sad Wings of Destiny" up until "Painkiller" included every single record except for "Turbo" and "Ram It Down" (which I love anyway) was unique, historically relevant and revolutionary in a way (yes, I do consider "Point of Entry" a great record).

Motorhead is extreme consistency in hard rock and roll. Judas Priest means (or meant) forward looking (progressive in a way) heavy metal.

I would rate both bands as being severely overrated, mostly because I never really got into either of them. In fact, of the thousand plus CDs that I own only a Motörhead best of and a Judas Priest best of appear - no studio albums!

More than, say Iron Maiden or Metallica, I think you really had to be there to truly get the innovation and genius of Jusas Priest, because listening to them now I don't really get it. 

In the interests of this thread I'm going to say I prefer Motörhead. 

Who do you love most? Mum or dad?

I cannot choose one over the other, I need both in my life, possibly in large doses!

...nonetheless I gotta say that Judas Priest has more relevant albums than Motorhead! With Motorhead I consider albums from "Overkill" to "Iron Fist" (included) as exceptional. I like the other 80's records and the early 90's records that came out on Sony/Epic, but I consider them inferior and somewhat redundant. When Mikkey Dee joined the band and they came up with "BASTARDS" they sort of upped their game again. I'm particularly fond of the later albums, especially "Inferno" and "Aftershock".

With Judas Priest the story is different, because from "Sad Wings of Destiny" up until "Painkiller" included every single record except for "Turbo" and "Ram It Down" (which I love anyway) was unique, historically relevant and revolutionary in a way (yes, I do consider "Point of Entry" a great record).

Motorhead is extreme consistency in hard rock and roll. Judas Priest means (or meant) forward looking (progressive in a way) heavy metal.

I agree with their 70's stuff (Killing Machine was a big step down), but their 80's albums run the gamut from good (Defenders of the Faith) to decent (British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance) to shit (Turbo, Point of Entry). That said, their 70's masterworks still place them above Motörhead for me, even though Motörhead never released a bad album.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I agree with their 70's stuff (Killing Machine was a big step down), but their 80's albums run the gamut from good (Defenders of the Faith) to decent (British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance) to shit (Turbo, Point of Entry). That said, their 70's masterworks still place them above Motörhead for me, even though Motörhead never released a bad album.

Yeah, I also consider "Killing Machine" a big step down from "Stained Class", but luckily I more or less accidentally bought my JP albums in this order:

British Steel

Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather

Painkiller

Screaming for Vengeance

Defenders of the Faith

Sin after Sin

Stained Class

Point of Entry

Turbo

Ram it Down

Angel of Retribution

Rocka Rolla

Jugulator

Demolition

Sad Wings of Destiny (I couldn't find it in stores!)

Nostradamus

A Touch of Evil Live

Priest... Live

Unleashed in the East

Redeemer of Souls

Live Metldown

So, because of this, I only realized that "Killing Machine" was a stripped down more accessible affair later on. I was very satisfied with some of the songs of British Steel ("Rapid Fire", "Breaking the Law", "Metal Gods", "Grinder" and "The Rage" above all) but was a bit letdown by a few others ("United"). I liked "Living after Midnight" but I wisherd KK had played a longer solo on that KISS-kinda track. When I first heard "Killing Machine" I loved it because "Delivering the Goods", "Hell Bent for Leather" and "Running Wild" sounded incredible! I thought that it couldn't possibly be that their previous record, "Stained Class", was gonna be any heavier and more futuristic than that... but it actually was! 

"EXCITER" is crazy! That Les Binks intro, the melody in Glenn's solo, Rob's high shriek! That's Judas Priest's pinnacle for me...

7 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

Yeah, I also consider "Killing Machine" a big step down from "Stained Class", but luckily I more or less accidentally bought my JP albums in this order:

British Steel

Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather

Painkiller

Screaming for Vengeance

Defenders of the Faith

Sin after Sin

Stained Class

Point of Entry

Turbo

Ram it Down

Angel of Retribution

Rocka Rolla

Jugulator

Demolition

Sad Wings of Destiny (I couldn't find it in stores!)

Nostradamus

A Touch of Evil Live

Priest... Live

Unleashed in the East

Redeemer of Souls

Live Metldown

So, because of this, I only realized that "Killing Machine" was a stripped down more accessible affair later on. I was very satisfied with some of the songs of British Steel ("Rapid Fire", "Breaking the Law", "Metal Gods", "Grinder" and "The Rage" above all) but was a bit letdown by a few others ("United"). I liked "Living after Midnight" but I wisherd KK had played a longer solo on that KISS-kinda track. When I first heard "Killing Machine" I loved it because "Delivering the Goods", "Hell Bent for Leather" and "Running Wild" sounded incredible! I thought that it couldn't possibly be that their previous record, "Stained Class", was gonna be any heavier and more futuristic than that... but it actually was! 

"EXCITER" is crazy! That Les Binks intro, the melody in Glenn's solo, Rob's high shriek! That's Judas Priest's pinnacle for me...

I started with Stained Class, which is their masterpiece without question, so that may have made me less accepting of their more stripped down and poppy albums.

This is Priest by a good few lengths for me.  As much as i admire the attitude of the output of Motorhead I don't consider them to have any albums that compare to say a "Stained Class" or "Sad Wings..."; let alone a "Painkiller".  It was actually "Painkiller" that was my in road to the band but I soon discovered that although it was a great record the earlier output was stronger (albeit more influential to me too).

Last couple of Motorhead records I heard sounded poorly performed and mastered terribly to be honest and I haven't had time for Priest since "Painkiller" although "Nostradamus" has some decent tracks. Ripper era Judas Priest can just fuck off though!