IMMORTAL

Valfar

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
The best black metal band' date=' because they weren't obsessed with racism or murder or arson, they just concentrated on being so fucking evil and metal and it shows, they've made many flawless albums.[/quote'] True. I can't wait to see them live, I hope they'll still do shows in the U.S. at some point.

Immortal are good, and they had a really great liveshow at Wacken one year, 2007 maybe. Weird seeing three guys on that big stage in one corner each. At Heart of Winter is truly their best. But there are many acts i prefer when it comes to black metal. And they are just popping up more and more of them.

Immortal are good, and they had a really great liveshow at Wacken one year, 2007 maybe. Weird seeing three guys on that big stage in one corner each. At Heart of Winter is truly their best. But there are many acts i prefer when it comes to black metal. And they are just popping up more and more of them.
That is a big stage for any band, but I guess having less members would make it seem bigger. By the way, how loud were they? I'm not sure if this was where this picture was taken or not, but I'm curious about how large they could have sounded while using fake amp stacks: immortalfake.jpg I hope to see them live one day, but I'm pretty much with you. Great band, but I do prefer others to them.

• 5 years later...

I have been playing Demonaz “March of the Norse” today ahead of the new Immortal album which drops (here) tomorrow.  I don’t like Demonaz vocally but really enjoy “March...” for its NWOBHM guitar sound which blends well into the more obvious BM vibe.  Hearing good things about the new Immortal already but will see what tomorrow brings.

Immortal has been one of the few second wave bands that I could never get into.  As superficial as it sounds, I think that I just cannot get behind their image.  They seem a bit campy for me.  I have listened to tracks off of several of their albums, but never found them to be too remarkable.  Thought/suggestions on where to start?

Also, is it true that they were the first to introduce blast beats into black metal?  I remember reading that somewhere, but am unsure whether it is true.

15 hours ago, Balor said:

Immortal has been one of the few second wave bands that I could never get into.  As superficial as it sounds, I think that I just cannot get behind their image.  They seem a bit campy for me.  I have listened to tracks off of several of their albums, but never found them to be too remarkable.  Thought/suggestions on where to start?

Also, is it true that they were the first to introduce blast beats into black metal?  I remember reading that somewhere, but am unsure whether it is true.

Abbath certainly didn’t help with some of his on stage antics in terms of the “campy” vibes.

I have massive amounts of time for “Pure Holocaust”, “At The Heart of Winter” and “Sons of Northern Darkness”.  For me they are 3 very different albums, from the blasting fury of “Pure Holocaust” to the epic songwriting of “At The Heart...” to the almost catchy riffing of “Sons...”

The debut is also okay but I have to say has not aged well.

8 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Abbath certainly didn’t help with some of his on stage antics in terms of the “campy” vibes.

I have massive amounts of time for “Pure Holocaust”, “At The Heart of Winter” and “Sons of Northern Darkness”.  For me they are 3 very different albums, from the blasting fury of “Pure Holocaust” to the epic songwriting of “At The Heart...” to the almost catchy riffing of “Sons...”

The debut is also okay but I have to say has not aged well.

To be completely honest, my problem was largely with Abbath (in regards to being campy).  I guess it is because I take black metal seriously (I recognize that it often has real world implications) and I want the musicians to take it seriously as well.  I view Immortal as almost inauthentic, in that they play black metal while simultaneously distancing themselves from real-world manifestations of "black metal ideology."  However, in the end, I think that music/art should be able to be appreciated without reference to background information.

Thanks, I will check those albums out.  I am pretty sure that I have listened to the debut before, and was not particularly amazed by it.

23 hours ago, Balor said:

Here's a Sarcofago track from a split released in 1986:

Bathory was less "messy chaos" and more "incessant pounding", but they had a few tracks with this sort of raw proto-blast, which became a second-wave staple:

2 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Here's a Sarcofago track from a split released in 1986:

Bathory was less "messy chaos" and more "incessant pounding", but they had a few tracks with this sort of raw proto-blast, which became a second-wave staple:

I figured that it was not true - honestly, I should have realized that myself a while ago.  I cannot remember where I heard that claim, though.

Requiem's Ranking of Immortal Albums from Witch's Hat to Blashyrkh King

One of the most lauded bands in black metal history, yet also one of the corniest with Abbath's foolishness. My personal favourite is when he runs down the hill with his guitar at a festival and face-plants. Google it. But beyond that crap lies a band that has changed the lives of generations. Here are the albums as I see them, an Immortal fan for 23 years. 

9. All Shall Fall (2009)

All indeed fell when this poor excuse for an album was flapped upon an unsuspecting public. Like everyone, I was excited - I bought a deluxe version with a clean sliding slip-case and fold out cover. But can I tell you a single song from it, or hum you a tune? No, I cannot. Abbath's final release with the band should have been an absolute classic, but it's a very forgettable piece. The songs lack pull and virtue. Album cover is really good with that foldout and the winterfrostdemon face (or whatever it is). 

8. Damned in Black (2000)

A victim of Immortal's bizarre "one album good/one album bad" pattern, this is the follow-up to 'At the Heart of Winter', and it's hilariously inept when compared with that album. It's ok though as a thrashy, commercial riff black metal album, and it's a great example of a shitty riff album rushed through under 37 minutes - Marduk, I'm looking at you, you cheapskates. Album cover is another threesome standing tall in battle gear. It's pretty cool, I guess. 

7. Blizzard Beasts (1997)

Could be a lot lower if it wasn't for the glorious 'Mountains of Might' which is really the precursor for the sound template of the next three albums. It's a great song. The rest of the album is pretty good too. No one talks about this album. Actually, I suspect that a lot of Immortal fans really only see their best efforts, but in truth they have a lot of duds. This album is about midway. Album cover is grim and intense with their faces up close. Frankly, it's awesome.

6. Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism (1992)

Great album. Goddamn classic. Yes, the video is hilarious and undoes so much good work. But when you stop watching youtube (you little fraud), and start listening to Immortal with candles, darkness and strong booze, this album shines over us all. The album cover is a brilliant depiction of black metal's early 90s aesthetic, and I like it exceedingly. 

5. Sons of Northern Darkness (2002)

Despite 'All Shall Fall' this is really the last Abbath album, and god what a classic it is. This is the end result of the new era of Immortal mid-paced riffing. The production is icy yet phat like the blubber of an elephant seal, and the songs are melodic yet battering. There is a lot more classic metal riffage here. Plenty of band shots to remind you that they're metal warriors of great power. The actual cover, with all three members, is dark and beautiful as they pose in their battle gear. 

4. Battles in the North (1995)

Now we're getting somewhere. Many might put the previous album above this, but I think this is overall more artistic and crushing. The songs are insanely fast, except the haunting final song about 'Blashrykh'. And there is nothing, I swear, nothing, better than those band on the snowy mountain shots. The riffs are Darkthrone black metal but sped up to 11, and there is nothing of the phat riffs of the future here - this is straight black metal and to hell with the public. Battles in the North. What an idea. What songs. Side note, the songs are out of order on my CD version, and I've written a nekrolist of the true order on note paper for my copy. What titles. And one of the great album covers of all time as they stand atop a snowy mountain, guitars immortal. 

3. Pure Holocaust (1993)

Flip a coin between this and 'Battles', but most people think this is better. I think this is slightly warmer on the ears and I think that counts for a lot of weaklings. The song titles are off the charts, and the general drive here is to a realm of frostbitten grim demons. In fact, it's the awkward English here that has spawned so many black metal memes and corniness that I, in my ignorance, use even to this day. This album is short, fast, and full of blast beats that present the first wave of Immortal - a blast band before they slow down and riff. The difference is clearly with Demonaz's black metal riffing to Abbath's thrashy style, and the new album will really say a lot  I think.. The album cover has Abbath, Demonaz and the dearly departed Eric (RIP), looking like only they hold the key to the best hairdressers in Bergen. Hail the music, hail the men, hail the dead, hail the pure holocaust. 

2. Northern Chaos Gods (2018)

I'll post a full account at some stage in this thread, but this album was the biggest surprise of the year. Demonaz, having shed himself from Abbath's clownish ways, has teamed up with Horgh for one brilliant sounding album. 'Gates to Blashyrkh' and 'Mighty Ravendark' are two or their greatest ever songs, and the production is huge. Excellent album cover. 

1. At the Heart of Winter (1997)

Is this better than 'Northern Chaos Gods'? I think so, and it has nostalgia for an extra push. This is icy, grim and frostbitten, yet also so goddamn catchy and metal. The power and beauty behind this album is that you can feel carried away through these riffs as they explore the frozen ravages of the human heart. It's amazing that Immortal could ever come up with this atmospheric and haunting album full of riffs. It's Abbath on guitar, writing riffs at his absolute best, free of the shackles of Demonaz's nagging. Hard to believe it was 21 years ago, those of us who were there. Album cover is a brilliant old school scene by the mighty Necrolord, of a haunted and frozen land, the likes of which we’ll never see again. 

On 7/11/2018 at 9:05 AM, Requiem said:

Requiem's Ranking of Immortal Albums from Witch's Hat to Blashyrkh King

One of the most lauded bands in black metal history, yet also one of the corniest with Abbath's foolishness. My personal favourite is when he runs down the hill with his guitar at a festival and face-plants. Google it. But beyond that crap lies a band that has changed the lives of generations. Here are the albums as I see them, an Immortal fan for 23 years. 

8. All Shall Fall (2009)

All indeed fell when this poor excuse for an album was flapped upon an unsuspecting public. Like everyone, I was excited - I bought a deluxe version with a clean sliding slip-case and fold out cover. But can I tell you a single song from it, or hum you a tune? No, I cannot. Abbath's final release with the band should have been an absolute classic, but it's a very forgettable piece. The songs lack pull and virtue. Album cover is really good with that foldout and the winterfrostdemon face (or whatever it is). 

7. Damned in Black (2000)

A victim of Immortal's bizarre "one album good/one album bad" pattern, this is the follow-up to 'At the Heart of Winter', and it's hilariously inept when compared with that album. It's ok though as a thrashy, commercial riff black metal album, and it's a great example of a shitty riff album rushed through under 37 minutes - Marduk, I'm looking at you, you cheapskates. Album cover is another threesome standing tall in battle gear. It's pretty cool, I guess. 

6. Blizzard Beasts (1997)

Could be a lot lower if it wasn't for the glorious 'Mountains of Might' which is really the precursor for the sound template of the next three albums. It's a great song. The rest of the album is pretty good too. No one talks about this album. Actually, I suspect that a lot of Immortal fans really only see their best efforts, but in truth they have a lot of duds. This album is about midway. Album cover is grim and intense with their faces up close. Frankly, it's awesome.

5. Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism (1992)

Great album. Goddamn classic. Yes, the video is hilarious and undoes so much good work. But when you stop watching youtube (you little fraud), and start listening to Immortal with candles, darkness and strong booze, this album shines over us all. The album cover is a brilliant depiction of black metal's early 90s aesthetic, and I like it exceedingly. 

4. Sons of Northern Darkness (2002)

Despite 'All Shall Fall' this is really the last Abbath album, and god what a classic it is. This is the end result of the new era of Immortal mid-paced riffing. The production is icy yet phat like the blubber of an elephant seal, and the songs are melodic yet battering. There is a lot more classic metal riffage here. Plenty of band shots to remind you that they're metal warriors of great power. The actual cover, with all three members, is dark and beautiful as they pose in their battle gear. 

3. Battles in the North (1995)

Now we're getting somewhere. Many might put the previous album above this, but I think this is overall more artistic and crushing. The songs are insanely fast, except the haunting final song about 'Blashrykh'. And there is nothing, I swear, nothing, better than those band on the snowy mountain shots. The riffs are Darkthrone black metal but sped up to 11, and there is nothing of the phat riffs of the future here - this is straight black metal and to hell with the public. Battles in the North. What an idea. What songs. Side note, the songs are out of order on my CD version, and I've written a nekrolist of the true order on note paper for my copy. What titles. And one of the great album covers of all time as they stand atop a snowy mountain, guitars immortal. 

2. Pure Holocaust (1993)

Flip a coin between this and 'Battles', but most people think this is better. I think this is slightly warmer on the ears and I think that counts for a lot of weaklings. The song titles are off the charts, and the general drive here is to a realm of frostbitten grim demons. In fact, it's the awkward English here that has spawned so many black metal memes and corniness that I, in my ignorance, use even to this day. This album is short, fast, and full of blast beats that present the first wave of Immortal - a blast band before they slow down and riff. The difference is clearly with Demonaz's black metal riffing to Abbath's thrashy style, and the new album will really say a lot  I think.. The album cover has Abbath, Demonaz and the dearly departed Eric (RIP), looking like only they hold the key to the best hairdressers in Bergen. Hail the music, hail the men, hail the dead, hail the pure holocaust. 

1. At the Heart of Winter (1997)

Easily the best Immortal album, and anyone who suggests otherwise clearly hasn't heard it. This is icy, grim and frostbitten, yet also so goddamn catchy and metal. The power and beauty behind this album is that you can feel carried away through these riffs as they explore the frozen ravages of the human heart. It's amazing that Immortal could ever come up with this atmospheric and haunting album full of riffs. It's Abbath on guitar, writing riffs at his absolute best, free of the shackles of Demonaz's nagging. Hard to believe it was 21 years ago, those of us who were there. Album cover is a brilliant old school scene by the mighty Necrolord, of a haunted and frozen land, the likes of which we’ll never see again. 

I'm not sure how I'd rank Immortal's catalogue, but I think the albums that you rank in the middle (Blizzard Beasts, Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism, and Sons of Northern Darkness) are actually my favourites. At the Heart of Winter, Pure Holocaust, and Battles in the North would occupy the mid-tier. I remember not being overly impressed with Damned in Black or All Shall Fall either, but I'm willing to bet they're better than I give them credit for; they're long overdue for another listen.  

From what I've been able to sample, the new album sounds like it could have been released twenty years ago. Although Abbath's croak is missed, I find this change in direction refreshing and exciting. 

• 1 year later...

This thread has been left for dead, with nary a comment about ‘Northern Chaos Gods’! I’ll post an analysis of it when I have a computer handy. Amazing album, it’s possibly my favourites Immortal release. 

Anyway, I’m listening to it now and I am thinking, isn’t it funny that when the singer from Batushka steals that band from Kristoph or whatever his name is, everyone screams murder, but when Demonaz steals Immortal from Abbath everyone basically applauds. 

Demonaz hadn’t played on an Immortal album since 1995!! Sure, he wrote lyrics, but that’s a pretty thin link to actually take over the band.

Abbath wrote all the riffs, played guitar and did the vocals for 20 odd years after Demonaz stops playing due to injury, and he loses in the court case! And everyone, including me, is alright with it! Amazing. 

7 hours ago, Requiem said:

This thread has been left for dead, with nary a comment about ‘Northern Chaos Gods’! I’ll post an analysis of it when I have a computer handy. Amazing album, it’s possibly my favourites Immortal release. 

Anyway, I’m listening to it now and I am thinking, isn’t it funny that when the singer from Batushka steals that band from Kristoph or whatever his name is, everyone screams murder, but when Demonaz steals Immortal from Abbath everyone basically applauds. 

Demonaz hadn’t played on an Immortal album since 1995!! Sure, he wrote lyrics, but that’s a pretty thin link to actually take over the band.

Abbath wrote all the riffs, played guitar and did the vocals for 20 odd years after Demonaz stops playing due to injury, and he loses in the court case! And everyone, including me, is alright with it! Amazing. 

I think the difference is that Demonaz's songwriting prowess hasn't waned when (based on last output) Abbath's has.  Post 'Sons...' (and arguably most of ' Damned..') Immortal have been below par.  Listening to Abbath's paltry solo work it isn't too hard to join the dots when Demonaz walks back in and writes a killer opus like 'Northern Chaos Gods'. If the shoe were on the other foot we would be calling for Abbath to hire Perry Mason to get the rights back from Demonaz's grubby little mitts.